Avian Gamers Network

Forum
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:36 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: SWGEmu FAQ
PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 5:44 pm 
Spammer

A big Thank you to Tetran for providing us with this FAQ.

SWGEmu FAQ

Question: What is SWG Emu?
Answer: SWGEmu is a project aimed at emulating the official Star Wars Galaxies Pre-Combat Upgrade servers. Over the last 2.5 years we have researched and documented the protocol used between the SWG client and the Live Server. By doing this we were able to build our own server daemon from the ground up, which allows those that miss the old SWG the most, to enjoy the experience with other veterans once again. Every single line of code in our software has been written by the development team, on their own free time, with absolutely no corporate funding.
From SWGEmu.com’s FAQ

There are a couple of other teams creating emulations of pre-CU SWG as well. They are “A New Hope” (www.swganh.com) and a handful of other teams that haven’t produced anything significant.

Q: How do I play it?
A: Currently, only SWGEmu.com offers a public test server. Since it is an active test server, normal downtime rules and bugs are to be expected. The development teams require you to own a retail copy of the original SWG game. Any edition of it will work. The next step is downloading the Launch Pad Enhanced application. This is a revised SWG client that will connect you to the SWGEmu Test Server and patch you up to the required level, which at this time is 14. Additional info for the installation can be found here. If you are a current subscriber to the live SWG game run by SOE, this will not affect your access; you can still play.

Once you’re connected, you may have difficulty “Connecting to Server”. Just “back” and try again. It usually connects after a couple of attempts. This is a known bug that’s being worked on.

Q: Is it free?
A: Yes. It would be illegal to charge for access to play. If anyone does attempt to charge for access they can expect to be shut down soon. 2.5 years ago or so, the original SWGEmu team had a meeting with SOE and Lucas Arts representatives to discuss this project as it has created quite a following. Though the details of the conversation have not been released to the public per their agreement, the gist of it is the project can go forward providing no fees are charged and people stop spamming the SOE forums with Emu propaganda.

Q: What is the current state of the SWGEmu project?
A: The development is still going on. In the last few months, the project has returned to open source status and the development team has added more staff. Considerable progress is made weekly now, and they are hoping for an end of summer beta release.

Status updates can be found at the SWGEmu.com Updates forum. This section does not require a forum account to view.

Q: Is this going to be pure pre-CU?
A: That depends on what you mean by pre-CU. The game changed a lot from publish 1 to 14. There is no static pre-CU state. Expect some tweaks made to the game in an effort to balance classes better. There are new races being added to the game, new planets, craftable items, and more. However these additions and changes will be made on a server level. Different communities running servers will decide for themselves what to change.

Q: Will JTL be part of the emulator?
A: Yes, but not at initial release. The teams on concentrating on getting the ground game working first. JTL is working in a very limited basis, so it will be possible.

DDO - Cannith - AlistairItor - Rogue/Ranger (5/3) - Main
DDO - Cannith - Guijanitor - Paladin/Rogue (4/1)
DDO - Cannith - RicochetItor - Rogue (5)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 8:51 pm 

Thanks.

I did notice I left out a sensitive topid. Jedi.

How will you get a jedi character?

That's going to be dependent upon the server you play on. As of now, the options exist for having players complete the hologrind, perform the village, selectable from the get-go, or create an all new, unknown system which most seem to support. Skill loss, perma-death, etc, are all also up to the community you play on.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 9:36 pm 
Spammer

Oh dear. This is scary.... I almost let myself get excited about this. Had to put the brakes on before it became actual "hope."

"Perhaps the sentiments contained in the following pages, are not yet sufficiently fashionable to procure them general favor; a long habit of not thinking a thing wrong, gives it a superficial appearance of being right, and raises at first a formidable outcry in defence of custom. But the tumult soon subsides." - Thomas Paine, Common Sense

Last edited by Talon1977 on Fri Jun 20, 2008 10:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 10:21 pm 

It is scary...
I can actually try SWG as you did those many years ago.
I've never tried pre CU. Actually I've only played the last publish prior to NGE, and many of you had pretty much left SWG for WoW...

Now if we could get a FAQ for how to install, in simple step by step engilsh
I would really appreciate it.

Might be able to borrow the school network from 7:00 PM to 10:00 PM brazillian time. (GMT -3)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 8:26 am 

It looks like my hyperlinks didn't make it over.

This is all you need to install:

http://swgemu.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2553.

Download Launchpad Enhanced.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 10:02 am 
Spammer

Thanks for the FAQ Tetran. I am incredibly excited about the possibilities this emu has. Could be something that would bring many interested Avians back gaming together in the SW universe on a regular basis.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 10:06 am 
Spammer

Tetran wrote:
It looks like my hyperlinks didn't make it over.

This is all you need to install:

http://swgemu.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2553.

Download Launchpad Enhanced.

Yeah. Sorry about that. I'll fix that tonight.

DDO - Cannith - AlistairItor - Rogue/Ranger (5/3) - Main
DDO - Cannith - Guijanitor - Paladin/Rogue (4/1)
DDO - Cannith - RicochetItor - Rogue (5)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2008 5:21 pm 
Spammer

What if I can't find the damn disks anymore? Any way to still play it?

"Perhaps the sentiments contained in the following pages, are not yet sufficiently fashionable to procure them general favor; a long habit of not thinking a thing wrong, gives it a superficial appearance of being right, and raises at first a formidable outcry in defence of custom. But the tumult soon subsides." - Thomas Paine, Common Sense

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 9:40 am 

So is this worth firing up? Is there anyway the Guild could be helpfull in chasing bugs or whatever?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 5:36 pm 

Aranarth wrote:
So is this worth firing up? Is there anyway the Guild could be helpfull in chasing bugs or whatever?

We could be very useful in testing the caves. The biggest problem with the TC server is it's mostly just people logging in to "play" and then get on the forums and say "is it done yet? when will it be done?!" Hardly anyone outside of staff is testing.

We've been doing some spelunking lately and I'd love to get a group of Avians together who'd be interested. Here's a link with some testing guidelines that will be helpful. Just let me know when you'd be interested in going! All the caves are in (some are still locked like the DWB, Geo caves but are close). Some caves are buggy as all get out like the Drall cave, but still fun and good for some laughs.

http://swgemu.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11783

Quote:
OK guys, just an update on the bugs you are posting.

Loot is random right now, so probability takes priority over anything looted. You could loot nothing 10x in a row, then loot 10 +25 AAs, its completely random (factor in creature level for the loot that drops, and its stats).

Ranged mobs will do more damage than melee mobs, but have less HAM. Its a trade off between damage and HAM.

It seems a lot of you are not understanding that you are Masters of multiple professions, and some of you have quite incredible weapons.

Anyone truly interested I have some recommendations:
1. Make 3 characters (with the appropriate skills and equipment);

a. A low level (aka noob)

b. A mid level (aka grinding)

c. A high level (aka endgame/pvp template)

2. Run through each of the dungeons with each type of character, and give feedback on the following areas.

a. Creature damage

b. Creature HAM (aka how hard it was to kill)

1. Overall difficulty based on the prior two areas.

c. Creature names

d. What states you are afflicted with while fighting said creatures.(aka stun/dizzy/kd)

3. Feedback should be in comparison to Pre-CU difficulties that you can remember or have read about. Please reference what you are comparing against if you can, or in the least, mention what it is you are comparing to
(ie. DONT SAY: the mobs in the tusken fort were way too easy for my master swordsman master brawler with a 600dmg 2spd mind DOT scythe, it wasn't like that pre-CU).
Any feedback can be submitted based upon these suggestions or in a format that includes all of them in a summary.

4. Please include what skills/weapons/armor the character you are testing with used in each report.

Thanks so much for all the time spent helping out.

Keep up the good work.

Also Crafting is being rolled out and that needs testing too. You can craft a rifle now and subcomponents. Things like resource usage in the crafting stages, experimentation, etc.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 7:26 pm 
Spammer

Once i get my SWG disks back when I go home at the end of the summer and head back to school [Aug 20th or so] I would be interested in testing the caves and what not...I never got out too much back in SWG..mainly just trips around looking for stuff and exploring with the occasional geo raid or other stuff with the group.

Another random question how often are they wiping the server during testing? I know they have blue frogs and what not up but just wondering how often wipes are...

Former Head of Department of the Treasury
-------
Ask not what your PA can do for you, but what you can do for your PA
"Gone Section Five"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 10:39 pm 

No set time for wipes, but often enough so don't worry about hording items and resources. All that stuff is/will be available from the blue frogs/jawas/gungans running around. But surveying works great and you can go out and hand sample if you need more. Even instruments. We like to finish off a good cave run by either dropping our skills and grabbing master entertainer profs or loading a master ent toon and hanging out in a cantina for some band action.

I think we'll be seeing architect soon. A little bird told me a house was placed on one of the private servers we use for testing that are more up to date than the public TC server.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 4:12 pm 

OK my 16 year old is the expert on getting EMU's to run on our machines, Ill have the discussion with him and get back to you.

he is anxious as well to play so I am surprised he hasn't done anything with this.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 1:37 pm 

Aranarth wrote:
OK my 16 year old is the expert on getting EMU's to run on our machines, Ill have the discussion with him and get back to you.

he is anxious as well to play so I am surprised he hasn't done anything with this.

Any luck with your youngling?

Post subject: Re: SWGEmu FAQ
PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2010 11:04 am 

Is anyone still doing this? On a lark I decided to reload and check it out over the weekend, and I was amazed at the progress being made.

Im already working on my Pistoleer and my Artisan.

Very fun so far. Still things that need to be worked on. Still bugs and glitches, but the progress over the last year or so has been quite impressive.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 7:01 pm 

Just checked som youtube vids and screenshot here and there...

I decided to look at their site and I do find it amusing that the guides for a wondows installation doesn't say much. Pretty much 'nada'.

However the linux guide is quite thoughrough, which is good for the Linux users around here... (presuming both deb-type and rtm-type are supported)...

Anyway I was wondering wether or not anyone knows if the Launchpad enhanced has been updated or if there are something that should taken into consideration like patches and such...

/Azz <---(That's my nick in case someone is offended)

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 3:42 pm 

Was gonna give it a try but I can't find disk1of3 and it won't recognize the beta disks :?

WoW - Fire Mage - RETIRED | SWG - Weaponsmith - RETIRED
MMOGGLER™ for online gamers

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 8:12 pm 
Spammer

Deak Almar wrote:
Was gonna give it a try but I can't find disk1of3 and it won't recognize the beta disks :?

:?

-------
"Gone Section Five"

Last edited by Dragon Fire on Wed Sep 15, 2010 3:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 1:06 pm 

SWGEMU had the OR code on Nova for several hhours yesterday for stress testing.

It was nice to see spawns that don't yo-yo all over god's creation ;)

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2010 3:20 pm 
Spammer

Whats the status of the OR changes? I took a glance at the forums and it looks like it's almost up to Pre JTLS lvl with most things, some prof etc... not implemented.

-------
"Gone Section Five"

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 9:19 pm 

Its now officially deployed, and TC Nova is now a test center with the blue frogs. I haven't had a lot of time to play lately but so far what they have is fairly impressive, especially performance wise. They still have a lot of work to do but it was a significant jump forward IMHO.

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 11:11 pm 

Azzameen85 wrote:
It is scary...
I can actually try SWG as you did those many years ago.
I've never tried pre CU. Actually I've only played the last publish prior to NGE, and many of you had pretty much left SWG for WoW...

Now if we could get a FAQ for how to install, in simple step by step engilsh
I would really appreciate it.

Might be able to borrow the school network from 7:00 PM to 10:00 PM brazillian time. (GMT -3)

As I asked for earlier and as Tetran provided back then a FAQ has come up.

The old link doesn't seem valid anymore.

I found this.
http://www.swgemu.com/forums/content.php?r=179-Install-SWGEmu

I still have my discs in good condition.