Avian Gamers Network

Forum
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:57 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 2:54 pm 
Spammer

Ok, so I posted something similar in the Member forums a while ago, however in-case some of you didn't notice it there, or some of our regular visitors might be interested:

They have had a 14-Day trial in place for a while now, and it is still going on. Not sure when they will stop offering it, but my understanding is that it will be soon. Probably before they release the Hoth content.

So what would you be getting into?
Remnants of the Old Avian:
You will most likely find you Houses packed up in your datapad, as the House Pack-up event hit our city pretty hard. When I got in-game I found my houses, as well as the PA Hall, packed up in my datapad. (was actually on the wrong character so I thought I'd lost it all) The same goes for your Harvesters and Factories. It seems that there is no active mayor there, so unless someone who still has a house in the city starts running for mayor don't expect to be able to drop your house back down there.

Game Playability:
Although the NGE is still in effect they have made many improvements to it, and are still doing so. The actual playability of the game has gotten much better. The Auto-Attack of yesterday is gone, and will be missed by many, but it was a bad crutch IMO. Many changes will be a surprise, such as you are no longer able to add anyone to Harvester Admin, so only the Owner of the Harvester is able to maintain and operate the Harvester. The benefit is a huge reduction in Harvester Fields. Since many were in place using lots of cancelled accounts, the sheer number of Harvesters in the game has actually reduced. The biggest negative impact on the game right now is Server Population. The current Dev team supposedly has a plan in place to address this, however they have been fairly tightlipped about it.

Account Issues:
So previously the 14-Day trials were not working very well. Many people were unable to access the trial through some of their accounts. That seems to be resolved this time around. The only people who are not eligible for the trial this time around are accounts that had previously been banned.
As far as people forgetting their Account information, or no longer using their old Email account, there are a number of remedies for that. First, if you no longer have the email account, but you did set up a Secret Question on your account, you can still get into the account to change the email address.
If you never set your Question, or if you did set it but forgot it, and you remember your old email account but just don't have it active anymore, you should be able to get a CSR to reset the password for you on the account. I had 3 accounts, and actually had a different problem with each, but was able to eventually get all three to the point I could use the trial on them, and have my Main account activated. I will probably activate a second account shortly.

Good Oportunities:
So, if you are interested in trying out the game again, things to look forward to in the future. They are making a very nice effort to update content and Professions by working with the Correspondents to identify key issues, and addressing those issues in turn through their current content release process. There have been a good many changes in the past, and the next content release after HOTH will be addressing Player Cities and Guilds.
Speaking of HOTH, this is the Big Thing coming in the near future. They haven't release the date of this yet, however it looks to be coming fairly soon. They are only releasing bits of information, however it does look to be an exciting addition to the game. I expect they will have the Free Trial end about a month or so before HOTH is released.
They do plan on addressing the Server Population issue soon. My bet would be they will do this right before they do the HOTH roll-out, so that whatever method they put in place to do this will be in full force before HOTH is added. My best bet on this is some kind of Server Merger. But everyone is just guessing at this point, as the Devs have been quiet about this other than ruling out a few possibilities.

Where should I go?:
So, if you plan on coming back to the game for just the Trial, or for a more extended amount of time, you will likely have a problem when it comes to setting down roots. Where do you go since there's nobody left in our city on Tatooine to allow you to drop your house there? Where do you go where you have the best chance in finding like minded friends playing the game for the short-term, or maybe longer?
Well, you are definitely welcome in Tsarin, TCO's city on Talus. Currently we have 8 to 10 people playing, some sporadically, some quite a bit. We have a pretty cool set-up, as we have a mayor in place, and some good quality Crafting Stations set up. We're in the middle of revitalizing the Server, and they are welcoming quality gamers with Open Arms right now. Avian's should have no problem finding a spot to lay down a house without having to worry about joining TCO. Non-Avians would have to joing TCO before planting a house, but heck, what better bunch of guys to join up with, other than Avian.

So, if you have an old account and you want to reactivate it or try the trial, or if you don't have an account but you are interested in giving it a try, come on over to Tsarin on Talus, Chilastra Server, and join in the fun.

And if you need help grinding up a Crafter, or Questing a Combatant, let us know. We've got both going on, and I for one am acquiring a large amount of Grinding materials at the moment.

DDO - Cannith - AlistairItor - Rogue/Ranger (5/3) - Main
DDO - Cannith - Guijanitor - Paladin/Rogue (4/1)
DDO - Cannith - RicochetItor - Rogue (5)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 9:04 am 

If you're all going to be active and would be interested in reviving Tusken's Bane as a second city, I can talk to the Mayor. It should be Jaiir and I keep in touch with him. I could come up with a compelling arguement to let someone else take the reigns.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 10:26 am 
Spammer

That's a good option to keep open.

Right now I don't have a character that I can spare to lay down a residence there, however if we do start getting Avian's back in-game we can definitely look at reviving Tusken's Bane.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 10:56 am 

Well I am considering installing SWG on my laptop. If I am lucky I can hook it up on the school network and check it out...

I'll have more info tomorrow. But I have to mention that I'll have serious lag problems (1100-2000 ms), since I am on Greenland so for me the game might only be a big consuming chat program.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 12:10 pm 
Spammer

Azzameen85 wrote:
Well I am considering installing SWG on my laptop. If I am lucky I can hook it up on the school network and check it out...

I'll have more info tomorrow. But I have to mention that I'll have serious lag problems (1100-2000 ms), since I am on Greenland so for me the game might only be a big consuming chat program.

Then I would advise against playing the Card Game or using the integrated web browser while you are in-game. Those are real hogs.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 10:40 am 

Master Gui-Jan wrote:
Azzameen85 wrote:

Then I would advise against playing the Card Game or using the integrated web browser while you are in-game. Those are real hogs.

Thx...

So question:
Shouold I just install my SWG:The Total Experience and download everything, update etc. and just fire up my old account?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 10:45 am 
Spammer

Yep. The 14-Days starts from when you first log into the game.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 1:15 pm 

Launchpad up. After Install not much of download...

I only remeber the e-mail adress, but I was such a fool not to re-activate it before I requested the username... so I can't do that for the next 24 hours...

Forgot bot username and password...

I know I set a secret question...

Chose forgot password and wrote my Avian username (since it is the most likely. but during processing it more or less stopped...
waiting untill something comes up...

Clicked "My Account" and pressed "Forgot username"... same result as before...

Pressing "forgot password".. requires username... testing with "azzameen85", same result as before, wait 24 hours...

Making a new temp account...
Is that adviceable?

[Update] Can't log in. Probably because of the proxy server we're running through...
I'll make an attempt tomorrow or later tonight on another internet connection.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2008 9:36 pm 

got it up and running... 40-50 hours of downloading patches...

Starts with patch_16.tre btw...

[Update]
Presuming the connection is stable (running on a friends W-Lan through a directional antenna both ways) I should be done mondat morning 6 am locally (GMT -3:00) 30 hours.

Isn't there a place to download the patches directly? Because launchpad run on a steady stream (about 50 kbps and that is bits not byte)

[Update]
Found a site that covers most patches up til patch 25 or 26. I did see a hotfix 29..

It's here -> http://www.genmay.com/showthread.php?t=607639