Avian Gamers Network

Forum
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 12:20 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 3:24 pm 

I am a tabula raza, as far as WoW goes (just started yesterday). So I'm fulla questions.

1) Are tradeskills "worth" doing?
2) Which ones does the guild need?
3) Any other suggestions as far as TS-ing goes?

I've been holding onto everything that looks tradeskillish, so I'm totally in the dark.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 3:40 pm 
Spammer

As a clothie... tailoring offers some decent gear options for you to make for yourself, and cloth drops off what you kill (humanoid targets)... so thats pretty self sufficient...

Other than that... enchanting can make you some money if you just sell the stuff you get from disenchanting loot you get... but its not really reliable...

Alchemy is nice for all the potions you can make, and they can sell for alot ... but you are forced to gather your own resources (herbs) to make good money...

Or, you can rely on others to make stuff for you and just pick up two gathering professions and sell stuff for cash...

Then there is always engineering... some nice stuff at lower levels... upper levels leaves a bit to be desired, but it does have some nice things available only to engineers...

In other words... do what you think you like best, don't worry about trying to fill a role... most of your needs can be met by the auction house or other guildies.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 6:01 pm 
Spammer

My personal opinion is to pick up 2 gathering professions (ie. skinning, mining, or herbalism) to really make some good money selling stuff on the auction house. Unless one uses the gatherer mod to show extra stuff on the mini-map, you cannot have both show minerals and herbs up at the same time which makes gathering a bit tougher if both of those are selected.

I found that I tended to use looted items over crafted ones for the most part. That's not to say crafted items are not good, it just so happened I was able to find nicer loot drops. Also, with proper self control when shopping the AH, 2 gathering professions will easily get you the gold you need come level 40 to buy your mount.

Therefore I'd go skin/herb or skin/mining. Skinning is virtually self sufficient and one can level it very quickly as you are out adventuring and killing animals.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 6:33 pm 
Spammer

Yeah, starting out with a couple of collection skills (mining, skinning, herbalism, enchanting) and then switching to a production skill later (around lvl 20 or 30) has worked well for me. Also, it's completely do-able to just stay with the collection skills and continue to make money at the AH, as previously suggested.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 6:50 pm 

Leather-freakin-neck???

A blast from the past!!! :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 7:38 pm 

Well I went with Enchanter/Tailor because it seems that most of those are dropped items. Just off the linen I have looted I'm skill 51 making bolts and shirts.

And my nice undead warlock has a pretty white shirt to mess up.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 10:04 am 

As far as the secondary skills (first aid, fishing, cooking) go, I'd level them up as you go also.

Fishing is best done as you level. It helps relieve boredom, imo and is a good way to make money, even as low as your 20's. There are a lot more fishing spots and as a warlock, you'll love Sagefish.

First Aid can be a pain, and a bit expensive, but is imperative later on in the game. It's a great skill to have as a Warlock as you can actually bandage yourself in combat better than most classes. First Aid will compete with your tailoring for mats, sadly.

Cooking is pretty easy to level and really a nice way to get cheap buffs. You should be able to level as you go without any problem.

Remember, Thottbot is your friend! Use it well!
http://www.thottbot.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 10:43 am 
Spammer

Meh, thotbot. You can also check out www.http://wow.allakhazam.com for lots of info too.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 11:00 am 

I've been cooking like a madman...though cooking flesh before you eat it is just plain wrong! I'm up to around 60.

Tailoring is actually going fairly well. 60ish also.

Spent some time fishing, but it's still ultra-n00bish at the moment Maybe in double digits.

Oh yes, I've been a log-time user of Alla's, from back in the EQ days. I did d'load Cosmo and it's been pretty good so far. I love the All-in-one bag opening thing, tha's been the most used feature so far.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 11:32 am 

First Aid definitely helps as a warlock do minimize downtime (Life Tap + bandage). I never got into fishing, I just find it too boring to stand there and click on things, but to each his own!

I personally went for engineering and mining. I was broke most of the time with engineering, and being a warrior didn't help either. But I did make most of my money for my level 40 mount by mining mithril.

Another thing to keep in mind is how fast you want to level. Leveling your professions will slow you down. The only exception I think is First Aid, as you will need the best bandages available at all times.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 12:27 pm 

What I've been doing so far is *quest*quest*quest*quest*quest*

Ok, I need a break.

Head to Undercity.

Ok, I got 30 linens...make bolts...make whatever's orange on my list. Sell that to the vendor.

Ok, I got 20 wolf-meats. Make food. Ok, I got 15 clams. Make food.

That's prolly why enchanting and fishing are so far behind.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 12:58 pm 

Leveling is pretty much all about the quest. I would also recommend the crossroads in the barrens for questing once you get to the appropriate level.

But back on topic... Enchanting is very expensive if you want to level up, and the lower level things don't sell at all (besides lesser beastslayer at 90 for people who want a cheap weapon glow). My suggestion is to use it for disenchanting so you can make money for training, repairs, mount, etc. You can always level enchanting once you reach level 60 and have access to better recipes.

If you are really set on leveling enchanting while you level up though, you can always disenchant things you make with tailoring. There is a guide on Alla for leveling enchanting for as little money as possible.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 1:15 pm 

Quote:
If you are really set on leveling enchanting while you level up though, you can always disenchant things you make with tailoring. There is a guide on Alla for leveling enchanting for as little money as possible.

I'm disappointed I didn't think of that.

I'm not in a HUGE hurry to level enchanting. Seems to be a "TS for the steenkeng reech" type thing.

Tailoring, cooking..those seem easy enough to level while levelling. I actually made gear I could use while I was grinding tailoring, which seems to be the sweet-spot for levelling vs tradeskilling.