Avian Gamers Network

Forum
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:07 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 6:49 pm 
Site Admin

I was going to hijack the current thread in the Scourge board but figured I would yak (no relation) away in a new one.

I've been bouncing between three characters my 70 Priest (Dalaran), 29 Druid (Dalaran) and 22 Lock (horde).

I play my Priest if I just want to log in an do a few BGs. The more I play the priest the more I am not liking it. You really need to be fully purple to stand a chance as a PVP priest and it really does limit your abilities in PVE and instances. I have fun with the priest but not as much fun as I used to have.

My Druid is tons of fun to play. My Lock is also quite fun. Both these classes are new for me and the play style is much different from the Rogue, War and Priest I've played in the past.

I'm following Brian Kopps alliance level guide and the combination of that and the new XP, quest gains I am cruising through the levels. Since I usually only play a few nights a week that bit of rest xp also makes the levels seem like they are flying by.

The Druid is extremely versatile. With a feral build I can solo PVE 2-3 levels above me with little problems as well as tank instances. Having the new auto-shapeshift for healing and such is also a huge boon. Playing the different forms (and travel form for <40) is very welcome and breaks up the playstyle quite a bit.

My Lock is also crazy fun. It's like a Shadow Priest on crack - with a pet for a solo tank. Though I die a decent bit on the Lock it is still loads of fun to drop mobs so quickly. the Druid, however, is probably what I will take to 60. I'll see about 60-70 when I get there.

Anyway, just a random wondering of my current play. Again, my priest is holding less and less interest for me. Maybe I'll respec to a PVP healer but even then that would require me getting new BG gear to replace the Vet gear I already have. Even if I where holy most people want Pally orDruid healers for instances anyway these days.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 11:22 am 

I would say that playing any class, not just Priest, that is undergeared in PVP is going to be rough. Sadly it's just the way the game works.

I assume by your comment that he is Shadow. If he is, then he's more likely to targeted before even a healing priest. Shadowpriests are one of those classes that you have to kill fast or it's game over. You might want to look at the Discipline tree. Since season 3 started, I've seen several posts and comments saying how much better it was. I've even seen a couple with 43+ in the discipline tree. At the worst, it'll massively upgrade your survivability.

Glad you are finding the druid fun. It's an amazingly fun class to level. Wait until you get to 50 and mangle. You think you do damage now? It's a completely different universe of damage. And from 60 to 69 feral druids may be the most powerful class in the game. It's the only time in the game where we have superior itemization to other classes. Enjoy it well!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 2:53 pm 
Spammer

Quote:
I play my Priest if I just want to log in an do a few BGs. The more I play the priest the more I am not liking it. You really need to be fully purple to stand a chance as a PVP priest and it really does limit your abilities in PVE and instances. I have fun with the priest but not as much fun as I used to have.

QFT. Though my troll priest was a blast, priests suck at PvP. As Swift mentions, try going the holy/disc route for PvP. I did and found it helped survive a ton more but then you are just either spam healing yourself, or keeping others up. Its a matter of playstyle.

If I return, which is looking more likely, I think I will roll another lock or perhaps a hunter.

I have a 18 druid on the horde side and he is a blast. May actually play him a bit.

Damn WoW, always bringing me back... :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 3:31 am 

i never understood why people take more classes/characters then one,
but a skilled warlock can do really big things :)

dont know how the things changed after the level cap went up, but if you want some real pwn, get the warlock to a nice level, and attack stuff

but from what ive seen(really long ago), if they attack you, your going to be... :kenny:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 10:17 am 

Warlocks are not quite as dominant as they used to be. They continue to get small nerfs here and there and maybe more importantly are not getting buffed anywhere, while the other classes are.

I would say the game appears to be as balanced as it has ever been. But most of that balanced is based around the arena which is maybe not a great idea.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 12:09 pm 
Spammer

Well, wherever the best purpz are, that's where the hardcore players will gravitate towards and bitch about imbalances the most. Gotta love the arena.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 3:26 pm 
Site Admin

I do agree that Locks are quite fun. I have not PVP'd much with mine but the ranged instance dots really do huge damage in group battles.

If a lock goes for pure dmg and does not try and top teh leader board on honor kills, he can be brutal on the battlefield.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 6:22 pm 
Spammer

iJasonT wrote:
I'm following Brian Kopps alliance level guide and the combination of that and the new XP, quest gains I am cruising through the levels. Since I usually only play a few nights a week that bit of rest xp also makes the levels seem like they are flying by.

Do you have a link??

I need a leveling guide for my Pally. Tired of it taking so long. :wink:

DDO - Cannith - AlistairItor - Rogue/Ranger (5/3) - Main
DDO - Cannith - Guijanitor - Paladin/Rogue (4/1)
DDO - Cannith - RicochetItor - Rogue (5)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 6:56 pm 
Site Admin

PM me your email. Its a large file that also includes an ingame plugin.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 10:16 am 

Another addon I'd recommend for leveling is Lightheaded. It basically adds the quest comments from Wowhead into your quest log. And if you are using Cartographer then you can click on the coordinates in those comments and an arrow will point you in the direction you need to go for mobs or quest items, whatever.

It's avail on curse.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 3:02 pm 
Site Admin

My druid is now 31. I am done with Ashenvale, thank god!
the many forms of the druid really do make it fun, travelform at lvl 30 is awesome!

I only have about 3-4 hours a week I can play with a bit more on the weekends but with the guide I am using I can easily make 1 level per play session. rest XP and the increase of quest XP and lowering of lvl xp has also greatly helped in this.

It is pretty satisfying to be leveling so fast. Only other toon I've leveled this fast was a hunter and maybe my warrior. I thin one thing I like about the druid is the zero downtime.
I have the same stack of drink that Ive have for maybe 10 levels and I've really never eaten any food. using Cat form I DPS all mobs, pop a renew and back into cat form and continue fighting. Only after many 3-4-5 battles in a row have I ever accidentally found myself out of mana, a quick mana pot fixes that though.

All in all, Druids and the biz. Like the Pally, an all druid static group would totally dominate.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 3:32 pm 
Spammer

iJasonT wrote:
All in all, Druids and the biz. Like the Pally, an all druid static group would totally dominate.

I completely agree. We discussed that but BEs are just too fine. :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 4:11 pm 

iJasonT wrote:
I think one thing I like about the druid is the zero downtime.

This is the truth, and it gets better, I promise.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 6:05 pm 

My warrior/Ranger kicks some serious ass.

Uh...

Damn, wrong game. "_

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 11:12 pm 
Spammer

iJasonT wrote:
My druid is now 31. I am done with Ashenvale, thank god!
the many forms of the druid really do make it fun, travelform at lvl 30 is awesome!

I only have about 3-4 hours a week I can play with a bit more on the weekends but with the guide I am using I can easily make 1 level per play session. rest XP and the increase of quest XP and lowering of lvl xp has also greatly helped in this.

It is pretty satisfying to be leveling so fast. Only other toon I've leveled this fast was a hunter and maybe my warrior. I thin one thing I like about the druid is the zero downtime.
I have the same stack of drink that Ive have for maybe 10 levels and I've really never eaten any food. using Cat form I DPS all mobs, pop a renew and back into cat form and continue fighting. Only after many 3-4-5 battles in a row have I ever accidentally found myself out of mana, a quick mana pot fixes that though.

I haven't started following that guide yet, but I've read it and I gotta say, it looks like a fast way to level for anybody.

I'm going to use it on my Main and my new Hunter and see how it goes.

btw, thanks a lot for that.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 11:22 pm 
Spammer

I followed up on Swift's recommendation of Lightheaded and downloaded it along with TomTom (integrated coordinates tool and waypoint marker) and Doublewide (quest log enhancement). Wow. It's like easy-mode for questing.

I grabbed a handful of quests with Milo, located where I needed to go for them with Lightheaded, fed those coords into TomTom and then just pulled up my minimap to see what was closest. It's like a dynamic guide - I love it.

I plan on combining a guide (as mentioned above) with these three with my cow druid on Mael. The guide will help me pick the best quests (considering effort vs. XP/rewards) and the mods will keep me efficient in the execution of the quests. That's the theory, anyway. ;)

**EDIT**
Links:
Lightheaded
TomTom
DoubleWide

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2007 12:12 pm 
Spammer

Just a question for those playing on Dalaran as I have not followed your boards in detail. How many are still playing over there?

Just curious as there is a bit of resurgence going on over on the Horde Maelstrom side of Avian.

If anyone has ever had an incling to play a Horde character and maybe see what pvp is all about, now is the time to come over and try as we have activity on a number of low level characters as well as some high levels to help provide bags, insight, support, etc.

Rolling a new hunter over there brought new life to the game for me (I had actually cancelled my account for a month or so).

If you pop over, look up any of us for a guild invite. See our toon names to the left.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2007 12:21 pm 
Spammer

Angelus wrote:
Just a question for those playing on Dalaran as I have not followed your boards in detail. How many are still playing over there?

To put it into a couple of words: Not. Many. :P

There is a small handful I'll see online every now and then but our numbers have dwindled as people fell out of love with the game. I occasionally play Liro and Milo but mostly stick with Expliro (static group) on Dalaran.

When I sit down for some actual gametime, I head for Maelstrom and play as Milche, my lowbie druid (something about a French cow makes me chuckle). I haven't played him for a little while now (have been severely distracted from WoW with FPS now that I have a computer capable of them! :)) but I think he'll be seeing a little more play time in the near future.

I'd love to feel a part of a big group again so if the Scourge of Avian is rising again, count me in!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2007 1:23 pm 
Site Admin

yeah I actually enjoy the PVP server. However, even though it didn;t take long to get to lvl 30 with my limited playtime the thought of starting a new character elsewhere is not very encouraging :(

That and I have 700g on my now lvl 31 druid :)

My playtime is so random and spread out that it is sometimes just easier to solo so I feel I'm not much use to a guild a lot of the time.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2007 2:17 pm 
Spammer

Well, the invite to partake in some zany antics (see my post in the Scourge forums on running our hunters through Ally Ashenvale, Darkshore, and Teladrassil just to tame an owl) still stands.

Most of us there also have a super casual playstyle, and will likely try and get a static group going again one night during the week. Would love to see guildchat filled with useless banter (though you gotta admit, drunk Crodlar tends to fill that up quite a bit as is... :P )

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2007 4:34 pm 
Spammer

Rocklar wrote:
I'd love to feel a part of a big group again so if the Scourge of Avian is rising again, count me in!

Yeah, I made Prakarta a level 20 BE mage and wouldn't mind grouping up on occassion as well.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2007 5:22 pm 
Spammer

iJasonT wrote:

Is that all from following the Leveling guide??

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2007 5:45 pm 
Site Admin

Master Gui-Jan wrote:
iJasonT wrote:

I wish. it's actually just from all my other characters on that account. Not much in total but for a lvl 31, it's a lot.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2007 9:01 pm 
Spammer

iJasonT wrote:
Master Gui-Jan wrote:
iJasonT wrote:

I wish. it's actually just from all my other characters on that account. Not much in total but for a lvl 31, it's a lot.

btw, does this leveling guide include Burning Crusade quests, or are all the quests from the main game?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2007 12:54 am 
Site Admin

yeah there is an alliance 60-70 guide in a separate PDF.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2007 3:11 pm 

Angelus wrote:
.... Would love to see guildchat filled with useless banter (though you gotta admit, drunk Crodlar tends to fill that up quite a bit as is... :P )

I've already started down that path today....and I apologize for the comments in chat the other night.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2007 3:48 pm 
Spammer

Cordalis wrote:
Angelus wrote:
.... Would love to see guildchat filled with useless banter (though you gotta admit, drunk Crodlar tends to fill that up quite a bit as is... :P )

I've already started down that path today....and I apologize for the comments in chat the other night.

Hey, I thought you only had to apologize for drunken comments if you were in a 12-step program.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2007 9:03 pm 
Spammer

Rocklar wrote:
Cordalis wrote:
Angelus wrote:

Hey, I thought you only had to apologize for drunken comments if you were in a 12-step program.

Truth!

Guildchat is awsome with drunkards in it heh

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 7:16 pm 

If you're looking for groupings, I've still got several toons in the 30s, 40's, and 60's if you're ever looking for a group. I'm on Dalaran mostly either on Larong, Remus, Baylor, or Nartet. Just grouped with Holyshadow :shock: last night for some Nagrand quests.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 9:27 pm 
Spammer

Angelus wrote:
Rocklar wrote:
Cordalis wrote:
Angelus wrote:

Truth!

Does anybody know of a decent headset that is cheap? I would love to use the built in chat, I just can't convince my wife to let me buy a $50 headset.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 9:53 pm 
Spammer

Master Gui-Jan wrote:
Angelus wrote:
Rocklar wrote:
Cordalis wrote:
Angelus wrote:

Truth!

Does anybody know of a decent headset that is cheap? I would love to use the built in chat, I just can't convince my wife to let me buy a $50 headset.

Well what did you ask Santa for Christmas? Either that or start to siphon a few dollars here and there, let the collection grow then buy that 20 dollar headset with the extra30 dollars you managed to sneak away :lol: :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 11:59 am 
Spammer

Arindel wrote:
Master Gui-Jan wrote:
Angelus wrote:
Rocklar wrote:
Cordalis wrote:
Angelus wrote:

Truth!

Well what did you ask Santa for Christmas? Either that or start to siphon a few dollars here and there, let the collection grow then buy that 20 dollar headset with the extra30 dollars you managed to sneak away :lol: :wink:

I think I'll go with your second suggestion.

Santa's no longer allowed in my house, after that 'incident' at the last Xmas party I took my wife too. No woman can resist Santa.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 4:51 pm 
Spammer

LOL - Gui's last comment makes me want to watch Bad Santa (again!). Hilarious, dark movie!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 5:58 pm 
Spammer

Rocklar wrote:
LOL - Gui's last comment makes me want to watch Bad Santa (again!). Hilarious, dark movie!

lol, hell yeah. Billy Bob is great.