Avian Gamers Network

Forum
It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 7:02 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: My Life in 0.0
PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 5:15 am 
Site Admin

2 weeks ago I joined a small but seemingly well connected corp that lives deep in 0.0 space. They live under the protection of - but they are not a member of - the Dusk to Dawn alliance.

They live in the furthest North West corner of the map on a deadend system so they get very little pirate traffic so mining the 15 belts of Crokite is pretty peaceful - except for those 0.0 rats!

Torrenis (sp) is the closest empire port and that is 24 jumps all in 0.0 through 3 difference regions. When I prepped to move I knew I wasnt going to take my freighter but between moge and moniker I have 7 ships to transport and a ton of gear that I wanted to bring.

With my limited time in game I just had Moniker pack all the ships and gear into her Freighter and made the 22 jumps from Aice to Torrenis while Moge took a shuttle. Once there I probably spent the better part of 2 days - 3-4 hours a day - just planning my move. What to bring, what to leave, went to go etc.

Torrenis (0.4) is clearly the last system before you hit 0.0 space. It was like a boom town. Tons of pilots, lots of clashes between warring alliances and prices on everything was inflated. It really was a neat place to be. Everyone was either in from 0.0 stocking up or just about to make the move for the first time.

I chose to only take Moges Domi battleship since that was the mining ship and have moniker scout ahead in a MWD frigate. I would do several runs back and forth the next would be for Monikers Itty V and a ton of gear.

My new Corp had given me instas for the 20+ jumps in 0.0 to their home so I was ready. Opening the map I noticed that the first few jumps would prove to be the hardest. Tons of ships had been destroyed in the very first system I had to pass through alone. This system acted as the gateway to 3 different 0.0 regions and is constantly gate camped.

Opening the 2 friendly channels I had for the regions I had to pass through I could keep an eye out for pirate spottings and re-plot my course as needed.

Sending Moniker into the first system was unnerving to say the least. But once I got their I realized that the gate camp that was set up was all friendly. It seems my new Corp has a friendly status with several alliances in the 2 regions I would be traveling. Since this gate was the primary enterance into those regions the alliances team up to try and hold a 10-15 ship camp at that gate during peak hours.

Moving Moge through the date with relative ease my 2 hour journey went by with little to no sightings. The few ships I did see were all friendly flagged and I even chatted with a few pilots in local chat.

--

arriving in my new home I opted to just buy a new Itty V and outfit it there as there was one for sale (at a much higher price) and this would allow me to start mining the crokite right away.

Moving Moge in his Domi to a belt I ran into a squad of Rats. Launching my Drones I prepaired to defend my position. Clearly, however, I was not ready for 0.0 rat hunting. Before I could turn around to run the rats had me and while my ship lasted 20+ jumps in 0.0 it didnt last 3 minutes in a belt. Moge went pop within 5 minutes of arriving at his new home.

buying a new domi this time I waited several days for my skills to advance so that I could properly tank. With my new skills and my new gear I set out to mine.

24million per hour is an excellent wage! While my Corp mates make nearly 35million an hour in their Barge V miners I am happy with my Battleship mining and tanking rats. The rats alone are between 200k and 1.4million each!

---

As I logged in this evening there was an urgent cry coming from local chat. It seems someone was out rat hunting and destroyed 2 Rat hauler ships. Each ship laid out 10 FULL loot containers. Full as in a full jet can! Each can help over 6 million units of tritanium!

With time ticking away before the cans went pop she was asking for all available haulers to help out.

6 people (all from different Corps and alliances) pitched in. Moniker ended up hauling 10 loads of 2million+ tritanium alone. All told we collected just over 100 million units. What was awesome was we all collected it and once it was all collected we all gave it to the person who made the kill. No one tried to gank any, everyone was just pitching in to help out a stranger in need. She ended up giving each person 9million units as a thank you.

--

Moge spend a few hours rat hunting and made 15million in bounties alone plus over 60 items of loot. He even popped 2 rat haulers that produced 6 million units of trit and 4 million units of pyrite!

--

All in all 0.0 is a tough place to live. You are constantly keeping an eye on local chat as well as the region info channel that the primary alliance has set up. If there is a possible pirate just a brief 'help' in that channel will bring anti-pirate hunters zooming your way. While they may not get there in time to save you rest asure that that pirate will not live long enough to enjoy his kill.

--

What struck me as funny is that I mentioned in local that I was going to head to empire space on Sunday to grab some needed gear (there are player 2 stations within 2 jumps of me after that the closest is 11 jumps). Within minutes of the casual mention I had players sending me shopping lists of stuff that they needed. It was like a monster beer run at a campsite. Each person offering to tip me well if I 'could just pick up these few items for them'.

I am sure that I will go pop a few times but the system I live in is generally quiet with friendly players just carving out their own piece of the map. We do get pirates from time to time but the neighborhood watch program seems to alert us pretty quick if someone is spotted who looks questionable.

It is a totally different way of playing and actually much closer to the experience that I have been wanting in a space game. I am out on the end of no where. I am in constant danger while living in relative peace. I need to plan a trip to empire space days in advance and make a shopping list that would rival that of a college Ikea run.

You really need to plan you actions carefully out here and the moment you get sloppy is the moment that I rogue pilot will happen through your system.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 6:54 am 
Site Admin

Awesome post Moge! Thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 7:26 am 
Spammer

Cyrus Rex wrote:
Awesome post Moge! Thanks

Awesome indeed, even if I didn't understand most of the technical terms :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 9:51 am 
Spammer

sweet!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 2:19 pm 

Great post. Even I won't dare step foot into 0.0 space. If I ever play again, I'll stick to my kernite till I have awsome skills.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 5:39 pm 
Site Admin

in reality I am no where near uber in any skills. I think the key is to find an out of the way location and join a well connected Corp.

I think that most people that play really just want to play the game and not war against everyone all the time. Rest assured however that if Dusk Till Dawn was attacked I would step up and join the fleet battle.

Monikers longterm goal is to be a fleet capital ship pilot. She is maybe 3 months away from being able to (properly) fly a Carrier. From there I will work on my leadership and gang command skills. At that point I may look at joining an actual alliance and help defend or even attack places - but that is some time away yet.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 8:43 pm 
Spammer

Yes excellent post Moge. Now I want to go trial Eve again!

WoW - Dalaran: Bolg Golga Virrok All Retired
SWG - Golga Bolg - Doctor (Resident) Retired
Eve - Edge Finn - Limbo
Section 2 - (Former) Director
What am I playing now?: The waiting game

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 11:10 pm 
Spammer

Golga Bolg wrote:
Yes excellent post Moge. Now I want to go trial Eve again!

I almost hate to say it, but ditto! :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2006 2:55 pm 
Site Admin

Me too... The planning, the cautiousness, the danger… I love all that stuff. I am the type of guy who is happy to spend 50% of my time playing and the other 50% planning/studying/ strategizing.

The only problem I foresee is that I cant experience what Moge describes without first spending months of skill grinding. I am no Eve expert, but I bet Moge has been grinding skills for a good long time. Am I correct Moge?

Ever since getting hooked on Battlestar Galatica I have wanted to get back in Eve. Moge's post makes me what to get back in even more so. I just find that I can’t live what I am looking for at the level I was at when I quit. Plus when I quit I was craving group cooperation. I found that less and less in Eve so I got back into WoW where I at least have my wife to group with.

But I am very tempted.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2006 5:48 pm 
Site Admin

well I reupped Moniker in July specifically to start skill grinding so she is up to almost 5mil skill points. Moge, however, was just reupped maybe a month ago and has maybe 2.5mil skill points.

When I reupped Moniker in July I knew I would be playing but I wanted to get her Adv learning skills all to lvl 4 which takes a good month to do. Moge still only have basic learning skills so he advances much slower.

I think the main thing to remember is I am a very casual gamer right now. I maybe spend an avg of 1 hour in game a day with some more time on the weekends. Given that I play the game by 'planning' the game.

I downloaded evemon and muck with that. I also read the boards a lot.

Joining a 0.0 corp was a good idea for me as it allowed me to do things that I probably would not have done otherwise. It is nice knowing that I can mine for an hour and still make 10-20million which is enough to keep me decently outfitted and supplied.

Most days I dont even leave the dock. I just log in and check out the market or muck about. When I do leave I really enjoy the 0.0 way of life. The Rats really hurt you and sometimes running is the only option. You have safe spot instas ready to go at a moments notice. You are constantly watching local to see if someone knew just warped in. I like all that and yeah I know I will go pop several times and if I'm attacked by a pirate I have zero chance of winning but that is all part of it.

0.0 mining and living is the closest to what I want to experience in game as I think is possible. I get the TV-RP moments more often. I really had fun just sitting in the hanger for 3 days trying to organize my gear for the 0.0 trip. Scouting ahead and looking for pirates in a cheap ship as moge followed in a ship loaded with over 300mil in parts. That was fun.

Even a 2 jump trip to the only other station within 11jumps of me can be a heart pumping experience.

I'm having fun. I'm only playing maybe 4-6 hours a week total. I know I couldn't really do that in WoW so Eve is a perfect match for me right now.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2006 12:42 pm 

Damn..... that's really makes me wanna join a 0.0 corp, but I am just having too much fun becomming a manufacturing mogul in TCO right now. The battleship manufacturing bussiness is a lucrative one.

:)

-LA

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2006 10:45 pm 
Spammer

Ok, you actually got me to trial again. Look up Edge Finn if you are ingame.

Eve - Edge Finn - Limbo

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2006 9:41 am 

OK 2 months more or less since you re upped, but how long did you play before that? If I stick with EVE in the long run, I also want to get to 0.0 space, but Im not even comfortable in .4 space right now. (Been playing about 3 weeks)

So how long total did it take you to go to 0.0.

I know it maybe different for everyone but Im just trying to get a feel for the total amount of time it would take.......

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2006 12:58 pm 
n00b 4 3v3r

I'll see if I can pop in a little more regularly (haven't logged in for a few months). Last time I was in, I recall I was trying to assemble a line of Itty Vs. I do fancy trying to skill up so that I can do combat more effectively.

Pathfinder Kingmaker Campaign:
Gednan Malithanar - Wizard (1)
Dukin Thunderstrike - Ranger (1)

Star Citizen: - https://www.robertsspaceindustries.com/
AntanKarmola on their forums

Star Wars: The Old Republic: - Not really playing
Antare Karmola - Jedi Guardian (32)
Antan Karmola - Jedi Shadow (21)
Arianae Karmola - Gunslinger (20)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2006 2:40 pm 
Site Admin

One thing that I shoudl probably stress is that my play style is probably much different that others. I am more of a cerebral gamer, meaning I 'play' by planning and thinking more than doing.

This is probably one of the reasons I like Eve so much. I can 'play' it by planning my new ship or building up skills or even sitting still for 2 hours mindlessly mining.

My experiences in 0.0 and the ones posted here are probably more a result of my own RP than reality. I only say this becuase I didn't know I woudl stir up interest in Eve again and now that I have I didn't want to represent false hope.

---

As for skills. If you are a miner or even a rat hunter you really only need a basic layout of a battleship. you need to know if you ship is an armor or shield tank and you need to be able to have 2x large (armor or shield) repairers running 24/7 - meaning you can run then without your cap running out.

You also need to be able to pack a punch. these rats are worth 200k-1.5mil so they take a lot to bring them down. Cruise or Torp missiles, large turrets or well trained heavy drones are a must.

I'll post my mining battleship layout (Dominix) when I get home.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2006 3:39 pm 

I have always wanted to reup my Eve account just for a casual play but until my currently tight pocketbook frees up a bit I am a one game person.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2006 4:21 pm 
n00b 4 3v3r

I have a one year subscription so I'm actually paying for the time that I'm not currently playing. So it would be good to get back in again.

Pathfinder Kingmaker Campaign:
Gednan Malithanar - Wizard (1)
Dukin Thunderstrike - Ranger (1)

Star Citizen: - https://www.robertsspaceindustries.com/
AntanKarmola on their forums

Star Wars: The Old Republic: - Not really playing
Antare Karmola - Jedi Guardian (32)
Antan Karmola - Jedi Shadow (21)
Arianae Karmola - Gunslinger (20)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2006 4:46 pm 
Site Admin

X2 - if you have a paid subscription it is very worth your time to download Evemon and just set a random goal and train towards it.

2 months of training leanring and missle skills can have a huge impact when you return to play the game.

This is basically what I did with Moniker a few months ago. I chose to reup her as I knew I wanted to get back in but just not right then. I set her up with max learning skills and a few 20day skills. Now that I am back ingame she is advancing much faster then Moge who I didnt reup early.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2006 8:02 pm 
Spammer

Golga -

Sorry I missed you tonight...went AFK. I added you to my buddy list so i'll know when you are online again.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2006 9:02 am 
Spammer

dbakke wrote:
Golga -

Sorry I missed you tonight...went AFK. I added you to my buddy list so i'll know when you are online again.

No prob, At my in-laws until today so my connection has been quite spotty.

Eve - Edge Finn - Limbo

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2006 9:20 am 

Yeah I missed you too....but I'm getting guided missiles so next time I won't miss.

:)

-LA