Avian Gamers Network

Forum
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 10:24 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Combat Upgrade Overview
PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2005 7:17 pm 
Site Admin

http://forums.station.sony.com/swg/boar ... 182#M56182

Some "very high level" details of the Upgrade. This will also be talked about in the chat tomorrow.

Last edited by Obo on Wed Feb 02, 2005 5:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2005 10:13 pm 
Site Admin

I like the looks of the top level info. Things like "Making First strike" less important to winning the battle and "State recovery moves sounds like the ever popular Dizzy KD will be gone.
I also like the Armor bonuses per profession and increasing ranged combat importance.

I'm sure I will check out these changes but I wonder, will these changes - while great - reduce the overall buggyness of the game?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2005 10:16 pm 
Site Admin

Cool stuff. Very cool stuff!

I wish they would have done all that stuff back in the planning days several years ago. It is sad how SWG was in position to lead the next gen MMOs, yet thanks to their lackadaisical planning they find themselves in a desperate race to catch up with the quality products on the market today. All these improvements, while great, they are original concept ideas that the game should have been built around from day one. This is the kind of think they should have released with… not waited 2 + years to add.

If they would have started with these ideas, or at least started moving in this direction without all the delays and hesitation, guys like me would have never left. I fear it is too late… I am not going back. The principal of the situation is what is keeping me from going back. I am just weird like that. I once told the girl I loved that I could not breakup with the current girl I was dating because the current girlfriend had done nothing wrong. If you can wrap your mind around that, you may understand the principals keeping me from SWG.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2005 10:35 pm 
Site Admin

iJasonT wrote:
I'm sure I will check out these changes but I wonder, will these changes - while great - reduce the overall buggyness of the game?

This is getting worked on. Some of the new devs are being tasked with bug hunting, and specifically the older bugs. The sliding out of the chair bug has been fixed for example :). Their plan is for shorter smaller publishes with more fixes in them. Not necessarily big themed publishes.

As for why this wasn't done in the first place. I think there was a post on Terra Nova by Raph comparing the differences in development time and resources between SWG and WoW. He said the SWGs systems were simply not revised enough (didn't go through enough iterations), or weren't given enough time to do so. Basically, was pushed too soon so blame it on the Suits. I’ll see if I can find the post some time.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2005 12:44 am 
Spammer

I dunno Obo...I made the point a while back in reference to a Cyrus post that EQ2 fixed a bug with a Rogue attack move within 6 weeks of live. PMD2 in SWG hasn't been fixed in 18 months. Same company...way different design philosophy, priority list, and interaction with their player base IMHO.

You can blame the launch on the suits I think...but not much else. I think its a joke when they say, "Oh, we didn't fix that because we're waiting for the combat balance."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2005 7:59 am 
Spammer

Sorry to say, but for me it's too little, too late.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2005 2:14 pm 
Spammer

Reading that high level preview makes me giddy with joy. That's exactly the kinda inspirational, meaningful, and dang blasted fun that the SWG battlezones (or whatever they were called) should have been.

If Blizzard can pull off what they are describing they will have a subscriber for many years to come. Nothing better than being being actively involved in an epic battle where your actions (successes and failures) directly impact the result of the war.

Now I just have to level to 50 so I can play these things right when they come out. (Mant, guess I'll be joining you in your grind spot) :D