Avian Gamers Network

Forum
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 6:43 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2005 6:43 pm 
Site Admin

aka... SWG basically morphs into SWG2

From a report from F13 from the recent Austin Game Conference...
http://www.f13.net/index2.php?subaction ... m=&ucat=1&

Quote:
Last week at the Austin Game Conference, John Smedley, the president of SOE, mentioned in his keynote address that their upcoming DC comics MMO would be real-time combat. We bumped into him later that day and asked if what he said was true and he assured us it was. He also happened to mention SWG would be going real-time combat as well. He asked us not to print anything until SOE unveiled some of their upcoming changes today.

From our man in the field, schild:

Quote:
quote (schild):
Ok, so I'm here at SOE's Austin studio and I've played the new build of SWG which is going to be pushed onto test on Friday...with no real press. Basically they went through, ripped out 80% of the classes, left in the following: Force Sensitive, Bounty Hunter, Officer, Smuggler, Commando, Spy, Trader (all the tradeskills - 4 base sets now - Domestics, Structures, Munitions, Engineering), Medic and Entertainer. Here's the deal. Left click shoots - you have to aim. Right click fires off a special ability.

No more auto attack.
No more hotkey combat.

Once collision detection goes in, this will probably be the game I play. There's actual skill involved now. You can run from people and they can't just autohit you.

I don't know how else to explain it other than SOE has done the right thing. They've revitalized combat in an MMOG. It's a huge step in the right direction. Do I think they'll perfect it here? No. But it's by far the most interesting thing a studio has done. They've taken a gamble, and from what I've seen it's paid off. In other words, they've added the "Wars" back to Star Wars. It's been in the works for over a year now. In fact, the expansions could probably be called smokescreens for the launch of the real game. It'll shake things up.

Cons? 90 levels. The exp curve isn't bad though.
Good? Lots of neat skills such as Orbital Strike, theft from NPCs, working stealth for spies, fencing goods in the field for smugglers, and above all - combat based at least 75% on skill. It isn't quite Unreal Tournament, but it's nowhere near the crap combat we've dealt with for 10 years.

When it rolls out in a few weeks I'm hoping some of you will actually take the dive again with me and see where it goes, if for no other reason than to support innovation. In all seriousness, almost all the changes are for the better. Before anyone else says it - yes, it was shocking to me that SOE took this angle on restructuring an MMOG first. Even moreso that Lucasarts supported it. Ding. Grats.

Needless to say that left me wanting to know more, so I tried to follow-up with schild while he was busy playing an internal build of the overhaul.

Quote:
quote (schild):
SOE and LucasArts are 100% behind this. The goal is to make the game more fun, to make you feel like a part of the Star Wars universe.

This is not something that will be done a week or even a month from now. From what schild can gather, we're looking at 6 months or more before this is rolled out to every server. The entire game is changing. No "classic" servers, everything will be the revamped game.

In order for them to implement collision detection, every art asset in the game has to be gone through. That's why we're looking at 6+ months.

Space combat will stay the same.

Like us, I assume many of you have questions and we'll do our best to answer them in the coming days, weeks and months. For right now I have a reason to re-activate my SWG subscription and that's something that one week ago I thought I would never have a reason to do.

Join the amazement.

[EDIT] Information is continuing to roll in.

Quote:
quote (schild):
Think Diablo. You can also hold down left click like a machine gun. But uhmmm, yea. It's getting there.

As for weapons, here's the deal. The abilities are class specific, not weapon specific. You want to wield melee? Any class can do it. Etc. It's well done. Balance isn't one of the hugest issues here as once CD is in, the game will require more skill. For every bit of skill put into a game, you don't need to worry so much about balance. I'm interested in seeing orbital strike or a called in artillary shot during PvP. It'll be interesting.

And this just from LA (via Tiggs)
Julio Torres wrote:
Greetings Star Wars Galaxies Players, Fans, and Other Denizens of the Galaxy:

My name is Julio Torres and I am the Producer on Star Wars Galaxies for LucasArts. We wanted you, the great members of the Galaxies community, to be the first to hear some exciting news about the current and future plans for Star Wars Galaxies!

Over the past year we have been working hard to respond to feedback we have gotten from players, fans, focus groups, and other research. This feedback has ultimately centered on one key area: the game does not feel like a heroic Star Wars experience. Currently, the early game has a steep learning curve and there is no clearly defined path of advancement or adventure. Many of our fans who bought the game did not see enough Star Wars style action early-on and ultimately left our world. It is our goal to change this and improve the experience for all players.

We are introducing a series of game enhancements to Star Wars Galaxies this month that include both significant enhancements to the live game as well as a completely redesigned experience for new players. The primary areas of focus include combat and profession and character development. The combat depicted in the Star Wars films, fiction, and canon that we have all come to know and love is fast-paced, action-packed, and visually intense. In order to stay true to the Star Wars fiction as well as to make the combat system more engaging, we have shifted the turn-based paradigm towards a much more engaging fast-action combat system where you control every move! After receiving feedback from members of the community, conducting extensive focus tests, and evaluating the combat systems of other games in the genre, we are confident this new fast-action combat truly delivers what players, fans, and gamers have come to expect from a Star Wars experience.

As mentioned earlier, combat is not the only area where we decided to focus our improvement efforts. We have also improved and brought more clarity to the profession and character development system.

Changing a live game is never easy. We realize that players do not like to have their experience altered. These enhancements will take some getting used to and for that reason we lined-up some incentives for the current players to enjoy as our thanks for your loyalty to our game.

We value our community and want you to stay with us. Our goal is to continuously improve the Star Wars experience, the one we all know and love from the films and fiction; action-packed, story-driven, Star Wars fun. With these features and enhancements we are setting the stage for incredible things to come for Galaxies with more announcements happening in the coming months.

I'd like to thank you all for your continued support of Star Wars Galaxies and for making it one of the premier gaming experiences online today.

May The Force Be With You,

Julio Torres, Producer - LucasArts

There is also a new "Starter Kit" which is the original and JTL in one for $19.99

I just cancelled my accounts, but I may resub to check this out.

Last edited by Obo on Thu Jan 26, 2006 5:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2005 7:18 pm 

this will for sure make me reinstall and pay for at least one month of the game.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2005 7:23 pm 
Spammer

"Its a trap!"

Former Head of Department of the Treasury
-------
Ask not what your PA can do for you, but what you can do for your PA
"Gone Section Five"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2005 7:36 pm 
Spammer

/agree

i may login again 6 months AFTER this "re-vamp" is live...

i have the all access pass which i've contemplated canceling as i don't login much to eq2 either....hmmmm

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2005 7:45 pm 
Spammer

dbakke wrote:
/agree

i have the all access pass which i've contemplated canceling as i don't login much to eq2 either....hmmmm

Considering their track record, you may actually be quite adventurous giving it a chance after just 6 months.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2005 8:09 pm 
Spammer

Rocklar wrote:
dbakke wrote:
/agree

Considering their track record, you may actually be quite adventurous giving it a chance after just 6 months.

Maybe if they give us 1/6th the time we already paid for into it, for free, I'll consider joining up right away.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2005 8:32 pm 
Site Admin

wow. Well I may reconsider my Jedi sell now.

All in all. I am curious but not convinced. This seems like a Battlefield MMO. All of LucasArts games are FPS so it seems they want to make SWG into SWG-FPS and now SWG-MMO.

But I am very curious.

Last edited by iJasonT on Wed Nov 02, 2005 9:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2005 8:42 pm 
Site Admin

Random Dev quotes from the boards (which are on fire right now)

Quote:
All current players will be given the chance to sample all the new professions before choosing one. Each veteran player (existing characters active in-game prior to the introduction of the enhancements) will receive a “re-spec” (change or revise a character’s basic skills and abilities) token with ten uses/charges to provide the opportunity to try any and all of the professions once before making your final choice. Currently, there is no time limit for when to use the “re-spec” tokens – players will use of them until all of the opportunities have been used. As an additional bonus, all current active characters will be able to begin advancing through new levels as we are adding 10 levels to the combat advancement system, level 80 – 90.

Jedi will be able to choose any of the nine iconic new professions, including the Jedi profession. Regardless of a veteran Jedi’s (existing active Jedi characters prior to the introduction of the game enhancements) re-spec choice the character will gain items and abilities that will represent the original accomplishments achieved by that character. These include specifically, the ability to take on the transparent Blue form of an ascended Jedi, a special Robe that is endowed with protective properties, and an exclusive new lightsaber with a unique color that deals more damage. All of these new items are being given to existing Jedi characters in recognition for their past achievements.

Quote:
Yes, we are hoping to have this on Test Center in the next week.

Also, a new FAQ should be posted 'in a few minutes'.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2005 8:52 pm 
Site Admin

Revamp FAQ:
http://www.avian-gamers.net/forums/view ... 0376#90376

Quote:
Psychopyro80 wrote:

Hello all. As most of you know, I have been in Austin the last day and a half. We have been testing out new changes to Star Wars Galaxies. While most people will be afraid and uneasy about the changes, I want to let you know about what is going on, and how things are going.

First, let me start by saying that combat has become more fun and is a better change for the game. No longer will it be all about mashing specials and the best weapon. This is a new system and is not a rehash of the old or current system. With that im mind, please keep an open mind.

Now coming will be a drastic change in skills. There will be 9 classes as follows:

Smuggler, Bounty Hunter, Commando, Medic, Force Sensitive, Officer (think SL), Tradesman, Entertainer, Spy. Poli and Pilot will remain unchanged.

Most experience can no be either quest based or grinding. With skills will come abilities as well as rewards. Crafters will have 4 sub crafters. I will not get into the large scale of the changes. As there are others that are also having things to say about it.

Basic points, entertainers and crafters will no longer draw agro unless they pick a fight. There are drastic changes to the way that specials work. I will be writing up basic 0.1 guides when I get back home tonight. Those will be in more detail.

As for TC itself, please hear me before you go nuts on this.

TC will be put in stasis for a week or two to start out. These are drastic changes that need to be worked and tested from level 1. After that, TC will be brought up to test mid to high level as well as /respec. The detalis on this will be each person gets 10 respecs on which the 10th will be permanant. You cannot change your skills anymore, what you start is, is what you are. No surrendering and re-grinding.

AND ALSO THERE WILL BE NO BLUE FROGS SO DON'T EVEN THINK OF ASKING!!!!!!!!!!!

I know TC does not want another mothball. I did all I could, but the fact remains that we need low newbie testing. I did manage to get you all notice. Please use it to the fullest.

I will leave the rest of the details to other people who were here as well.

List of links
http://forums.station.sony.com/swg/boar ... id=1322734

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2005 9:25 pm 
Spammer

Tempting but I think I'll let a fellow Avian be the first guinea pig back. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2005 11:40 pm 

What a way of admitting the last 2 years was a total waste....

fail·ure
n.

1. The condition or fact of not achieving the desired end or ends: the failure of an experiment.
2. One that fails: a failure at one's career.
3. The condition or fact of being insufficient or falling short: a crop failure.
4. A cessation of proper functioning or performance: a power failure.
5. Nonperformance of what is requested or expected; omission: failure to report a change of address.
6. The act or fact of failing to pass a course, test, or assignment.
7. A decline in strength or effectiveness.
8. The act or fact of becoming bankrupt or insolvent.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2005 9:57 am 
Spammer

hmmmm, VERY interesting.......

I guess I will continue my subscription till this hits and see whats what...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2005 10:37 am 

I can't believe they just bust this out like this and plan to roll it out in a few weeks... am I wrong, or is this going tototally screw the existing player base (however small it is) in any sort of profession grinding they were currently doing?

Section 5
Now Playing: WoW
--------------------

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2005 10:59 am 
Site Admin

Truly Scary! Desperate times call for desperate measures. I bet this is the final do or die for the game.

I think back to the other desperate measures SoE has done to the game. Hologrinding, Jedi, combat revamp fiasco... none of them have been good. The abundance of Jedi killed the timeline I bought into... thus killing the game for me and thousands more. Not to mention the fact that they could not do key professions any form of justice, and they took a promising play style for the crafters and forced us to become combatants.

The state and history of SWG makes me want to cry. This kind of information is not a good sign for the game. Regardless of if you like the changes or not, the message is one that says “Current game is not succeeding, activate desperate plan B”. Only this is not plan B, there were a few other desperate plans activated before now, and they did not work either.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2005 11:02 am 
Site Admin

Just the other day I compared the details of the newest SWG expansion to WoW's newest expansion.

SWG expansion:
Quote:
Over 50 new quests and missions.
Join Obi-Wan Kenobi in his quest for redemption.
Discover and defeat the legendary Separatist Droid army.
Discover the mysteries of the Old Republic as you uncover ancient weaponry and technology.
Visit locations from Episode III: Revenge of the Sith™ including the site where Anakin Skywalker had his final battle with Obi-Wan Kenobi.
Visit the ruins of the ancient Jedi Order and defeat new enemies of the force.
Battle dozens of new Creatures such as the Xandank, Tulrus, and Blistmok.
Uncover hundreds of new loot items including weapons like the Mustafarian Disruptor and the SFOR Republic Carbine which utilizes Old Republic technology.
Explore an all-new adventure planet featuring brand new environmental and graphical technology such as unique heat shimmer and lava effects.
Earn the new YT-2400, a multi-passenger ship fashioned after that of Dash Rendar.

WoW expansion:
Quote:
Two new playable races, including the magical Blood Elves
New starting zones in Quel'Thalas and beyond
The entire new continent of Outland, reachable through the Dark Portal
Many new high-level dungeons to explore in Azeroth, Outland, and elsewhere
New flying mounts in Outland
Many new and dangerous monsters, including epic world bosses
Hundreds of new quests
Hundreds of new items
A new profession: Jewelcrafting
Socketed items
And much, much more...

SWG expansion gives you over 50 new quests and missions; WoW expansion gives you hundreds of new quests. That simple comparison right there is an example of how Blizzard is taking SoE to the wood shed for a beating. It is as if we are watching a high school team play against a pro team.

I guess it all starts with having a solid core game to build off of. Either game could have been a great success if build off of a solid core. SWG was never given that opportunity and in the years to pass they made grandiose errors of decision that compounded their problems.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2005 11:15 am 

This is Plan E. Who knows, maybe the new version could be fun? But it won't. And there's 2 glaring reasons why. The first being that this is going to get a whopping two weeks of testing on TC. history has proven that bugs and errors reporting on TC rarely get corrected before Live. Two weeks is also a laughable amount of time for testing. I test login scripts to map network drives at work longer than two weeks. I don't think any more elaboration is needed on that. The second reason is if this is going to be twitched based combat, why is there a belief that the current SWG infrastructure will be able to support that kind of input? It stuggles horrible now with turn based combat!
Is the lag going to magically disappear using the same hardware running the game now? Each galaxy/cluster may be able to handle it if everyone who says they're cancelling actually cancels. But then that brings in server consolidation, re-upping the load in the new cluster.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2005 12:10 pm 
Spammer

I think we give it a try, see how it works, before writing it off completely.

Thats just me though.

If they are simplifying the combat scripts this much, I can imagine it would speed up response time considerably..

And as far as crafting, now crafters can be crafters, they don't even get agro'd....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2005 12:28 pm 
Spammer

smells like a planetside / EQ2 hybrid...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2005 6:32 pm 

Tetran wrote:
What a way of admitting the last 2 years was a total waste....

fail·ure
n.

1. The condition or fact of not achieving the desired end or ends: the failure of an experiment.
2. One that fails: a failure at one's career.
3. The condition or fact of being insufficient or falling short: a crop failure.
5. Nonperformance of what is requested or expected; omission: failure to report a change of address.
6. The act or fact of failing to pass a course, test, or assignment.
7. A decline in strength or effectiveness.
8. The act or fact of becoming bankrupt or insolvent.

forgot #9

9. Raph "I have no clue" Koster.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2005 8:06 pm 

I think #2 covers Koster lol

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2005 1:40 am 
Spammer

HAHA gotta be kidding me right ? This game alone itself has been like 10 games already wtf are they doing ?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2005 2:24 am 
Site Admin

Some screenshots from the new tutorial
http://www.unc.edu/~rtcherry/SWG/

Currently downloading and will try it out soon.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2005 11:22 am 
Spammer

Flyoc wrote:
HAHA gotta be kidding me right ? This game alone itself has been like 10 games already wtf are they doing ?

Yeah, aren't the devs great? 10 games for the price of one!! That's why I stopped playing WoW... you only get one game there. pffft.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2005 11:46 am 
Spammer

fail·ure wrote:

It would have to be functioning properly first, so this doesn't work.
fail·ure wrote:

I think this is the best definition.

Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me.

I agree that waiting is the best answer, they don't dangle enough carrots to get me back in.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2005 12:54 pm 
Site Admin

Obo wrote:
Some screenshots from the new tutorial
http://www.unc.edu/~rtcherry/SWG/

Currently downloading and will try it out soon.

Is the on TC? I may have to Dload TC again - ugh.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2005 1:06 pm 
Site Admin

Do you guys remember several months back when rumor had it that LA was going to take over SWG and possibly phase SoE out? I am not sure if that was the accurate summary of the rumor, but none the less do you remember this rumor?

When I was looking at the screenshots Obo posted, I noticed that a few had what looked to be professions windows up. These windows looked very different from what I remember of SWG. Also I noticed the art around the chat boxes looked different.

With such new and different looking art and window layout, do you think these changes are a result of the LA rumor coming true? Such changes as the rumor would take a long time to begin showing up. Also I would imagine that the new team would have to design their improvements and demo them to the powers that be before getting the green light to take over.

Seems from the art and the fundamental changes that new talent and new vision have gotten their hands on SWG. Factor in the short testing schedule and the comments that these changes have been developing in the background for over a year. I wonder if this is LA taking a stronger role.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2005 1:24 pm 
Site Admin

Animated Gif of Jedi skill tree
http://www.trgapa.com/images/jediskills.gif

Character selection
http://www.swg-fr.com/modules/view_scre ... _id=&nsp=1

Note the Iconic images in the middle. I guess that 'is' more Star Warsy isn't it? :roll:

Skill Advancment
http://www.unc.edu/~rtcherry/SWG/Jedi%2 ... 0Complete/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2005 1:57 pm 

Cyrus Rex wrote:
Do you guys remember several months back when rumor had it that LA was going to take over SWG and possibly phase SoE out? I am not sure if that was the accurate summary of the rumor, but none the less do you remember this rumor?

When I was looking at the screenshots Obo posted, I noticed that a few had what looked to be professions windows up. These windows looked very different from what I remember of SWG. Also I noticed the art around the chat boxes looked different.

With such new and different looking art and window layout, do you think these changes are a result of the LA rumor coming true? Such changes as the rumor would take a long time to begin showing up. Also I would imagine that the new team would have to design their improvements and demo them to the powers that be before getting the green light to take over.

Seems from the art and the fundamental changes that new talent and new vision have gotten their hands on SWG. Factor in the short testing schedule and the comments that these changes have been developing in the background for over a year. I wonder if this is LA taking a stronger role.

I belive so. I'd say if they begin to work a little bit more on the GCW-plot and make some more work of the professioans (especially the smuggler) This could be a turn to the much better

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2005 3:25 pm 
Site Admin

I have it Dloaded but all 3 servers are full. Once a spot opens I'll jump in and test it out.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2005 3:35 pm 
Sock Puppet

Dragon Fire wrote:
"Its a trap!"
Damn straight. Looks like someone say the commercials for Battlefront II that say five times in a row, "Sequel to the best-selling Star Wars game of all time". SOE likes big numbers, not quality. They're going to milk this baby all the way to its eventual crash-landing. And when that happens, they'll still try to pass it off as the most epic MMO ever, and refer to it afterwards as one of the industry's greatest accomplishments. Running a game into the ground and screwing every single one of their customers? Definately something only SOE would be proud of.

Official Avian Mascot - Sock Puppet
Board of Directors - Ex-Chairman

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2005 3:48 pm 
Site Admin

I have been watching videos and looking at screenshots today and this seriously looks like a console game now. They have completely streamlined every aspect of the game. They have removed anything that makes one player stand out from another.

They really are making 'Jedi Wars' for twitch PVP. A combo of SOCOM, CounterStrike and KotOR2 and SW Battlefront.

I'll test it out of curiousity but I can almost guarantee I will not pay to play it.

...I agree 100% with you Orbital (looks up to make sure hell -ie Chicago- has not frozen over).

Last edited by iJasonT on Sat Nov 05, 2005 4:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2005 4:34 pm 
Site Admin

well I got in.
I did the tutorial, which has Han Solo and Chewy in it and they talk which is kinda cool.

But...of course the Tutorial is bugged! I cannot get out. There is a work around posted but I logged out before seeing it and now the server is full and I cannot get back in.

Glad to see that the very first thing a new player sees is a bug. this way they are building their expectations in the right direction.

oh and having done the tutorial the UI is an FPS. Point, click hold mouse, release when dead.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2005 4:42 pm 

iJasonT wrote:
NotOR2
- Heh, Americans can't spell :P

iJasonT wrote:
(looks up to make sure hell -ie Chicago- has not frozen over)
- Cracks me up

BTW what does UI mean? Never got that one before.

Anyhow, if it says that the player no longer can be an individual, then why would you call it a RPG? If you can't stand out then you're just another puppet in a game.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2005 4:45 pm 
Site Admin

Azzameen85 wrote:
iJasonT wrote:
NotOR2
- Heh, Americans can't spell :P

wow! :oops:

Azzameen85 wrote:
BTW what does UI mean? Never got that one before.

User Interface

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2005 5:30 pm 

Thx. Sorry about the spelling thing

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2005 12:53 am 
Spammer

iJasonT wrote:
But...of course the Tutorial is bugged! I cannot get out. There is a work around posted but I logged out before seeing it and now the server is full and I cannot get back in.

a BUG ? what's a bug ? never seen one in SWG !

/sigh
"They never learn"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2005 3:11 am 
Sock Puppet

I made the following post on a Lord of the Rings Online fan-site forum, in a thread pertaining to how one defines their characters, makes them unique, and how the new SWG patch is screwing 'that' out of the game. The references to 'morale' are in regard to LOTRO's recent dev diary revealing a very interesting 'replacement' for the entire idea of 'hit points'. You can read that here.

Quote:
I was a Star Wars Galaxies beta-tester. I loved the game back then. When they announced the launch date though, every single beta tester cried foul. It was a great game, or so we thought - our judgement was partially blindsided by the fact that we didn't have to pay for the game at that point. But we all knew there was no way in hell that it was ready to cross that threshold.

Your Morale and confidence in Sony Online Entertainment is reduced by 50%.

It became abundantly obvious in the next few months that numbers were sole desire of the 'powers that be' behind the game. I didn't play more than 3 months. This was largely attributed to not only the poor gameplay and bland-as-shit world at the time, but to their utter lack of commitment to their customers. So your guildmate has been stuck in your Guild Hall basement for a week, and no GM has bothered to answer the ticket? So your house was deleted with all your posessions because you went on vacation; even though maintenance was paid for... so what?

Your Morale and confidence in Sony Online Entertainment is reduced 75% more, and your subscription is cancelled without regret.

This update proves their lust for success at the cost of quality even more. They take away everything players have worked for for the last two years. They do this right after a new expansion is released. We've been boned another $50, and had we known about this one week prior, we may not have bought it. This update may well improve the gameplay and the 'fun' associated with combat. But does it improve the game? All of the sudden, players are bereft of a great deal of social mechanisms and again, what they've worked toward for months.

However, this improvement to gameplay is even more telling about SOE. It says that they too have been watching the ads on TV about how Star Wars Battlegrounds II is the "sequel to the best-selling Star Wars game ever" - which doesn't tell us of the game's poor gameplay and lack of anything that might make a decent piece of entertainment, but I digress - SOE is interested in numbers. Big ones. So they recreate their own trophy MMO to be more streamlined. To have the action found in Battlegrounds, and the simplicity that makes World of Warcraft attractive to a very broad audience of gamers (that let Blizzard reach out of the finite audience of MMORPG gamers).

To avoid making this post 5 pages longer, I'll forego any comment on the horrible implications this update has on the Star Wars canon. I have one word for people who don't understand this: "Jedi". Anyone remember back before SWG was released how vehemently the developers cried to the heavens that the SW continuity must be upheld? F***ing laughable. Those devs are real comedians.

I play World of Warcraft myself. It's the only MMO that I've ever hit the max level in. That tells me that the gameplay is quite good, or at least well-balanced, considering the type of player I am. But it's still very simplistic, where the intellectual and interesting social interactions (which is what once was at the heart of the "MMO" concept) are user-created. This was also the case in SWG - most of the content and fun to be had in beta and post-launch was created by the paying customer. The difference I see between the two is the richness of the world, and perhaps the lore. I've never been a great fan of Star Wars lore. The original trilogy of course is, as they say, "where it's at", but everything that Lucas has given his license to since - the "expanded universe" of spin-offs and literature published by fans that are not George Lucas - it's all destroyed the Star Wars universe, or at least made it rather uninhabitable for someone accustomed to the qualities that make Middle-earth the least bit favorable. If you follow me.

Warcraft's lore though is tiring as well. It's 'high' fantasy. The lore could easily pass as a campaign setting for Dungeons & Dragons. When the LOTRO devs are asked what makes their game unique, and they reply by saying "Middle-earth" - they're right. Even if they don't provide a wealth of tools for RPers to use, which would be unfortunate, it's written into the fabric of the canon... that alone greatly lends itself to intellectual and interesting social interaction within the world. Turbine would have to royally screw themselves in the ear and do a job worthy of Sony Online Entertainment to take that out of the game, I think.

Official Avian Mascot - Sock Puppet
Board of Directors - Ex-Chairman

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2005 8:37 pm 
Site Admin

I got a chance to play a bit more today. A patch came in and fixed a few bugs.

The tutorial leads seamlessly into a 'starter' space station which has noobie quests and such. The storylines all but rock and the seamless combination of space and ground finally tie the two together.

I played a bit and actually liked the classes although I really didn't get far. This game is now a hybrid MMO/FPS it is an interesting concept I must admit.

However...

There are many many issues to deal with. The UI is a bit clunky, targeting sucks and Im just not sure about the FPS part.

My main issue is targetting. I have no issue with FPS style combat but it is very hard to track your target especially the small or the flying mobs. If someone crosses infront of you you loose your crosshairs and do not gain them back till your LOS is regained. It needs detail work and details are not SOEs good side.

All in all. I would say this is an excellent expansion. The integration of story lines and quest driven grinds are much more immersive. If this was in at day one we would have a whole different MMO on our hands. The stories are just great.

That said. I seriously doubt I'll play this game. I'll keep an open mind and keep checking on the progress of beta but I just cannot see it getting beyond just 'better'.

They are now under the gun to release this new version as people will stop playing their Live toons now becuase really, what is the point if it is all going away?

They will go live with many issues and bugs and that will be sad but anything less than expected. In the end I did my part. I submitted many many bugs and put my 2cents in. That is all I can do.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2005 7:50 pm 
Site Admin

This is going live tomorrow!

Well glad that they had plenty of testing time to you know, umm I don't know...fix all the conversion bugs that the boards are screaming about.

It's kinda funny though. While people are bitching they have all just resolved themselves to the fact that this is the game and the game will do what the game will do.

oh well...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2005 9:54 pm 
Spammer

I canceled my all access pass. I'm a bit dillusioned with MMO's atm and will probably not play another unless a large group on the boards get involved with one.