Avian Gamers Network

Forum
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 6:28 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Warrior Build
PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2006 7:03 pm 

Since I started my warrior I have been putting almost all my points into the arms tree, as I felt them to be interesting.

Now at the end of things, and with the patch, i'm finally inspired to change up a bit...what do you thing about this build.

http://www.wowhead.com/talent/?pVhZqxZEit000Mqo

I tried to pick the most useful things i can think of based on my style and experience in situations...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2006 8:13 pm 
Spammer

You *NEED* Tactical Mastery. It's a must-have. And Imp HS would be good too.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2006 9:05 pm 
teh Referrer

man, you are all over the place on that aren't you =)

Tactical mastery is nice because without it, your rage goes to ZERO as you change Stances.

improved hamstring is nice for those runners. Will you be soloing or in a group? If you are soloing, Take it. If you are in a group, i would ignore it..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2006 9:17 pm 

Improved Hamstring though forces you to take way to much into the arms tree. I'm trying to get a feel for protection.

And thanks for the tip on Tactical Mastery, I've been Arms so long, I guess I overlooked the fact that I would lose all my rage.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2006 5:05 am 
Spammer

I'm not sure going that deep in Prot is a good idea. The classical MT build only puts 20 or 25 in that tree.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2006 8:11 am 
Site Admin

This is my build

It is a bit of a hybrid PVE solo-group build. Arms, so I have a 2h Axe (vs fury which is dual wield build).

I found that Imp HR isnt to useful after a while as you gain rage fast enough to make up for the 3 rage so the points are more useful in other places. I'm pretty happy with this build. I get tons of DPS while still getting some key skills in protections.

I may switch to a 15-5-30 build for endgame but this build may work out. Remember, protection builds are endgame builds. solo play with protections means you will live a long time but your dps will suck leading to long ass fights.

I solo 70% and group 30% and in groups I am usually 1st or 2nd in DPS - thanks to this build and my purple 2h axe.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2006 9:16 am 
Spammer

iJasonT wrote:
thanks to this build and my purple 2h axe.

Yeah, I have axe envy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2006 5:12 pm 

After playing a bit with the build, and fitting back in Tactical Mastery. I don't really see a huge loss in my DPS, in fact i don't see much of a change at all.

What i'm really hoping to see is a way to get a good initial aggro hold, which tends to be my weak point.

It's tough though, you can listen to advice or tactics, but you never know what works best for yourself unless you try it out sometimes. Only issue i have as of now is switching hasn't showed me too much difference. I do feel i can survive more than a 1v1 (PvE) now, which is cool.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2006 7:11 pm 
Site Admin

something I really had to get used to was the 'stance dance'. I would usually just go in and only switch to def stance when I needed to taunt. Once I started 'dancing' I could use all my skills for great effect.

Charge in
sunder x2 in def
switch to overpower is availble
If I fight several mobs whirlwind is awesome just only swicth to berz stance onc eyou know you have enough rage to use it then swicth out fast. You take more dmg in that stance.

Thunderclap is a nice multi-target agro generator. Dem shout is also nice.

When in doubt just sunder armor. Try to sunder in Def stance as you get more hate built up. The hardest thing I had to learn about holding agro is that people are idiots.

It is damn near impossible to hold agro on everything. If you have a wayward caster/hunter/rogue that insists on not attacking your target I usually just warn them to only attack mine. After 2-3 warns I just let them die. I refuse to run after a mob becuase some idiot will not attack my target (AOEs being an exception).

Im getting better but I still have tons to lean about being a good instance tank. There are some excellent guides in the warrior forum on the WoW site.

From the WoW boards
Quote:
When you tank, here are some things to keep in mind:
- Use defensive stance, and, if you have the talent Tactical Mastery, switch between stances to utilize them to their fullest potential.
- Use demoralizing shout not only to reduce the attack power of the mobs, but to gather the agro of multiple mobs onto you.
- Thunderclap is also excellent for gathering multiple mobs agro.
- For most of the fighting, you will primarily be switching between using sunder armor (to reduce the armor of the mob and produce threat, letting you hold agro), shield block (helping to mitigate damage and set up for revenge), and revenge (to provide threat, a small amount of damage, and, if you have points in improved revenge, stun)
- Always protect the priest or primary healer at utmost costs. Taunt is your friend, but follow that taunt with a sunder. Remember, you are expendable; the rezzer (person who has the ability to resurrect) is not.

Also learn the 10% rule. You can taunt a Mob off someone but yo uneed to have 10% more hate than that person to hold agro.

Taunt only works if the MOB is not attacking you. Taunt does nt build hate it only forces the mob to attack you for X seconds.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2006 10:25 am 

Good points Jason. Aggro control, especialy initially, is less about the Tank than the dps.

A good tank will really dictate the battles, and let em know what they want.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2006 7:32 pm 
Site Admin

Thanks for the thread. I studied up on Warroir tactics a while back, but I am rusty as hell and always on the lookout for good advice.

One thing that I had to teach Danyale is for her to let my tank get a few hits in before she starts attacking. Some guide I read a while back said for the tank to start attacking, and the group should count to 10 before before assisting.

I dont think Danyale can wait to 10, but we do alright as long as I get a chance to tag most of the mobs before she joins the fight.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 9:52 pm 

Just a few suggestions for the build.

The TM thing is mention earlier already. But I just want to mention that you might not need to max it out. 4/5 in TM should be good enough in most cases.

Since you already have 5/5 Shield Spec, you should get 1/3 Imp Shield Block to have more damage mitigation. Don't put more into that talent, because it is useless after 1/3.

You probably want 5/5 defiance for tanking.

Take the 1 point out of Blooming Voice.

3/3 Rand isn't really worth it...The points can be put to better use.