Avian Gamers Network

Forum
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:30 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Epic?! Or ruthless?!
PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2007 1:09 am 
Spammer

Here's an interesting article for both Eve players and MMO gamers in general. Astonishing really.

http://eve.klaki.net/heist/

I have never played Eve or really followed it at all so I am curious to get some reactions from people on this. On one hand I am amazed and applaud it but on the other I am a little dismayed that someone would actually wash away sooooo many hours invested into a video game.

Oh and sorry if this got posted somewhere already but I did not see something on a quick scan in this forum.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2007 6:03 am 

happens all the time if you dont watch who you are allowing into your corp

only difrence here is that there was alot stolen and at the same time

ive seen a case of that happen once, guy stole from a corp in my alliance(alliance dead now i think), he was after that, denied acces to the station where he had all the goods, and shot, several times, and most of his stuff taken away, or blown up

and if you have fun playing, you just end up spending a few hours today, a few tommorrow, and if you keep having fun, you are gonna wake up one day, and notice you have spend over 500hours on that game

edit: and play eve as a free 14day trial first, its worth it, most depth(as in difrent kinds of stuff to do) in a game ive ever seen

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2007 7:53 am 

I'm only concerned about the clan who did the heist. True it might be terrible for the players, but this is actually what the developers wanted for gamers with all the freedom. But they are still revealed.

I think it's brilliant.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2007 10:50 am 

Azzameen85 wrote:
I'm only concerned about the clan who did the heist. True it might be terrible for the players, but this is actually what the developers wanted for gamers with all the freedom. But they are still revealed.

I think it's brilliant.

Just because the corp is revealed doesn't mean they can't do it again, if they wanted to that is, after that heist they could all retire into there fully fitted out Tech 2 ships and enjoy the good life. :lol:

All they have to do is sell the characters that pulled the heist, buy new similar characters, and do it again, and there is a legal way to do that in game ;)

But this kind of stuff happens all along to various degrees. Most of it is pretty small time.

EVE is not really a game, its more of a perverted socio-economic experiment, and has a tendency to bring out the best and worst in gamers.

But the learning curve is like a cliff, to get anywhere skills wise takes a long time, so the game is not for everyone.

There are no real good quick fixes to get ahead with a completely skills based real time training system. Throwing in game money (ISK) at it helps but its a drop in the bucket.

Ive been playing with a 6 week break for about 15 months and Im finally at the point where I feel I can mine up a storm, manufacture tech 1 stuff reasonably well, and do a decent job of defending myself when the call comes out to turn my pitch fork into a sword.

But I love 9and sometimes HATE) this game, but I guess thats part of what makes it so alluring.

Plus is its a blast to make fun of dbakke :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2007 11:22 am 
Site Admin

yeah this is the classic Eve example. Happened several years ago and this article really put Eve on the gamer map. I think there has been bigger heists since, but this was the first and the one to 'out beat'.

To get an idea of what the community is like in Eve just watch a few episodes of EveTV. being on Galaxy is just amazing. You can literally get good enough so that everyone in the Galaxy fears you or your corp. It really is amazing what you can do in this game.

If you had more control over your ship (able to actually fly it) and able to walk around (this is coming very soon). I would play this game constantly.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2007 11:56 am 
Spammer

iJasonT wrote:
If you had more control over your ship (able to actually fly it) and able to walk around (this is coming very soon). I would play this game constantly.

What do you mean by the bolded part, Moge? You want to be able to control it with a joystick?

Whenever I play Eve, I always crave a touchscreen - with all the controls where they are, how cool would that be? :twisted:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2007 3:11 pm 
Site Admin

yeah. Actually 'steer' my ship like a pilot, not just tap the direction I want to travel (more like JTL). If I could pilot my ship I would feel like I'm flying it, not just controlling it.

Yes I know, a commander on a large ship does not 'fly' it. I get that.
Maybe, if I could walk around my ship I would feel more connected to it. Autopilot a heading and then sit back, walk around and sprint to the controlls if the 'alarm' sounds.

I love Eve. Really I love it. I just get bored. Mining is fun but only practical if you duo or double box. I love the idea of Eve. I don't love playing Eve. Hands down, by far, the most immersive game and game universe ever.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2007 3:54 am 

(i think the walking in your ship/stations is gonna get worked on right after the nex big expansion)

eve is at its best in 0.0, thats where all the action is, and all the risks/rewards(besides maybe jita ganking)

im currently taking a little week off since my time card just expired and im training battleships to lvl 4

and to the comment "But the learning curve is like a cliff, to get anywhere skills wise takes a long time, so the game is not for everyone. "
by Aranarth

getting tech 2 frigates takes somewhere between 1 and 2 months, and 2 and 3 to fly efficiently
so the skills wont take that long to pay off if you choose the right skills to train for something :) (and not like me, train whatever sounds cool)

the thing is just making enough ISK to actually fly one

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2007 2:31 pm 
Site Admin

I would agree. The games core learning curve can be high but the barrier for newbie entry is not so high. It takes maybe 4-5 weeks until you start becoming a valid member of any gang; pirate, mining, hauling, fighting etc.

My Pirate alt was made and 3 weeks later was in an elite pirate training corp. Honestly, it is not a valid arguement to say that a person with 9months of skills will never be able to compete with someone that has been in the game since day one. If you focus your skills in one area; frigates are very powerful and the backbone of any solid raid, you can quickly become very skilled.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2007 2:28 pm 

iJasonT wrote:
My Pirate alt was made and 3 weeks later was in an elite pirate training corp.

And then you had a hissy fit and quit playing her, after i stuck my neck out for you to get you in. :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2007 2:14 pm 

Xenus wrote:
and to the comment "But the learning curve is like a cliff, to get anywhere skills wise takes a long time, so the game is not for everyone. "
by Aranarth

getting tech 2 frigates takes somewhere between 1 and 2 months, and 2 and 3 to fly efficiently
so the skills wont take that long to pay off if you choose the right skills to train for something :) (and not like me, train whatever sounds cool)

the thing is just making enough ISK to actually fly one

Well I probably didn't explain myself well enough in my original post. The bolded comment really is the key. I wish I had a million ISK, everytime, I heard someone in alliance chat say: "Well I can actually fly a carrier next week, but it will be another 6 months before I can afford one".

I am always thinking: "Well then why the hell are you spending all that time and ISK for carrier skill books and training carriers then?" :wink:

To get good at flying something can be done relatively quickly, at least in EVE time perspective. But being able to fly something relatively quickly and being able to sustain flying that T2 frigate or whatever is entirely a different matter, from a financial viewpoint.

I am now to the point where if a couple of battleships go pop, its a set back but not something I couldn't recover from relatively quickly. I couldn't do that 6 months ago.

And its taken a huge investment in Industry and Science skills to get there so I can mine pretty dam good right now, and manufacture T1 stuff out of the minerals I mine with relatively well researched BPO's and BPC's for the bigger ships.

Frigates and Cruisers are fine for low sec pirates ganking n00bs venturing into lo sec ;)

But in 0.0, unless you are really good in your T2 Frigates, I find you are a lot better off in at least a BC if not a BS in Fleet battles. Im not saying there isn't a place for the T1 tackle frigate. Im just saying in fleet battles they dont last too long. The same goes for poorly or even marginally flow T2 frigates, the room for error is very small when flying an Inty or a Cov Ops.

A lot of folks get an alt. That wasn't an option for me, until the power of 2. So I finally got one earlier this month. And the alts primary goal is to make money. She is about 3 weeks old and on the verge of beginning Level III Mechanical datacore research.

All Im saying is to be financially viable and handle a PvP addicition takes a bit training wise.

But once you get there the fun realy begins in EVE, Im getting antsy to get the hell out of Syndciate and head out to true 0.0.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2007 2:53 pm 

ive noticed money isnt the easyest to get, almost evrybody i know in eve has one or 2 alts that are basicly afk mining/hauler extras

i never play any game with more then one account, so i feel left behind

at least im having fun :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2007 6:04 pm 

Xenus wrote:
ive noticed money isnt the easyest to get, almost evrybody i know in eve has one or 2 alts that are basicly afk mining/hauler extras

i never play any game with more then one account, so i feel left behind

at least im having fun :)

True statement.

I finally succumbed with the Power of Two (getting a second account for 6 months for 50 bucks)

Im hoping to be to the point 6 months from now, where my in game income insures I can run at least one account all the time with purchased via ISK game time cards.

Between Datacore farming, and selling megathrons and Dominix's I am hoping to get there soon :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2007 7:08 pm 

Aranarth wrote:
But in 0.0, unless you are really good in your T2 Frigates, I find you are a lot better off in at least a BC if not a BS in Fleet battles. Im not saying there isn't a place for the T1 tackle frigate. Im just saying in fleet battles they dont last too long. The same goes for poorly or even marginally flow T2 frigates, the room for error is very small when flying an Inty or a Cov Ops.

Just wanted to comment on this paragraph... mainly saying that generally, if you have no idea what you're doing, this is all entirely true.... However. *evil smile*... Back in my Sniggerldy days, some of the best times i had with them was going out hunting in frigate gangs... normally between 12-20 of us would go out for a night, and holy hell, you'd be absolutely disgusted what frigates can do.

If you're coordinated, and know who to attack, and when, and where... again, holy hell. We invaded a system in 0.0 and held it for well over an hour... we actually started to get bored, which was the only reason we left. There was a corp owned station there, and when we started a good 20-30 hostile pilots in system. They came at us with everything... EVERYTHING. from T1 &T2 frigs, all the way to T2 BCs, ... and even a few carriers. (of course BSs and everything else lower than them)

At the height, we had webbed and scrammed 4 carriers. while fighting off everything else they threw at us. We were hoping to hold them until an ally Corp/alliance could come in and take them out... but they ended up pussying out and never showd, so we let them go and took off... even with all the skills, even though we had the first carrier almost to hull.... sadly, the second the second carrier jumped in, and started shield boosting the first, we knew that fight was over.

With all the Fighter drones, battleships, T2 ships we destroyed that night, the hostile losses totaled well over a billion isk. our losses, roughly 30 million, mostly modules.

So yeah... the ship interplay dynamics make for some awesome encounters.... and just cause they're Frigates, doesn't mean they're useless. So remember kids... If you ever run into a Snigg, and you happen to be in a frigate... expect to die very quickly... you're always the first target.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 3:36 am 

mass frigates?

i think i know how to stop that, mass smartbombs

or just some destroyer size ships(too bad you didnt get that carrier)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 12:57 pm 

Sure its fun to use mass frigates, or use mass cruisers, and in smaller battles they are fine.

But in fleet battles waiting for ther grid to load, and bullship like that you are better off in something that has some tank.

It all depends upon what your goals are. Mine are to be part of an organization that controls Sov Space.