Avian Gamers Network

Forum
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:52 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Return of the Jedi
PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2007 12:45 pm 

A couple weeks back an announcement was made of a 21 day free play period for SWG vets out of game at least 90 days. SWG is still installed in my old computer (now in my kid's room) and so I popped in to look around. I collected my 4 year vet rewards, but other than that I was pretty much lost once inside. I went to buy a gun for my old BH but didnt even know what I was looking for.

Within the game I discovered there is some new stuff!...added back in lol, some additions and revamps to theme parks and mobs, abandoned player cities wiped clean, some 'twisted form' of new CH system ala WoW hunter class rip off that ANYONE can pick up regardless of prof. A new buffing system seems to have made cantina's a little busy again. When asked what buff I wanted, I didnt know what exactly I needed, but they sure did sound alot like WoW stat buffs to me lol I also discovered that a mass invasion of credit spammers has decended like a plague and makes standing around major starports unbearable (something WoW controls fairly well and SWG is going to have to wrestle with for now).

Our old chilly was still pretty much the barren lonely world tho for this old vet. A couple of other old freinds popped in briefly to check their houses/belongings like me, but as long as NGE is still around, its just not going to be anything other a once original vivrant and living world turned into a low quality silly beta WoW wannabee graveyard for the kiddies to play in :roll:

http://www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm/setV ... ticle/8507

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2007 2:32 pm 
Spammer

/Sappy

Whether you think of it as Frodo's shoulder, damaged by the Nazgul's blade, Rand's never-fully-healed wound from an early battle with the Chosen or Harry's ever-present lightning-bolt scar, what SWG could have been, but isn't, will always haunt us.

/endSappy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2007 11:35 pm 

Atleast I'm still keeping my hopes up for the Emu-server. BTW Tetran, do you have any news on that front?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 2:11 pm 

Azzameen85 wrote:
Atleast I'm still keeping my hopes up for the Emu-server. BTW Tetran, do you have any news on that front?

Ill just pop in here and answer, sorry if I steal any of your thunder Tetran :)

My 15 year old follows this faithfully. He was hoping for a working beta this summer. It never happened.

We continue to wait, and the longer we wait, the more folks just float away.

So even if we get one in a couple of months, will there be enough interest to have viable communities on servers once again?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2007 8:12 am 

Aranarth wrote:
Azzameen85 wrote:

Ill just pop in here and answer, sorry if I steal any of your thunder Tetran :)

My 15 year old follows this faithfully. He was hoping for a working beta this summer. It never happened.

We continue to wait, and the longer we wait, the more folks just float away.

So even if we get one in a couple of months, will there be enough interest to have viable communities on servers once again?

It's possible...

Thinking that it is only the most stubborn who frequent the forums. Once it is out that they can begin beta or actual play alot of those who are in the perephilia will rush in as well...

I'm sure that once you/your son, Tetran or I tell y'all on these forums that the open beta is up atleast 15 to 20 will rush in. The rest will still wait untill news has come in that it is good enough.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 6:58 pm 

Azzameen85 wrote:

the interest is waining from a lot of the communities, this is true. But that's a given. In the beginning it was "put as much eye candy in these videos... it's progress! It wasn't until much later when people started to realize the life of it is the server side and getting clustering working. That was a whole new world since most people working on it were packet sniffers and not actual programmers.

So now you have the SWGemu team chugging away and making great progress on the server side. It's not eye candy, or "sexy" stuff so people yawn. ANH is another team working privately and steadily. It's a different group all together, much more mature. They've claimed to make large development strides but have nothing more than videos from a static server. Until they put up a public test server, it's vaporware.

I'm trying to get a little SWGemu gathering together this sunday at 7:00PM EST for the eXile community. Kind of a meet the devs/corros night. The plan is we'll log in, and one of the devs will warp us somewhere new and private where others can't. Maybe some new things will pop up :)

So, it's development is going along, just slowly, but necessary. I wouldn't expect a live game until end of the year. But you never know. Things just come together sometimes and leaps and bounds are made.