Avian Gamers Network

Forum
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 12:32 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 11:37 am 

Being that I'm hooked on the healing classes, one of the two new alts I'm working on is a shaman. Lolicon is currently level 16 and I'm currently stumbling around blindly on talents. I would love to hear some advice from the Maelstrom folks and anyone else on what I should be going for....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 12:03 pm 

I've got a private WoW server running on the home LAN I'm thinking of opening up to friends. It's not TBC patched, but gives you a chance to insta level to 60, try out talent points, and armor/weps combinations.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 12:26 pm 

That would be fun Tetran, especially if you could get TBC. I am the world's biggest spender of gold on re-training my talent costs. I HATE having to do it but I'm always wanting to try different builds out.

As far as the Shaman goes. I have a 39 Twink Enhancement Shammy and have spent many long and boring work days on the main Shaman boards.

It seems that both Elemental and Enhancement are viable leveling trees. There's always a good debate going on about this which leads me to believe both work. Personally, I choose Enhancement and it went well, but I had good weapons most of the time. Elemental will certainly help you with your healing if you need to do that some too.

Resto, as with most healing trees, isn't going to help you kill much. And unless you are grouping the whole time you level, probably isn't the best choice. But I don't recall ever doing much healing at all w/ my Shaman, except of course myself. :wink:

The Shaman seems to have some serious end game issues though some recent blue posts indicate they will be buffed soon. Frankly, I think they are as fun a class as there is in the game. They are the best example of a casting warrior (better than pallys at this IMO). They can be devastating in group PVP and are scary solo. Damn fun class!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 12:30 pm 
Spammer

Sel Arin wrote:
Being that I'm hooked on the healing classes, one of the two new alts I'm working on is a shaman. Lolicon is currently level 16 and I'm currently stumbling around blindly on talents. I would love to hear some advice from the Maelstrom folks and anyone else on what I should be going for....

I've always heard that Enhancement is the way to go for leveling. That's all I know about Shaman specs.

Tetran wrote:
I've got a private WoW server running on the home LAN I'm thinking of opening up to friends. It's not TBC patched, but gives you a chance to insta level to 60, try out talent points, and armor/weps combinations.

Let me know if you ever get it patched up to TBC. I'd love to do some messing around with that! I'm still trying to figure out the best warlock spec to take advantage of Seed of Corruption.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 12:32 pm 

I'll try and get it open for you guys this weekend. When I'm ready, I'll take a signup for accounts and I'll created them since I'm not turning on auto-account creation for some sense of control.

It's pretty fun and makes the game feel a whole lot different. Last night, Sly and myself cleared out ZG. That Hakkar really drops some nice loot! Had 5 pages of purples drop off him last night :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 12:34 pm 

Angus MacGregor wrote:
Let me know if you ever get it patched up to TBC. I'd love to do some messing around with that! I'm still trying to figure out the best warlock spec to take advantage of Seed of Corruption.

Sure. I've been reading about it lately and seems pretty straight forward. I just need to obtain a client of TBC :twisted:

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 12:38 pm 
Spammer

Tetran wrote:
Angus MacGregor wrote:

Sure. I've been reading about it lately and seems pretty straight forward. I just need to obtain a client of TBC :twisted:

You don't have TBC??? Sacrilicious!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 1:07 pm 

Angus MacGregor wrote:
Tetran wrote:
Angus MacGregor wrote:

You don't have TBC??? Sacrilicious!

I don't play it anymore, save for my server where I cheat my ass off. Having 20000 hp and mana is quite fun.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 6:28 pm 
teh Referrer

This could be fun. Am i invited?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 11:58 pm 

Yeah. I just have no idea what to expect performance wise. It's running off my desktop. It could be fun. We just 2 manned AQ and MC hehe.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 8:48 am 
Spammer

GodOfGophers wrote:
They are the best example of a casting warrior (better than pallys at this IMO). They can be devastating in group PVP and are scary solo. Damn fun class!

I definitely agree with you about them being better than pallys! At lvl 12, Genosei can kill things very quickly - much more quickly than Liro could at that level. I'm not sure if it's just the fact that the shammy is something new and in a new environment but I'm really having a great time with the class.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 10:47 am 

My highest char is a 45 shaman. I LOVE them. It's particularly awesome if you spec enhancement and get stormstrike going with windfury totems and dual wield... this all happened for me around level 40 and my shaman became a tornado-esque DPS machine :) .

I'll try and link my enhancement build later.

Section 5
Now Playing: WoW
--------------------

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 1:14 pm 

TheMole wrote:
My highest char is a 45 shaman. I LOVE them. It's particularly awesome if you spec enhancement and get stormstrike going with windfury totems and dual wield... this all happened for me around level 40 and my shaman became a tornado-esque DPS machine :) .

I'll try and link my enhancement build later.

Cool. I would like to see your build.

If I ever level mine up, I'd like to keep using a 2H axe or mace. So I'm not sure how important the talents past stormstrike would be. I would like to see what a 0/40/21 build would look like at 70, with Nature's Swiftness.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 1:25 am 

Here is my current build (0/33/3)

Section 5
Now Playing: WoW
--------------------

Post subject: Shamtastic
PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2007 12:29 pm 

I personally leveled all the way to 60 as a Ele/resto shammy. The instant cast shocks were some of my favorite spells in the game and the resto helped keep mana costs down. I never liked the enhancement tree that much because I felt that If I wanted to be a warrior I should've rolled a warrior. There is also a TON of luck involved in Wind Fury. As Madson has respec'd recently I've been playing him as an enhancement shammy. Some battles are over amazingly quick when WF procs, but others are near death experiences.

Of course I spent 60 levels getting elemental gear and then switched to enhancement, so maybe with the right gear it would work better.

I still stand by the Elemental Tree. You are basically a insta nuke caster with decent melee abilities. I used WF weapon mostly and when it procs it's nice, but not necessary.

When I leveled I did so through this

Elemental Tree
1st Convection / Concussion (10 points) ( cheaper & Stronger Shocks + Openers)

2nd Elemental Focus (1 point) (10% chance for free next spell, feels like it happens all the time, LOVE this ability)

3rd Reverberation (5 points) Faster Shocks

4th Elemental devistation / Call of Thunder ( 5 total points )Elemental Devistation is new, but considering you are almost always within striking distance when you are shocking opponents this could be nice. When i leveled I put all 5 into CoT. I have to admit, other than the Lightning Opener and the occasional AB Chain Lightning I found it to be somewhat unused, so the Elemental devistation might be a good trade off.

5th Elemental Fury (1 point) When you crit, it's 200% the original dam rather than 150%, this is a no brainer.

From there I am a lot less adamant about my decisions. You could continue to buff your lightning damage so you can get to Elemental mastery (100%Crit chance) but it has a beefy 3 minute cool down so I didn't use it as much as I should have. Looking back at a lot of the new stuff on the tree since I left 6 months ago it might be worth it so you can chain together all of the other abilities that proc on a offensive spell crit.

In the enhancement tree, I think Imp Ghost Wolf might be great under level 40 but I rarely ran from fights, and it only works outdoors so... meh. Soneclaw totems let me get away if I really needed to run. I was never impressed with 2h weapons and I liked the bonuses to Armor and Int from caster shields. With that said, at 60 my mana pool is somewhere around 3.5 - 4.5k, so the ancestral knowledge is a waste as it only grants about 200 extra mana after 5 talents.

Speaking of efficiency, Lit Shield is your most efficient offensive spell, the talents make it even more so. I suggest this talent if you spec enhancement. Just don't forget to keep it on in the longer fights.

The Resto tree is better in my opinion because of the increased survivability and mana efficency it offers. Reducing your fastest heal cast time and mana cost through Imp healing wave and Tidal focus in extremely valuable. This also leads to Totemic Focus which makes your totems more efficient. Healing focus is nice as well for soloing as you'll need to heal as you are getting wailed on. Tidal mastery can also be a nice addition to your lightning offensive spells. With Natures swiftness (>10 sec cast becomes instant) your lightning spells become much more useful in battle as well.

Well there are some of my thoughts. Just thought I'd share a different view. Hope this helps. Of course I didn't cover all the talents but I thought I hit the most important ones. Tell me what you think.

The build that I think I'd go with is here. It's a 31/8/22. From first glance the best talents in the tree seem a bit too expensive for what they do. Either that or they are too focused on groups, which I'm not interested in.

Last edited by Madson on Sat Feb 17, 2007 3:07 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2007 12:30 pm 

double post, sorry