Avian Gamers Network

Forum
It is currently Fri May 10, 2024 2:26 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Need some advice
PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2005 9:42 pm 

I just started playing WOW and I need some advice I am starting off with a warlock but I am not sure what other professions I should pick up what professions best suit a warlock? Thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2005 10:51 pm 
Site Admin

With my Warlock I did tailor so that I could make my own armor. Then I did engineering because I was looking for an odd combination. However tailor is not a money maker. Nor is engineering. I did them more for the experience.

More profitable profession are herbs & Alchemy. That is the combo I did with my Priest. That way you could make your own mana potions, and other goodies. Meanwhile sell herbs on the AH for a good income

Any of the gathering professions can make you money if that is what you are looking for.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2005 1:05 am 

I am not really looking to make money I just want to have fun. Thats what I hated about SWg I had to work to much.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2005 3:44 am 
Spammer

I picked Tailoring and Enchanting for me Warlock. Tailoring is fun, you can pick up the mats very easily at a lower level and make your own armor.

Enchanting is more involved and depends on you cooperating with other players. You can't just drop your Enchants in the auction house, you need to meet up with the other player. Maybe skinning is a better choice, because you need leathers for some tailoring recipes, and you can pick those up pretty easily as well.

I found cooking to be an invaluable skill for a Warlock. It gives you a nice buff and helps you regenerate health. Health = Mana for a Warlock, so what's not to like?

Thorn

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2005 9:24 am 
teh Referrer

Along with Cooking, you will want to take Fishing.

BUt as a warlock, Tailoring is good. There are some (one?) great items that you can Make that you won't be able to get if you aren't a tailor.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2005 11:13 am 

My main is a mage, so a cloth wearer too.

At first I took Herb/ Alchemy. But after a while I found I didn't really need potions too much. I still almost never use mana pots and rarely drink health ones. I made more money selling herbs than potions and could easily afford the few potions I wanted.

As I neared 40 I switched from Alchemy to Skinning to make money for my mount. It was a good decision. Skinning is a real nice money maker and takes very little time.

I'm at about 400 gold now, working towards an epic mount. Once I get enough I'll drop skinning for Tailoring and probably drop Herbalism for Alchemy or Enchanting or Engineering.

I know you said money wasn't an issue, and I think it's pretty easy to make money in WOW, though sometimes it seems the opposite. But the gathering professions aren't a bad way to get into the game, and it's always nice to have cash when you want something. But I rarely buy anything from the AH but gear for my alts.

Good luck and send my a note if you need something. Eterne is my main.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2005 11:48 am 

Well I picked up Skinning and first aid yesterday and I think I will pick up tailor and cooking and fishing tonight or tomorrow. Next question I am at level 9 and I have done all the quest in the first 2 towns. Should I stay in the area and get to level 10 or should I move on?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2005 12:39 pm 
Spammer

What race are you?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2005 12:40 pm 

what race r u?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2005 2:31 pm 
Spammer

Ducky wrote:
Well I picked up Skinning and first aid yesterday and I think I will pick up tailor and cooking and fishing tonight or tomorrow.

Fishing is good, too. The real high end cooking stuff is mostly based on fishing reagents. I wish I had started early with fishing. Now I am too lazy to start from scratch.

Quote:
Next question I am at level 9 and I have done all the quest in the first 2 towns. Should I stay in the area and get to level 10 or should I move on?

Do whatever you feel like. If you have a quest that sends you to the next city, it is time to move on.

Edward

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2005 2:55 pm 

I am a Gnome... My Imp is almost bigger than me..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2005 4:40 am 

Well if you skip making stuff you could make some money, you say thats not so importent, however you need to make some money for spells and such. I did skinning/mining and sold it all, and i recommend it for a startup char. Herbalism would probably work well too. This way you never have to worry about the money part.

I'll just adress the professions i know, and that i have experience with:

I have mining/engineering on another char and that is great fun, however much of what an engineer makes if for own use. You make some good items to sell aswell. But engineering is probably not a good way to get money?

Skinning/lw'ing is pretty easy at least untill you have like 200ish in lw'ing. But not so easy to sell all you make, however armor kits usually sell good, or you can just sell skin if you need money

Herbalism/Alchemy is pretty handy, pretty easy, and high lvl health and mana pots sell pretty good

Enchanting i would not recommend for a first char, it require lots of green and blue items that you must destory to make enchants. If you get into a guild that supplies you with the items sure go for it, but a lot of ppl look at others offering enchants and look at the prices they charge and think its a sure way to get rich... Very very wrong

My overall experiance is that you get more for the raw materials that you do for the items you can make of it

As for secondary professions, if you do cooking and fishing remember that you can get recipes to cook the fish, and thats an easy way to skill cooking. Easy and cheap since it only require fish+fire. If you cant find recipes to the fish you catch look them up at

http://www.thottbot.com

However fishing require loads of patience, it gets REALLY slow in the end (i have 250ish now). But getting to 150ish is a breeze.

And if you dont do first aid, you can sell linnen, wool, silk etc for good prieces at the auctionhouse