Avian Gamers Network

Forum
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:22 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 11:40 am 

Someone at Blizzcon posted this photo: http://www.flickr.com/photos/62492410@N00/996783595

So it seems the next expansion opens up Northrend. Here's a gist of what the image text says:

- Northrend added (epic battle with Arthas?)
- Death Knight Class (first new class since WoW release)
- Level cap raise to 80
- New Battleground: siege warfare and destructible buildings
- "Expanded character customization options."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 12:01 pm 

yeah I just read that elsewhere too, pretty cool.

Edit: Some good info here http://www.worldofraids.com/#6156

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 12:40 pm 
Spammer

In the existing game isn't there a place where you can raid or go solo?
I'd like to see some things you could do on a smaller and larger scale.

Raising the level cap to 80 seems formulatically obvious. Att his point, I'd prefer to see them revolutionize their game/content a bit rather than add the same forumla with a slightly different spin.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 1:50 pm 
Site Admin

I agree. Lots of games last for years with fixed levels, 80 will do nothing but provide another grind.

It seems the only real 'solo' thing you can do is rep grind. I have little interest in this, and that is a major reason I left the game. I'm really a solo or small group player. Large raids, while fun, are really not very spontaneous.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 2:06 pm 

I agree that raised level cap isn't needed. I already don't have much motivation to level an alt to 70. Leveling from 1 to 80 is gonna be a pain, especially with no new mid-level content.

Something I think a lot of people would love to see is new areas and instances for lower levels.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 2:09 pm 

Yeah I agree, I am hoping they add more mid level stuff, after leveling 2 to 70 and 2 in the 60s and alot of other alts I get tired of the 20-60 level content

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 2:38 pm 

More info at 1up.com: http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3161725

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 3:45 pm 

Agree.. Had Famke not already been 60 when the xpac came out.. she would not be 70 now. lol

Bill has a group of RL friends that play on another server. We tried to get them to come over to Dalaran but they're babies. ;P So we decided to roll a couple new toons to hang out with them a bit. Granted, I KNOW these toons will never see 70.. not even close. But, we made a couple of draenei last weekend and the new area is really fun. It was so nice to do new quests and see new areas. Even the low lvl gear looks different. Made me wish they would put some more into the world outside of Outlands. It's a shame! I know once Bill and I are out of the starting area.. I'm never gonna want to log on! lol

Famke: 70 Hunter (375 Miner & 375 Skinning, also cooking and fishing)

Nightngale: 41 Shadow Priest (300 Alchemy & 300 Herbalism)

Blush: 32 Mage (Miner & Skinner)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 5:27 pm 

Website just went live http://www.worldofwarcraft.com/wrath/index.xml

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 8:24 pm 

I just don't see how this is going to be too different from another Outland continent. Seems like more of the same game just now up to level 80. Maybe they'll release enough expansions so someone can get to a high enough level to "solo" Molten Core. Meh.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 8:53 am 

I think that for many the expansion will be percieved as more of the same, but to some, like me, there seems to be a lot that will be added.

From what I've read, professions, pvp (world pvp in particular) and itemization will all be improved. Although there a couple things I'm not entirely happy about, I'm looking forward to the new content.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 4:09 am 
Site Admin

Bah! Every time I get to the level cap they raise it again. :?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 10:05 am 
Spammer

Romsuiag wrote:
Bah! Every time I get to the level cap they raise it again. :?

At least you keep getting to the cap.

I'm still trying to get to level 20!

DDO - Cannith - AlistairItor - Rogue/Ranger (5/3) - Main
DDO - Cannith - Guijanitor - Paladin/Rogue (4/1)
DDO - Cannith - RicochetItor - Rogue (5)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 12:41 pm 
Spammer

The 1UP article had good info there.

The PvP zone sounds very cool, as does that inscription profession. The Death Knight class also sounds neat, and I think its a very good idea to have it unlocked from a level 80 quest chain. Saves the level grind the ally/horde shaman/pallies had to do with BC release. Of course that means there will be a ton of Death Knights around but whatever.

Disappointing there's no new mid level content. My Blood Elf alt progression kinda halted cause I was tired of doing the same stuff over again. Would have been nice to get some new scenery/quests for those levels.

I'd bank on a mid-late 2008 release.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 3:11 pm 

I was hoping there wouldn't be more level grinding, but I guess Blizzard wants to add more talents and skills and increasing the level cap seems the best way to do it.

The Death Knight class is going to be interesting. I was reading a post here that contains more info given by Blizzard about the hero class. Of course the info given at this stage can change at any moment. Starting at a high level when making a DK means less grinding and seems to be Blizzard's way to solve the boring level grind problem -- doesn't seem likely they are willing to add new lower level content.

No idea what the prereq quest is going to be like to unlock the DK class. And I wonder what having the DK class on the Ally and Horde side means lore-wise. If I have the chance to make one I'd probably do so just to check it out, but I don't see myself playing the DK as my new main.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 5:33 pm 

Ha - an inscription class. Loi and I were talking about being able to make scrolls a while back. ( I see the inscribing is rune carving.)

The new PvP siege area sounds cool.

Hero class.... eeeah

WoW - Fire Mage - RETIRED | SWG - Weaponsmith - RETIRED
MMOGGLERâ„¢ for online gamers

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 6:47 pm 

now, none of you know me, cause frankly i couldn't give 2 cents worth of caring for wow. but just from the statements i've read above, i have to say that Sony's approach to expansions for EQ2 seems to be something blizzard should look into.

The first expansion for eq2 was a level increase, and the new areas attached to it.... however the second expansion was completely different... more of a what everyone here is crying to have. lower-mid level content expansion. the way they worked it was a lot of it was instanced... which meant all the content could level itself accordingly with the characters you went in with. in addition to that, many of the instances gave you a choice of difficulty when you went in as well... if you want more of a challenge, you'll get more loot, exp for doing it, but it got pretty damn tough... at least it did for me, figuring out new strategies how to stay alive as a necromancer.... cause i'm sure everyone knows how much fun paper armor and monsters at significantly higher level than you can be.

Anyway... just saying that for as much success blizzard has had in the market, they could learn a thing or two from sony... its not just the high end grinding, raiding. uber 1337 doodz they need to cater too if they want to keep on top of the market.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 9:09 am 

There definitely is some decent backlash about the new grind in the expansion. The Hero class is a step in the right direction if it does start at 60 or something.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 12:05 pm 

Thermoon wrote:
I was hoping there wouldn't be more level grinding, but I guess Blizzard wants to add more talents and skills and increasing the level cap seems the best way to do it.

Agreed. The lvl grind is so daunting at 70.. at 80, it's going to be insane. I can't imagine starting the game fresh and looking down the line at 80 lvls. I don't think I would feel overly motivated to play. That's just me though.

However, even with the last xpac I was a bit frustrated at the new lvl cap. I have a priest in her 40s that I wanted to lvl but after seeing the new 70, I felt like it was a waste to even try since I wouldn't be playing her but every now and then.

I wish they would just allow talent points to open up right when you start playing. Hehe.. would allow more points for any new talents they have. But I imagine that would make players much more powerful than the areas they're intended to progress through. meh :wink:

Famke: 70 Hunter (375 Miner & 375 Skinning, also cooking and fishing)

Nightngale: 41 Shadow Priest (300 Alchemy & 300 Herbalism)

Blush: 32 Mage (Miner & Skinner)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 2:18 pm 
Site Admin

Not that it takes much but it would be very nice to Blizz to offers auto-alts to lvl 20 for anyone who has a lvl 60-70 character. Obviously with BGs starting at lvl 20 I doubt they will do this.

For a casual gamer like me lvl 20 can take several days if not a week to get to. This would allow me to save considerable time.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 2:41 pm 

iJasonT wrote:
Not that it takes much but it would be very nice to Blizz to offers auto-alts to lvl 20 for anyone who has a lvl 60-70 character. Obviously with BGs starting at lvl 20 I doubt they will do this.

For a casual gamer like me lvl 20 can take several days if not a week to get to. This would allow me to save considerable time.

This would be nice. And say after getting 2 toons to 70 or 80, your alts start at 40 and so on and so on. I would love to have multiple classes maxed and it's definitley fun to change things up a bit but the thought of going from 1-80 is about the only thing that would make me quit the game.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 3:10 pm 
Spammer

GodOfGophers wrote:
iJasonT wrote:

This would be nice. And say after getting 2 toons to 70 or 80, your alts start at 40 and so on and so on. I would love to have multiple classes maxed and it's definitley fun to change things up a bit but the thought of going from 1-80 is about the only thing that would make me quit the game.

Well that and the arena epic weapon rank requirement :wink:
(j/k, but I am still bitter about that one)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 3:22 pm 

I'm bitter about it too, but I already have my merciless weapon. Sometimes I just like to look at it, it's so beautiful. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 3:37 pm 

Something else that sounds pretty cool is that with the new expansion comes a revamped Naxx tuned fro entry-level 25-man raid at level 80.

Source: interview with Tigole