Avian Gamers Network

Forum
It is currently Tue Apr 30, 2024 9:57 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: How Casual is EVE?
PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2006 3:20 pm 
Spammer

I'm still new and in the tutorial and suffer from the same effect that most people come across at this point in the game. The game seems darn complicated and you feel like you'll never understand the whole thing. Tie that into a lack of a consolidated knowledge base and (probably) some complicated systems in place. i'm sure I'll understand it all in time and you guys have been great with walk-throughs and help.

How friendly is this game to the casual gamer? Casual being, not too many times a week that you can sit down and play it out for many hours at a time (3 hours tops unless I want to go for broke on a lack of sleep). Probably 10 hours in total, but I have the ability to log in every day for short bursts.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2006 3:42 pm 

Extreamly casual friendly.

Provided you sign on enough to keep skills training.

Skills tick up weather you are online or not. So Casual gamers are not left behind. You just need to make sure you have a skill training that will last at least until you plan to be on next.

Stopping training on a skill an dswitching to another looses you nothing. Your progress in the skill you switched off from is saved. So make sure you train long skills in time you plan to be away.

-LA

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2006 4:07 pm 
Spammer

Aside from the leveling?

Does it take a large time requirement to be useful? I'm really looking to see what the downside is before dropping into it for good.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2006 4:22 pm 
Spammer

I don't think so...take mining for example. An extra miner is always useful. If you aren't mining, a decent hauler only costs a few hundred thousand ISK...can always use haulers.

When you aren't hauling during a mining session, you can be doing trade routes. With our corp tax, some of your profits should go to the corp...every little bit helps.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2006 4:24 pm 

Well a 14 day trial account is limited in it's usefulness.

But a player on a permanent account can be a useful hauler in a day. Actually a trail account can get into cruisers inside of a week if they concentrate their time on those skills.

I was in a Battlecruiser inside of a month (While also working up refining skills and supplemental mining skills) I was effective at mining in a few weeks. At 2 months now I am making over 10 million a week casually thru buy orders and refining.

EVE is very casual friendly.

-LA

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2006 9:24 pm 
Spammer

So there are no goals other than the ones you tell yourself ? That's what bothers me at the moment, I have no goal. In WoW you can say "I'll be 60" or "I'll kill Ragnaros", in SWG "I'll be a Master Jedi". Nothing of this here.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2006 10:45 pm 
Site Admin

Goals are pretty self made; I want to build X, or get Y ship. There are end goals but none are grindable in the way that Jedi Master or lvl 60 are.

That is really what I like. When I log in I say, what do I want to do rather than what do I need to do to catch up to everyone else.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2006 10:48 pm 
Site Admin

Yeah, it's not an 'on rails' game. Make your own goals.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2006 11:08 pm 
Spammer

iJasonT wrote:
That is really what I like. When I log in I say, what do I want to do rather than what do I need to do to catch up to everyone else.

I agree.

Though, I'd like to see group goals. like building Avian city in SWG...that was something.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2006 11:27 pm 

Arindel wrote:
iJasonT wrote:

I agree.

Though, I'd like to see group goals. like building Avian city in SWG...that was something.

Well so far no Avian city possible...but Avian station can happen. :)

-LA

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2006 11:28 pm 
Site Admin

agree, that's another cool thing.
It is a group effort to build larger ships. TCO is Corp Mining right now just to build one BattleShip a week.

Another long term goal of ours is to get a station for moon mining.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2006 11:30 pm 
Spammer

Yeah, the way I view it is something of 70/30. 70% of the time i work on whatever the heck I want to work on...like hauling, missions, etc...

30% of the time I do what the corp asks me to do so that we can eventually be able to build battleships for sale, or create our own station, etc...

This will fluctuate obviously, but its such a massive effort to build your own station that it'll take much much longer than it did to get a PA Hall in SWG...which is fine by me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2006 7:06 am 
Site Admin

My goals

1) Get Skills & Money for next best ship
2) Research info for ship after that, and cool equipment
3) Do some agent missions to finish tutorial (when not mining with Avian & TCO)

So far I have been mining with Avian and TCO each day. Great for goal #1 and #2, bad for #3

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2006 8:10 am 
Spammer

This has to be the most "casual gamer" friendly game I've ever seen.

How much more casual can you play when you spend four hours in-game doing some group mining, all while watching a couple of movies?

As far as goals are concerned... right now my goal is to buy the cruiser that I want and get it outfitted with drones and 4 mining laser II's. After that, I'll set a new goal to get another ship, etc... Once most of us graduate to ship that can do mining more efficiently, we can concentrate on corporate goals, like a moon mining rig.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2006 9:56 am 
Spammer

Cyrus Rex wrote:
My goals

1) Get Skills & Money for next best ship
2) Research info for ship after that, and cool equipment
3) Do some agent missions to finish tutorial (when not mining with Avian & TCO)

Fairly similar goals that I have too. Though, I'm trying to grind my way through the tutorial missions, but I think some more social activity would be beneficial.

Were you using the noob ship or did you upgrade?

Is there good stuff in the Mies-3 station? Worth making the trip or I should wait until I get a better ship?

I'll be going home for lunch to reset my training so I don't miss out on 4 hours of missed time (10-15 minutes from home to work:) ).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2006 10:08 am 
Spammer

Arindel wrote:
I'll be going home for lunch to reset my training so I don't miss out on 4 hours of missed time (10-15 minutes from home to work:) ).

Crap... you had to remind me. I forgot to set another skill to train this morning. I'm gonna lose out on about 6 hours.

Oh well. It's not like it'll kill me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2006 12:10 am 

One little thing I feel needs to be mentioned about corp tax-- I know this goes slightly off topic from where the thread has gone, but it bears mentioning.

Corp tax doesn't take a cut of market or escrow sales, and it doesn't take a cut of player trades (duh, but needs to be covered).

What it DOES take a cut of are bounties and monetary agent rewards that are greater than a certain amount. I'm not really sure what the exact number is, but it seems to be in the 20k range.

This means that a corporation making its money off taxing its members is making its money off their mission running, mainly. I think the tax takes a cut of player bounties as well, but I can't be certain as we haven't actually hunted any player bounties, yet (even if we did, right now we'd probably get spanked, heh).

As far as the original topic on casualness of EVE, yes, EVE can be very friendly to casual players. It CAN be very unfriendly as well--for instance, I believe that if your ship is docked at a player owned station when it is destroyed, your ship goes with it. So not playing enough when your character is in areas of the game which carry threats even when you're not online can be devastating.

On the other side of the coin, however, you don't ever have to play the game more than 2 minutes at a time if all you want to do is switch and train skills, and still advance just as much as someone actively playing. However, one thing that the player has advantage here is in money making. Even when you can create profitable buy and sell orders, you still have to play occasionally to keep them set up. So playing less means less money, which means you don't get the really good equipment as fast as the person playing regularly, etc etc.

Another thing people have expressed disappointment in the game over is the fact that a character really can't ever catch up to older characters, skill wise. Technically, that's true-- if someone is playing the game smart, it will be impossible to catch up to them. However, I currently have nearly twice as many skill points as one of our other members who has been playing the game 2 years as opposed to my 8 or 9 months. How do I have more than he does? The answer is that he played the game off and on during that period, and thus lost a lot of time that could have been spent training skills.

Also, the fact that you don't have the ability to catch up to someone who's got all the learning skills and has nice attribute implants doesn't mean as much when you realize that that person also has a wider RANGE of skills. If you set clear goals for your character, you can arrow your way to a VERY effective, if narrow, skill set within months-- to the point where you would even be quite effective at something as skill and experience intensive as PvP. To site another personal example, I only recently got the Battleship skill, despite many of the more recently joined players having acquired it weeks ago--the oldest character out of all of those was still months younger than my character. However, I did a lot of dabbling during my time in the game before we brought TCO in, tasting a bit of the game here, a bit more there. And after I was able to really afford new skills (IE. around the time i finally got a hauler and a couple giant secure containers), there was just so much I wanted to try that I tried a little of it all.

That has helped me with TCO-E since I've been able to cover some of the basic services the group has without requiring anyone to focus all their training on any one thing.

Although not being the first to get a battleship did sting a little ("What?! Your CEO can't even fly a battleship?!"), I was more than proud to be able to run the factory that produced it, even if I couldn't fly it or its ilk at the time (a situation now rectified, at least!).

Damn, it seems I'm incapable of posting a short post tonight, even when my message is "Corp tax only takes a cut from mission rewards and bounties." =)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2006 10:43 am 
Site Admin

Battleship??? I can barely use a Frigate! :?