Avian Gamers Network

Forum
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:32 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 11:18 pm 
Site Admin

Quote:
Greetings Everyone,

Hope this letter finds you all well. Here we are roughly three months after unveiling some significant changes to Star Wars Galaxies geared towards delivering the ultimate immersive Star Wars experience. Though not all elements of the new direction were welcomed by all players with open arms, we still see that the majority (~80%) of players still in the game were playing before the changes were unveiled and implemented. We also continue to have more and more players enter the galaxy daily through the demo, almost 200,000 players to date.

First, we'd like to thank everyone who has been posting their feedback and that we want to keep hearing from you in an effort to improve the game experience. We appreciate your passion and your involvement in the community. Towards the end of last year, the team made many of the changes, adjustments, and fixes you were asking for and we're going to continue to try and do this in an effort to improve Galaxies for current players as well as new players.

Refining, Fixing, & Improving The Existing Game

Our number-one priority is on improving the existing game. We are dedicating significant development resources to polish the existing experience. One of the biggest facets the new game enhancements got knocked for was that many elements were broken. Quests would break halfway-through or not trigger at all, quest NPC's and enemies wouldn't be where they were supposed-to, as well as other issues that literally made portions of the game unplayable or simply not fun to play. Our main goal of this top priority is to fix all existing issues to the highest standard of quality, not just-enough to where they are playable. There are a lot of annoying bugs out there and we want to knock ‘em out for good!

One of the key efforts of our focus on existing game improvement will be to give all publishes extensive time on Test Center so that you all can have time to evaluate and share your feedback with us so we can make any necessary adjustments before we push them to the live game.

We certainly want to see as many new features and improvements to Galaxies as possible, but we're focusing on the quality over the quantity of features going-forward. As we mentioned, this will also include addressing the issues that already exist in the game. O ur approach is to make sure that as much attention is paid to addressing bugs as is to implementing new features. This approach will also affect the frequency of publishes this year. However, this does not mean we have reduced efforts to fix bugs and issues via hotfixes. We are confident our approach in terms of frequency of publishes will allow us to deliver better, cleaner, and more fun Star Wars content. The end result is that everything new and that is fixed in the game is going to undergo a lot more scrutiny, both internally and from the community. We know this will result in a much higher-quality experience for everyone.

As I mentioned, our goals aren't limited to refining and fixing the existing game. In an effort to improve it as well, we are focusing heavily on giving players the opportunity to differentiate themselves within their chosen profession from others within the same profession. The first you will see of these efforts is in tomorrow's Publish 27 in which we are introducing new abilities to the Jedi profession. We plan to do the same for all nine of our iconic professions across the board. In addition to adding new abilities, we eventually will be introducing new skills for each profession to give players further opportunity to differentiate themselves. Look for information on these skills to be popping-up on the boards in the coming months. Remember, your feedback on these abilities and skills is essential to their successful implementation.

Increasing Interaction With Community

Community is an important part of the Star Wars Galaxies experience – it is as important as the game's design itself. We're going to be listening to your feedback and posting much more about the issues and features that are important to everyone. Moving forward we will make sure we have a much stronger dev presence on the boards. Though we may not always be posting, we are always listening.

As part of this effort, we'll be posting more details about upcoming features on the forums so we can get your feedback before any of these features are set in stone. We'll start by posting information, publishing the features to Test Center , and getting your feedback on how each of these features plays. We will then be able to more effectively polish the overall experience before anything makes it to the live game.

As all things develop, we'll be letting everyone know what's going on with more frequent letters from the producers and other members of the development team in addition to our more frequent interaction with you all on the boards.

Until next time – may the Force be with you!
Julio Torres, Producer – LucasArts

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 11:18 pm 
Site Admin

Quote:
Hello!

My name is Grant McDaniel, though many of you may know me as “Rogue_5”. I was recently Producer for the Star Wars Galaxies Trials of Obi-Wan expansion, and now I am the Producer for SWG. I have been part of the SWG development team since almost the very beginning back in February 2002.

All along I have been an avid, some may even say extreme, Star Wars fan and collector since the very first film was introduced. I have collected thousands of various Star Wars items and memorabilia including such things as toys, books, replicas, and autographs, and I often spend my free time tracking down unique and rare items for my personal collection.

The best part of being such a devoted Star Wars fan is getting to work on a Star Wars game. There is no other job I could think of that would allow me to indulge my passion and get paid for it. I recognize the strength that this franchise has in terms of fans worldwide and I respect the core values inherent in the brand. For that reason, I am proud to be on the development team and excited about leading the SOE development team into the future.

Going forward, our overall goal this year is to continue to improve our game by focusing on adding content that offers players the best interactive entertainment experience available online today. We are lucky as we already have the greatest entertainment brand to build content around – Star Wars .

To make that goal a reality we will continue to develop compelling Star Wars style adventure content that brings the excitement of the movies alive through in-game missions and story-driven adventures. Additionally, we will be working to further differentiate each of our nine iconic Star Wars professions in the upcoming live publishes. We will start by giving them new abilities and skills, and then access to new things that make each of them unique. Improving our communication is going to be a critical part of achieving this goal. We recognize that our success is determined in large part by our ability to listen to players, ask for feedback, initiate research and stay true to the brand. We want your continued support. Your input is critical to our process and we will continue to bounce ideas off the community, put new content on our Test Centers and probe for your ideas. Together we can take this game to the next level of excitement.

We know we have to earn your loyalty. To that end, this year you will see an increased focus on quality first and a passion for introducing content that brings iconic Star Wars conflicts and characters alive in-game. Like you, we love this brand because of the classic Star Wars adventures it brings to life – Jedi fighting with Lightsabers and Force powers; Bounty Hunters battling with blasters; Commandos and Officers leading raids, Smugglers and Traders offering valuable resources, Spies leading us behind enemy lines and Medics keeping us safe and putting us back in the action or Entertainers engaging us with their artistry. Let's not forget the fun we have in space with the best space combat in the galaxy while dog-fighting in legendary ships like the X-wing, TIE fighter and Millennium Falcon. There is no other Star Wars game that let's players take up residence in the Star Wars universe and play an active role in the ongoing battle between the Empire and the Rebels. This year, our commitment to you is to bring back the spirit of Star Wars with more focus on the “wars”, the characters, the adventures, and battles that hearken back to the movie adventures. We have a lot of fun planned, a lot of quality improvement, and a lot of bug fixing – so get ready for an exciting year that will remind you of why you love SWG .

Feel free to, drop me a line from time to time and let me know how we are doing. I look forward to hearing from you on our boards, the Stratics chats (hint: you might want to tune in to the one coming up this month for some news about an upcoming publish!), and meeting some of you at upcoming events (look for announcements coming soon about the Dev team hitting the road and going on some real-life galactic adventures). Stay with us and keep giving us the benefit of your insights. I look forward to a great year at the helm of a truly great game. The movies may be over but the adventure continues right here!

May the Force be with you!
Grant “Rogue_5” McDaniel, Producer – SOE

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 11:20 pm 
Site Admin

both are vague and fully of empty promises. Note the 'New' abilities to Jedi (how are they new? They where in before NGE.) Also note the 'commitment to improving community'. Don't they 'promise' more communication every few months? They even start 'Dev Blogs', hire Tiggs (and fire Tiggs) and all sorts of crap.

grrrr.

I haven't given them any money for over 5 months and I -still- feel like Im getting screwed over.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 12:32 am 
Spammer

Pissed me off just reading that too Moge.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 7:50 am 
Spammer

It never ceases to amaze me how many words they can use to say absolutely nothing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 8:53 am 
Spammer

Tiggs got fired? Why?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 9:45 am 
Spammer

Looks like Smed tossed his two cents in. You may want to check it out.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 10:28 am 
Spammer

Angus MacGregor wrote:
Where?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 10:30 am 
Spammer

Cetera wrote:
Angus MacGregor wrote:
Where?

Where do you think? Must I do all the work for you lazy slobs? :P

http://forums.station.sony.com/swg/board/message?board.id=swggpdiscussion&message.id=487970#M487970

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 1:26 pm 
Spammer

thanks for the link but the overlords of dumb here at work block that site. :(

Anyone bored that wants to post it here so I can read it? Otherwise, i'll see it tonight...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 1:29 pm 
Spammer

Ask and ye shall receive.

Quote:
Hello Everyone,

I've been reading the threads about the producer's letters.. and it's obvious you're looking for a lot more detailed information. So we're going to give it to you. The format of this will be an update of what we plan to do for the next 6 months at a high level.. on a publish by publish basis. There will be a lot less information about the stuff that's further out and more details the closer we get to today. This will be a living document that we need to keep updated. You can reasonably expect this to change over time.. and you can expect that this won't contain every single thing we're working on... only the big ticket stuff. You can also expect that we're going to very, very agressively attack the bug database in each and every publish and hotfix.

It's important that if we're going to lay out this kind of a plan, that you be as understanding as possible when things change. Sometimes we may push something from one publish to another for logistics or resource reasons... but overall we're going to give you a lot more info about what we're working towards so you can understand it and comment on it. Doing something like this can be dangerous - if we put Entertainers in one patch and Creature Handling into another.. one group or the other will likely be upset... so all we ask is that you understand that we're working very hard towards making the game better.

You can expect this publish plan by the end of the week.

Thanks

Smed

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 1:48 pm 
Spammer

Thanks, Angus.

About the only thing that would get me back would be SWG2...and I doubt I would play it until at least 6 months post release if at all if it was done by SOE again.

The per server user counts thread and the fact that they've got to be on life support from pre-paid accounts sums it up for me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 3:13 pm 
Spammer

When an appendage doesn't have enough nerves/artery/vein tissue to support itself, doctors tend amputate the limb.

Someone call the doctor, it's needed over at SOE!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 3:49 pm 
Site Admin

The thing I hate the most is how the direction for the game is governed by data they pull from the game…. However they do not step away and look at the reasons the data is the way it is.

For example:
Christmas many years back, Holocron says something to the effect: “So many players are trying to become Jedi… the Jedi path must be what players want.” NO IT WAS NOT. At the time the only challenge thanks to the lack of content was unlocking your FS character, so even people who never wanted to be Jedi were hologrinding because it was the only challenge at the time.

The data mislead the developers into think players wanted more Jedi.

Another example is the extinction of the crafters. The developers looked at the data and saw that so many players were choosing combat over non-combat and assumed that we needed more shoot-um-up play and less crafting. “Combat must be what players want” NO IT WAS NOT. At the time if you wanted any kind of fun you had to ditch your worthless merchant skills and try out some CGW action.

Again the data mislead the developers into thinking the players wanted less complex crafting and more dumb down nintindo-ish combat.

The problem is the SOE mentality that says, “Players really don’t know what they want.” I saw that statement time and again from Koester and company. So they pull data from the game and assume we want things we are not asking for, or assume that we really don’t want things we ARE asking for. For these assumptions I hope SOE goes out of business. Their gaming arrogance has gone too far, and newcomers to the market like Blizzard are kicking SOEs ass in the very genera SOE should have an upper hand in.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 5:05 pm 
Spammer

Angus MacGregor wrote:
Cetera wrote:
Angus MacGregor wrote:
Where?

Where do you think? Must I do all the work for you lazy slobs? :P

http://forums.station.sony.com/swg/board/message?board.id=swggpdiscussion&message.id=487970#M487970

Thanks, Angus. I never go over there if I can help it, and I never want to go digging for a link. I appreciate it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 5:29 pm 
Spammer

Cyrus, I think you may have hit the nail on the head there...great comments.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 8:57 pm 

Cyrus Rex wrote:
At the time the only challenge thanks to the lack of content was unlocking your FS character, so even people who never wanted to be Jedi were hologrinding because it was the only challenge at the time.

I agree, you hit this dead on. I had freinds who seemed driven mad by the addiction to get FS unlocked. It seemed the only major challenge to do lol. I myself never wanted jedi when i started playing this game. I enjoyed just 'living in the world' part of it. I enjoyed hunting and gathering resources to sell and setting up my own house and of course grouping with freinds to do events and adventures. I didnt want to 'grind' away all my game time searching for holo drops and mastering profs that i had no interest in..ie my rl brother who on his second or third holo had to master dancer. He basically said screw that and lost interest in the game. I didnt want to fall into that rut. It wasnt until i had 'played the game out' after almost a year and a half, I said to myself, ok now what do i do? A buddy said, hey lets try to get jedi now! By this time i said sure, why not. That kept me in game longer and gave me the challenges to continue. I remember Krynn trying to get jedi at that time and then bailed on me :P ...but did come back and mel came to visit us at the same time hehe

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 10:18 pm 
Spammer

Erime S'erolf wrote:
Cyrus Rex wrote:
At the time the only challenge thanks to the lack of content was unlocking your FS character, so even people who never wanted to be Jedi were hologrinding because it was the only challenge at the time.

I agree, you hit this dead on. I had freinds who seemed driven mad by the addiction to get FS unlocked. It seemed the only major challenge to do lol. I myself never wanted jedi when i started playing this game. I enjoyed just 'living in the world' part of it. I enjoyed hunting and gathering resources to sell and setting up my own house and of course grouping with freinds to do events and adventures. I didnt want to 'grind' away all my game time searching for holo drops and mastering profs that i had no interest in..ie my rl brother who on his second or third holo had to master dancer. He basically said screw that and lost interest in the game. I didnt want to fall into that rut. It wasnt until i had 'played the game out' after almost a year and a half, I said to myself, ok now what do i do? A buddy said, hey lets try to get jedi now! By this time i said sure, why not. That kept me in game longer and gave me the challenges to continue. I remember Krynn trying to get jedi at that time and then bailed on me :P ...but did come back and mel came to visit us at the same time hehe

Bailed? Naw I was just lettin ya catch up to me! :P But yeah, that Mel killin night was fun, but few and far between were the fun days of getting, and playing jedi.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 6:17 am 

Though I'm not too familiar with the game Cyrus, it seems you've got some valid points. My question is why don't you expand on that and make it some sort of a petition? If the developers see your arguments and see people agreeing with you, maybe they will wake up? That aside, do you think the game is worth playing in its current state? I'd love to play a Star Wars mmorpg but i hear this one has been ruined.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 6:48 am 
Spammer

Glew try the fileplanet 10day trial. I think most of us are in the they never really had much of a game to begin with, but for some reason we still had fun, and then they really screwed up the game.

Former Head of Department of the Treasury
-------
Ask not what your PA can do for you, but what you can do for your PA
"Gone Section Five"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 8:07 am 

I'm installing the trial as I type this. My name in the game might be Glew but it might not, I'm such a Star Wars nerd that I might have to go with a star wars name ha, ill be sure to let you know. How can I reach you guys in the game?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 8:12 am 
Spammer

Glew wrote:
Though I'm not too familiar with the game Cyrus, it seems you've got some valid points. My question is why don't you expand on that and make it some sort of a petition? If the developers see your arguments and see people agreeing with you, maybe they will wake up? That aside, do you think the game is worth playing in its current state? I'd love to play a Star Wars mmorpg but i hear this one has been ruined.

Ah, the newbie naivete. That post is precious. Welcome to the forums, man!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 8:52 am 

Cetera wrote:
Glew wrote:

Ha, it's not that I don't see how futile doing something like that would be, but I still think it would be more effective than just telling them their game sucks like everyone is doing. A more mature logical approach might have a better chance at actually having an impact on the situation. Upset gamers on the forums is one thing, a set of collected arguments and data is definitley another. Anyways, thanks for welcoming me!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 9:14 am 

Glew wrote:
I still think it would be more effective than just telling them their game sucks like everyone is doing.

There has been plenty of action here Glew, it's not that we just tell them their game sucks. Think of it this way, the SWG players of old had tried seemingly EVERY angle to try to get the developers to realize what's wrong with their game. They don't care, they never cared, and they treat the community like a bunch of teenagers who are spending daddy's money and shouldn't have an opinion. Every time they came out with info it was covered in a cloud of mystery, usually never got to the point, and MAYBE had one tiny bit of truth snuck in their.

I guess you could say their philosphy might be "It's nothing personal, just business...".

Anyhow, it's a revamped game from what most of us remember, so if you love star wars you'll find enjoyment in the 10-day trial, just for the scenery if nothing else. Who knows, you may like it, it may be just what your looking for in it's current state.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 9:17 am 
Spammer

Glew wrote:
Cetera wrote:
Glew wrote:

Ha, it's not that I don't see how futile doing something like that would be, but I still think it would be more effective than just telling them their game sucks like everyone is doing. A more mature logical approach might have a better chance at actually having an impact on the situation. Upset gamers on the forums is one thing, a set of collected arguments and data is definitley another. Anyways, thanks for welcoming me!

we were very active during the pre-beta stages when they still had a vision. Step by Step we saw many of the game features that we loved being pulled from the system and ultimately they released the product well before it was ready. We just might be a little bit jaded. i know i personally spent more time pre-game on the forums than I did while i paid. I think I laste a little more than a year and cut my losses. :D

in the end, we had many well thought/posted responses, but they fell on deaf ears.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 10:37 am 
Spammer

Not to mention getting deleted outright for being "critical" of the devs/game. When it comes to interacting with SOE, the only maturity is on our side. And if you've ever been around lots of two-year-olds, you'll come to understand the maturity level of SOE, and you can picture how the "mature" interactions might go.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 11:06 am 
Spammer

Yep, deaf ears, blah blah... all has been sid above. I make it a point to check all games that I buy now for any indication of SOE having a hand in it. If so, then it becomes a rental/demo before actually slapping down the cash.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 9:31 am 

Ok, I admit it. I am playing SWG again.

I kinda just look at it as a differnt game with the same name, and its not as bad.

I got sick of getting owned in Eve and decided to give it one more chance.

There are some interesting things that have been found by players as of late.

Did anyone else know that the planet Mustafar is acutually Dathomir?? The EMU devs have found a "secret" planet that was encoded on Dathomir PreCU. There are certain places you can go on Mustafar and hit the map button and a map of Dathomir will show up with the name and all.

Maybe part of the reason they never listened to us is they planed on a NGE from PreCU.

I will say its not as fun as PreCu or even CU, but it kills the time and I am not having to play 8 hours a day. It seems much less addictive.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 9:34 am 
Spammer

What happened to you in Eve?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 9:41 am 

dbakke wrote:
What happened to you in Eve?

The Corp I was in was stationed in 0.0 space. I lost like 7 Ravens and that was enough. They were in too many wars. If you have been in game 6 months or less and then try and fight guys who have been in 2 years or more, you will know what I mean. Plus there is no way to really catch up. You will always be years behind.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 10:31 am 
Spammer

lakini81 wrote:

I kinda just look at it as a differnt game with the same name, and its not as bad.

Did anyone else know that the planet Mustafar is acutually Dathomir?? The EMU devs have found a "secret" planet that was encoded on Dathomir PreCU. There are certain places you can go on Mustafar and hit the map button and a map of Dathomir will show up with the name and all.

Maybe part of the reason they never listened to us is they planed on a NGE from PreCU.

I will say its not as fun as PreCu or even CU, but it kills the time and I am not having to play 8 hours a day. It seems much less addictive.

What the hell? For real? Does Mustafar have the same layout as Dath?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 10:45 am 
Site Admin

No it doesn't. One was probably just used as a foundation to build up the other. Doesn't mean anything, just some legacy data floating around most likely.

Also, there have been terrain maps available since beta for other planets that have never been used. There is no great conspiracy surrounding most of what goes on, just changes in plans and priorities.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 6:22 pm 
Site Admin

What is crafting like now?

This guild started wanting to be a crafting superpower.... but SOE forced us to become jedi. In the years 2001-2003 Jedi were to be extreamly few, crafters were to be many. SOE did a complete 180 in that reguard. Last time I looked everyone was a Jedi, and noone was much of a crafter... and that was a couple years before the CU/NGE hit the game.

Bottom line, SWG over the last couple of years is not even close to the game they set out to make.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2006 7:14 am 

Cetera wrote:
lakini81 wrote:

What the hell? For real? Does Mustafar have the same layout as Dath?

If you ever go into an instance like HK, you can take a skiff and go off the edge of the map at a "lava fall" and you will see dathomir. This is where you can hit the map button and see it. Also the mining center is at the same location of where one of the outposts is on dathomir.

Like I said before, when the EMU devs dismanted some of the PreCU packets, they are finding parts of Mustafar in them.