Avian Gamers Network

Forum
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 11:00 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2006 7:17 am 
n00b 4 3v3r

I'm looking for a ship that is reasonably cheap to buy and fit, that is quite fast and will get me from place to place regardless for security rating. I'd like the loadout to be one that will allow me to survive most encounters that I'm likely to run into when travelling from place to place and that might just allow me to be reasonably useful in a fight. I'm Caldari and can only, currently, use Caldari ships. Any suggestions?

I was thinking of equiping my Merlin for such a task. What loadout would I need and what skills to allow me that loadout?

Pathfinder Kingmaker Campaign:
Gednan Malithanar - Wizard (1)
Dukin Thunderstrike - Ranger (1)

Star Citizen: - https://www.robertsspaceindustries.com/
AntanKarmola on their forums

Star Wars: The Old Republic: - Not really playing
Antare Karmola - Jedi Guardian (32)
Antan Karmola - Jedi Shadow (21)
Arianae Karmola - Gunslinger (20)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2006 8:34 am 
Site Admin

I am wanting the same thing, but for a Gallente, and I am not too concerned about the cost.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2006 10:30 am 
Spammer

http://myeve.eve-online.com/ingameboard.asp?a=topic&threadID=333309#2

that should get you started on potential load outs...

The other thing I was thinking is you all may want to consider Recon / Force Recon ships. They seem to have a good blend of cloak / fighting ability although the Force Recon ships appear to be more suited to groups or support roles.

Falcon for Caldari Force Recon, Rook for Caldari Recon
ARazu for Gallente, lachesis for Gallente Recon???

They're in EON Issue #3.

If you beg, plead and call me Lord High Mayor ...I might scan it in and send it to you (unless someone can host the file as I don't have an e-mail account / website suited for the purpose.)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2006 10:36 pm 

For cheap and easy to fit.

Minmatar slasher. You can have the skill for it in a few hours.

Fast fast fast. You can usually run blockades with it so long as they don't manage to warp scramble you, but there are ways to make it harder for them to do that too.

My prefered loadout is a MWD, Multispectrum jammer (Just in case an interceptor does lock on I have a chance to break his lock) and nanofiber in the low slot (Others might choose a warp stabalizer, but anything that's gonna lock on and hit you with a warp jammer in the time it takes you to MWD to a gate is not going to be countered by a single warp stab. That nnofiber gives you just a tad more speed and makes you just a tad more agile. I prefer that edge.)

The high slots I usually have a prototype cloak. This allows me to warp in 100km away and cloak before anyone can target me. This way I can see if the 12 people in local are all sitting at one gate. warping away is a matter of turning to point at the object you plan to warp to and then decloak and warp, you're gone before anyone will lock onto you.

As for the approch to the gate. In a system where I expect there is trouble (Any low sec system really) I first warp to a planet or moon to the extream left or right of the gate I plan to go to. Most gate campers will set up in a position to take maximum advantage of people warping in from the LOS of another gate. And interceptors will be sitting to take advantage of this as well. Approaching from the odd angle will help throw them off that fraction of a second and maybe let you get to the gate.

Also. Use the autopilot once you are ready to approach the gate you want to pass thru. It helps tremendously if you get distracted. It jumps in to 15km, approaches the gate direct and jumps thru the gate as soon as you get in range. This allows you do do other things during that time like heat up the multispectrum jammer, jump up and down on your computer chair in a panic or scream at the screen to encourage your ship to go FASTER!

:)

-LA

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2006 12:11 am 

Rule of thumb for this type of stuff:

Check and see what T1 ship is used as the base for the interceptor of your race. Then take that ship, slap a MWD on it, a warp stab or two, and if you have any more low slots left over put on overdrive injectors, nanofiber structures, or inertial stabs in the remaining slots. Medium and hislots really don't matter if all you're doing is scouting around.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2006 12:15 pm 
Site Admin

agree. I currently use a slasher with a MWD and nanofiber as my 0.0 scout ship. It cost less that 100k to outfit so I dont care if I loose it and with a MWD it goes about 3500 at top speed.

The cap runs low a lot though but not really a worry.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2006 5:40 pm 

Yeah, cap rechargers are a good idea for the mids to keep the MWD going. Don't spring for any named rechargers if you want to keep the fitting less than a million ISK (really good cap rechargers go for 15 mil+)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2006 11:29 pm 

Bah slasher makes it to the gate before the MWD cycles once.

I think mine hits 3700+ which puts it at the gate in just under 4 seconds.

If pirates can react, lock and jam you in that time then you're screwed, but more often than not if you run with your sound off you have lag on your side and can throw them off just enough to get thru the gate while they are still locking.

-LA

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2006 8:00 am 
n00b 4 3v3r

Skotticus wrote:
Medium and hislots really don't matter if all you're doing is scouting around.
And if I'm not just scouting around? What do I need to make my scout ship a reasonable tank?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2006 9:50 am 

X2-PB wrote:
Skotticus wrote:
Medium and hislots really don't matter if all you're doing is scouting around.
And if I'm not just scouting around? What do I need to make my scout ship a reasonable tank?

If you are in a scouting ship, I think you want to scoot instead of shoot (or absorb shots).

If they warp scramble you your screwed, so I would say dont worry about tanking.

Avoid and run away from bad guys.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2006 11:08 am 

Yeah, scouting and fighting are not a good combo.

If you plan to be able to both scout and fight then I would say you want to shoot for a tech 2 cruiser like a Heavy Assault Cruiser (HAC) and equip it for combat/tanking and save a high slot for an advanced cloak for when you wanna be sneaky.

But HACs are neither cheap nor fast to train for. It would be an investment in time and money to get the skills to fly the HAC and also the support skills to make it a tanking nightmare.

-LA

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2006 11:30 am 
n00b 4 3v3r

In that case, what would I need to equip to keep me from dying very quickly while I'm trying to get away?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2006 11:46 am 
Site Admin

The only time youget busted in a Slasher is if they have a warp bubble up. If they do, you die.

X2: The first thing a pirate is going to do it tackle you. meaning he will warp scramble you. So fitting warp drive stabs will help with that. After that, either EW jammers or tank. If you have prevent yourself from getting warp scrambled and if you can prevent the attacker from getting and keeping a lock on you then you can get away most times.

Train up you targeting speed skills. The fast you can lock onto them the faster you can jam them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2006 12:56 pm 

Trust me, when you're moving at 3km/s, even with the boosted sig radius that MWDs produce, you're going to be a bitch to hit with turret weapons. What you need to watch out for are light drones. =)

Just scoot the moment you see enemies and you should be ok. Takes some time to target, and as a frig you're a lot harder to target, so you have a little time.