Avian Gamers Network

Forum
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:18 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Looks Interesting
PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 4:32 pm 

Eve Online looks very interesting. I've always been a space fan.
I'm going to try the trial and see what I think. IF I were to play Eve though, I'd have to quit Horizons. I can only play, or subscribe to, one game at a time.

How does Eve Online look on holding up for a few more years?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 6:15 pm 

At this rate, i'd say the game eve itself, will be around forever. mainly because its entirely player driven.

once you get past the initial phases of learning what everything does, learning how to do what you want to do, and get over the sheer immensity of this game... you go out into areas that is completely player controlled, with rules and corporations, and laws enforced by people, not NPCs.

the game is very unforgiving... if you mess up, you can literally lose everything... including all of your skills, and time invested in training them. so, just be cautious if you die, remember to re-clone yourself.

if you do try it out, look for a link for the 14 day free trial.. (google it) the one directly off the website is only 7 days i believe. and go through the tutorial in its entirety. you will be completely lost if you don't... and chances are will still be completely lost if you can't find someone to ask questions to. heh. the "noob corp" chat is usually very helpful, so don't be shy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 6:16 pm 

in summary... amazing game, steep learning curve.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 8:07 pm 
Site Admin

Eve will long outlast Horizons (which is probably due for another ownership change right about now :P).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 9:51 pm 

Don't even go there.
Horizons was bought by a former employee that has a passion for the game. Hopefully, it will be around for quite some time.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 11:36 pm 
Site Admin

I would agree that Eve is an extremely solid game. Much different from your average MMO, or even average game for that matter. You can very literally 'do' anything you want ingame.

I would give this game a rating of 'must play' for any MMO gamer. Atleast for the 14day trial.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 3:31 am 

this is a great game, just take some time to get out of the basic mentality of this class only does that, that class only does that... you can be all of them in eve, and thats not unbalanced

but yeah, steep learning curve, ive played for a very long time and i still dont know everything

eve players are also the most extreme ive seen of games, in terms of nice/evil, there are a lot of very nice people out there that will basicly just give you a lot of things, and there are a lot of people out there trying to scam people(mostly in big market systems)

the first few days you should get used to the controls, then id say use the next few days to get some action(which varies based on what you want to do)

really worth a try, i did and i just didnt want to stop after my 14 days

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 11:46 am 

I dont know how to compare it to Horizons because I have not played it.

But EVE is a classis sandbox box.

You got thru the tutorial, then you are in the game, what you do is entirely up to you.

No predetermined quest paths necessary for advancement, Its an entirely skills based system, and training continues in real time whether online or logged out.

I mined to make money

I have missioned to make money, and gain status with NPC factions because that gives you better refining for mining above, as well as other rewards.

I have a budding trading career going, litterally buying low and selling high. I started with 40 million about two weeks ago and now have 250 million.

I have explored and found hidden sites for money, kind of like finding buried treasure.

I have mined, and made the ore into minerals, and taken the minerals and made them into ship ammo, modules, and actual ships for my own use and to sell at a profit.

I have PvP'ed just because its fun to defend your territory, and fight others who would take it from you.

I have set up and managed POS' (personal owned space stations) that are used for mining, refining, and defense.

I have killed "rats" NPC ships for bounties and loot drops.

I have participated in two major invasions of others territory, for purposes of conquest, and to get my alliance "better space".

I am sure there are a couple of things Im missing, but the game is wide open, diverse, and the closest thing out there to star wars pre cu in game play. Just no avatars on planet, well not yet. Everything right now is in a space ship. Although avatars inside space stations are coming soon.

Its a great game, and Im really surprised it didn't catch on with Avian.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 12:48 pm 
Spammer

i was really getting interested in the npc type trading and was progressing well i nthat area. The thing that turned me off is that eventually, I understood that 95%+ of the wealth was determined in the first 15 minutes once the servers came back online after 6am EST. After that all the big contracts were sold out.

when I couldn't consistently make that committment with such a severe restriction, I lost interest in the game. I had jumped form about 3 million ISK to over 200 ISK in a reasonable period of time. I would have to log into the game in evening to move my purchases around to potential selling spaceports. Got kileld a couyple times which setme back some ISK, but eventually, I quickly made it up and learned when to travel.

Just too many dependancies for open ended fun for me :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 1:04 pm 

I went from 40 mill to 200 mill in about two weeks and basicallly never left Jita ;) Once I went to another high sec system to buy some really low priced modules, but that was about it. Updating your market orders in the morning are good but not absolutely necessary for continued success.
Some days I update them, some days I didn't but I eventually sold all my inventory anyway. Im taking a break right now unless I find something good with a big delta in buy-sell

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 4:42 am 

you dont have to get up early to check your market orders, i have a few market orders out there(about 50) and every night i get at least 2 million more, no maintainance needed

i dont even go back to secure space, and just a while ago, ive hit a really nice amount of stuff, found 10 complexes for a lot of cash all in the same place, just that alone got me 50mil in cash and probably 300-400mil in loot

cash without jita lagg: 0.0 space, and its just great to loot the pvp wrecks those hostiles leave behind

so im currently playing as open-ended as possable, and i have no commitment to anything long term, and am completely independant, try it :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2008 9:53 pm 
Spammer

still holds my interest...especially given the time-based learning allows me to take breaks from the game and not feel like i'm "falling behind" or missing out too much (except on alliance goings-on)...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 12:37 pm 
Site Admin

dbakke wrote:
still holds my interest...especially given the time-based learning allows me to take breaks from the game and not feel like i'm "falling behind" or missing out too much (except on alliance goings-on)...

Honestly that was one of my favorite things. I knew I could log in for 10min every few days and just set my new skills even if I didn't have time to play.

All in all Eve is just fantastic. A true revolution(evolution?) in MMORPGs. In the end I stopped playing but not because of the game but because of RL time.

I had two accounts and just loved logging in going into 0.0 with my savager ship and picking up the leavings of past battles. Yeah I lost ships and was killed/forced to run many time, but isn't that the point? Very enjoyable game.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 9:22 am 
Spammer

I'm going to post this as a separate thread as well because I feel it is a great, great article that explains what EVE is about. It doesn't go into how to play the game, but I think really gives a good perspective on what EVE is...

http://www.roaringshrimp.com/scratchpad_docs/EOPolitics_DraftVersion1.pdf