Avian Gamers Network

Forum
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 3:39 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 185 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2009 9:41 am 
n00b 4 3v3r

There's a new Republic class announced: The Trooper.

Everything I've seen about this game so far (and I made the effort over the last few days to read through all the news articles and blogs) tells me it's going to be a fantastic game. I'm getting quite excited about it.

Pathfinder Kingmaker Campaign:
Gednan Malithanar - Wizard (1)
Dukin Thunderstrike - Ranger (1)

Star Citizen: - https://www.robertsspaceindustries.com/
AntanKarmola on their forums

Star Wars: The Old Republic: - Not really playing
Antare Karmola - Jedi Guardian (32)
Antan Karmola - Jedi Shadow (21)
Arianae Karmola - Gunslinger (20)

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 7:05 pm 
Spammer

X2-PB wrote:
There's a new Republic class announced: The Trooper.

Everything I've seen about this game so far (and I made the effort over the last few days to read through all the news articles and blogs) tells me it's going to be a fantastic game. I'm getting quite excited about it.

It sounds fantastic indeed. I'll definitely give it a shot.

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 7:09 am 
n00b 4 3v3r

Interestingly, by the looks of it (if you look at the classes list), they haven't officially revealed either the jedi or the sith class yet!!

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2009 11:50 am 
Spammer

I don't think there ARE jedi or sith classes. I think from what limited knowledge I have of this game, all the players have the choice of going jedi or sith. Is that not correct?

"Perhaps the sentiments contained in the following pages, are not yet sufficiently fashionable to procure them general favor; a long habit of not thinking a thing wrong, gives it a superficial appearance of being right, and raises at first a formidable outcry in defence of custom. But the tumult soon subsides." - Thomas Paine, Common Sense

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2009 3:33 pm 
n00b 4 3v3r

Not as I understand it as it seems like there is going to be a number of non-jedi/sith classes. The two sides of the conflict are Republic and Sith Empire rather than Jedi and Sith.

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2009 4:30 pm 
Spammer

X2-PB wrote:
Not as I understand it as it seems like there is going to be a number of non-jedi/sith classes. The two sides of the conflict are Republic and Sith Empire rather than Jedi and Sith.

This is how I understand the "factions" as well. I think there will be jedi/sith force sensitive classes and non-force sensitive classes (e.g the Trooper and Bounty Hunter as already announced).

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 11:53 am 
Site Admin

From the looks of this the smuggler or even Mandalorian have a good shot at being announced as classes soon.
http://swtor.com/info/timeline/mandalor ... ade-broken

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 12:10 am 
Site Admin

Sweet cinematic trailer up now as well, if you haven't seen that.
http://www.swtor.com/media/trailers/dec ... ic-trailer

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 1:49 pm 
Spammer

That trailer was unveiled at the EA Press Conference at E3. Fricken amazing stuff. Gives me high hopes for the game.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 2:37 pm 

I definately plan on taking a look at it and playing it when it comes out. I am hoping they provide more info on the crafting soon though.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 12:50 pm 
Site Admin

wow that trailer is sweet!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 12:04 am 

A good E3 interview
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TxC_5Jlddek
:boba:

WoW - Fire Mage - RETIRED | SWG - Weaponsmith - RETIRED
MMOGGLER™ for online gamers

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 2:59 pm 
Spammer

I like the sounds of the smuggler class (based on my read of the class write up on the official website). Interesting combat abilities too.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 9:59 am 
n00b 4 3v3r

There was a 6-page preview in PCGamer UK this month. Bioware actually have a playable version up and running now and were demonstrating it at E3, as some of you have written above. It all looks awesome and incorporates virtually everything that I would like to see in an MMORPG. It's also story-driven, a la KotOR which is something that I've felt has been really lacking in MMOs so far.

I'll see if I can scan the article and make it available for those that want to read it.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2009 11:11 am 
Spammer

X2-PB wrote:
I'll see if I can scan the article and make it available for those that want to read it.

That would be awesome :)

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2009 1:33 am 
Site Admin

Deak, that interview was nice, thanks.

The guys on one of my podcasts were getting excited about this game. I'm trying not to get too worked up about it until it gets closer, it looks like they are doing great things with the class quests.

I just hope the auction house, loot, crafting aspects work out. Those seem to be overlooked and under realized by most developers. Please post if you know or uncover anything about these elements of the game.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2009 6:41 pm 
n00b 4 3v3r

Flyoc wrote:
X2-PB wrote:

That would be awesome :)

Ok, I'll see if I can get it scanned next weekend. I'll upload it somewhere and put access details in a thread in the private forum.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2009 1:16 am 
Site Admin

Awesome! Thanks X2

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 11:02 am 
Spammer

New Dev video regarding the voice-over in the game:

http://www.swtor.com/news/article/20090717_002

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 7:27 pm 

Is it too early to say that I think this game is MMO2.0

WoW - Fire Mage - RETIRED | SWG - Weaponsmith - RETIRED
MMOGGLER™ for online gamers

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 10:57 am 

Deak Almar wrote:
Is it too early to say that I think this game is MMO2.0

Probably, but it does look good, and looks better each time they release new info.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 11:01 am 

Still waiting for crafter info here, subscribed to a few podcasts on the MMO and visit the site occasionally but havent seen or heard anything yet.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2009 6:08 am 
Site Admin

Daishus, do you recommend a particular podcast for TOR?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2009 10:09 am 
Site Admin

the dev team will be at Comic-con Int and holding a panel. Not sure if any ground shaking news will come out of it but will be interesting to follow.
http://www.swtor.com/news/article/20090626_001

As for me, I am soaking up all I can on the game. The videos have been amazing and the lore on the mandos is really peaking my interest. Looking like Mando and smugglers will play an important role in this game beyond the sith/republic jedi.

Agree on no word on crafting yet but the ingame footage from the last dev video makes the word look much like old SWG - which makes me happy. Probably still 18+ months away from a beta so not investing to much time other than follwoing the dev blogs and videos via twitter.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2009 12:44 pm 

Cyrus Rex wrote:
Daishus, do you recommend a particular podcast for TOR?

Not really ATM, The best quality one seems to be The Holocron put out by some folks at d20 radio http://www.d20radio.com

The other 2 I have so far are are The Darkside Podcast http://thedarkside.podbean.com/ and TOROCast http://torocast.podbean.com// these 2 are put out by different people but consider themselves sister podcasts and both can be found at http://www.theoldrepublic-online.com/

Since there still isnt alot of information out there most is just chatting about possibilities and what they would like to see.

Found We Dont Serve Droids http://wdsd.podbean.com/ and Mos Eisley Radio http://moseisleyradio.com/ but have not had a chance to listen to them yet.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2009 12:37 am 
Site Admin

Any idea whether this game will have much for guilds to do? I ask because in SWG we had very large tasks such as build the guild hall, and build our city. In WoW guilds have much less to do except raid. Will TOR be more like WoW or more like SWG?

With the very little I know about TOR, I get the feeling it is a single player game in a MMO world. I will still play that, I was just wondering what guild involvement will be like. Tell me what you know about TOR Guilds.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2009 12:50 am 

From the Guild Hall portion of their forums. Basically we dont know alot yet.

What We Know

General Info:
Player formed Guilds will be available in SW:TOR. As this post is in the 'Guild Hall' portion of the official forums I think its pretty much a given that players will be able to create guilds in the game.

What We Can Expect

General Info:
Guilds will be able to name their own Guilds, typically Guild names will be permitted to be a set number of characters long.
You will not be able to have mixed Guilds of both Galactic Republic and Sith Empire classes. When starting the game each player must select their Faction; Galactic Republic or Sith Empire, each Faction has four classes to choose from. As the forums are split between 'Galactic Republic' and 'Sith Empire' and no 'Mixed' then you can presume the divide will be made.

As well as this point, the DEVs have also made it very clear when discussing aspects of people being forced to 'choose a side' in relation to what were seen as neutral classes (Bounty Hunter and Smuggler), which may further encourage this seperattion.
From a post made by Sean Dahlberg (http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=33983) on MMORPG.com he talks about the continual evolution of Guilds in MMOs and the features they should have. Making mention of more advanced Guild Bank/Vaults, options for automatic paymens of member subs (eg. you pay 100cr per week from your bank straight into the guild bank automatically) or guild members wages (members getting paid by the Guild in game credits). Also mention of in game Guild Calendars to help organize events and raids. Though it was just an article it holds promise that the DEVs may at least be trying something different with TOR.

What We Don't Know

As every game does things differently you will find more points in 'What We Don't Know' than 'What We Can Expect'. What may have been available in one MMO may not have always been available in another, and so until there is confirmation most items will be placed in this section.

General Info:
How you start a guild
Direct benefits to Questing/PvP/PvE Raiding if in a guild
The construction of Guild Halls/Town (seen in Star Wars Galaxies, but not seen in World of Warcraft, Age of Conan)
The creation of guild uniforms/tabards
How guild information will be displayed in game eg. guild names, guild abbreviations (though typically you can expect it to be displayed over your avatars head)
Resources/Guild Management for guilds eg. ranks, guild bank, in game announcements.
Whether or not 'Guild Warring' will be available (available in Ultima Online & Star Wars Galaxies, not available in World of Warcraft & Age of Conan).

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 3:10 pm 

SO what does this mean for "neutral characters"?

Does that mean there will be no suck thing?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 7:01 pm 
Spammer

I guess people even as a BH or smuggler to some degree had to choose a side. If you collected a bounty on a sith's head you would expect to be Kill on sight to any siths unless there was a really damn good reason for them not to.

Smugglers are able to ride that line much easier.

We are all use to the Post clone wars line ala SWG where there was really only one major power, making it much easier to be neutral and ride that grey line ala Fett et al. But when two factions are warring you kind of have to pick a side, because working for one will often mean working very directly against another.

To put it a different way, was Fett really a neutral bounty hunter? No he was a good bounty hunter who took many commissions for the Empire and others, but how often did he take bounties that involved capturing a ranking Imperial?

Guess to me the idea of being neutral as a BH doesn't seem practical or very feesible. Freelancing and being neutral are very different things. Smuggler is another story, but to allow neutral guilds just so the smugglers have somewhere to go? Of Course I do suppose that the neutral option also allows a opt out of pvp option in terms of gameplay... so theres a question, can you opt out of pvp? and if so how, when and why?

Former Head of Department of the Treasury
-------
Ask not what your PA can do for you, but what you can do for your PA
"Gone Section Five"

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 8:48 pm 

The videos of the GC 2009 Game Walkthrough is up (broken up into 4 parts). The video shows off the voice acting along with Sith, Bounty Hunter, and Smuggler classes, but no Trooper action :( After watching the video there are things I thought were very cool like the Sith gameplay and voice acting while others need to be improved like the Smuggler combat mechanics.

http://media.pc.ign.com/media/816/816935/vids_1.html

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 7:08 am 
Site Admin

I think it looked very good, and I liked the sound of the blasters.

Somewhere before seeing these videos I read about the instance aboard the ship where the Sith and Bounty Hunter chose to kill the captain. If they would have chosen to keep the captain alive he would have targeted and destroyed the incoming pods resulting in less boarding party fighting on the way to the Boss battle with the Jedi. By choosing to kill the captain the players had to rely on the crew who were less experienced and thought the pods were just a distraction. As a result the boarding parties had infiltrated the ship resulting a much more fighting. Interesting how the choices you make really affect the game.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 6:03 pm 
Spammer

Just watched the vids. Loved what I saw. Naturally I still have questions about how grouping works (ie will there be the 5-man WoW-esque dungeon crawling, etc.), but that combat looked damn tight. Well, at least the Sith Warrior stuff.

Very, very promising thus far.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2009 8:41 am 
n00b 4 3v3r

As promised:

http://www.avian-gamers.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=19893

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2009 8:01 pm 

I just saw the Cinematic trailer in HD (the net up here s***s - sorry) and I just thought: "Forget the game. Make the movie!"

I know it isn't gameplay movie, but for crying out loud if they can make a trailer like that how come "The Clone War" series looks so cartoonish...

Give the older fans a little credit. We wanna see serious Jedi/Republic vs. Sith/Empire battle with lots of violence and killing...

Anyway I am still looking forward for TOR. Even though it won't be the SW:G of old... it will an entertaining piece of SW gaming if BioWare keeps their promises.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 12:23 pm 
Spammer

Thanks for the link X2. I'll take a read shortly.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 2:25 pm 
n00b 4 3v3r

Angelus wrote:
Thanks for the link X2. I'll take a read shortly.
Let me know if you have any problems accessing it.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 4:35 pm 
Spammer

Thanks X2 for the scans, nothing really new about the game but quite about the dev team.
I can't wait for this game ! I hope it will Avian Gamers will be revived to what is was upong SWG launch !

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 8:35 pm 

Flyoc wrote:
Thanks X2 for the scans, nothing really new about the game but quite about the dev team.
I can't wait for this game ! I hope it will Avian Gamers will be revived to what is was upong SWG launch !

I don't really see Avian ever getting back to SWG launch status...BUT...it would be fun to have everyone on the forum (15ish? people) all in the same game.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 6:21 am 

Cordalis wrote:
Flyoc wrote:

I don't really see Avian ever getting back to SWG launch status...BUT...it would be fun to have everyone on the forum (15ish? people) all in the same game.

When is the game released?
I ask since I am no longer suffering the poverty of youth, but rather the desperate money grabbing of young adult (yuppie)...

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 9:35 am 
n00b 4 3v3r

Azzameen85 wrote:
Cordalis wrote:
Flyoc wrote:
When is the game released?
I ask since I am no longer suffering the poverty of youth, but rather the desperate money grabbing of young adult (yuppie)...
I think the current state of play is that the game will be released when it's ready (barring LA feeling that they're a little short of money, but hopefully they've learnt that lesson by now!). I suspect the release date is still probably a couple of years off yet.

The only issues I see with Avian getting involved is that I've seen nothing relating to crafting yet and my hopes aren't high in that respect. However, other than that, as I've said before, this game contains within it practically everything that I've wanted to see in an MMO for years so I will almost certainly be playing it!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 185 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next