Avian Gamers Network

Forum
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 8:54 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: CU Reviews
PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2005 10:52 pm 
Site Admin

Figured I would start a fresh thread for this.

Ive been ingame maybe an hour. I am a little torn about all this.

First the good:

I love love love the new HAM system. Granted Im still a noobie 1000 Marksman but it really is very nice.

*cough*

Now the bad news:
Buggy, so very buggy.
Auto attack does not work
AI is messed up, some things will not even attack me as I stand there and drill away at them
Once I attack a lair I cannot /peace I will remain in 'combat stance' - no music - until I attack something else and kill it. Even getting on my mount and dismounting does not fix it

Misc: Not good not bad just different
The 'grind' will take forever. Took me about 30-40 kills to get 1xxxmarksman.
No more spawn milking. Missions will incomplete if you leave for a while
Personally I like the new icons (many on the boards do not)
At noobie levels you dont need armor. I havent come close to getting incapped even once.
No Armor certs until you get Novice Elite

Conclusion: If they fix the *Mountain* of bugs and tweaks this will be a whole new game. If they don't...well we just started a whole new game with the same bugs we had 2 years ago.

Time will tell.

One thing is for sure. This aint your Fathers SWG anymore. Grouping is key, solo play is possible but it will be slow. Ill write more later once I grind up a bit.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2005 11:28 pm 
Site Admin

ok. To auto attack you need to set it first.

Press Control and the CLICK on the ATTACK in your Toolbar and it will be set as your autoattack.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2005 11:36 pm 
Spammer

i haven't been following it much ...will there be a conversion of your existing combat related skills...or is there some sort of massive reset thats going to occur?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2005 12:53 am 
Spammer

If the new icons are the ones Obo posted they are cool..for any MMORPG except SWG they totally do not fit the game's design at all they look like something out of Everquest or WOW

Former Head of Department of the Treasury
-------
Ask not what your PA can do for you, but what you can do for your PA
"Gone Section Five"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2005 1:11 am 
Site Admin

Keep the reviews coming… I am really rooting for SWG even if I don’t come back to it.

The one thing I remember was how fast things improved in the JtL beta. I hope the troubles you see Moge are fixed as quickly as similar things were fixed in JtL beta.

About the icons: The first thing I noticed in WoW was the wonderful icons. I was not expecting such a small thing to have that effect on me. They fit the art of the game very well. SWG is doing several small new things that EQ2 and WoW did successfully. I think the new SWG icons are a step in the right direction.... but their style does not "Do It" for me. I hope they are place holders, or look better in-game. The SWG website uses great Star Wars style. Some of that style was in SWG back when I played it… just not in the icons.

But hell what do I know. I am not playing SWG, I am just watching it like a hawk, hoping SOE does something that justifies me activating my account.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2005 1:22 am 
Spammer

Quote:
But hell what do I know. I am not playing SWG, I am just watching it like a hawk, hoping SOE does something that justifies me activating my account.

me too

and for those Browsing impaired...These were the images i was refering to
http://avian-gamers.net/images/ui_new_i ... mp.dds.gif
http://avian-gamers.net/images/ui_new_i ... p2.dds.gif
http://avian-gamers.net/images/ui_new_i ... p3.dds.gif
http://avian-gamers.net/images/ui_new_i ... p4.dds.gif

-------
"Gone Section Five"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2005 2:07 am 
Site Admin

ok here is a bit more.

the reason why nothing around the Noob areas in Cities are not attacking is becuase they are not -supposed to-. I guess all noob areas are risk free kill zones. :)

Without a group it will take you forever! to get Novice anything. We had a group of 5 people and we where all either 3000 or 0030 marksman and we got OWNED by a single gungan. We had 1k Ham and this guy hit us for 600+.

Armor better really work same for defenses or we are all screwed.

grouping is actually a lot fo fun now. You get full XP if you just get 1 shot off and while at the Noob level no one has 'specific abilities' you can see where you will all fit in the scheme of things once you get Novice.

There is a Bug right now where you can type any command and it will work so my group was playing around with Doc buffs and such. Looks like the initial Doc buff is in the Medic line and does 10% Health. Im sure that will increase with skill but that is where it starts. Nothing has timers so I have no idea how long that lasts.

The other Doc buffs where 20% combat speed, 10% Mind 10% action.
Also, CMs have /paralyze which is like a Root or Warcry and Docs have /bactaInfusion which is a Heal DOT.

As a noob game I feel a little limited being confined to the Noob areas to kill anything. Without armor even a Nightspider can 3 shot kill you. So Novice is where you can (right now) start actually fighting things.
Again, changing professions will suck! You will need a group of people to help you level to novice otherwise it will litereally take you days of camping Keren Starport spawns to get there.

I like the new specials. All professions have instant state heals. You get Recover from KD at Marksman which is cool. I think Rifleman get Recover Dizzy, Blind and stun. All seperate skills and I do not know the cool down time for them.

My final thoughts are still out as I hold reservation about how fast a noob gets killed. I wonder what it will be like at Novice or even master.

the AI Hate is way out of wack right now. If something incapps you it will attack you even before you are able to stand again. So if you go down, you will go down 2 more times. They need to loosen that up a bit; Give a Brother a chance!

Baring ALL of that, I like what I see. A little teak here and there and we have ourselves a ball game.

More later.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2005 2:18 am 
Site Admin

On Faction Armor: Its goign to cost MILLIONS!

Quote:
Schematics are bought in 10 use schematic packs from the recruiter by the Armorsmith using faction points , you must be in the faction and a master armorsmith and have enough points to buy them. You can then put a core into the appearance and sell the faction armor. The Buyer must Bio-Link the armor to their bodies by spending faction points from a menu that pops up the first time they try and equip the piece. Bio-Linked armor can be traded by only equipped by the person it is linked too.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2005 2:20 am 
Spammer

if only when I left I had not dropped armorsmith so that I would never be tempted...thats a tad ridiculous though but meh...

-------
"Gone Section Five"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2005 2:21 am 
Site Admin

Rather than waiting for one big thread Im just going to post these as I see them. Everything I post is a Dev comment.

Quote:
This is a common point I have seen all night and it is very obvious that people need to stop going after PURPLE conning mobs. In the current game I know folks pretty much ignore the color con of a mob, but it is very important in the new system. Reds and Purples are very very dangerous. At level 1 a level 5-7 Durni is going to stomp all over you, go look for some of the new level 1-5 mobs we put in around Bestine and Mos Eisley and see how you fare.

Characters are no longer invulnerable to everything, try to stick with white blue and green conning mobs. If you have trouble with the color, you combat level is under your group role symbol next to your HAM bar and the mob should reflect its level by a number in the center of its con bubble.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2005 2:23 am 
Site Admin

Quote:
1) Those I spoke with all brought up the missing FlameCone and of all our specials, that's the one they want back
...Flame throwers automagically do a flame cone AOE attack with every shot. It just makes sense for a flame thrower to work like this. The range will probably also be somewhat shorter since you can't really shoot flames that far. I know we're not shooting for 100% realism here, but these changes felt right.

2) I don't see our DoT listed as an inate ability of the FT...or for that matter, listed anywhere in our trees...what's up?
...DOTs are not given to commandos as innate abilities. DOTs come as effects on heavy weapons and grenades.

3) I issued myself a Rocket Launcher, but it has no stats
.... If you're just seeing a totally blank window then that's a bug with the UI that's being worked on at the moment. If not, it may be an issue with server lag. Give it a whirrl again tomorrow and let me know what you see.

4) Grenades have a stack size of 500 (is this on purpose...if so, YAY! but WS's might not like it).
... That might be too high.

5) Overall, many of our cert'd weapons seem to be in whacky areas...the Rocket Launcher at Flame I, the FlameThrower at Flame III...what's up with that?
... We needed to move the certs around for balance reasons. The placements might not be final though.

Quote:
I can see the confusion. Sorry about that. All pre-CU DOTs will be removed from the weapons (such as NS lances). After CU only select Commando weapons will have have chance to land a DOT and only where it makes sense as part of the weapon utility - Flame thrower being the one that comes to mind first. There will however, be no more standard weapon DOTs as part of the weapon itself (as TH stated) aside from that. We will still have DOTs, but they won't be applied via the weapon any longer (except in the special case of select commando weapons).

Hope that cleared it up a bit.

Commando: The next FOTM :)

Explains why Commandos are the next FOTM
Quote:
Wait until you check out the other effects. Especially grenades. I'm going to want some feedback on those.

Today...

...I'm pretty sure everyone gets at least some of the new weapons. They're just not all given out as part of the box. In general, you should only see weapon certs in the skill trees that can be crafted by smiths. Loot/quest weapons will most likely not show up in the trees. There are some VERY cool new weapons in there. Playing a commando myself though, I'm of course partial to the heavy weapons.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2005 2:30 am 
Site Admin

Quote:
Helios_SOE
Dev

Today...

JoKen_Jash wrote:
Here are my two main issues:

1. No assault rifle/high speed weapon.

...There is at least one weapon I can think of off hand that is not listed on the skill tree.

1. No specials of our own.

... The commando specials are built into the weapon. This means when you start to stack commando weapon certs (that give you special attacks via the weapon itself) with special moves from say Rifleman or Bounty Hunter or Carbineer you get some really potent attacks.

THIS IS F*CKING AWESOME!!!
Woot.

Ok seriously. Enough. I dont want to be a commando but it looks like everyone will be. Only Prof with a DOT and there specials travel from profession to profession. So they can have a Rifleman DOT etc. I know this Dev plays Commando but he just made a God Mode :( That bothers me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2005 3:06 am 
Site Admin

Quote:
Again the only noobie yards that have correct level mobs in them are Bestine and Eisley right now. Just because it is a rabbit doesnt mean it isnt a rabbit 5-10 levels above you. If it was a NPC 5 levels above you it would smash you down as well.

Again try to stick to fighting mobs no more than 1 to 2 levels above you when you are a noob. Try to avoid messing with Purples if they are lizards, snakes or even big rabbits.

Also xp hasn't been adjusted yet, ideally we only want you to kill a few things before you get the first box, just needs some tweaking.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2005 3:53 am 

iJasonT wrote:
Quote:
Again the only noobie yards that have correct level mobs in them are Bestine and Eisley right now. Just because it is a rabbit doesnt mean it isnt a rabbit 5-10 levels above you. If it was a NPC 5 levels above you it would smash you down as well.

Heh, pythonesque Killer Rabbit!

But seriously, these changes look cool.
Just made Aubai on TC-5, I'll log in later today for a little more testing...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2005 4:01 am 
Site Admin

Looking at the trees I noticed that Block, Dodge and Counter are gone. TKA gets an 'unarmed Protection' thing and I didnt look at the others but rifleman and most others only get Ranged and Melee Def.

Im sure this is a good thing, it prevents stacking and keeps the def mods in the professions that are supposed to have them.

BTW. Jedi looks like it may be Nerf central. Our Saber Block was reduced to 85 total and our toughness has been taken away completely. *ALL* Defensive stats where moved to Defense tree so now it looks like MLS and Mdef are going to be almost required leaving only enough points to get 2 more trees.

No one is testing jedi yet but man o man, this could be the beginning of the end for Jedi. It really looks grim.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2005 10:25 am 
Spammer

I don't know if you guys remember, but Commando was already God Mode.

Commando / TKM is a monster in the current game.

Played for about an hour last night... LOVE the new icons, and I did quite a bit of looking through the skill trees...

I will love this new system once we get all the bugs out... that is what "Beta" is for...

Obviously, my name is Mantison on TC-5. Started on Tat.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2005 11:27 am 
Spammer

I'm working on the DL now. Still sick today so hope to join you guys on TC-5 today. We should do some nice grouping like the old days by the sounds of it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2005 12:05 pm 
Site Admin

iJasonT wrote:
Looking at the trees I noticed that Block, Dodge and Counter are gone. TKA gets an 'unarmed Protection' thing and I didnt look at the others but rifleman and most others only get Ranged and Melee Def.

It would seem you get the defences for the type of damage you deal. Commandos get Heavy Weapon Defence.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2005 5:37 pm 
Site Admin

Quote:
Ancient Krayt Dragon

Level: 334
Health: 65k
Resists: 60% (according to combat log)
Hits a noob for: 17540 points of damage!
Regens health: Yes

Found this on the boards. I think Max player level is 60 :shock:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2005 5:48 pm 

I am actually considering renewing my account, didnt think I ever would but some of this really has me interested (especially since I havent really played WoW in about 2 weeks). I would like to see how the armorsmithing profession ends up in this, been reading the forums a bit today as I have had time and it looks interesting.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2005 5:52 pm 
Site Admin

Honestly, if they get the Balance right this really could be the game we all have been waiting/praying/hoping for. But It all comes down to balance.

I really do love the new combat system. The new weapons, armor damage types. I even like that we have PL and CLs now (player level, creature level).

No more soloing huge mobs, groups actually have a purpose. No more lair milking (I confirmed this again today). So many good thing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2005 6:06 pm 
Site Admin

more on faction armor. Again, all my Quoted posts are direct Dev posts.

Quote:
We are forcing you to take a stand in the War to supply factional armor to that side. No one is forcing you to join the GCW if you don't want to, you just won't have the benefits of being able to make and sell factional armor.

Factional points are obtainable in space, ground combat or via a nice friendly local Smuggler. I am sure the Smuggler's will appreciate the influx of new customers.
The reason ths customer needs to spend faction points when they Bio-Link the armor is because the schematic packs are fairly inexpensive to the Smith. We still want the faction cost of the armor to be about the same as it currently is. So it was split up partially between the supplier and the end User. As to what the market price of Armor Cores becomes, that remains to be seen.

Again if you do not want to participate in the GCW, you don't have to.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2005 6:10 pm 
Site Admin

iJasonT wrote:
I even like that we have PL and CLs now (player level, creature level).

Well, they were always there, just didn't mean much with everything screwed up.
I'm not sure how I feel about the "levels". I'd like to see if a bit more transparent.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2005 6:50 pm 
Site Admin

Quote:
ZionHalcyon is correct, if you DO NOT have the first series of Mitigating numbers in the Novice box, you can not equip that style of armor. If you untrain the novice box that grants you the basic mitigators it will strip that armor off you.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2005 11:45 am 
n00b 4 3v3r

Anyone taken a good look through the skill trees yet?

Pathfinder Kingmaker Campaign:
Gednan Malithanar - Wizard (1)
Dukin Thunderstrike - Ranger (1)

Star Citizen: - https://www.robertsspaceindustries.com/
AntanKarmola on their forums

Star Wars: The Old Republic: - Not really playing
Antare Karmola - Jedi Guardian (32)
Antan Karmola - Jedi Shadow (21)
Arianae Karmola - Gunslinger (20)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2005 2:58 pm 
Spammer

My experience so far testing the CU....

Lag.... lag....... LAG...... laglaglaglag........ LLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG..............

And really, really buggy.

The lag made it nearly impossible for me to test anything, so I can't form an opinion on the changes yet.

I know it's in testing. I know bugs are supposed to be rampant.... but this really reminds me of initial release, and I have a sinking feeling they are going to do the same thing they did before.... release it too damn early with way too many damn bugs in it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2005 3:34 pm 
Spammer

I am holding back comment on the CU until I can actually get in and test the significant changes besides having uber-worrts rampant around Bestine :D

Once they fix the lag and xp/kill issues I should be good to dig in deeper.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2005 3:38 pm 
n00b 4 3v3r

If I remember rightly, the early tests for JTL were lag-ridden and they fixed that.

I've had a little play on TC and the changes are certainly interesting. Will have to group up with a few of you at some point and have a good group session.

The xp is a bit annoying. I got 35xp for everything, regardless of how tough it was.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2005 5:24 pm 
Site Admin

Lag: Where were you at? I immediatly moved to Keren and I dont get much lag at all. There are to billion people on Tat and Theed so the Lag there is horrible

XP: Devs have said teh XP is way wrong. They will be raising it. The idea is that you can make the first box is only a few kills, not 50-60 like it is now.

Bug: The major bugs they dev have already acknowledged and should be fixed Monday or Tuesday.

Ive read almost every dev post over the last few days and there have been over 50 posts, I actually have high hopes for this CU. Time will tell though.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2005 8:06 pm 
Spammer

I've been on Tat. First around Mos Eisley, then around Bestine. Lag is so horrible inside the city that It took me literally a half an hour to get the skill trainer to talk to me in order to train Pistols 1. I stayed on Tat mostly because the Devs have said that is where they want to concentrate testing for now. Bear in mind that I'm stuck with dialup, so it's worse than you broadband folks.

I've been grouped most of my time in-game. The XP is excruciatingly slow. I really can't wait for them to fix it.

AI is completely messed up. Most of the time, you can shoot at anything and it'll never turn around to attack you. Creature lairs are not worth shooting, as it takes a half an hour to kill one.

I guess I'm concerned about the timeline the Devs have made to push this to live. The Combat system touches everything in the game. There is nowhere near enough time to get it done right by when they want to release it. It's a major overhaul, and they should be taking their time to get it done right. This is the part that reminds me of the original release.

It's these things that make it so that I really can't get a feel of what the CU is going to be like. Hopefully after they fix some of the most glaring issues, I can get a better idea of how things are going to be. I also hope they allow us to test out the elite professions soon, too. I really want to see what my Smuggler is going to be like in combat. I'm thinking of going Smuggler/Commando, as I may need the extra muscle after they put Smuggling missions in the game.

I have to say... I'm not crazy about the new icons. They're not as clear as the old ones. I am also not a fan of most of the new particle effects, as I think they don't really fit into a Star Wars atmosphere. It's fine for EQ2, but not in SWG.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2005 8:10 pm 
Site Admin

TC is down for a publish update. I hope this is the XP/AI fix as all else kinda rests on that. Ill post notes once I see them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2005 8:14 pm 
Spammer

iJasonT wrote:
TC is down for a publish update. I hope this is the XP/AI fix as all else kinda rests on that. Ill post notes once I see them.

We can only hope.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2005 10:52 pm 
Site Admin

XP is fixed. I get about 900xp per nuna now and things see to be attacking me. Im almost 4004 marksman now.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2005 12:34 am 
Site Admin

Well after my second evening of play and the new Patch I can say things are looking up.

XP is right on target. It took me 3-5 kills to get the first box and I am now 3333 Marksman in about 2 hours time.

Group Missions are fun now. there is now a Player Level and a Group Level. So once grouped your Total level is taken into account. I grouped with a level 5 player and our GL was 7, after we both dinged it went to 8.

Lairs now spawn acourding to your GL now and will spawn more or fewer and tougher or weaker MOBS depending on your GL (based on who is with XXm of the lair when it spawns).

Small changes like with make it seem to me that all is on track. I think my Wednesday things will be looking very good and we will probably be moving on to Novice Elites by then.

Again I have to say how much I like the new HAM system. No buffs, no worries just get load the game and go kill. Love it.

Now the bad stuff:
the Hate system is still way to high. I get incapped again before I am able to even stand.
Lag lag lag
Ive even rubberbanded a few times.
blah blah blah.

But with one patch they did manage to fix a slew to problems. Monday is probably the next patch and I would like to see Group UI fixed first. Not having your Group GUI update cuases huge problems for Tanks and Docs.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2005 1:58 am 
Spammer

iJasonT wrote:
Again I have to say how much I like the new HAM system. No buffs, no worries just get load the game and go kill. Love it.

Despite the bad stuff listed after this excerpt, it sounds like a breath of hope wafted in...I'm definitely going to keep an ear open to what you guys are saying about the changes.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2005 2:02 am 
Site Admin

there really shouldn't be any mistake. Other than the Jedi system (which I think is FUBAR) I am quite pleased with the CU.

I continue to list the good and the bad but for me if they even come close to balancing the CU compaired to what Live is now, I am sold.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2005 7:34 am 
n00b 4 3v3r

iJasonT wrote:
I continue to list the good and the bad but for me if they even come close to balancing the CU compaired to what Live is now, I am sold.
I agree. I think they'll get the main system down with this update and will continue to tweak it for the next few months. Remember with JTL, by the end of beta it was much better than the start of beta and then, when it went live, the odd tweaks here and there were still done to improve it further. So, the CU doesn't have to be exactly right when it goes live, it just has to be 90-95% right.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2005 5:11 pm 
n00b 4 3v3r

Ok, logged in again tonight.

• The XP is much better.
  • The levelling system encourages you to go for the stronger targets as you level or the XP is reduced.
  • Beginning to not like the icons, as many have said they are too confusing.
  • I do like the fact that I can use my two-hand weapon melee abilities with a one-handed weapon. So I can get a more powerful attack on the lesser weapon. This aids advancement progress when trying to level in more than one skill branch.
  • The way attacks are queued is still a bit buggy. You seem to have to re-initiate the auto-attack after doing a different special.
  • I do like the way that you can set up the auto-attack.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2005 1:23 am 
Site Admin

I am probably going to stay away from CU for a little bit. I log in every day to see the progress but things really seem to be getting, well, not better.

I know they need to break things to fix things but I fear that with the amazing amount of bugs in CU right now that they will not have time to actually balance the game.

I still hae high hopes for CU but for now I will stay away becuase I seem to get less and less happy about what I am seeing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2005 7:18 am 
n00b 4 3v3r

Surely if you're getting less and less happy it would make sense to log in more? You can then give detailed feedback as to what it is you do and don't like and hope that that feddback is acted upon.