Avian Gamers Network

Forum
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 10:31 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: SWTOR E3 news
PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 9:20 pm 

The New Trailer is out and looks as awesome as Decieved did at last years E3. They anounced that everyone will get their own starship that will you will be able to customize. Sounds like the ship will be your home for storage and other things. Alderan will be the first PVP Battlezone. So far no info on Crafting but hopefully we will get some news on it this week.

Post subject: Re: SWTOR E3 news
PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 11:45 pm 
Site Admin

Great news on the ship. Thanks for the info!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2010 12:02 am 
Spammer

Video was very cool, but I am not a huge fan of CGI/cinematic trailers...real trailers should really show in game footage, especially this far into the development.

http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3179808
http://www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm/load ... ps-and-PvP

Quote:
no way be construed as to be confirmation of traditional space flight and/or combat.

My guess is initially their will be a "starport" like area to access your ship (ala SWG) with no spaceflight. IMHO if spaceflight/dogfighting etc could make it in the initial release they would have said something by now. Besides its SW, the only thing that kept SWG going for awhile was the influx of players/excitement JTLS - why give up the best expansion possible when you can do it later and do it right. Besides it gives players time to focus on the ground game before overwhelming them or having everyone flock to the skies and no one pounding dirt...

I this still being targeted for Spring 2011? I feel like the beta should be rolling within the next couple of months...

Former Head of Department of the Treasury
-------
Ask not what your PA can do for you, but what you can do for your PA
"Gone Section Five"

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2010 1:47 pm 

The Old Republic Live on G4!
Make sure to check out G4’s half-hour blowout on Star Wars: The Old Republic starting at 2pm PT! Adam Sessler, X-Play host and G4’s Editor-In-Chief of Games, plans to deliver a 30-minute all-access coverage of The Old Republic including live game-play.

“Never before have we granted so much time to one game at E3,” said Adam Sessler. “Star Wars: Old Republic is a game of such breadth that the excitement around it and the time we are dedicating to it will have a huge pay-off for the viewers.”

Hopefully we'll get alot of good news.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2010 10:29 pm 

Got this from an interview on massively.com http://www.massively.com/2010/06/15/mas ... and-craft/ one thing I really liked hearing was "What does crafting entail? Is there going to be a lot of crafting, or is it going to be very focused?

The big thing about crafting is that it will support combat in our game and it is very important. We haven't talked much about crafting, but we will in the future. People will be pleased with what we are coming up with for crafting. I think very pleased actually. It will not be to the extent of some of the games out there, like [Star Wars] Galaxies. It will be very similar to what WoW has. But it has some really cool twists that WoW doesn't have that I think people will like."

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 4:34 pm 
Spammer

I hope we'll be able to get a bunch of the old timers back to Avian (myself included) for The Old Republic. I'm looking forward to it.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 5:51 pm 
Spammer

Cetera wrote:
I hope we'll be able to get a bunch of the old timers back to Avian (myself included) for The Old Republic. I'm looking forward to it.

YES !

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2010 9:38 am 
Site Admin

Hey, thanks for the info. My internet sucks here in Kandahar, so these updates and comments are almost all I get. Let me know what they have to say at the G4 SWTOR event.

Floc & Certa, I agree with a big "YES". I am already starting to wonder what Obo's character will look like.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2010 1:42 pm 
Spammer

Cyrus, here's a quick summary of what was covered on G4:

All players will be able to have a ship. They weren't specific as to how you get them, and it almost seems like everyone will get one, no matter what. I don't know if you get one as a new character, or if you have to complete a quest line, or what. They showed off a couple of different styles of ships, and they were big. Not quite capital scale ships, but getting close to a Corellian Corvette like Princess Leia was captured from in A New Hope.

Their plan is to have player ships be a form of transportation, and also function as player houses. You can decorate the interiors, show off loot, have bling, whatever you want. They want player ships to also function as gathering places for friends. They didn't specify as to how that will work, either.

They showed some combat, and it looked good. Lightsabers blocked individual blaster shots, and when lightsabers parried, it looked like the blades made contact. Attacks appear to physically connect with your target, which is pretty nice. I am wondering if that may make melee combat more difficult and have a shorter range that may cause issues with lag, but the demo looked neat.

They showed off a Sith class that was more for support and crowd control, using force lightning, and supposedly can do ranged healing, etc.

The big thing they focused on was the player ships.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2010 5:43 am 
Spammer

Cetera wrote:
All players will be able to have a ship. They weren't specific as to how you get them, and it almost seems like everyone will get one, no matter what. I don't know if you get one as a new character, or if you have to complete a quest line, or what. They showed off a couple of different styles of ships, and they were big. Not quite capital scale ships, but getting close to a Corellian Corvette like Princess Leia was captured from in A New Hope.

Apparently ships will be approximatively the same size of your ship in KotOR and Mass Effect, just to give you an idea...

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2010 5:46 am 
Site Admin

Great info, thanks!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2010 5:01 am 
Spammer

Damn the gang's getting back.

Hi Rob. Tell Deb I said hi.

DF thanks for the update and Cy hope things are well in underthecrochtedthingyistan

Flyoc.....wassssup.............The world is coming to an end the yanks lasted longer than france and italy in the wc.

Cetera, hey long time no hear from.

SWTOR is 3,000 years in the past from SWG who the hell we grouping up to kill?

Good or Evil :twisted:

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2010 5:32 am 
Spammer

moonraker66 wrote:

DF thanks for the update and Cy hope things are well in underthecrochtedthingyistan

Flyoc.....wassssup.............The world is coming to an end the yanks lasted longer than france and italy in the wc.

Why hello there bigZ ! what is up ? what are you up to these days ?

FYI France decided to make the show outside of the field this year ! and they pretty much succeeded :)
Too bad US lost against Ghana though...

Hope you'll join the gang in ToR !

Cheers

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2010 2:36 pm 
Spammer

Hey man! I hope we continue to have folks start to trickle back as The Old Republic gets closer to launch. I'm trying to make it a point to check the forums every day again. There's no activity at the moment, but I want to make sure I'm available to comment on anything and everything to generate some activity and an incentive to stay once people do start checking in again.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2010 4:44 pm 
Spammer

Didn't see it posted above. SW:ToR set to release Spring 2011. Think that was confirmed as part of the G4 coverage.

The G4 footage very much looked to me like it had some WoW elements brought in (tank, healer, dps). I did like how there was ranged tanking as a class/skillset.

I am super stoked for this and cannot wait for a beta.

Spring 2011, the Avian Reunion...

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2010 6:35 pm 

LOL I can't decide what Class I want to start with. At first it was Sith Warrior then I thought maybe Sith Inquisitor, but after seeing the Bounty Hunter Armor progression Video, BH is starting to look good too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RJiTOnsDoJM

lol I'm gonna love being BAD for a lil while.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2010 12:10 pm 

It would seem that once again I am on the other side of people choise of faction...

The defender of light will be ready for the scurge of Sith.

For once I have decided to be playing from day 60 of release day (D-day +60) to be sure that the small bugs inherent of a release are gone.
I then plan to be a Jedi Knight, swinging my blue saber of hope.

On the more serious side of the case, I wonder how it is possible to play as Chiss, 3000 years prior to their chiss empire making contact outside the unknown regions...

While one could argue that there was a number of Chiss on the planet Thule, it was a colony created around 2500 years after the events of TOR.
Just a thught...

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2010 7:53 pm 

Hmmmmmm so that'll give me 60 days head start to make a few Sithies to Teach you to fear the Darkside of the Force...

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2010 2:11 pm 
Spammer

Not sure which side or class I'd like to play first. Guess I better start doing my research. Only about 10 months til release. :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 12:05 am 
Spammer

Flyoc wrote:
moonraker66 wrote:

Why hello there bigZ ! what is up ? what are you up to these days ?

FYI France decided to make the show outside of the field this year ! and they pretty much succeeded :)
Too bad US lost against Ghana though...

Hope you'll join the gang in ToR !

Cheers

Just working (65 hours in 5 days last week, that kind of lazy week must make Cyrus jealous). I'm not sure about joining the gang in SWTOR. I got a year left before no car payments and there's no way I'm getting a new computer (this one is 3.5 years old) before I buy my wife a big screen telly or two. I finally talked her into a DVR for the bedroom, so I can listen to music and play on the computer so I dont have to listen to some of the bullshit shows she watches.

That was also a great move since I have to DVR all the World Cup games since I'm at work. I've been driving her nuts with that.....haha about time she can't stand what I want to watch on TV. Since the US lost to Ghana again, I'm all in for Germany since that's where I have the most ancestors from. I still can't believe FIFA allowed Adidas to fuck with the ball like they did by reducing the weight. IMHO it really made the group round suck because the players didn't know how to strike it, but from the way the ball is moving now you can see the players have adjusted.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 12:06 am 
Spammer

damn hit submit twice must be time for another beer

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 12:27 pm 
n00b 4 3v3r

Well ToR is sounding cooler and cooler. I'm definitely up for that Avian reunion, so long as they don't insist on me upgrading from WinXP! I wonder if they'll be a Linux version ....

Pathfinder Kingmaker Campaign:
Gednan Malithanar - Wizard (1)
Dukin Thunderstrike - Ranger (1)

Star Citizen: - https://www.robertsspaceindustries.com/
AntanKarmola on their forums

Star Wars: The Old Republic: - Not really playing
Antare Karmola - Jedi Guardian (32)
Antan Karmola - Jedi Shadow (21)
Arianae Karmola - Gunslinger (20)

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 3:38 pm 
n00b 4 3v3r

So I've been spending the last couple of days catching up on everything that's been happening with SW:TOR since the last time I checked their site about 8 months ago!

For classes, I shall probably play either the Jedi Knight or Jedi Consular. Both look good. Although, given that each class will have their very own storyline, it's tempting to try them all!

From what I've seen of the player ships, I would guess it would be something like the Ebon Hawk from KotOR in that it's simply a home base for you and your companions, but somewhere where you can also invite your friends.

As someone mentioned above, combat is indeed synchronous. And has anyone mentioned yet that it is FULLY voiced?! PCs and NPCs. Everything.

The only slight concern I have is, given that everything is so story orientated, what happens when you max out and reach the end game? Not that I'd ever get that far mind you!

The great thing about all this story stuff though, is I reckon that grinding will be very much minimised.

EDIT: Interesting blog article: http://www.swtor.com/news/blog/20100402_001

Pathfinder Kingmaker Campaign:
Gednan Malithanar - Wizard (1)
Dukin Thunderstrike - Ranger (1)

Star Citizen: - https://www.robertsspaceindustries.com/
AntanKarmola on their forums

Star Wars: The Old Republic: - Not really playing
Antare Karmola - Jedi Guardian (32)
Antan Karmola - Jedi Shadow (21)
Arianae Karmola - Gunslinger (20)

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 3:51 pm 
Spammer

Cetera wrote:
Hey man! I hope we continue to have folks start to trickle back as The Old Republic gets closer to launch. I'm trying to make it a point to check the forums every day again. There's no activity at the moment, but I want to make sure I'm available to comment on anything and everything to generate some activity and an incentive to stay once people do start checking in again.

Cetera, you still in Lakewood, or just haven't bothered to change your location?

Didn't we have a few other members here in CO?

I'm looking forward to this game as well. Blur has had a Mandalorian PA in place for over a year now and doing a good job of keeping up on the game development. Look for Beskar if you are interested. Pretty sure it's www.beskar.net.

DDO - Cannith - AlistairItor - Rogue/Ranger (5/3) - Main
DDO - Cannith - Guijanitor - Paladin/Rogue (4/1)
DDO - Cannith - RicochetItor - Rogue (5)

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 8:56 pm 
Spammer

Hey, MGJ,

I'm not actually in Lakewood anymore, just a little south in Littleton. Still in the Denver area, though. Working 3-12s, weekends and overnight Mondays, doing IT. Are you down here? We may just have to get together sometime, although it would have to be Tuesday through Friday.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2010 6:41 pm 
Spammer

I live and work in Broomfield. Not too far, especially since I like driving.

We should hang out some time. Once school ends (and my wife is back from Basic) I should have plenty of time.

DDO - Cannith - AlistairItor - Rogue/Ranger (5/3) - Main
DDO - Cannith - Guijanitor - Paladin/Rogue (4/1)
DDO - Cannith - RicochetItor - Rogue (5)

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2010 12:36 am 

Heya everyone-
Like everyone else I'm hoping that this game lives up to expectations.
Hope we have a large group heading in - I'll need the crafting support as a smuggler :)
~D

WoW - Fire Mage - RETIRED | SWG - Weaponsmith - RETIRED
MMOGGLER™ for online gamers