Forum
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:53 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: The Galaxy Goes Dark
PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2011 1:48 am 

http://kotaku.com/5868648/goodbye-star-wars-galaxies

Quote:
Goodbye, Star Wars Galaxies
Tonight is the end of Star Wars Galaxies, once a crown jewel of Sony Online Entertainment's MMO portfolio. There is now less than an hour before the total shutdown of the eight-year-old MMO.

Right now, courtesy of Giant Bomb's live stream broadcast, we're seeing enormous deciduous trees growing in the Tatooine desert, and X-Wing fighters penetrating the Sarlacc Pit in a very suggestive way.

The overall purpose of the game's final night is to settle the question of who is in charge of the galaxy, through a gigantic PvP war. Control of each territory in the game is weighted; whichever faction controls the most territory will, ultimately, be declared the final winner of Star Wars Galaxies.

Giant Bomb's feed is coming in from Tatooine right now, where fireworks already are deploying, like they did at the end of Return of the Jedi. Feel free to remember the game in your own way. Here's mine.

After today, the Galaxy goes dark. For five days, anyway, until you get started in Star Wars: The Old Republic

[Update] We just saw an appearance of the ghost of Obi-Wan Kenobi. With nine minutes remaining, it seems SOE is letting everything go at once. There are enormous Stormtroopers and Lando Calrissians, too.

[Update] The game closed with a flurry of server messages: "Get on board the Falcon, kid," and "Goodbye Star Wars Galaxies." Star Wars Galaxies has now, officially, ended.

For whatever reason, I'm actually sad.

Post subject: Re: The Galaxy Goes Dark
PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2011 6:25 am 

/salute

A friend and I had a beer saying good bye to SW:G as a friend had passed away. We talked about it in the bar and compared with other MMO's we have played that are no longer among us...

Actually pretty fun looking at people who had odd expressions on their faces...

I'm gonna miss it.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2011 12:49 pm 
Spammer

I've been missing it for a while. I tried getting back into it for a little bit when Sony had their network taken down, and was giving everything away for free to everyone in an effort not to lose customers. I enjoyed it, but couldn't stay in it. It was too much work to get back into it, for a temporary fix since they'd already announced it would be shutting down. Plus, the world felt so empty. Obviously it feels empty without playing with you guys, but it felt pretty darn empty anyway. Lots and lots of buildings standing, but no one playing, no one logged on. Ghost towns everywhere.

I do miss the game. I like it a a lot. It was the first MMO I ever played, and I will definitely play the emulator if they ever get it finished and we can get a server going. I think it holds a fonder place in my heart in my memories than it truly would if we ever played it again. I'll always remember the times we had, even as we knew that the game couldn't last forever.

MMOs exist in a microcosm of life, and it is sad to see this one go. I will remember it fondly.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2011 1:41 am 
Spammer

Part of me says RIP....part of me wants to dig up the carcass and stab it repeatedly for past transgressions.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 12:42 pm 

http://kotaku.com/5869984/this-is-how-s ... /gallery/1

The constant hum through the end is kind of haunting.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 7:49 pm 
Spammer

http://www.pcgamer.com/2011/12/16/the-end-of-star-wars-galaxies/