Avian Gamers Network

Forum
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 2:19 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Quick hunter question
PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2006 9:33 am 

Hey all, quick question about hunters. I'm keeping my son today while he's out of school. He has a level 10 hunter that I know nothing about. I showed him how to get training and such .. and, I *thought* we got some pet training, but, how do you go about taming a pet? I don't see anything in the spell book or anything. How does this work? What am I missing?

Right now I have him fighting around Goldshire, then gonna move him to Westfall .. just because I know the area and can help him better. But, when it comes to the pet thing I was clueless and, since I'm "working from home" today I don't really have time to research it right now. Though maybe someone could give me a quickie primer.

Thanks!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2006 9:44 am 

To get your first pet you need to do a quest. I'm assuming that it's with your local Hunter trainer.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2006 10:27 am 
Spammer

GodOfGophers wrote:
To get your first pet you need to do a quest. I'm assuming that it's with your local Hunter trainer.

This true then after these quests are done you'll be able to tame other pets as well.

Its been well over a year since Zorrukk hit lvl 10, so I may be wrong but once these quests are done then your son can open up his spellbook and goto the Beast Mastery tab, in there will be two icons for helping tame pets.

Beast Lore will give him info about the beast what it eats and so on.

Tame Beast will let him actually attempt to tame a new pet. This can be difficult as it is a 20 second cast and during that time the beast will attack you, if successful the first thing you do if feed your new pet. When a pet is first tamed its loyalty lvl is 1 (it will reach 6 eventually) and the pet is unhappy, it is crucial to feed the pet until the little smile face goes from red(unhappy) to green(happy). Also with a new pet be sure to keep them happy at the time or they can run away then he'll have to tame a new one.

Many hunters take up fishing as this is a source of free food for some pets(this is where Beast Lore helps).

I hope this helps and I haven't gotten anything wrong its been at least 8 months since I tamed a new pet.

Also different pets have different abilities that you can learn to teach other pets. These skills are found in the general tab of his spellbook under Beast training.

It is possible to have up to 3 pets at one time. You just have to stable your 1st pet with the stable master( generally found right outside any inn) then go out and tame a new one. You may only have 1 pet with you at a time.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2006 10:46 am 
Spammer

Just follow what Z said and you'll be right on track.

Fishing is a great benefit for most pets. The toughest ones to feed are apes I believe which require sometimes hard to come by (and expensive from vendors) food.

Once you tame a pet, make sure you have a good stack or 2 or his required food or else he won't stay happy and as Z said, will run away from you and you have to tame something all over again.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2006 10:48 am 

GodOfGophers wrote:

Local, as, back at the Ironfordge area? I didn't see the quests when I trained him. Weird. I will research a bit more, but, thanks for pointing me in the right direction, this makes sense.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2006 11:09 am 

nasiobo wrote:
GodOfGophers wrote:

Local, as, back at the Ironfordge area? I didn't see the quests when I trained him. Weird. I will research a bit more, but, thanks for pointing me in the right direction, this makes sense.

If the hunter is a dorf, then yes you need to get back to Kharanos. If I recall correctly the hunter trainer is on a little hill across the road from the inn. Go see him and he'll get your son started on his pet quests.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2006 11:12 am 
Spammer

Angelus wrote:

Fishing is a great benefit for most pets. The toughest ones to feed are apes I believe which require sometimes hard to come by (and expensive from vendors) food.

Turtles are tough to feed also as I think they mainly eat fruit, wolves can be a pain as their diet is mainly red meat.

The only pets I've ever had are cats and bears, had a wolf briefly but was a pain to feed for me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2006 11:51 am 
Spammer

GodOfGophers wrote:
nasiobo wrote:
GodOfGophers wrote:

If the hunter is a dorf, then yes you need to get back to Kharanos. If I recall correctly the hunter trainer is on a little hill across the road from the inn. Go see him and he'll get your son started on his pet quests.

Yep, on the little hill. Took me a while to find him. ;)

While we're on the noob hunter questions (and yes, I *am* a noob hunter), if I stable a pet in Kharanos, can I get that pet back elsewhere, such as Menethil? Or does the 'un-stabling' have to happen wherever it was originally stabled?

Oh yeah, as far as diet, my bear is a friggin garbage disposal. Red meat, fruits, canned peas, an unsupervised gnome...they'll down about anything and love ya for it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2006 11:59 am 
Spammer

You can stable and unstable from ANY stable master.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2006 12:08 pm 

Yet another noob question. So you can have 2 stored pets and one active one, is this correct?

Is there a list somewhere of pet storage areas that any of our bazillion hunters knows of?

Ahh.. NVM!

http://petopia.brashendeavors.net/