PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2006 8:41 am 
Spammer

already thanked you.

it's a must have for traders.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2006 9:18 am 
Spammer

A couple of tips:

Use the in-game browser. Yes, it's a little slower, but the benefits are great. You can use the links on the page to set destinations, warp to, dock, etc... The links may just say the system name, but if you click on them, you'll see that they're actually for the station you have to go to. Plus, it eliminates the need for Alt+Tabbing, which runs the risk of locking up the game.

Use your alts if you want to do cross-region trading. Export data from multiple regions and use them to maximize your profit.

Look to see if there is a round-trip route! Sure, one leg may only make you a little money, but it's much better than flying back empty.

Learn to love same-system trades. Sure, it's less money per run, but you can do them much faster. Mo' Money!

Know when to leave your secure containers behind. Animals, people, and food items can't be put into containers in your hold. Don't drag your containers with you if you know you'll have to fly back and pick them up at another station later.

Export the data from as many trade goods items as you can. Sometimes, there is money to be made in transporting Janitors or holoreels!

Do your corp a favor, let them know what run you're on so you don't screw your buddy!!! I did this last night. I sold a load of holoreels at a station, which drove the selling price for them way down, just before another Avian was going to do the same thing. The result it, if he sold them there, he would have lost money. Not good. Maybe we should make an Avian Trade channel just for this kind of stuff?

Use the program Options! Make sure you enter your max cargo size and other info there. It customizes the missions for you, making sure you get the best profit for what you can carry in your ship.

And of course... use a hauler. It's not worth it to use any ship with a small cargo bay.

Anyone else have any useful tips?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2006 10:22 am 
Spammer

Angus MacGregor wrote:
Know when to leave your secure containers behind. Animals, people, and food items can't be put into containers in your hold. Don't drag your containers with you if you know you'll have to fly back and pick them up at another station later.

Can you store containers in your cargo hold that actually give you more space? Or are you just saying, they take up space and to maximize your storage, leave them behind if you know you will be getting them back later.
Angus MacGregor wrote:
Do your corp a favor, let them know what run you're on so you don't screw your buddy!!! I did this last night. I sold a load of holoreels at a station, which drove the selling price for them way down, just before another Avian was going to do the same thing. The result it, if he sold them there, he would have lost money. Not good. Maybe we should make an Avian Trade channel just for this kind of stuff?

I think I was involved in this as well.

Do you guys know the adjacent systems?
Good call on a trade channel or we could just use the Avian/TCO channel (unless you think it will get other people too interested in trading).

Do you think it would be worthwhile to create a library of insta's? As haulers are slow, this could actually save a fair bit of time. the only Issue i see with insta's is that it is direction specific. I set up one for Bille I and when I came at it from a different direction, i was 25km from the station.

How can we use each other to help everyone turn a bigger profit? not sure if it is possible as trading is a fairly solo activity.

Angus is KING for the week with this find...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2006 10:32 am 
Spammer

Arindel wrote:
Angus MacGregor wrote:

Can you store containers in your cargo hold that actually give you more space? Or are you just saying, they take up space and to maximize your storage, leave them behind if you know you will be getting them back later. Secure containers actually give you more cargo space. In my hauler, I have 3 huge secure containers. Each of them take up 3,000 m3 in my hold, but I can hold 3,900 m3 in each container. So basically, the containers give me an extra 2,700 m3 of cargo space. Since I can't put some trade items in a container, though, I have to leave them at a station when doing those runs.
Angus MacGregor wrote:

I think I was involved in this as well.

Do you guys know the adjacent systems?
Good call on a trade channel or we could just use the Avian/TCO channel (unless you think it will get other people too interested in trading). I was thinking of using a trade channel for the sole purpose of not crowding the Avian/TCO channel more than it already is. Besides, it would be hard to see any trade messages in that chat, since it could be bumped fast and no one would see it.

Do you think it would be worthwhile to create a library of insta's? As haulers are slow, this could actually save a fair bit of time. the only Issue i see with insta's is that it is direction specific. I set up one for Bille I and when I came at it from a different direction, i was 25km from the station. Set your station instas below and dead center of the station. That way, direction doesn't matter.

How can we use each other to help everyone turn a bigger profit? not sure if it is possible as trading is a fairly solo activity. If many of us use the program, the best we can do is just to try and stay out of each other's way, and make sure we don't make another Avian lose out on profits.

Angus is KING for the week with this find...Hail to the King, baby.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2006 12:05 pm 
Spammer

Very interesting.

Here's a screenshot from Sourceforge on it (at work now, can't play with it yet):

http://sourceforge.net/dbimage.php?id=54474

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2006 3:21 pm 
Site Admin

yep this rocks. HOWEVER, I got bit in the arse lastnight as all of Avian was on usin gthe tool and 3 of us showed up in the same system to sell the same thing and by the time i docked 2 others had sold and the buy price dropped below the sell price.

Ive moved an alt ot a close by region and check 3 regions before I move. FYI, if you see a fellow Avian in the area ask what he is selling, if your selling the same thing do a joint sell so you all get the high buy price.

excellent tool, probably the best ingame tool Ive used.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2006 3:25 pm 
Site Admin

I like the idea of a trade channel. Keeping the trading info in one place, not getting bumped away by the normal chatter.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2006 12:45 pm 
Spammer

Does the program send information to a central server?
It doesn't seem to keep all the information local.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2006 11:12 am 
Spammer

I've still been unable to get this program to work. It seems to run, and going to localhost:80 on an external browser works, but without actually being able to see any trade info. I can't get it to load at all on the in-game browser. Any suggestions?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2006 11:59 am 
Site Admin

On the IGB, try adding localhost to your trusted sites. I wouldn't be totally happy it runs a web server on your machine, but I supposed there ain't too much wrong with it.

To see trade data, you need to click the "Export to File" button on an individual item on the market window in the game. This then reads that file to look for the best routes from that data.

I haven't looked at it too closely to see what data is being pulled and from where, but I might have a closer look at some stage.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2006 1:33 pm 

It's stealing our brainwaves!!!!!

Ok....maybe someone else is stealing our brainwaves. But someone is definatly stealing our brainwaves.

If this guy is smart, and I think he prolly is, he will not have the exported information stored on your computer, he'll have it stored somewhere he can access and compile it.

Why? Because then he has everyone who is using his program doing the grunt work in all the various regions that he would need to compile a set of intra regional trade routes that he could make a bajillion isk off of.

All those players all over exporting files to his server...very nice.

Each day he wants to trade he just signs in and has up to date information on trade products all accross the galaxy at his fingertips.

If he is not doing this then he should. It's a great idea.

-LA

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2006 1:38 pm 

Cetera wrote:
I've still been unable to get this program to work. It seems to run, and going to localhost:80 on an external browser works, but without actually being able to see any trade info. I can't get it to load at all on the in-game browser. Any suggestions?

I have the exact same problem.

The readme.txt suggests changing the host to 8080 in some options file I can't manage to locate.

-LA

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2006 1:38 pm 
Spammer

That would be brilliant if it were true.

Kind of a win/win situation for all involved.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2006 1:46 pm 
Spammer

Arindel wrote:
Does the program send information to a central server?
It doesn't seem to keep all the information local.

Anyone else seeing this, 80.176.72.190:80...not my machine

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2006 2:50 pm 
Site Admin

There is a bit in the code that sends the data to this remote server http://80.176.72.190/ (which is a server running the program with up-to-date data) to compile all the data together. Just not 100% sure if it's working yet as intended (code is very betaish atm).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2006 2:55 pm 
Spammer

Obo wrote:
There is a bit in the code that sends the data to this remote server http://80.176.72.190/ (which is a server running the program with up-to-date data) to compile all the data together. Just not 100% sure if it's working yet as intended (code is very betaish atm).

Yeah, I thought I heard something about trying to make it where everyone can dump their data into a central location, then everyone could pretty much have access to current data in multiple regions. That would help soooooooooo much.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2006 3:12 pm 
Site Admin

I recently found a site that does collect data from all locations. Kinda like the old swgcraft.com.
Doesn't look widely used but if we all used it then that would be something atleast.
I'll try and find the link again.

Also, try http://localhost:80 or 8080. Someone got it to work by directly to that post within the URL.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2006 5:49 pm 
Spammer

LazyAmy wrote:
It's stealing our brainwaves!!!!!
If he is not doing this then he should. It's a great idea.

-LA

:) Yeah, we should definately do that... and charge 1Mil ISK to join the club. Or something... :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2006 7:00 pm 
Spammer

Yeah, I hit the export to a file button, and I run that program. It pulls up the webpage externally and internally at http://localhost:80, but it won't find anything. I get the Items, Options, and whatever the last link is at the top. That's it. On the external browser, I also get the options at the bottom for round trip and whatever the second one is. But there is never anything to select. It never comes up with anything. I'm not exactly certain what I'm doing wrong.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2006 7:03 pm 
Site Admin

Make sure it knows the right Eve install directory. The exported files are stored in the root of that.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2006 7:06 pm 
Site Admin

Just past the guy who made this at a Stargate :P.