Avian Gamers Network

Forum
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 2:12 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: PvP Talk – Classes
PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2007 5:44 pm 
Spammer

I’d like to put in for some discussion about end-game PvP. Discuss each class and their strengths and weakness. Granted we may not have a lot of experience with the new setup (such that I can have 5500 health unbuffed where it was closer to 2600 before at level 70) which will lead to increased survival, but also mean that I can’t finish off opponents as quickly.

I’ll start in by talking about the Frost Mage class from my experience.
For the most part if I am in the middle of combat I’m basically dead. A Rogue could effectively stun lock me without a chance for recovery. Though, Ice Block is a spell that can be cast at any time. On a few occasions this would save my life as someone would get agro form another person within 10 seconds. Most of the time, I was outnumbered and it was just prolonging the process for 10 seconds.

More hitpoints might make a small difference as I can possible get another spell or two off and blink away.

Warlocks were always a problem. Their DOTs can do a fair bit of damage over a short periods of time (to someone with 2600 health). More Health might make this less of a problem, though the locks probably have nastier spells now as well. Still, I think the expansion will make this a more favorable outcome. Warlock pets seem to be very effective against this squishy.

One thing I didn’t have at level 60 was the extra slowing effects from the 2 talents available. I had been affected by them before and a 65% reduction in movement makes you an easy target. I look forward to those affects. If the talents combine, my blizzard would reduce movement speed to 25% of normal and frostbolts should drop them to 50% of normal. This will make it difficult for melee classes to compete.

Also of note is that many items and abilities allow people to break out of mage snares and polymorphs. Though they do have a timer reset, a battle with a mage is usually quick. Either the mage wins quickly or is defeated quickly. If the timers can be worn down in a calculated manner, then this might really benefit the group. Think of a polymorph, it breaks, you set to polymorph them again. Better to get 1 person locked down than reset everyone’s timer? Might be more an arena trick if you have multiple mages.

What to look for in PvP
I’ve still have to do more research on the subject, but I’m leaning towards the side where you expect your spells not to critically hit and can depend more on the base damage. Thu, I think spell penetration and plus damage might be better than +critical strike. Don’t get me wrong, I love my crtical strikes and might be a very viable frost trait with frozen targets as you get huge increases in your % to crit. Not to mention the fear you get when you get teice the normal damage than you might have expected 

I think spell penetration will be the marquee stat. Spells that resist are by far the worst event that can happen. No secondary effects can happen (unlike melee skills…see below) unless the spell takes effect. Obviously, we want the trifecta of spell penetration, crit and +damage.

I think stamina may play an important role for PvP as that will let you ‘live’ longer. It’s probably more important for those tank type classes as 500 hit points that have 50% mitigation is more like 1000 health points. Then again mage damage doesn’t get affected by armor or defense (so far).

500 health points on a mage might be more like 550-600 on a melee. Still it will extend that window of action/nonaction.

Int will help in many obvious ways but I might even place that behind stamina a little bit, but I haven’t tried anything with that.

Best use in PvP:
Mages work best as someone doing good ranged damage. Hunters have their pets and better armor. Warlocks have their pets and a bunch of quck spells they can cast. Frost mages probably suffer the most as they tend to have fewer instant cast spells (even with ice bolt as that will only be mana effective when a target is frozen).

PvP ws usually best with getting a blizzard spell going around a group of 3 or more people. That was the type of moment a mage is best at (or supporting a group of melee people from afar). Melee range for the mage is bad news for you and good news for them. I think it will go better for me in the future with some new spells.

One think I look forward to now in PvP
Go invisible, get a location of a crowd of bad buys and do some serious AOE damage in a large group, lock them down and blink away.

Even better if you can get this done with multiple mages doing the same thing. Then each group could do 1 of each aoe type and blink away. Might even lead it all off with a frost mage (spec;ed with;the slowdown/chill effects like me) prior to the initial blast or right after the first one.

2 issues I have with Mages spells in PvP:
Ice Barrier: if I do not take any damage (meaning my shield is still active after a hit), I shouldn’t suffer from the effects of an effect that never caused any damage (like bleeds, and probably stuns/daze). I didn’t take damage thus it’s like the thing never effected me. Especially since it doesn’t cause interrupt in my ability to cast.

Blink: I’d probably get shot down pretty quick on this but I believe blink should cause anyone/anything to lose targeting on me. I think they should not be allowed to auto-follow you. If a rogue goes stealth or someone goes invisible from a potion or spell, you lose the ability to target that person. This is similar, the person needs to find us again. It’s a small issue, but a 20 yard blink usually keeps us well in range of ranged damage.

Still need to hear about fire/Arcane mages and all the other classes. Plus discusiion about any of the above. lots of material here :) the public boards might be a good palce too, but I prefer my people ;)

After some Discussion we can break down some additional threads:
Arena Talk 2-man team
Arena Talk 3-man team
Arena Talk 5-man team

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2007 1:13 pm 
Spammer

My frost mage is only lvl 27 atm but from my experience in the BGs, well at least pre-BC, most of what you say is correct.

Stamina is definitely the main stat to go for over int when it comes to pvp. My rankings of stats would be:
1. +penetration (I hate seeing resisted)
2. +stamina
3. +dmg
4. +crit (like Arindel, I don't like to always rely on crit chances - nice, but sometimes unreliable)

I think your aoe trick coming out of invisibilty would work great in the arenas if the other team chooses to move in one big mob. Pop out, frost nova, blink away, then nail em with a blizzard as your team swoops in. Your other casters would be safer from melee longer from the chill effects which is another plus.

Oh, and I agree with your comment about blink. It should detarget you.A good tactic would then be to run straight at a melee guy, blink just before he's in range so you end up behind him, insta cast fire (sry cant recall spell name), nova, and back away for some more pwnage. By he time he starts getting close again your blink might be rdy to use again.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 9:41 pm 

Quote:
I’d probably get shot down pretty quick on this but I believe blink should cause anyone/anything to lose targeting on me. I think they should not be allowed to auto-follow you.

I agree it happens quite often to me when I vanish that they auto-follow me so i know how you feel

I play on my 60 Mage sometimes, however he is a Fire Mage I dont know what Frost is like i may llok it up sometimes but as a fire mage +Crit is my life blood without that i would prolly be alot less effective