PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2006 11:07 am 

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2006/02/ ... 5511.shtml

http://www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm?load ... 0223100715

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2006 1:10 pm 
Spammer

Good quote from the article:

SWG Article by William Vitka wrote:
A bug is a defect in the code of a program. That is a basic definition. I prefer Ben Silverman's translation: "a bug is the crap that was supposed to be fixed before they sold you the game and ruined your day."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2006 2:01 pm 
n00b 4 3v3r

Nice article there. I agree with Rocky's quote selection above too!

Pathfinder Kingmaker Campaign:
Gednan Malithanar - Wizard (1)
Dukin Thunderstrike - Ranger (1)

Star Citizen: - https://www.robertsspaceindustries.com/
AntanKarmola on their forums

Star Wars: The Old Republic: - Not really playing
Antare Karmola - Jedi Guardian (32)
Antan Karmola - Jedi Shadow (21)
Arianae Karmola - Gunslinger (20)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2006 2:33 pm 

Anyone knows what the focus testing is about?

Although I do know that is is apperantly limited to the Califonian gamers. LA; SF and so on.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2006 3:48 pm 
Site Admin

both excellent articles.
Looks like L.A. did have their hand in the cookie jar a bit. Even with all of that you still cannot let SOE off the hook, if for just the 3 years of a bug ridden game.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2006 9:22 pm 

iJasonT wrote:
both excellent articles.
Looks like L.A. did have their hand in the cookie jar a bit. Even with all of that you still cannot let SOE off the hook, if for just the 3 years of a bug ridden game.

This might seem like some conspiracy, but with LArts making no comments all the time, make you think of two possibilities.

1: LArts is afraid of what they have done and doesn't want more dirt on their hands.

2: LArts is (hopefully) thinking of a way to kick SOE's butt, for misuse and exploitation of the licence...

If there are any more ideas I would love to see them. Think of it as a way to get some steam out and dream at the same time :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2006 9:34 pm 
Spammer

I hope #2.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2006 3:10 pm 
n00b 4 3v3r

Sometimes you just have a policy of making no comments other than the official press announcements, regardless of a good or bad situation, it's probably just company policy.

Pathfinder Kingmaker Campaign:
Gednan Malithanar - Wizard (1)
Dukin Thunderstrike - Ranger (1)

Star Citizen: - https://www.robertsspaceindustries.com/
AntanKarmola on their forums

Star Wars: The Old Republic: - Not really playing
Antare Karmola - Jedi Guardian (32)
Antan Karmola - Jedi Shadow (21)
Arianae Karmola - Gunslinger (20)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2006 5:17 pm 

X2-PB wrote:
Sometimes you just have a policy of making no comments other than the official press announcements, regardless of a good or bad situation, it's probably just company policy.

either way, this whole issue with swg has become some great drama. should we be expecting the movie soon :P

Star Wars Galaxies: A Game Divided

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2006 6:08 pm 

Erime S'erolf wrote:
X2-PB wrote:

either way, this whole issue with swg has become some great drama. should we be expecting the movie soon :P

Star Wars Galaxies: A Game Divided

I'd love to see someone make an independent film documentary, pure Sundance material, about online gamers and the connections they have to their virtual homes and friends, and how people react to situations like SWG's.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2006 8:01 pm 
Site Admin

Washington Post

Article from the Post on the NGE

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2006 8:53 pm 

iJasonT wrote:
Washington Post

Article from the Post on the NGE

At some point of the article it seems to me that the writer is blaming WoW because Star Wars lost alot of subscripers to the more easy game, so SOE decided that SW:G should be as easy as well...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2006 3:47 pm 

I've been following the latest rumor mill for a source of twisted entertainment (and hope). People have been throwing around the rumors of Bioware taking on the SW license from SOE. Last week, Bioware posted this, announcing a new studio in Austin, TX and the employment of 2 SOE executives.

http://www.bioware.com/bioware_info/pre ... 15_Austin/

From MMORPG.com's forums, some people with "inside sources" (which have actually proved acurate in the past after months of the poster beinf flamed), that they set up in Austin to employ SWG programmers so they would not have to relocate. Reason being LA has pulled the license from SOE and handed it to Bioware to develop SWG. It would be Pre-CU oriented and built from that code. (maybe that's why SOE was so vehement about saying they could not roll back, as they didn't own the code anymore). It wouldn't be SWG2, but more like SWG 1.75.

As with all rumors, take it with a grain of salt. But I like to keep my ear to the grindstone and a bit of hope. If it is true, I hope Bioware knows what they're getting into making a deal with LA like that.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2006 3:55 pm 
Spammer

Given that they've dealt with LA before in making KotoR, I would be fairly confident Bioware knows what it is doing.

This reminds me tho, time to send in a new resume to them...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2006 3:59 pm 
Site Admin

if that where true I can tell you that I would most definately re-up my account! Oh how one can wish!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2006 4:06 pm 
Site Admin

Please tell me you don't believe that!
Bioware having made a SW game or two in the past and hiring ex-SWG execs (whose experience goes far beyond SWG) is hardly any basis to believe Bioware are taking over SWG.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2006 4:06 pm 
Spammer

Tetran wrote:
But I like to keep my ear to the grindstone

?!?? OUCH.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2006 4:10 pm 

Obo, when it comes to SWG, I don't believe anything (from Devs, SOE, or otherwise) until I see it. The only reason I look at things like this is because history has proven time and time again many of the "rumors" SOE constantly denied, turned out to be true. Consider this "for entertainment use only", like Ms Cleo's Physic Hotline. :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2006 4:18 pm 
Site Admin

it's not about believing for me. It's more about -wanting- to believe. Anything that could give SWG another glimmer of hope and life is something that will always peak my interest.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2006 4:26 pm 
Site Admin

"Let go Luke...."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2006 4:37 pm 
Site Admin

Obo wrote:
"Let go Luke...."

"NNNNNNnnnnnnnnoooooooooooooooo"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2006 5:47 pm 
Site Admin

I let SWG go a long long time ago.... I probably wouldn’t bother playing it even if it were fixed. To me it is dated, and for it to even come close to the type of fun factor WoW provides would necessitate SWG undergoing a massive content effort.

The game started out missing too much. It started without quests, without droids, without GCW conflict. SOE arrogance is what I blame. About the only thing SWG did right was the character creation.

For me, SWG dropped the ball on its little 5 year shelf life. Time to start from scratch and give consumers another product. I don’t want to buy in to a game that was still broke year 4 of a 5 year shelf life.

But I love reading this stuff, keep them coming!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2006 11:48 pm 
Spammer

Cyrus Rex wrote:
SOE arrogance is what I blame.

Arrogance ? I rather blame LucasArt arrogance. And SoE incompetence.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2006 10:46 am 
Site Admin

Koester is the one that did not believe in quests and game provided content. He wrote pages and pages of his thoughts regarding content in a MMO. If I remember correctly he though it should be mostly player created... yet he failed to give players the tools to make good meaningful content.

WoW kicks SWGs ass on many fronts, but the most glaring is the fact that WoW put together a FUN quest system that gives the game overwhelming content… SWG only started putting in similar content a few years into its life cycle once WoW was released and proved Koester wrong in so many ways.

So when I say SoE arrogance, I realize I do not know the Devs as well and Obo and others. LA may be at fault as well. All I know is Koester said “No content”, and he worked for SoE.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:33 pm 
Site Admin

Okay, here's one for you
http://www.kotaku.com/gaming/sony/shake ... 162338.php

The only reason I'm linking that, is because it seems that Raph has actually left SOE, although I'm still waiting to see final, final confirmation myself.

And Cyrus you have to take into consideration two main things on your points there. WoW had way more money spent on it in order to get in all that quest content. And the systems Raph wanted to have in to fill that void never made it in, although off of the top of my head I can't remember the reason for that but was more than likely another victim that lead to SWG being a lame duck before it even got off the ground, it was pushed out too early.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2006 5:39 pm 
Spammer

Obo wrote:
And Cyrus you have to take into consideration two main things on your points there. WoW had way more money spent on it in order to get in all that quest content. And the systems Raph wanted to have in to fill that void never made it in, although off of the top of my head I can't remember the reason for that but was more than likely another victim that lead to SWG being a lame duck before it even got off the ground, it was pushed out too early.

That's what I remember, too. Raph delivered his last message, which was basically "The PTB had a meeting, we're releasing next month, all the cool content systems we designed aren't going in yet, and we haven't tested enough... but stick with us and we'll try our best not to let the ship sink."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:42 pm 
Spammer

bigyak wrote:
That's what I remember, too. Raph delivered his last message, which was basically "The PTB had a meeting, we're releasing next month, all the cool content systems we designed aren't going in yet, and we haven't tested enough... but stick with us and we'll try our best not to let the ship sink."

Bloop, bloop, baahhllloooooooP!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2006 4:04 am 
Site Admin

Obo wrote:
although I'm still waiting to see final, final confirmation myself.

Conrifmed from various sources, including Smed...
Quote:
1) Yes Raph is leaving SOE. It's not some big dramatic thing - it's simple.. he's at the end of his contract with SOE and he wants to try some new things that realistically we can't do here at SOE right now. The truth is Raph is an incredibly talented and amazingly creative person and he has 1000 great ideas. He's done some great things in this industry and I know he'll continue to do great things. Raph's been with SOE for 5 years. I've enjoyed working with him a lot and he's made some great contributions. At the end of the day we have a finite amount of resources and projects that we can have in development at any one time. He wants to try some new stuff that we can't do at this stage.. we have a lot of things we are trying to do as a company right now. I'm always surprised by the amount of rampant speculation that goes on about stuff like this.

2) No - in fact LucasArts isn't "pulling the Star Wars" license or anything of the kind. We have a very long term deal and things are fine between our companies. It's complete and utter fabrication. I feel like we need extra-special tin-foil hats in the shape of Darth Vader's mask or something. What happens is one website writes something - then 5 more link to it.. so it must all of a sudden be true. I wish it worked that way.

Smed

They were never really a great fit anyway imo, Raph and SOE. And a Star Wars game should probably never have been a Raph Koster game in the first place, square pegs and round holes. Ah well, move on, live and learn.
I just hope he goes somewhere that lets him actually put his ideas into practice.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2006 8:48 am 
Spammer

I wish SWG didn't suck so bad

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2006 4:11 pm 

It's sad that they will keep the IP. But it's even more sad that it takes that "one web page being linked to more webpages" to get them to actually speak up and let people know what's going on.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2006 10:51 am 
Site Admin

http://www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm?loadNews=4855

LucasArts officially denies the SOE split

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2006 12:23 pm 
Site Admin

BLAH BLAH BLAH. just posting for posting sake.

Quote:
Several websites are passing along spurious internet rumors regarding Star Wars Galaxies. Rest assured, these rumors are completely untrue.

LucasArts and SOE have no plans to “sunset” Star Wars Galaxies. The two companies will continue to work together as partners in making Star Wars Galaxies the ultimate online Star Wars experience. As has been announced several times previously, LucasArts and SOE are 100% committed and determined to continue to support Star Wars Galaxies together, especially with our renewed focus on improving the game for existing players through robust publish and content offerings in 2006. On our forums, we have shared early plans for game updates through Publish 34.

Additionally, LucasArts and SOE will be hitting the road this April and visiting several cities across the US with a series of Community Summits in an open “town hall” format where players can meet face-to-face with development team members, ask their questions, voice their concerns, as well as meet and hang out with fellow Star Wars Galaxies players.

Julio Torres, Producer - LucasArts

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2006 12:30 pm 
Spammer

Quote:
Additionally, LucasArts and SOE will be hitting the road this April and visiting several cities across the US with a series of Community Summits in an open “town hall” format where players can meet face-to-face with development team members, ask their questions, voice their concerns, as well as meet and hang out with fellow Star Wars Galaxies players.

That's cool. Maybe the developers can meet every last player left. :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2006 1:23 pm 

Rocklar wrote:
Quote:

My guess is that wouldn't be very hard at all ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:05 pm 

Aranarth wrote:
Rocklar wrote:
Quote:

My guess is that wouldn't be very hard at all ;)

Not really...they would have to finish the 'hanging out' with thier current player base by 9 PM so that these players can wake up on time the next morning to catch the school bus to the local elementary :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2006 6:30 pm 
Spammer

Rocklar wrote:
Quote:

Yeah. My understanding is they will start on April 3rd, and finish meeting every current player in the game by April 11th. (The only reason it will take that long is because all of the Developers will be taking their Vacations from April 4th through April 10th)

DDO - Cannith - AlistairItor - Rogue/Ranger (5/3) - Main
DDO - Cannith - Guijanitor - Paladin/Rogue (4/1)
DDO - Cannith - RicochetItor - Rogue (5)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2006 2:37 am 
Spammer

Rocklar wrote:
Quote:

I hope they will hire a good security staff...Things might go rough