Avian Gamers Network

Forum
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:59 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2008 12:40 pm 
Site Admin

So how is the game so far?

I’m in the freaking desert, and cant play it... my only form of news is the podcasts I download. All my gaming podcasts are saying AoC had one of the most successful MMO releases. I’ve seen a lot of clips of the game, but I’m curious as to how much fun you guys are having.

How is the resource gathering/Crafting side of the game?
What about missions and story line?
How is the multiplayer teamwork?
Are the classes fun and different from each other?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 8:06 pm 

I haven't gotten very far, but I like:

* The combat... very cool system. Reminds my fiancee of Guild Wars in some ways, and I tend to agree. But it also has it's own charms, as well. Basically, you have different sorts of angles you can attack from, then certain attacks require you to hit the button for that attack, followed immediately by a corresponding angle for the "combo" attack to work. It makes combat feel more like you're doing something, rather than hitting an autoattack button and pushing the odd special on top of it, like other games.

* I also love the look of the game. Even in lo-res it's quite pretty.

* Storyline-wise, a lot of work has gone into it. Voice acting is passable, and there are multiple options when talking to most NPCs, giving it a real sort of solo RPG flavour. Instances blend seamlessly with the wider game, giving you a good experience and not having everything camped to hell.

* The classes are ALL really exciting. You could pick a class at random and have a really great time. They've put a lot of thought and effort into making all of them interesting and fun to play. I play a Guardian as my main which is, theoretically, a tank. Yet he can dish out some serious damage, unlike his Guardian/Paladin cousins in games like LotRO and EQ2.

I'm really enjoying it. A heavy system is required, however.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 11:15 am 
Spammer

I agree with what blur mentions. Kinda nice to have voice overs even for quest text. The sense of immersion is much higher.

I have also posted some of my early impressions here (note that I have an update posted later in the thread as well):
http://avian-gamers.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=18692

While there are still bugs kicking around, I have not experienced any in my play time that are game breaking. All in all I think it is a fun game and I will likely keep playing past the freebie month.