Avian Gamers Network

Forum
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 10:11 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 185 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 11:18 am 
Spammer

Quote:
Update: Shacknews has updated its story to state "no statements have been made about the Star Wars business model," and attributing Mr. Riccitiello's comments to a misunderstanding. For the time being, then, this appears to be unsubstantiated information.

Sites has been updated.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 1:49 pm 
Site Admin

spent some time on the swtor boards last night. This game is really exciting. between the PC Gamer article and the articles on their website (http://swtor.com/news/article) I think this game has massive potential.
The concentration on story as one of the '4 pillars' of the game shoudl prove very interesting. One of the thinks I loved about WotLK is how immersive the story was.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 1:52 pm 
Site Admin

http://swtor.com/news/article/20081211_001
Quote:
LucasArts and BioWare today announced that the first video documentary for Star Wars™: The Old Republic™ will be posted on the game’s official website on Friday, December 12. The video gives an overview of the upcoming story-driven massively multiplayer online PC game set in the timeframe of the Star Wars™: Knights of the Old Republic™ franchise and provides the public with its first look at in-game footage.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 4:28 pm 
Spammer

GodOfGophers wrote:
Here's a link the an article I saw on Massively talking about how the fees for the game will work.

Apparently, the MMO won't be subscription based, but will generate revenue from micropayments.

There's not a lot of details available but here's the link
http://www.massively.com/2008/12/09/star-wars-the-old-republic-to-be-microtransaction-based/

I find myself very weary of something like this...

so I guess he was talking out of his "you-know-what" again. According to Bioware the Revenue Model has not been decided yet.

DDO - Cannith - AlistairItor - Rogue/Ranger (5/3) - Main
DDO - Cannith - Guijanitor - Paladin/Rogue (4/1)
DDO - Cannith - RicochetItor - Rogue (5)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 7:29 pm 
Spammer

Gameplay footage is up:

http://www.swtor.com/media/vidcasts/viddoc001?sourceid=ea2829

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 11:57 am 

Master Gui-Jan wrote:
GodOfGophers wrote:
Here's a link the an article I saw on Massively talking about how the fees for the game will work.

Apparently, the MMO won't be subscription based, but will generate revenue from micropayments.

There's not a lot of details available but here's the link
http://www.massively.com/2008/12/09/star-wars-the-old-republic-to-be-microtransaction-based/

I find myself very weary of something like this...

so I guess he was talking out of his "you-know-what" again. According to Bioware the Revenue Model has not been decided yet.

He was also talking out of his "you-know-what" when he slipped up and mentioned that the MMO they were working on was Star Wars back at E3 before it was officially announced. So I would take that to heart.

I just don't know if microtransactions will ever fly over here, at least on the scale of Asian markets.

My biggest gripe about micro-transactions is that they effectively eliminate a player crafter market. Who wants to wait around and try to find some max damage weapon when they can go down to WalMart and get a booster pack and have THE best.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2008 11:16 am 

Micro purchases for this MMO??

I am really beginning to worry about it then :(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 2:02 pm 

Aranarth wrote:

Until I hear or see anything about the game that isn't Jedi-centric, this game remains barely registering on the interest-o-meter. I'm starting to wonder if MMO's are dead going forward from WoW. Everyone wants the "WoW killer" but I'm wondering if WoW was the MMORPG killer? All these attempts at capturing what WoW has while not improving on the "lowest common denominator" theme MMORPG's seem to strive for.....I dunno... continual disappointment seems to be the flavor of the years.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 8:54 pm 

Tetran wrote:
Aranarth wrote:

Until I hear or see anything about the game that isn't Jedi-centric, this game remains barely registering on the interest-o-meter. I'm starting to wonder if MMO's are dead going forward from WoW. Everyone wants the "WoW killer" but I'm wondering if WoW was the MMORPG killer? All these attempts at capturing what WoW has while not improving on the "lowest common denominator" theme MMORPG's seem to strive for.....I dunno... continual disappointment seems to be the flavor of the years.

Ya its freaking scary, I have had people tell me at another site that unless a game is like WoW (Themepark based vice sandbox like SWG pre CU or EVE) its not really an MMO.

And games like LOTRO are SOO MUCH BETTER than WoW.

Those games might be better, but its essentially the same game. Knowing that a better part of the audience out there probably feels the same way, doesn't bode well for the future of MMO's, thats for sure.

And from what I have been reading this sounds like WoW in a Star Wars setting with a really great storyline. And instead of choosing the Horde up front, you choose nothing but follow a storyline arc to get there.

Which is fine, that will probably be even fun for a while, but after a few months, Ill probably be looking for the next game.

Forever hoping.........................

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 11:53 am 
Spammer

Bioware still has never disappointed me so I am willing to give them the benefit of the doubt at this point, even it is described by some as WoW in the SW universe.

I have faith that the good doctors will work their magic again.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 1:45 pm 
Spammer

Angelus wrote:
Bioware still has never disappointed me so I am willing to give them the benefit of the doubt at this point, even it is described by some as WoW in the SW universe.

I agree with you on that. I have a lot of faith in Bioware. I have a lot of faith in Blizzard as well. So far neither have disappointed me. People have to listen to what they are saying on Official Channels and not expect that information to change much.

If people are expecting this game to not be focused on Jedi then of course they are going to be disappointed, but it won't be Biowares fault.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 2:14 pm 

Master Gui-Jan wrote:
Angelus wrote:

I agree with you on that. I have a lot of faith in Bioware. I have a lot of faith in Blizzard as well. So far neither have disappointed me. People have to listen to what they are saying on Official Channels and not expect that information to change much.

If people are expecting this game to not be focused on Jedi then of course they are going to be disappointed, but it won't be Biowares fault.

If it's nothing but Jedi, where's the group dynamics? Where's the interdependencies that bring people to play together? Where's the variety? That's also probably the reason why they're giving you NPC characters you can group with and level along side with, because it's sounding more and more like a single player RPG with an MMO lobby.

I just hope more info comes out. But as far as following official channels go, just about all info on this game has come from unofficial channels thus far and has largely proven to be accurate despite what the PR robots at Bioware say when it's leaked. They've done a horrible job at managing information on this. Having secrets and surprises is one thing, but when the big cat is clearly out of the bag, what's the point in slowly leaking details about what to expect?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 4:58 pm 
n00b 4 3v3r

There was an excellent preview on it in PC Gamer. Couldn't actually find that online so the links below are the two parts of a preview in PC Zone. I haven't actually read them yet, but they may be a bit more enlightening.

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=200889
http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=201265

Pathfinder Kingmaker Campaign:
Gednan Malithanar - Wizard (1)
Dukin Thunderstrike - Ranger (1)

Star Citizen: - https://www.robertsspaceindustries.com/
AntanKarmola on their forums

Star Wars: The Old Republic: - Not really playing
Antare Karmola - Jedi Guardian (32)
Antan Karmola - Jedi Shadow (21)
Arianae Karmola - Gunslinger (20)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2008 5:29 pm 
Site Admin

X2-PB wrote:
There was an excellent preview on it in PC Gamer. Couldn't actually find that online so the links below are the two parts of a preview in PC Zone. I haven't actually read them yet, but they may be a bit more enlightening.

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=200889
http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=201265

I will second that the PC Gamer article was excellent. 4-5 pages and lots of great info. Worth picking up this months copy at the newsstand.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 9:17 pm 

Aranarth wrote:
Ya its freaking scary, I have had people tell me at another site that unless a game is like WoW (Themepark based vice sandbox like SWG pre CU or EVE) its not really an MMO.

Don't see why people wouldn't be accepting of a themepark in a sandbox.

WoW - Fire Mage - RETIRED | SWG - Weaponsmith - RETIRED
MMOGGLER™ for online gamers

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 10:27 am 
Site Admin

My favorite thing about SWG -WAS- the themeparks. If they had themepark leveling I would have much more enjoyed that game.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 2:45 pm 

Deak Almar wrote:
Aranarth wrote:

Don't see why people wouldn't be accepting of a themepark in a sandbox.

How could you have a themepark within a sandbox?

You guys do know what Im talking about correct?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 4:36 pm 
Spammer

I think the two styles can be melded into a hybrid. SWG suffered from an inability to meld... they gave us a only a sandbox, the themepark and other GCW features were neutered since day 1. Being able to sandbox it and then follow story lines etc themepark style and vice versa. Only being able to repeat dungeons gets old fast... being able to build a city, a business etc is fun and repeatable.

Guild wars is my favorite MMORPG right now and has been for awhile...its pure themepark. there are guild halls which are instanced for each guild and but theirs no secondary/merchant class really capable of thriving. If guild halls were more customizable and there was a possible merchant class the game would only get better with these secondary playstyle options

The major thing every MMORPG has lack since star wars is the same sense of community that being able to have legitimate guild halls, and cities, housing etc all provided.

Former Head of Department of the Treasury
-------
Ask not what your PA can do for you, but what you can do for your PA
"Gone Section Five"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 7:48 pm 
Site Admin

http://www.swtor.com/media/vidcasts/dev ... eid=ea3016

New video posted. It looks amazing and walking through the starter world. The one downside is that it all but confirms that this will be an all jedi all the time game as the starter worlds quests are designed as a jedi training ground.

Still, the visuals in this game look amazing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 1:06 am 
Spammer

looks to be coming along, at least as far as the engine and they seem to be starting to add content which is good.

Graphics look decent for this stage, the Nexu they show's fur looks to matted and not fur-esque. Graphics are a bit of the wow/modern realistic plastic cartoonish variety. Not sure if I like it or not yet

I saw some screens on gamespot showing enemies with guns, be interesting to see the weapon variety. Game just as a feeling I get is that its going to be very storyline, quest theme park based as opposed to sandbox.

-------
"Gone Section Five"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 10:13 am 

iJasonT wrote:
http://www.swtor.com/media/vidcasts/devdispatch001?sourceid=ea3016

New video posted. It looks amazing and walking through the starter world. The one downside is that it all but confirms that this will be an all jedi all the time game as the starter worlds quests are designed as a jedi training ground.

I hope there's more to it than being a Jedi. Being a bounty hunter or pilot is much more appealing to many I'm sure.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 10:20 am 

If being a Jedi as the only choice appeals to the masses...then, that which we already know is confirmed once again....the masses are morons. :cry: :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 10:23 am 

Well they did say that they would aim for a style in between realistic and cartoonish... So it is on purpose they are doing it. (Or they couldn't make it realistic enough so they are giving an excuse *Grins*)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 10:50 am 
Spammer

GodOfGophers wrote:
iJasonT wrote:
http://www.swtor.com/media/vidcasts/devdispatch001?sourceid=ea3016

I hope there's more to it than being a Jedi. Being a bounty hunter or pilot is much more appealing to many I'm sure.

interesting you point that out, but it will be interesting if it contains some Space sim ala JTLS. Personally I see that as a must have in a SW universe, it adds sooo much. But it also depends on their engine and time so it may be a dreaded expansion...but still a good point

-------
"Gone Section Five"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 1:37 pm 
Site Admin

I have little doubt there will be a pilot class or sub class. My primary fear that that there will be no other primary class other than jedi light/dark. I do hope they have bounty hunters etc. We also need to remember that this is before the clone wars so there is no formal war or hunting of jedi yet, thus lessening the chances of BH/Jedi conflict.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 2:11 pm 

Since this is set in the time frame of KOTOR; I really hope that there is interaction with NPC from the previous games....

it takes place only 300yrs after the 2nd KOTOR

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Knights_of ... Republic_3

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 10:22 am 

Personally I don't the fact that they are chaging Some of the fundamentals of Star Wars lore...

Tethon??? The Founding place for the Jedi?
Honestly couln't they just have Caamas as a starting place with caamasi as instructors in the philosofies of light and dark? And some sneaky guy wandering around making temptations to the dark side?

Anything but making a new world for a training ground.
Ossus, the Jedi library/academy.
Exis Station
Caamas, as mentioneed before
Alderaan
Corelia (The corellian jedi were notorious for being different than the rest of the jedi order. Although question is if this is due to the post-ruusan reformation or what not, but a jedi training place could be there)

Anything but making up a new place that shakes the foundation of the establised C-canon

*Checks wallet*
Got a cent
/throw
*clink*

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 6:30 am 
Site Admin

Apparently Tython has been around awhile.

Appearances:
Shadows and Light (Mentioned only)
Star Wars: The Old Republic
Darth Bane: Rule of Two (First appearance)
Coruscant Nights III: Patterns of Force (Mentioned only)
Star Wars: Rebellion (video game)

Sources:
Power of the Jedi Sourcebook (First mentioned)
The New Essential Chronology
The New Essential Guide to Droids
Dark Horse Star Wars Galaxy Map
Jedi vs. Sith: The Essential Guide to the Force

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 1:10 pm 
Spammer

The new vid looked quite nice I thought. Loved the forest stuff.

Even if it is all jedi I will not complain too much as long as there is big variety in them. i.e very deep force/saber/other skill trees (to provide an analogy to WoW's system but you get the point). As long as one jedi can do something vastly different than another I don't mind there being lots of them.

That being said, I would still love the non-jedi, gun toting, characters to be in (smuggler kinda thing).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 10:23 pm 

Cyrus Rex wrote:
Apparently Tython has been around awhile.

Appearances:
Shadows and Light (Mentioned only)
Darth Bane: Rule of Two (First appearance)
Coruscant Nights III: Patterns of Force (Mentioned only)
Star Wars: Rebellion (video game)

Sources:
Power of the Jedi Sourcebook (First mentioned)
The New Essential Chronology
The New Essential Guide to Droids
Dark Horse Star Wars Galaxy Map
Jedi vs. Sith: The Essential Guide to the Force

Except for Darth Bane: Rule of Two it has a pretty unremarkable history in EU.

Most of the info about Tython actually comes from the Roleplaying sourcebooks which have a lower canon status than the books, abliet only slightly.

My point was that it changes many aspect of the jedi history and how it was founded.
While the 'Ashla' and 'Bogan' part of the canon are identical to establised canon fact is that the founding of the Jedi order has now been moved to a place which is know to have been a sith stronghold between 3500 BBY and 1500 BBY... (while this is only speculation, sith have traveled to Tython a number of times after 2000 BBY)...

Just went geek for a sec there....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 4:34 pm 
Spammer

I'm pretty sure they will include Non-Jedi Player Chars in the game. Most likely Mandalorians....

www.beskar.net

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 10:19 pm 
Spammer

Master Gui-Jan wrote:
I'm pretty sure they will include Non-Jedi Player Chars in the game. Most likely Mandalorians....

www.beskar.net

Awww thats cute...they are like us back before SWG... just wait till all their dreams and expectations are crushed! :lol:

-------
"Gone Section Five"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 11:14 am 

Dragon Fire wrote:
Master Gui-Jan wrote:

www.beskar.net

Awww thats cute...they are like us back before SWG... just wait till all their dreams and expectations are crushed! :lol:

That's nasty even from you DF...

But yes it is awfully cute.
Which remind me that I have gotten older...

I was looking at the site and was anoyed of how difficult it was to read the headlines. But nice design.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2009 10:55 am 
Spammer

First class released: the Bounty Hunter

http://www.swtor.com/info/classes/bounty-hunter?sourceid=ea3254

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2009 10:11 pm 
Site Admin

love the look of the BH line.
Be sure to check out http://swtor.com/media/trailers/video-documentary-2 as well as it covered the general plot line of the game. It also hints to 'several' other professions.

So far, this game is a must play for me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 4:20 am 
Site Admin

Awesome information, thanks!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 12:05 pm 
Site Admin

This is a game that is really peaking my interest. I have come to terms with the fact that this will be a jedi focused game but I am hopefully optimistic that there will be other fully balanced classes as well.

BioWare is smart and they are trying to make a world class MMO so they (I hope) clearly understand that a lot of MMO powerplayers are not always interested in core classes (Hunters, Warriors etc) but rather support roles (healers, crafters etc). Unless they are trying to make a Guild Wars, which I'm sure they are not.

If the other classes round out nicely I could really get into this game. I just need assurances from BioWare that this will not be a tweaker-jedi game only but a fully featured and well rounded MMO experience.

I am excited for the possibilities and while I will miss some of the classic cannon stuff from SWG I think I can sink into this new cannon and storyline.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 9:03 pm 

I definately getting my hopes up.

WoW - Fire Mage - RETIRED | SWG - Weaponsmith - RETIRED
MMOGGLER™ for online gamers

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 3:29 pm 
Site Admin

Master Gui-Jan wrote:

www.beskar.net

The new BH armor is all Mando based so I would not be surprised to see an entire story arch for BH's building their mando pieces. In the video they talked about it taking weeks to assemble and afford a good armor set. Could be fun!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2009 9:17 am 
Site Admin

Just watched the first entry into the holocron
http://swtor.com/info/timeline/timeline1

and read the first three webcomics
http://swtor.com/media/webcomic

They have some nice teasers to the Mandalorian blockade and even new classes. I also read the boards a little and I am starting to think that they will in fact have a full featured class system: casters, healers, soldiers etc. In the web comic they feature the soldiers (pre-clone war stormtroopers, not sure their cannon name) for but Republic and Empire. We already know of light and dark jedi and bounty hunters.

My real hope is to play a dark jedi caster. My old SWG jedi was a force power jedi and I loved it. I usually play light side or alliance but for SWTOR I may give in to the dark side. Lightsabers bore me so a caster option would be great.

The boards are just full of speculation with very little dev posts so I am trying to avoid them. Still...it is fun to speculate. The Holocron video was full of great lore and ripe for speculation.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 185 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next