Forum
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 11:47 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 11:57 am 
Site Admin

A great quote from a good FAQ I found.
http://www.burningseacommunity.com/modu ... 7&catid=22

Quote:
Q: How long will it take a player to get the Biggest ship with the most cannons and rule the seas? Will the players who play 24/7 make the game unenjoyable for casual players?

A: First, we don't know. If we make it reasonable for a casual player then the uber-fast-hardcore folks will get it very quickly.

BUT, there is no uber ship.

Here is my rough approximation. More of a metaphor than an approximation, or maybe it is like a simile. Anyway ... if you went into a WOW Battleground, or a DAOC PVP keep (I forget what those were called), you had people who were grouped by level. In WOW, with the same gear and skills, a level 39 will whup a level 30. But it isn't a one-shot thing. And several 30s can gang up on a 39. That's more like what we want for the ENTIRE GAME. So, there won't be the kind of disparity you see in fantasy MMORPGs where an infinite number of level 1 noobs could attack a level 50 and the level 50 could be AFK and survive forever.

Plus, the biggest ship is kind of like, say, the top-level tank or melee class. They can take on other ships toe-to-toe and often win. But for a given mission, or even a given part of PVP, you may be better off in the top scout ship. Or a fast hunter ship. And if you're fighting near shallows or in light wind, a huge ship of the line might find itself grounded and pounded. It doesn't take a long grounding for raking fire, even from a smaller ship. to decimate your crew.

Will we go to great lenghts to balance a scout ship vs. a battle ship in a 1-on-1 open seas PVP? Probably not as much. But that's a dumb fight to have for the scout. A scout should not plan to fight a battleship unless you get caught with your back to a lee shore and have to wiggle free like Cochrane and the HMS Speedy. (for the record, twice Cochrane went up against 3 battleships in a smaller ship, and once he got away. The other time, he got pwnd, despite trying to get away. Even skill only gets you so far against bad odds)

And, you won't be resitricted to just one ship. So even if you have a complex about 1-on-1 PVP, you don't need to sail a battleship in every fight. Just earn one and keep it for sinking that loudmouth , or better yet for fighting in that role when your nation needs you.

Forget the uberness of other games at the high levels. Playtime in POTBS gets you better stuff and more skills, but not an "I WIN N00B" button. You'll still need to fight skillfully, and a skillful casual player will have a real impact in PVP.

As to the 24-7 folks ruining it for the casual folks, I'm more worried about that for the future features like political power. One reason we're introducing stuff over time is to make sure we have something that rewards play, while not locking out casual players entirely. For the basic gameplay I am not worried.

We also have a ton of PVE mission content, for those who worry about my emphasis on PVP. I tried to stay on the OP's question, which was what happens after you're 'done.' I should in fairness point out that being done may never for occur for most folks, as we plan to continue to introduce content. But every game says that, right? So I don't like to rest on that argument alone. Even if you somehow manage to do very mission and max your skills, we want the game to be fun.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 12:35 pm 
n00b 4 3v3r

Work out what it is to have the Weather Gage. If you have that, you've got a good start.

Pathfinder Kingmaker Campaign:
Gednan Malithanar - Wizard (1)
Dukin Thunderstrike - Ranger (1)

Star Citizen: - https://www.robertsspaceindustries.com/
AntanKarmola on their forums

Star Wars: The Old Republic: - Not really playing
Antare Karmola - Jedi Guardian (32)
Antan Karmola - Jedi Shadow (21)
Arianae Karmola - Gunslinger (20)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 12:59 pm 
Spammer

X2-PB wrote:
Work out what it is to have the Weather Gage. If you have that, you've got a good start.

What are you talking about? Sorry, I may just be a little slow this morning.

Nice post btw Moge. Really lays out how they are intending the game to allow the casual player to still be able to have a strong impact in battles.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 1:07 pm 
Site Admin

this is very Eve-like. A carrier and Dread are awesome but both can be taken down by 3-5 well flown frigs.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 1:11 pm 
Site Admin

another good quote from the boards:

Quote:
A Freetrader wants a ship that can carry lots of goods.

The largest merchant ship has 48 guns and can carry 2300 tons.

The 104 can only carry 1240 tons.

The 104 is quite expensive for the small amount of cargo it can carry. You could probably buy two of the largest merchant ships for the price of the one 104.

A privateer will probably have skills that are for the most part incompatible with sailing a lumbering beheamoth. Their skills I expect will work best in the fast and maneuverable ships.

Each profession gets access to ships that best utilize their skills. A Freetrader sailing around in a 104 is mediocre when compared to a Freetrader making cargo runs in his La Couronne. A privateer isn't much of a privateer when he can't catch other ships.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 3:01 pm 
Spammer

Quote:
Playtime in POTBS gets you better stuff and more skills, but not an "I WIN N00B" button.

w00t!

Weather gage means your vessel is in a favorable position relative to the wind, which changes based on what ship you're considering. Ships with fore and aft sails (meaning the sails run from the bow of the ship to the stern) do better with the wind coming at them from the 2 to 4 o'clock or 8 to 10 o'clock position. Ships with multiple masts and the huge square sails (think the Flying Dutchman from Pirates of the Caribbean) do better with wind coming from their 4 to 5 or 7 to 8 o'clock position.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 3:36 pm 
Spammer

Gotcha. Thx Rocky.

I gotta get up to speed on this sailing lingo and techniques. But can ya blame a landlocked individual from Alberta?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 3:48 pm 
n00b 4 3v3r

I'm a sailor with a fasination for Tall Ships so I know a fair amount about this stuff already.

Thoeritically, if you have a small, fast ship and the advantage of the weather gage, with some clever tactics, you should be able to capture a much larger ship in 1v1 combat.

I don't know how realistic they're going to make the ship to ship combat, but if it's reasonably realistic, tactics will play a very important part in any battle. After that, it'll be about the firing rate and accuracy of the gunners, although bad quality in those can be compensated by good tactics.

The capturing of an enemy ship appears to be similar to how it was done in Sid Meier's Pirates! in that the captains duel and the crew fight. If either one of the captains die of if one or other side run out of crew then the fight is over. If this is the case and you want to capture ships (capturing gives full loot as oppose to sinking which only gives partial loot), I would suggest the tactic of using grape, before boarding to kill as many of the enemy crew as possible. This way, if you're bad at dueling, you can win by holding out and having your crew defeat their's. If you're good at dueling, you can board earlier with much worse odds and defeat the captain quicker, thereby capturing the ship.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 4:09 pm 
Spammer

Funny you mentioned Sid's Pirates X2. I actually installed that game the other night to both learn the wind sailing tactics as well as get some of the pirate fix I have been hankering for. :D

Great game too btw. I would recommend it to all Avians, not just those interested in PotBS.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 4:15 pm 
Spammer

I was going to install Pirates! the other night but couldn't find my discs anywhere! :( So, I settled for Patrician 2. Not nearly enough sea combat but tons of trading and commerce.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 4:36 pm 
Spammer

Holy crap! Sid Meier's Pirates is still $39.99!!!! I played that game back when I was in high school! I figured I'd be able to pick it up for $10 or less...wow. I guess it's good to be $id Meier.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 4:56 pm 
n00b 4 3v3r

Rocklar wrote:
Holy crap! Sid Meier's Pirates is still $39.99!!!! I played that game back when I was in high school! I figured I'd be able to pick it up for $10 or less...wow. I guess it's good to be $id Meier.
Is that the original version or the new remastered version that came out only a couple of years ago?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 5:43 pm 
Site Admin

I bought mine a few weeks ago at BestBuy for $19.99

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 5:44 pm 
Spammer

I thought there was only 1 version available.

Even then, I see Sid's Pirates available on PSP for $40 Canadian. I would expect the older PC version to be cheaper, almost bargain bin price.

Maybe the Disney pirate movies kept demand high. :?:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 5:55 pm 
Site Admin

Its $29.95 on steam.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 6:15 pm 
Spammer

19.99 on Bestbuy.com

Former Head of Department of the Treasury
-------
Ask not what your PA can do for you, but what you can do for your PA