Avian Gamers Network

Forum
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:22 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 12:19 pm 
Spammer

...maybe?

Cyrus has posted about the patch being installed today (graphics, new content, fixes, etc) as well as some of the press...

I have been having a ton of fun with Aranarth and the group we're in...we moved out to true 0.0 and are claiming our own area for the 1st time.

Game looks awesome, has a ton to do for crafters ...and for those who are concerned about it being a skill / time based game...go buy yourself a character. AFAIK it is legal and supported on the EVE forums.

You're missing out on an MMO that used to be just okay, but is now A LOT of fun.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 2:09 pm 

Well for the winter vacation I'm gonna spend some time convincing my pop to allow me using his internet connection to beta test Pirate of burning sea, in case I find it interesting enough.

EVE on the other hand is something I always wanted but lack of time and devotion has hold me back.

But a way to recruit more could be that the more experienced gamers from here could gather together to guide the newbs. (it's not dignatory. newbs are beginners with talents. Noob are veterans with no skill but won't admid it).
Could also give a master/apprentice feel to it and gather up the guild again.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 2:43 pm 

dbakke guiding n00bs?

Hilarious! :lol:

But seriuosly if any Avaian guys are indeed looking for somewhere to go, dbake and I can get you on the fast track to a new home in Fountain. Officer spawns and bistot here I come :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 9:21 pm 

Aranarth wrote:
dbakke guiding n00bs?

I hope it was a j/k since I specifically wrote newbs.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 2:18 pm 

Of course its a joke, Im always razzing dbakke because he likes it ;)

Mentoring n00bs or newbs (Im not sure what the difference is) is pretty much SOP in BRUCE.

We have our own in house university to teach the basics and some advanced techniques in just about everything, and the older players routinely help out the newer players.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 2:46 pm 
Spammer

newb is typically someone who is inexperienced due to relative newness to a game

noob is a derogatory form of newb that is typically used to refer to someone who is useless and acts in such a way that one would assume they are new to the game however their actual experience is irrelevant to the assessment due to the simple fact that they are acting like an idiot regardless of experience level...

Former Head of Department of the Treasury
-------
Ask not what your PA can do for you, but what you can do for your PA
"Gone Section Five"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 12:14 pm 
Spammer

A couple thoughts:

1) If EVE turned you off because of the steep learning curve or perceived inability to participate in "end-game" concepts like owning 0.0 space, sovereignty, etc you should take another look and consider what BRUCE has to offer - either as individuals or a reconstituted corp.

2) There's a very healthy mix of PvP, missioning, and industry to be done so you can explore whatever suits you.

3) If the whole time based skilling is a barrier to entry, you can always buy a char

4) Check out the always available 14 day trial..

http://eve-history.net/wiki/index.php/BRUCE This description is fairly accurate about a month or so out of date and not officially sanctioned, but its a start :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 2:08 pm 

Dragon Fire wrote:
newb is typically someone who is inexperienced due to relative newness to a game

noob is a derogatory form of newb that is typically used to refer to someone who is useless and acts in such a way that one would assume they are new to the game however their actual experience is irrelevant to the assessment due to the simple fact that they are acting like an idiot regardless of experience level...

sorry I guess my l33t isn't quite up to speed :(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 8:26 pm 

Aranarth wrote:
Dragon Fire wrote:

sorry I guess my l33t isn't quite up to speed :(

No biggie. I got my info from CTRL+ALT+DEL-Online.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 12:05 am 

I'm downloading the trial right now. I've been bouncing around a few games lately, so I'll give EVE a (re)try. It's been awhile since I've played, and I don't remember a thing about it, but it sound interesting. Once I get things sorted out, I'll let yall know, if you're willing to accept this newb (or maybe I'm a noob?) into your midst.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 11:54 am 
Spammer

Caldari - Lenia Krael

just tooling around killing pirates and mining a little...had one bad mission that took 3 runs with a kestral to beat...but finally did. Working on building up so cash and building up useful skills... I definitely like the new player tutorial its gotten better (gives you new ships too) and the skillsets you have out of the box are very helpful...I don't remember it being so advanced last time definitely didn't give me as many lvl 4 skills

They did restrict what trial accounts can do...we use to be able to get industrials I know for sure...probably something to do with gold farmers

-------
"Gone Section Five"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 1:43 pm 
Spammer

only thing I dislike so far is the lack of grouping in any way at low levels for pve.... as well as the huge diversity of mission difficulty at "lvl 1" missions and payouts

-------
"Gone Section Five"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 2:21 pm 

I reactivated my account from over 2 years ago. I'm dusting off the cobwebs and learning how to play again. The name is Faylval. I'm just glad that my self two years ago left me with a decent lowbie ship with some nice equipment and enough ammo to last for awhile.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 5:23 pm 

Well if you guys want to try out the "big show" convo or evemail Lanasa (dbakke) or me (Aravorn) online.

we are solidifying our position in Fountain right now, things should be rather exciting for the next couple of months.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2007 3:41 am 

fountain? are you fighting bob? i heard they were in full retreat after what happenned to thier relations with MC

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2007 11:30 am 

Xenus wrote:
fountain? are you fighting bob? i heard they were in full retreat after what happenned to thier relations with MC

Um well...............

lets just say right now we aren't being very cordial with there pets ;)

Ill give you a hint, do you see Styx and Rise Sovreignty in Fountain any longer? ;)

http://sov.eve-dev.net/maps/influence.png

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2007 1:09 pm 
Spammer

I'm installing the trial. What race and location or any of that crap do i need to pick to be near you guys??

"Perhaps the sentiments contained in the following pages, are not yet sufficiently fashionable to procure them general favor; a long habit of not thinking a thing wrong, gives it a superficial appearance of being right, and raises at first a formidable outcry in defence of custom. But the tumult soon subsides." - Thomas Paine, Common Sense

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2007 4:20 pm 
Spammer

Most people go Caldari or Gallente...although I think Amarr ships look pretty cool.

You'll start in a 1.0 system I think (they re-did the tutorial, etc) and I haven't rolled a char in quite some time.

Do the entire tutorial and look Lanasa up in game (that's me) or Aravorn (Aranarth)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2007 5:39 pm 
Spammer

Alright I'm a Galente by the name of Talon Sahaloch. I'll look you up. Just did a few missions and bought my first freighter.

"Perhaps the sentiments contained in the following pages, are not yet sufficiently fashionable to procure them general favor; a long habit of not thinking a thing wrong, gives it a superficial appearance of being right, and raises at first a formidable outcry in defence of custom. But the tumult soon subsides." - Thomas Paine, Common Sense

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2007 9:58 pm 

i'll just assume you meant frigate.... as freighters cost somewhere in the neighborhood of 500 mill, and take a month or 2 of training skills to be able to fly.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 3:23 am 
Spammer

Ravage wrote:
i'll just assume you meant frigate.... as freighters cost somewhere in the neighborhood of 500 mill, and take a month or 2 of training skills to be able to fly.

You shut up, mister "I'm the god of EVE." What do you know anyway??? nothin. That's what. Just take your big corporation and go ... do whatever. and stuff. shut it.

And THAT, ladies and gents.... was my 5000th post.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 4:44 am 

i'm honored you used your 5000th post to attempt to ridicule me. now all you need is riduculing lessons. I charge by the burn, so my rates vary.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 11:06 am 
Spammer

/shakes head...

such tomfoolery!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 9:56 pm 
Spammer

Talon1977 wrote:
Ravage wrote:

You shut up, mister "I'm the god of EVE." What do you know anyway??? nothin. That's what. Just take your big corporation and go ... do whatever. and stuff. shut it.

And THAT, ladies and gents.... was my 5000th post.

Post Padder!

DDO - Cannith - AlistairItor - Rogue/Ranger (5/3) - Main
DDO - Cannith - Guijanitor - Paladin/Rogue (4/1)
DDO - Cannith - RicochetItor - Rogue (5)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 12:53 pm 

I think someone else other than Talon sent me an Evemail to say they were in game but I couldn't place them.

And now I can't remember the name.

Is that someone here?

And glad you and the wife are having fun Talon.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 11:25 am 

Talon are you and the wife still playing?

I haven't seen you guys in the Happy Ministry Chat Channel for a while.................

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 11:58 am 
Spammer

Nope. Free trial ran out, and I just can't see paying the money for it right now. I've got my 360 with several games that need playin, and with CoD4 on Xbox Live, it's sucking my life away as it is. :P

I may pick it back up in the future, but I also want to try out LoTR online.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 5:42 pm 

Talon1977 wrote:
Nope. Free trial ran out, and I just can't see paying the money for it right now. I've got my 360 with several games that need playin, and with CoD4 on Xbox Live, it's sucking my life away as it is. :P

I may pick it back up in the future, but I also want to try out LoTR online.

If you liked WoW you will like LOTRO. But the world is a lot smaller.

I did alpha-2, Beta 1,2,3, and I did the 7 day trial in the last month. The game just can't hold me and I am a Tolkien nut. I hope it does more for you.

Give us some advance warning or any kind of warning if you come back to EVE.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 8:17 pm 

The biggest thing eve has going for it is that it IS unique. theres no other mmo like it. The problem i have with wow/lotro, is that its the same game with different wrapping, you play one, you've played them all. and my attention span isn't long enough to do the same thing over and over.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2008 12:22 pm 
Spammer

Funny you should say that actually. I really wasn't finding enough uniqueness in EVE to keep me exceptionally interested. Don't get me wrong, there ARE some unique things about it, but I'm beginning to wonder if the MMO craze might be dwindling a bit with me.

The biggest difference that I found was the time-based learning. There are good points and bad points about that system. Other than that, you're still running around repeating the same missions over and over, unless you follow the story line. I never got to try player created contracts, so maybe that would offer some variety.

I'm sure I'm missing some things, because I didn't get far into the game, but the missions seemed like a grind to me after a while.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2008 2:49 pm 

Talon1977 wrote:
Funny you should say that actually. I really wasn't finding enough uniqueness in EVE to keep me exceptionally interested. Don't get me wrong, there ARE some unique things about it, but I'm beginning to wonder if the MMO craze might be dwindling a bit with me.

The biggest difference that I found was the time-based learning. There are good points and bad points about that system. Other than that, you're still running around repeating the same missions over and over, unless you follow the story line. I never got to try player created contracts, so maybe that would offer some variety.

I'm sure I'm missing some things, because I didn't get far into the game, but the missions seemed like a grind to me after a while.

Then go mine, or train up and explore, or build stuff, or start a trading career.

See thats the big difference about a sandbox game, you do what you want when you want to do it. There is no "You have to do missions to advance".

Thats the beauty of this game for me, tired of doing something, go do something else for a while.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 5:15 am 

id just like to trow out there that missions are not the main content of eve

also unique about eve is that there is one world, theres not 20servers each with their own world, its one big happy world

if your looking for more then missions, look to 0.0 space, thats where the action is, ive been in 0.0 since about day 10 of my gametime, and i have no regrets about that, i would have gone on day one if i knew what i know now

just dont get caught in a gatecamp :)