Forum
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:56 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Eve security breach
PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 5:29 pm 
Site Admin

http://www.gamasutra.com/php-bin/news_i ... tory=15940

Quote:
In an official statement on the EVE Online website,CCP chief of operations Jón Hörðdal explained that a database anomaly indicative of a potential exploit recently caused both the EVE Online game servers and its website to be temporarily brought down.

Explained Hörðdal, "What we discovered was an indication that one of our databases was being accessed through a security breach. Our policy in such cases is to mobilize a taskforce of internal and external experts to evaluate the situation."

Hörðdal said that the taskforce concluded that going completely dark so that an exhaustive scan could be performed was the best course of action. "While some may feel that such a drastic reaction was not warranted, it is always our approach to err on the side of caution in order to protect the players," he said.

"Our taskforce quickly found the security breach and prevented that from being used," added Hörðdal. "We can also confirm that no personal details such as users’ credentials or credit card numbers were exposed through this incident."

According to the website, EVE's servers were brought back online at 22:00 GMT, and the EVE team will continue to monitor the situation in the coming week. Said Hörðdal "We of course understand the effect and disruption this has had for our players and apologize for not having been able to explain to the community what was going on. In these cases it can often be counterproductive to containment to give out information while we are in the process of evaluating the scope of the problem."

I haven't been to the EVE boards to see the player reactions but personally I commend CCP on this. They chose to bring their servers down during peak weekend playtimes and 'inconvenience' it's players rather than risk the exposure of it's playerbase to possible harm.

Well done CCP.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 5:31 pm 
Site Admin

http://www.eve-online.com/news/newsOfEve.asp?newsID=464

Quote:
At 10:25 GMT today we discovered an anomaly in the EVE Online Database indicating a potential exploit. Our policy in such cases is to mobilize a taskforce of internal and external experts to evaluate the situation. At 12:57 that group concluded that our best course of action was to go completely dark while an exhaustive scan of our entire infrastructure was executed.

What we discovered was an indication that one of our databases was being accessed through a security breach. While some may feel that such a drastic reaction was not warranted, it is always our approach to err on the side of caution in order to protect the players.

We of course understand the effect and disruption this has had for our players and apologize for not having been able to explain to the community what was going on. In these cases it can often be counterproductive to containment to give out information while we are in the process of evaluating the scope of the problem.

Our taskforce quickly found the security breach and prevented that from being used. We subsequently found three cases of database actions being performed through the security breach but none of those affected other users than the one doing the actions. We can also confirm that no personal details such as users’ credentials or credit card numbers were exposed through this incident.

The servers were brought back online at 22:00 GMT and we will of course continue to monitor the situation closely over the weekend and the following week.

Again we sincerely apologize for this disruption.

Regards,
-Jón Hörðdal
Chief Operating Officer, CCP

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 10:29 am 

Though I've barely tried the game, I do read a lot about it. In an age where there is really only one MMO, they've made numerous innovations and really shown how a smallish company can be successful.

I hope they go on for a long time.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 8:30 pm 
Spammer

The amount of fresh lore they produce has always impressed me and it's usually after reading some of the new stuff they've published that I re-up. They are a pretty remarkable company and yeah, good for them for making the right choice in this situation.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 2:43 am 

it was a little bit annoying that the game were down, but they made the right choice

good job ccp :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 9:43 am 

Ditto

Glad they got it fixed rather quickly as well, they came up about 3 hours before I finished Medium Hybrid guns V. That was a sigh of relief for me :lol:

I can't wait to see Trinity this winter 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 9:06 pm 
Spammer

Still lovin' the game here....based out of Syndicate at the moment!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 2:29 pm 

But you are still a slacker 8)

Is all of your stuff in JQV?

I got some ships Im building for profit in Y4 I need to finish mining the mins on then Im going to move on down.

7 Mrymidon
1 Hyperion
1 Megathron.

All I need is about 4 steady hours killing Veldspar/refine/manufacture/put up for sale/ then Im on my way :)

When I get down there we can kill some crokite together :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 3:29 pm 
Spammer

hehe i got stuff all over :cry: M2, PC9, S-U, Pert, and Lour...when we move to true 0.0...i'm hosed.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2007 4:26 pm 

i have secure cans all over the whole of eve, but i dont remember all the passwords (needs a bang head on wall smiley)

i take it your all just doing mining/making stuff?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 1:09 pm 

I don't know about Lanasa but I dabble in just about everything:

Mining
Manufacturing
ratting
Missioning
PvP
Corp admin
Corp Logistics

in the near term Im working on the exploration skills

in the long term, I want to work invention skills, and Im currently farming faction to get the datacore R&D income moving.

Thats the nice thing about Syndicate, you always got something to do :)

I can't wait till we get out to REAL 0.0 space.

And no you guys can't have Lanasa back, he is now my mining b1tch :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 3:38 am 

i live(in eve) in real 0.0 space, currently being invaded, theres so much to do with a war

like having 3 fleets in a system, all hunting a stray hostile carrier, and having a gatecamp with evrybody untill the guys with scanning probes find the carrier

i feel sorry for anybody that goes through the gate and sees 3 fleets camping it

and if you are going to the real 0.0 space, expect to invade someone, or just pay them to live next to them(the first has more action)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 10:41 am 

Xenus wrote:
i live(in eve) in real 0.0 space, currently being invaded, theres so much to do with a war

like having 3 fleets in a system, all hunting a stray hostile carrier, and having a gatecamp with evrybody untill the guys with scanning probes find the carrier

i feel sorry for anybody that goes through the gate and sees 3 fleets camping it

and if you are going to the real 0.0 space, expect to invade someone, or just pay them to live next to them(the first has more action)

Lets just say with a 1600 member alliance that has a substantial and ever growing capitol fleet we would rent space as our last option ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2007 10:57 am 
Spammer

For me, I mine (have a retriever)...and will eventually get the skills to fly a hulk (not that far off)

I dipped a pinkie toe into manufacturing, but found it a bit tedious

I mostly rat and PvP now...with some missioning.

I need to get back to mining though...as I haven't paid Aranrth the rent that he's due ;)