Avian Gamers Network

Forum
It is currently Tue May 07, 2024 7:43 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 3:18 pm 
Site Admin

Ok figured it was time to write up a new guide.

All the information is easily available on the eve-online forums.

NPC Damage:
Each type of NPC does different damage types to you ship. They also take different types of damage. Some NPCs do EM/Thermal and take Thermal/Explosive. Meaning, the missles and gus they use put out either EM or Thermal damage so a ship with EM and Thermal shield or armor hardeners will tank better against these NPCs. The same for the damage they take. If they take Thermal/Explosive damage then you will want tofit missles and guns that do these damage types.

Check your weapon damage type:
Click my info on a missle or ammo type and scroll down in the attributes window. Look for numbers next to damage types. Example: Small Iradium Shells to 4HP Kinetic 3HP Thermal damage so these would be good to use against Gurista Rats as they take Kinetic, Thermal and Explosive damage.

Tanking:
It is not enough to have a Shield Booster and expect to live in lvl II and III missions. Tanking is a huge subject but I'll cover the most basic of info quickly.

Taking Damage:
The first thing you need to know is what damage the NPC will be doing on you. Looking at the chart you can easily see who does what and you can adjust your loadout for it.

Armor or Shield Tank:
Which do you fly? Some ships are better at Armor Tanking, some at Shield Tanking. Im not an expert in this but I know that Caldari are typically known as the best shield tanking ships ingame. Look in the 'Ships' Forum on eve-online and look for your ship and see the sample loadouts. If they have more shield boosters, extenders and hardeners then they are sheild tanks, if not then they are probably Armor tanks.

Passive or Active Tank?
There are two types of tanks. A passive tank; which usually loads out so they have a huge initial shield or armor rating with no way to 'boost' or recharge it with equipment. Active Tanks usually have a lower total shield or armor number but rely of boosters and rechargers to continually replenish them.

Again, not every ship canbe passive and not every ship should be active. A Ferox, for example makes a good passive shield tank.

Passive Tank:
If your ship has, say 1000 Shield and you want to passive tank then you want to get that 1000 up much higher. Shield Extenders can raise your shield and armor 1500 points each or more depending on your ship type. Hardeners allow you to adsorb more of a specific damage type (invulnerability hardeners raise all damage type resists). So if you are going against Guristas you would want to put 1 Kinetic and 1 Thermal Hardener on your ship and 1 or 2 shield extenders.

Active Tanking:
Its all about the recharge baby. The more your recharge the long you live. I guess the most important thing that an active ship tank needs is capacitor. Since you will be running boosters, rechargers a lot and they take a lot of cap to run it is obvious that if you run out of cap you die.

So along with a good booster and maybe a few hardeners or extenders you should also have a nice cap recharge device or even a Nosferatu device that sucks cap from an enemy ship and places it in your ship, these take a high slot to use but are a common item that many players cannot survive (litrally) without.

Stratagy:
Obviously, the longer you stay away from the enemy the long you can live. As you gain mission lvls you cannot just warp in and blast away. You need tactics. If you guns or missles have a range of 40km then maybe warp in at 50km and look at the battlefield. Then pick your targets and go.

The whole idea is being able to take out the key damage dealers on the field so that the remaining fighters cannot outdamage your recharge rate on your shields or armor. Once you have achieved this you can go forward and pick off the remaining fighters with ease.

Conclusion:
Tanking is a much larger topic. It is also covered indepth in the in EON Mag issue II and...

I encourage everyone to start reading the boards more and more. All that I have learned was gathered from reading the boards during long flights or mining ops. Also, read through the market. Read the descriptions of equipment, devices and skills. The more you know the long your stay alive!

Damage Charts:

Code:
Faction Damage They Deal - Damage You Do to Them

Amarr- EM/Thermal - Thermal/Explosive

Angel/Domination/Gisti  - All - Kinetic/Explosive

Blood Raiders/Corpus/Dark Blood - EM/Thermal - Kinetic/Explosive

Caldari - Kinetic/Thermal - Kinetic/Thermal/Explosive

Guristas/Pith - Kinetic/Thermal - Kinetic/Thermal/Explosive

Khanid - EM/Thermal - Kinetic/Explosive

Mercenaries - All - Thermal/Explosive

Mordus - Kinetic/Thermal - Kinetic/Thermal/Explosive

Rogue Drones  - All - Thermal

Sanshas/Centi - EM/Thermal - Kinetic/Explosive

Serpentis/Core - Kinetic/Thermal - Thermal

Zazzamataz - All - Kinetic/Explosive

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 5:51 pm 
Spammer

Excellent. I was just starting to delve into some of this. I've refined a lot of extenders and hardners, not having had the skills to use them and therefore not overly concerned with what they did. I'll have to start working on some of those other skills, too, and refit my ships. Great post, Moge. I appreciate it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2006 7:56 am 
Spammer

One question...

Is all the information easily available on the eve-online forums?

:P