Avian Gamers Network

Forum
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 7:37 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2007 12:19 pm 
Spammer

Change of plans: a wiki has been made available and I will be using it. No further work will be done in this thread. In a few days/couple weeks I'll request an admin remove this thread.

In the meantime, if you'd like to help with the creation of the wiki, PM me.

I'm proposing the formation of a Pirates of the Burning Seas Knowledge Base (KB). The game and genre present a lot of concepts that are new and unique to many of us. I believe having a set of reference material here would be a positive addition.

Scope: this KB will contain documented as well as observed in-game mechanics details including avatar control, avatar combat, ship movement, ship combat, boarding, superstition and lore, resource production, resource processing and final product construction. Further, this KB will contain resources detailing out-of-game concepts, such as sailing terminology, the principles of sailing, life in the early 18th century and 18th century maritime combat. Contextual information necessary for the understanding of these points may also be included.

Vision: this KB will become a central resource for new players as well as experienced in-game mariners, benefiting Avians in their exploration and domination of the Caribbean (plus it's something fun to do while waiting for the game to reach beta).

Format: no information will be removed from the KB but may be archived or retired, either through notations or relocation within the KB. (more detail on sections to follow)

First draft: the first draft of the KB will be right here in this thread and appear as a collection of ship information, terminology, tactics essentials, in-game mechanics and crafting details (as we learn more about the latter two). I will reserve a handful of subsequent posts and then leave space for others to contribute to the KB. As submitted entries are integrated into the KB, the poster will be credited with their contribution in the KB itself and their post removed. Keeping the thread clean will make the location of information just that much easier.

Second draft: as a wiki right here on Avian-gamers.net! I understand the admins are busy but they've consistently raised the bar when it comes to delivering what is perceived as useful to the Avian user-base. If it is decided that a wiki would benefit us in this game, I would be happy to migrate the data from this thread to the wiki. If this isn't possible from the admin's point of view, Wikia may be an option. **EDIT** Investigation revealed this option would not allow us to keep any of the Wiki private which seems to make sense so we can use this resources as a clearinghouse for information that would benefit our respective in-game businesses.

Feel free to post comments in this thread. After a while (a couple weeks or so) I'll get them cleaned off to maintain KB structure. (yeah, It's too dang hot and humid to do much of anything outside today plus 'm getting fired up about the game and want to do something related to the game now!)

Last edited by Rocklar on Sat Jun 09, 2007 9:32 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2007 12:20 pm 
Spammer

Section 1

• Nations
    Players may wear the colors of England, Spain or France. A fourth "nation" faction is that of pirate. (add colors, benefits/drawbacks, starting locations)
  • Classes
  • Map

Last edited by Rocklar on Sat Jun 09, 2007 4:04 pm, edited 5 times in total.

Post subject:
Spammer

Section 2

• Ships
  • Weapons
  • Armor
  • Modifications and Enhancements

Last edited by Rocklar on Sat Jun 09, 2007 4:05 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Post subject:
Spammer

Section 3

• PvP Mechanics
    Material about zones of contention, how they're created.

Limitations of PvP

Last edited by Rocklar on Sat Jun 09, 2007 4:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2007 12:21 pm 
Spammer

Section 4

• Crafting
    Methodology

Resources

Products
  • Economy
    NPC-side economy

PC-side economy

Last edited by Rocklar on Sat Jun 09, 2007 4:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
Spammer

Section 5

• Terminology

Last edited by Rocklar on Sat Jun 09, 2007 4:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
Spammer

Section 6

Last edited by Rocklar on Sat Jun 09, 2007 4:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2007 12:22 pm 
Spammer

Section 7

• Nautical concepts
    Who has experience and knowledge on this real life topic?

Last edited by Rocklar on Sat Jun 09, 2007 4:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
Spammer

<Reserved>

Post subject:
Spammer

<Reserved>

Post subject:
Spammer

<Reserved>

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2007 9:32 pm 
Spammer

Please read the changes in the first post.