Avian Gamers Network

Forum
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:35 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Cowbearcat is no more.
PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2007 9:05 am 

Last night Blizzard nerfed me. Well, more like they nerfed my name. I had rolled Cowbearcat some two years ago when Maelstrom, one of the first PVP-RP servers opened. At the time, many like myself were concerned that our names might not be appropriate for the server so I took careful thought into having a story behind it. I pretty good one, IMO.

But last night I recieved an whisper from a blizz GM telling me I needed to change my name. That they were going to log me out and I'd have to choose a new one. To say that I was and still am stunned is quite an understatement. I literally can't believe that they would do something like this with all the other junk going on in the game.

It's also annoying because I was in Scholo at the time w/ the gang and was basically told I had to leave because of it. It also screwed up all my mods and keybindings to boot.

I can only speculate here, but I'm guessing that the pitiful nefl druid I ganked just outside of scholo was the one who reported my name. I would give a lot to remember the loser's name, but sadly the encounted lasted about 4 seconds so was totally unremarkable.

In the end, I am now Swift, not a bad name for a feral druid but I'd prefer Cowbearcat. I know there are some in this guild and the others I've been in that never "approved" of the name but I forget how that should be anyone else's business.

Rant over. :(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2007 9:35 am 
Spammer

We respectfully ask you to go into the Edit My Characters section and rename your character appropriately :twisted:

Yeah, that sucks after having it for 2 years. Sorry Z

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2007 11:07 am 
Spammer

Retarded.

Let's go raid Darnassus and gank some more Nelfs then to make up for it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2007 11:37 am 

Angelus wrote:
Retarded.

Let's go raid Darnassus and gank some more Nelfs then to make up for it.

Good idea. I may even hearth in Splintertree just to make it easier.

What really bugs me is how all it takes is one sore loser to do something like this. Not 10 minutes after all this happens, I'm in Nagrand and a toon named Buckwheat tries to gank me.

Add to that there is a Nefl Rogue named Freska or something close that is obviously a bot that farms the Tobruks near the lake around Garand. I'd report him but I kill him 5 times a day for free honor.

Maybe I was too attached to the name.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2007 1:34 pm 
Spammer

It is absolutely stupid to force you to change a non offensive name. I see asshats with horrible names everyday that haven't been made to change their name.

You are a Cow Druid... a Cowbearcat... how is that out of line??????

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2007 2:07 pm 

Mantison Tau'rus wrote:
You are a Cow Druid... a Cowbearcat... how is that out of line??????

Sorry to hear about the name change.. quite lame. :?

First, I do not agree with this but would like to point out.. the TOS we agree to each patch has a decent amount of guidelines concerning charater names. Many choices of names break their strict rules them but most go without notice unless reported. "Cowbearcat", is a violation becasue it is a fragmented sentence.. or string of words.. basically. Other examples Blizzard gives... 'Inyourface' or 'Welovebeef'. Here is the offical info....

http://www.worldofwarcraft.com/legal/termsofuse.html

Rules Related to Usernames and Guild Designations.

Each user will either select a character name or allow the Program to automatically select a character name at random. Additionally, users may form "guilds" and such guilds will be required to choose a name for the guild. When you choose a character name, create a guild, or otherwise create a label that can be seen by other players using the Program, you must abide by the following guidelines as well as the rules of common decency. If Blizzard finds such a label to be offensive or improper, it may, in its sole and absolute discretion, change the name, remove the label and corresponding chat room, and/or suspend or terminate your use of the Program.

In particular, you may not use any name:

Belonging to another person with the intent to impersonate that person, including without limitation a "Game Master" or any other employee or agent of Blizzard;
That incorporates vulgar language or which are otherwise offensive, defamatory, obscene, hateful, or racially, ethnically or otherwise objectionable;
Subject to the rights of any other person or entity without written authorization from that person or entity;
That belongs to a popular culture figure, celebrity, or media personality;
That is, contains, or is substantially similar to a trademark or service mark, whether registered or not;
Belonging to any religious figure or deity;
Taken from Blizzard's Warcraft products, including character names from the Warcraft series of novels;
Related to drugs, sex, alcohol, or criminal activity;
Comprised of partial or complete sentence (e.g., "Inyourface", "Welovebeef", etc);
Comprised of gibberish (e.g., "Asdfasdf", "Jjxccm", "Hvlldrm");
Referring to pop culture icons or personas (e.g. " "Britneyspears", "Austinpowers", "Batman")
That utilizes "Leet" or "Dudespeak" (e.g., "Roflcopter", "xxnewbxx", "Roxxoryou")
That incorporates titles. For purposes of this subsection, "titles" shall include without limitation 'rank' titles (e.g. , "CorporalTed," or "GeneralVlad"), monarchistic or fantasy titles (e.g., "KingMike", "LordSanchez"), and religious titles (e.g., "ThePope," or "Reverend Al").
You may not use a misspelling or an alternative spelling to circumvent the name restrictions listed above, nor can you have a "first" and "last" name that, when combined, violate the above name restrictions.

Famke: 70 Hunter (375 Miner & 375 Skinning, also cooking and fishing)

Nightngale: 41 Shadow Priest (300 Alchemy & 300 Herbalism)

Blush: 32 Mage (Miner & Skinner)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2007 2:29 pm 

The amazing thing about this to me was how quick the request came after the supposed report.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2007 2:39 pm 

Cordalis wrote:
The amazing thing about this to me was how quick the request came after the supposed report.

Yah, I would have to agree the ganked NE doesn't seem like the source. Most the time, since BC especially, it takes 2-3 hours to get a GM response when putting in a ticket. (In my experience anyways) Although, I am not totally sure what type of time frame we're talking about here.

Alot of people report for names when they are pissed off at the player though. Vlad has been reported several times for his name and I'm sure most can guess where those came from. :roll:

It seems with some cases it is up to the GM. He logged in once and it wouldn't let him 'enter world' until he picked a new name. He did so that he could get in game but then he opened a ticket and spoke with a GM. Obviously, telling the GM what an annoyance this was. How he had had this name almost 2 years and now no one would know who he was so his friendlist connections would require a lot of work to fix. That his name wasn't offensive or anything like that. The GM agreed with him and said it was either a mistake or poor judgement from another GM who recieved a complaint. Then he booted Vlad out and let him reset his name, back to Vladtepesh.

Glad I remember that.. that's what you should do Cowbearcat! Open a ticket and give it a shot.. a couple times if you have to. Maybe you'll run across a kind GM who will let you change it back!

Famke: 70 Hunter (375 Miner & 375 Skinning, also cooking and fishing)

Nightngale: 41 Shadow Priest (300 Alchemy & 300 Herbalism)

Blush: 32 Mage (Miner & Skinner)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2007 2:53 pm 

I sent an email right away last night. The GM who whispered me was a total idiot and was obviously not interested in listening to me. I would say I'm hopeful of getting the name back but only if I don't have to go through this again.

Maybe it wasn't the nelf but regardless I'm fairly sure it was a case of sour grapes. I had been in Nagrand a chunk of the day farming Thick Clefthoof Hides and when I see an alliance I kill them. It's nothing personal it's business. There's a scarcity of resources and I want them.

And as for the name, it would appear a large portion of the gaming world is in violation, however mine is not a partial sentence but a description of my character. I can understand the difference but I'm not sure how it affects anyone but me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 5:36 pm 

Damn that sucks.
Thats just crap.

WoW - Fire Mage - RETIRED | SWG - Weaponsmith - RETIRED
MMOGGLERâ„¢ for online gamers

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 6:29 pm 

yeah that blows. I had the same thing happen with an old character of mine and I didn't even get a GM tell, I just logged in like always and was presented with the same prompt before loading the world. I was soooo pissed and was thinking how is my name a priority, go after gold farmers! oh well. welcome to the club :cry: