Avian Gamers Network

Forum
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:15 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: PVP toon
PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 5:16 pm 
Site Admin

If you where to make a character for end-game (lvl 70) which would you choose. Priest, Lock or War? I mainly do BGs. I don't have time for raids and such so BGs allow me to get ingame and play almost immediately.

I only want to get one toon to 70. Any advice on which to choose? I'll do a few instances little raiding and mainly BG pvp maybe some arenas.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 9:59 pm 
Spammer

Which server?? Not that it matters too much if you are just BGing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 9:17 am 

I would say it largely depends on how you play. If you are very casual and play only once in a while then you might be better off with a 'lock. They are the easiest to gear and probably to PVP with. They have some simple builds that are incredibly powerful and offer awesome survivability.

And by doing just BGs you'll be able to get all the gear you'd need to be at least decent.

Angelus is the real expert about Priests but I'd say a Shadow Priest would be a close second. That is a powerful build too, but can be a bit more difficult.

And while I think there is no more powerful for in all of PVP than an Arms warrior, you'd really excel in coordinated groups and not until you have decent gear.

And don't listen to the whining about classes and such. Any class/spec can do well in the BGs if played well and even mediocre gear. It's learning what you can do and what the other guy will probably do that matters.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 1:22 pm 
Site Admin

Well I have a Lock on Scourge and a War and Priest on Dalaran.
The Priest is already 61 so I may look into him. I do enjoy both the Shadow Priest and my Lock (only lvl 22). If one had a stated advantage I would learn that way.

For now I think I will play the priest. Kinda sucks now that I am 61 and I lumped in with all the lvl 70 guys. I may not be able to BG until I hit 70.

I'll farm some mats so I can make some nice gear as tailor once/if I ever hit 70.

I nearly doubled my gear rating within 2 hours in Outland last night. Finally dumped my last piece of pre-BC gear. I think my plan is to get some Marshall Gear and a Epic BG weapon then maybe start in on Arena S1 gear.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 3:57 pm 

Looks like you're running with your priest. I'd say get the leg+belt combo from Halaa (world PvP). You'll have to do quests there sooner or later, so just join in if any PvP action is going on to collect tokens.

Any of the marshall gears will help, and you can work on both BG and arena gears at the same time. We don't really have any Avian arena action going on on Dalaran at the moment. I think Joe would be interested, so maybe something might start up.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 9:22 am 

Just to clarify, is your Priest on Maelstrom? If so then I can certainly help, especially with Halaa stuff as Ther mentioned is pretty nice to start with. I must have something like 200+ Halaa battle tokens on me. I'm there almost any given night.

Krynyr is also a tailor and may have some of the patterns you might want and may be able to make some gear to help you level. And we would love to have you in our 5 mans that we run on occaison.

Again, while I'm not an expert, a Shadowpriest looks to be relatively easy to gear. Focus on stam/spell damage/intellect as I'd guess they are the most important for PVP, though I may be missing something there.

And we do have arena teams that you are welcome to join. They are pretty casual but we try and have fun, especially when we win.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 10:32 am 
Site Admin

My priest is on Dalaran. My Lock is on Maelstrom.

I played for 10 hours yesterday and only got 5dubs into 61. This is going to take a while.
I love BGs but now that I am lumped in with the 70s I get 2 shotted in AV. I need to just grind out to 70. But grinding is what makes me not want to play.
Oh the irony.

I swear, if they raise the cap lvl again I will leave the game forever.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 11:09 am 

iJasonT wrote:
My priest is on Dalaran. My Lock is on Maelstrom.

I played for 10 hours yesterday and only got 5dubs into 61. This is going to take a while.
I love BGs but now that I am lumped in with the 70s I get 2 shotted in AV. I need to just grind out to 70. But grinding is what makes me not want to play.
Oh the irony.

I swear, if they raise the cap lvl again I will leave the game forever.

LOL! The next expansion will raise the cap to 80. I do hope you stay but leveling does suck.

A bunch of us are planning to be on tomorrow evening to Arena and "whatever" afterwards. We could certainly do a dungeon or some quests with you to help you out.

And I'm not sure if you are aware but myself (Swift) and Krynyr are both not in the Avian guild. But we are always in the SOA channel. Give us a shoutout.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 11:29 am 
Site Admin

yeah I log into SOA when I'm on Maelstrom.
When is the new expansion? Really, whatever happened to just living in endgame? Am I the only one that finds this maddening?

EDIT:
Ok I knew about RLK (if that the right abbreviation?) I guess I just didn't realize they where going to raise the lvl cap in it.
New dungeons, gear, raids, pvp all that is awesome. But it really is a bummer to think that right about the time I get to 70 I will have to start with lvl 80.

Call me harping on the subject but all I wanna do is work on building a character. One that I can 'finish'. Not one who's gear is will woefully outdated 2 hours after the next expansion.

Not to mention the fact that I have 4 lvl 60s! There is no way I would ever lvl all of those to 70 much less 80. It also proves to be a downer for those wanting to start a new character from zero.

they should implement an advance for new characters. If you have a lvl 80 you can start a new character at 40 or something like that.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 11:53 am 

Quote:
they should implement an advance for new characters. If you have a lvl 80 you can start a new character at 40 or something like that.

From what I have read (although there isnt alot of info on it yet) the DeathKnight class will be this was and be unlocked by your high level character by doing a quest or something like that.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2007 8:24 am 

Daishus wrote:
Quote:

From what I have read (although there isnt alot of info on it yet) the DeathKnight class will be this was and be unlocked by your high level character by doing a quest or something like that.

Right now it looks like the Deathknight will start at lvl 60, but I'm with you guys on leveling sucks.

It doesnt make much sense to me to have to keep leveling characters to enjoy the game. They should allow you to have a free 70 for every one you get there. Why not? There would be many more people enjoying the game, that's for sure!

70 to 80 will be lame, but hopefully there will be lots of content to go through.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2007 9:50 am 
Site Admin

So I have been able to log in for a few hours these apast few nights. I feel a bit conflicted. I played for about 12 hours total and did about 15-20 quests. The quests where fun, interesting and all in all easy to solo. However, 20 quests in 2 days and I am still only 60% through lvl 61?

At this pace I will be 70 right about the time RLK comes out.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2007 10:52 am 

From 60-70, it takes a while to gain a level. I don't remember how long exactly it took for me to gain each level, but I'd say around 10 hours the first few, then increases for the later levels. The only tips I can give are to try and do quests in the same area all at the same time, minimize you're traveling time (would help if you had the land epic mount), and never grind mobs that are not part of a quest.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2007 11:41 am 
Spammer

I actually found that leveling from around 67 to 70 went very fast by questing. I kinda just hunkered down and got into questing mode a few nights a week and flew saw the levels fly by. The quests were also fairly entertaining to do.

Places I quested: Hellfire (didn't do all) > some Zanga > Terrokar (near all) > Nagrand (all) > Blade's Edge (near all) > Netherstorm (many).

Actually, I dinged 70 well before touching many of the the Netherstorm quests, which is great cause now I can do them for gold. Barely scratched those in Shadowmoon but Madson has done em all and said it was a fun place.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2007 12:09 pm 
Spammer

It's encouraging to hear that you were able to do a lot of Netherstorm for gold. Particularly since you said you didn't really do any of the Hellfire quests. Right now, Liro and Milo have (nearly) completely finished Hellfire (Liro still has a couple dungeon quests and a PvP quest for HC). That means I might start making real G on quests even sooner!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2007 2:10 pm 
Site Admin

I have done most of Hellfire. There are two main pockets of quests which are the two FP locations in the towns. Then three or four 'outposts' that have a handful of quests as well.

I think I have only 4-5 quests in all of Hellfire that I have yet to do. I want to finish up Hellfire completely then move to that map area to the west. I'm aweful with names.

The quests are going fast and most are actually pretty interesting. My system is to collect 5-10 quests. Write down the names on some paper, then look them all up on Thottbott and write down the collection points.

In the past I would look up single quests. This way allows me to work several quests in the same area greatly reducing my time. It actually has helped bring the fun back in questing. I absolutely hate - hate hate hate - wondering around looking for XY and Z. Point me at it, let me kill it, let me turn it in. I get my questing enjoyment out of the story and the quest text, not the searching.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2007 3:28 pm 
Spammer

Exactly. That is how I quest as well. Really dislike wandering around aimlessly just to find some NPC hidden. Most of the time the quest text gives enough insight to do it, but having wowhead (not a fan of thotbot anymore) coords rocks the box!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2007 3:49 pm 

What I did when I was questing in outlands is use the Cartographer addon to mark points on the map, along with description of what quests they are for. It takes some time to set up a circuit, but I find it makes questing that much faster. I mostly used thottbot for all the quest info.

Cartographer is an ace2 addon: http://www.wowace.com/.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 10:36 am 
Site Admin

Well I had a chance to play a lot this weekend. I just dinged 63. I quested from 60-61 and 61-62. 62-63 I did running BF and Ramparts several times each on Sat-Sun. All but once I got in very good pugs and we breezed through them.

I also made almost 70g selling all the greens I collected.

I am not completely done with every quest in HF and have moved to the west. Once I removed the pressure of 'the grind' Im finding I am liking the quests more. I still want to BG but I figure I need to wait a few more levels to be competitive.

My Shadow Priest is proving to be fun. I have full DPS and Full healing cloths now. 377 heal so I can keep up in 5 mans as primary healer. It's funny, good drops happen so fast in BC that I find myself replacing good gear every other level.

Looking up quests on Wowhead is really speeding up my quest times. Once I get Cartographer working (lots of startup errors) Im sure it will be even faster.

10-12hours per level seems pretty accurate. Instances are proving a fast way to break the quest grind and still get good XP. Also helps that the levels take longer so I have yet to run out of rest XP.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 10:46 am 

Excellent news! I'd say you are ready for Zangamarsh but sounds like you want to finish the Hellfire quests first.

For pure grinding on mobs to level, which I actually enjoyed, the bog lords in Zanga were great, and if you are an Herbalist they are outstanding.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 11:11 am 
Spammer

Yep the bog lords drop and can be herb harvested for motes of life, which should sell quite well, in both their existing form or combined to form primal lifes. I know I needed a ton of them to craft my tailoring epics.

They are also very easy to kill as a shadowpriest, just watch their poison mushroom drops.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 11:56 am 
Site Admin

yep Im off to Zanga. Given the number of quests available in HF I was kinda surprised when I realized I had done every single one. I quick look at wowhead confirmed that I found all the out of the way quests as well.

I'll start Zanga tonight. I think there is an instance there somewhere. I may also run BF a few more times.

Would be great to hit 65 by the weekend but not sure how much time I'll actually have.

I also want to start looking at my 70 gear I'll be making as a tailor to see what I should start collecting. - still need tons of mageweave for the grind though.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 1:25 pm 
Spammer

For your grind up tailoring and making your Frozen Shadowweave set you will need the following as a base:

- a shitload of Netherweave cloth. Think I went through 2400 or something during my grind up tailoring.
- Arcane Dust - from disenchanting level 60+ greens (these are used to craft imbued netherweave). Need LOTS!!
- Shadowcloth (made by combining imbued netherweave, primal shadow, and primal fire)
- Primal Water (38 for full frozen 3 piece set)
- Netherweb Spider Silk (8 for full 3 piece frozen set)

Once you specialize in shadowweave you will be able to create 2 shadowcloth every 4 days (damn long cooldown imo). You an craft the others, which takes Primal Life, Mana, and Water I think and then trade or sell for Shadow. Lucky for you, Motes of Shadow are the easiest to get and therefore the Shadow Primals are cheapest to buy off the AH (as well as shadowcloth being cheaper than primal mooncloth).

I actually didn't mind the tailor grind, but I had significant help from many people, both in SoA and friends in another guild who sent me boatloads of netherweave. I also spent about 900g in total getting mats off AH cause I was lvl 70 already and not patient to collect stuff myself.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 1:48 pm 

Or just get some gear through quests and upgrade with the stuff you can buy with honor.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 2:17 pm 
Spammer

GodOfGophers wrote:
Or just get some gear through quests and upgrade with the stuff you can buy with honor.

All depends on how much BGs he wants to do. Full time PvP, yeah you'd be better off with arena/BG gear, but if you want to fill in a few slots with prime caster gear, teh Frozen Shadowweave set is the way to go. Especially if you are going to be leveling tailoring anyways. This set holds its own in both BGs and PvE.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2007 10:33 am 

You have gotta respect the fact that Locks can "Fire and Forget" 2 instant casts and 1 short cast for HUGE damage. One lock can hit me for over 5k damage as I RIDE by. That's crazy. In AV I can imagine locks with a macro that is something like:

/tab
/Corruption, /Curse of Agony, /Siphon Life
/repeat