Avian Gamers Network

Forum
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 7:57 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 10:13 am 

Darth Hater revealed some info that was released in Europe. here's the link http://darthhater.com/2010/11/05/swtor- ... -revealed/ I think it will be revealed in more detail on the friday update. I will post more info on it later.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 11:06 am 
Spammer

Breaking news: "No Darth Vader picking flowers on the side of the road"

Warzones
Quote:
Alderaan's Warzone will be an 8 vs. 8, objective-based PvP with a goal of controlling planetary defenses, and provides rewards in the form of tokens and XP [...]players spawn in a drop ship high above the battlefield [...]Your objective as a team is to go down and control anti-aircraft artillery pieces that you literally see turn and fire on the other ship

Quote:
next Warzone will take place on a derelict starship and its mechanics will be completely different from Alderaan's

Crafting
Crafting Table - Tasks we know so far.
Quote:
Using their ship as a base of operations, players will be able to send their companions on crafting tasks, and particular companions excelling at specific duties. [...] This Crew Skill system will be divided into three majors groups: Gathering, Crafting, and Missions. We were given two examples for each major group: Gathering will be comprised of jobs like Bio Analysis and Slicing, Crafting includes Artificer and Bio Chem, and lastly Missions will involve activities such as Diplomacy and Treasure Hunting. [...] All of these crafting activities can be queued up and can continue when players are offline [...] "Only passive companions would assist in crafting," explained Christine. "Pretty much all your active companion can do while out adventuring with you crafting-related is gathering activities.

Former Head of Department of the Treasury
-------
Ask not what your PA can do for you, but what you can do for your PA
"Gone Section Five"

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 11:32 am 
Site Admin

The crafting part is on page 2.

Quote:
Using their ship as a base of operations, players will be able to send their companions on crafting tasks, and particular companions excelling at specific duties.

Quote:
"it is a very robust system, and there are still some details that we haven't revealed yet which I know players are going to be excited about. I will just say there are some mechanics to it that will allow players who are more involved in crafting to really get deeply involved in crafting and be appropriately rewarded for it."

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 8:29 pm 
Spammer

Ok, just drooled a little bit.

DDO - Cannith - AlistairItor - Rogue/Ranger (5/3) - Main
DDO - Cannith - Guijanitor - Paladin/Rogue (4/1)
DDO - Cannith - RicochetItor - Rogue (5)

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 8:40 pm 
Spammer

Let's just hope bio analysis does not consist of only urine samples. Oh, poor companions...

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 5:06 pm 

"...there are some mechanics to it that will allow players who are more involved in crafting to really get deeply involved in crafting and be appropriately rewarded for it."

Sounds like crafting will be an integral part of the game. :yoda:

WoW - Fire Mage - RETIRED | SWG - Weaponsmith - RETIRED
MMOGGLER™ for online gamers

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 1:15 am 

Deak Almar wrote:
"...there are some mechanics to it that will allow players who are more involved in crafting to really get deeply involved in crafting and be appropriately rewarded for it."

I really hope! Other MMORPG's business models tend to be heading towards a micro-transaction system which kills player created content. Let's hope they don't follow chase.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 3:58 pm 
Spammer

Tetran wrote:
Deak Almar wrote:

I really hope! Other MMORPG's business models tend to be heading towards a micro-transaction system which kills player created content. Let's hope they don't follow chase.

Speaking of which, I'd love to see a game like this with a Micro-Transaction system that allows players to sell items in-game for the game-store's cash equivalent, and then give the players the ability to Cash that currency out for real money.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 11:38 am 

Interview: Daniel Erickson on Crew Skills
http://darthhater.com/2010/11/12/daniel ... ew-skills/
The crafting system in Star Wars: The Old Republic we call Crew Skills is something we worked on literally for years trying to solve some of the big puzzles. There are a lot of us who are big crafting fans, including myself, but we really wanted to make sure we preserved some of the core concepts around SWTOR such as you play a hero of Star Wars. You are doing big, heroic, and exciting things. You are not sewing. You are not making shoes. You are not hanging out trying to get some thread together.

We went through a lot of versions of how we work with this, and one of the things we kept coming back to was companion characters. One of the issues with companion characters in past BioWare games has always been that you have a limited set of who you can bring in your party at one time. For most people, they pick the couple of companions they really like, and everybody else ends up back on the ship. These came together into a great kind of synergy for us and became the Crew Skills system, which is a combination of wanting crafting, but we don't want to make your character mundane and we need something for your crew to be doing. So alright, we have a perfect match.

The Crew Skills system is three sections. Gathering is going out and grabbing stuff from the environment and your typical harvesting skills, but with a Star Wars flavor. You're doing bio analysis, actually scanning things, getting DNA sequencing from things, etc. One of the interesting things when we talk about missions is that there are also missions for gathering. I can gather in three ways: I can be right there physically, and I can see something and pick it up. Or I can say, "Hey Vette -- you pick that up and I'm going to do something else" while I keep fighting.

One thing that is really fun is when you're in a combat area that is pretty dangerous, and you're able to distract someone. Let's say there is someone in the area that you couldn't normally kill; you could throw yourself into combat and fight with them to keep them off your companion character while they harvest something you wouldn't normally be able to get... and then run!

And the third way of gathering is... actually, every gathering skill comes with a mission skill for gathering. Let's say I don't have Vette and I have someone else with me; I can actually call back to my ship and say, "Hey Vette! Why don't you go find me some of this material? I don't care where you get it -- just go." So that is gathering. The second part of the Crew Skills is crafting and that is really the traditional crafting system. You have a crafting table which is on your ship. Up to five of your companions can work on it at once. You say to yourself, "I have all the components I need. I now want to make something. But I'm not going to make it -- my companions are going to make it."

Each of your companions has different bonuses to all the Crew Skills, so some of the companions are better at different things and your Affection Rating with them can actually adjust that as well. I look through my stuff and say, "Today I'm taking Companion Number One with me. So Companion Number Two, you're going to work on this thing."

All of the Crew Skills have different timing for them. I'll talk about that more when we talk about Missions because it is important to remember this is not something that you are going to click, wait ten seconds, and then click again. We're not sitting around spamming anything. You're going to make a big item... you're going to do something... it is going to take hours. But you're not impacted by this -- you're going off to do something else. Your companion character though is now hooked up with this.

The third part is the mission system, and this is where it really gets different for us. The mission system is the ability to take several different Crew Skills, and we talked about a couple of them, so I'm going to talk about those but there are a bunch of them and each of them does something different. The two we talked about today were Diplomacy and Treasure Hunting. And this is the ability to say, "I have Diplomacy. I'm going to open up my menu. I'm going to look through my Diplomacy skills." Each one of them is a different story or idea

We're going to say I'm Dark side... what Diplomacy does is get you Light side and Dark side points. It is spreading your influence out in the greater galaxy by your people. I'm playing Dark side, I'm playing an Inquisitor; in my mind I'm already the Emperor. I'm going to take my companion characters and sort of spread my wrath. I find a Diplomacy mission... I look through them... that is a Light side one. I don't want that. Ah, here we go. There is a minor governor of a smaller system that is refusing to capitulate to the Empire. I'm going to call Kim Vaal. I'm going to say, "Hey Dashade, why don't you go, um... convince him?"

I'm going to look at how much time it takes, and the great thing with missions is that they can go from five minutes to about 23 hours depending on what they are doing. And you are kind of taking a risk because you don't know... obviously, the more time it takes, the bigger possible reward. But every mission you do has variables on the rewards, and the ability to basically crit on the reward. You might get something incredibly amazing and there is sort of a scale of it. So I'm going to send him off.

Treasure Hunting is a different one, and unsurprisingly, is about loot. Vette is a treasure hunter when we meet her and she has a bonus for it. I'm a Sith Warrior and I want stuff. I'm going to send her out... but I'm going to need her in about ten minutes because I'm about to go run a group with my friends, but they aren't online and I'm waiting around. So I'm going to say, "Hey Vette, go see what kind of loot you can get for me in five minutes. Alright, scoot!" Because at least we're doing something. It gives you an ability to one, keep all of your companion characters going; and two, have something to do.

The big hits are you don't have to be at the ship to do it -- they're back on the ship. You don't have to be online to do it. Even if you are busy and you can't come in for a few days, it is going to make sense to log in for five minutes, go through your stuff, put everyone on 23 hour missions or 23 hour crafting pieces, and then sending them out. And for people who are traditionally not crafters and not excited about that stuff, the mission system still gives them something they can do. They can take all mission skills instead, and that doesn't involve quite the complexity and discipline that maybe traditional crafting would.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 5:02 pm 

:!: up to FIVE of your companions can craft at one time - thats alot of crafting and COMPANIONS.

And NOT sitting around spamming anything. Reminds me of PotBS.

Nice - thanks Rob

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 6:06 pm 

They just updated the game systems with a crewskills page complete with Video about crafting.

http://www.swtor.com/info/systems/crew-skills

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 6:34 pm 

New looks - nice UI design.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 1:46 am 

Master Gui-Jan wrote:
Tetran wrote:
Deak Almar wrote:

Speaking of which, I'd love to see a game like this with a Micro-Transaction system that allows players to sell items in-game for the game-store's cash equivalent, and then give the players the ability to Cash that currency out for real money.

Sort of like Second Life? Too bad SWG wasn't like that. With all of the droids I sold, I could have easily bought a 12 pack.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 11:45 am 
Site Admin

Quote:
You will be able to select three Crew Skills for your team to train in from among these main categories:

If I read that correctly, your crew can only choose three skills out of the follow list. In the crafting skill section it says that only one one skill choice can be in the crafting group. Therefore it is conceivable that it will take several crafters to cover the entire market spectrum. Each of us in avian could service different sub markets and together we can rule the galaxy as…. … … … A true crafting guild.

• Gathering Skills
    As you explore planets in the galaxy, you’ll discover a variety of exotic resources and valuable pieces of information. With the right training, you and your crew will be able to scavenge for raw materials, slice computer systems, and track down valuable artifacts. The resources and information you gather can be sold on the open market for a profit, or your crew can use them to craft useful and valuable items. If you like, you can select Gathering skills for all three of the Crew Skill slots available to your team.
    • Bioanalysis – the practice of collecting genetic material from creatures and plants
    • Scavenging – the art of recovering useful materials and parts from old or damaged technology
    • Slicing – a skill in accessing secured computer systems and lockboxes to acquire valuable data and rare schematics
    • ??Unknown??

• Crafting Skills
    Whether your team gathers resources or you acquire them through other means, they’ll be the cornerstone of crafting. Depending on how you choose to specialize, your crew will be able to construct armor, weapons, implants, or other types of useful items and gear. You can use these items yourself or put them up on the open market for profit. You’ll receive Crew Skill reports even while you’re away from the ship, and if one of your companions returns with the schematics for a valuable item, you can assign someone else to start crafting the item right away on the ship’s workstation without having to return to the ship! Crafting skills are very specialized disciplines; for your three Crew Skills slots, you’ll be able to select one Crafting skill for your crew to master.
    • Armormech – the ability to work with hard metals and electronic shielding to construct all types of personal armor
    • Artifice – the delicate work of constructing Jedi and Sith artifacts
    • Biochem – the engineering of performance-enhancing chemical serums and biological implants
    • ??Unknown?? << Armstech >>
    • ??Unknown?? << Cybertech >>

• Mission Skills
    Mission skills are a unique addition to the Crew Skills system. With these skills, you send companions from your crew across the galaxy on various missions to recover information, hunt down loot, or complete other goals to bring you rewards. When you use a mission skill, you’ll select a companion, choose a mission from an ever-changing pool, and send that companion out after the prize. You can choose from a variety of mission skills – is your crew into conducting research? Participating in diplomatic missions? Trading in illicit goods? There are many options, each with their own set of benefits and rewards. Some can even earn you light or dark side points. As with the other skills, your companions complete these missions on their own time and bring the rewards back when they’re done. Any number of your Crew Skills can be a Mission skill, so get ready to put your team to work!
    • Diplomacy – the art of conducting and managing negotiations
    • Treasure Hunting – the ability to track down and recover valuable items by investigating a series of clues
    • ??Unknown??
    • ??Unknown??

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2010 12:31 pm 
Site Admin

Some Dev posts about crafting:

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthre ... dit4678566
DamionSchubert wrote:
So just to throw a couple more stray thoughts about our philosophy.

• No, you the player cannot craft currently - which is to say you cannot choose to watch the progress bar fill up yourself. That being said, to us, watching a progress bar has always been the least interesting part of crafting in other MMOs. The part of being a crafter that is interesting to us is things like finding rare schematics, finding hard-to-find components, and the social game of finding customers and suppliers. We really wanted devoted crafters to be able to focus on these aspects of crafting, and not so much on the 'watch a progress bar go forward' part of things. Crafting should be a social thing - staring at a progress bar is not.
  • No, you don't see companions running missions out 'in the real world'. While I laugh at the idea of a stream of companion characters filing into the palace on Alderaan, it's unfeasible for a lot of reasons.
  • The real test of the value of crafting is less about whether companions or players are swinging the hammer and tongs, and more about how the itemization of crafting is balanced in a way that the gear is useful. Crafting is important to the systems team, and we're devoted to ensuring that crafted gear has a place in the economy, especially at the endgame, and doubly especially for the devoted crafters.
  • It's worth noting that we really want the system to support the casual crafter (the guy who is taking crafting largely to outfit himself while levelling up) and the devoted crafter (the guy who wants to be known as the best Armormech in the galaxy). Supporting the former means making the system accessible and easy. Supporting the latter means ensuring that hard work can allow you to provide goods and services that almost no one in the galaxy can. The systems design team is striving to satisfy both groups of people.
  • My own personal goal is that some crafters can get so good that players all over the server seek them out. My problem being a crafter in most other MMOs is that you tend to become a guild's pet at some point, and you're expected to do all of the work for free. We want those devoted crafters to be exceptional enough that they can actually demand a price, and that people will actually break out of the guild in order to pursue those goods and services. The system isn't there yet, but we have plans...

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthre ... dit4678245
DamionSchubert wrote:
You can have three gathering skills, or three mission skills, or one of each. Or two gathering and a craft. The only limit (right now) is you can only have one crafting skill, and you can only have three as a whole.

DamionSchubert wrote:
To be more precise, players can have up to three crew skills but only one of those can be a crafting skill. The fictional reason is that you only can have room for one crafting table on your ship, but the real reason is that we don't want all players to be self-sufficient.

We call the system Crew Skills because they are skills possessed by your amorphous crew as a whole. If your crew can go treasure hunting, you can order any of your crew members to run treasure hunting missions. Vette may have a bonus to treasure hunting (being a native treasure hunter and all), but to be honest we currently have these bonuses set to be relatively mild - we don't want people to choose NOT to take their favorite companion out on the field with them because the economic bonus to keeping them on the ship is that much greater.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 2:59 pm 

Here's an interview posted on Darth Hater about crew skills and crafting.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VRmJxHQd ... r_embedded

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 3:15 pm 

DamionSchubert Quote on TOR forums

"Missions have... highly variable rewards. We're still defining exactly what that means in terms of balance, but that's a key part of the difference between missions and crafting - no gathering lots of rare resources, but no certainty either. The most extreme examples you can think of, while fun to contemplate (i.e. companions getting captured and requiring rescue), are at least not in v 1.0 of the system.

Crafting will not have out-and-out critical crafting failures. It really sucks, from a social point of view, to give someone all your crafting resources and have them all be destroyed by a bad roll, and really makes it hard for up-and-coming crafters to get any business at all."

I like that we may have to go rescue captured companions.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 2:32 pm 

Ok we got slicing but wheres my spicing? :)

I miss my Smuggler in SWG. :yoda: I had one at the EMU before the wipe, fully templated.

This crafting system does look intrigueing though...............

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 1:09 pm 
Spammer

I really like the sound of this system. My MMO gaming time is likely going to be more limited than it was in the past so I am looking forward to being ablle to still gather and maybe specialize in one particular item, all the while being able to fully enjoy questing, adventuring, and fighting. As long as crafted items do fit into the economy and have true value, this will be good.

Very promising feature for me indeed.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 1:11 pm 
Spammer

Aranarth wrote:
Ok we got slicing but wheres my spicing? :)

I miss my Smuggler in SWG. :yoda: I had one at the EMU before the wipe, fully templated.

This crafting system does look intrigueing though...............

Biochem sounds like it may be close to spicing. Not quite, but close. Per the ToR website on crafting:
Quote:
Biochem –the engineering of performance-enhancing chemical serums and biological implants

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 2:16 am 
Site Admin

http://www.swtor.com/news/blog/20101203

Patrick Malott - Systems Designer wrote:
Closer Look at Crew Skills

Introduction
I’m Patrick Malott. I’ve worked as a Game Systems Designer on various titles over the years, but what we’re working on here at BioWare Austin is my dream project: Star Wars™: The Old Republic™. In my current role, designing and building out the Crew Skills system is one of the biggest projects I’m involved in. As a passionate multiplayer online gamer myself, I know that crafting is a critical part of the experience for many of you, and I’m dedicated to making sure you enjoy the way it works in The Old Republic. In this blog, I want to shed some light on the design decisions we’re making with Crew Skills… and I might just drop a few new specifics on the Armstech crafting skill.

The Design Approach
As the System Design Team prepared to create the Crew Skills system, we spent a lot of time examining crafting systems in other games, noting the pros and cons of as many systems as we could find. Our primary goal was to create a system that’s fun and rewarding, so we gathered inspiration from the pros and scrapped the cons. During the process, we also kept our minds on innovation, making note of crafting features we’d always wanted to see. In the end, it took many long hours and lots of careful consideration to decide exactly what features would make Crew Skills into a truly exceptional crafting system.

The system has shaped up well, and we’re excited about the results. The Crew Skills system offers crafting features that players expect along with surprising innovations that make our crafting experience stand out. For example, in The Old Republic there are multiple ways to gather resources. Not only can you gather resources yourself, but companion characters in the field can be ordered to take care of the task. Companions stationed on your ship can also be sent on gathering missions, freeing you and your active companion up for action. Gathering missions will even continue while you’re offline – the ultimate in efficiency! Allowing several gathering options enhances the crafting experience by accommodating a variety of play styles, making crafting interesting and useful for everyone.

Companions and Crafting
Companion characters are a key part of The Old Republic, so one of our goals for Crew Skills is to fully incorporate them into the system. Having companions perform crafting tasks and missions encapsulates the approach we desired for crafting, and adds to the story and detail of the game world.

Players can issue crafting orders to up to five companions at a time, and each companion can add up to five crafting tasks to their queue. You can cancel crafting progress from anywhere if you need to, and the resources your companions were using will be returned to you. Your crafting queues will even continue to progress if you have to go offline – when you log back on, you’ll receive any items that were completed while you were gone.

Your companions all have different skills and personalities, and their strengths carry over into the Crew Skills system. Some companions are better suited to particular Crew Skills than others. We revealed recently that Vette is an excellent Treasure Hunter; that means she’ll have a bonus when performing Treasure Hunting missions. Companion traits in Crew Skills are designed to be story-appropriate and meaningful, but the bonuses aren’t designed to be so extreme that you’ll feel you only have one companion choice for a given task.

Companions are much more than just a block of stats to be ordered around, of course. In true role-playing fashion, what your companions think about you will affect how motivated they are to work for you. Companions with high affection will have their ability to perform crafting tasks greatly improved. For example, a companion with high affection can craft items faster – this becomes really significant when crafting tasks can take hours or even up to a day to complete!

Though companions are vital to The Old Republic and the Crew Skills system, we do know that some players want to be the primary crafter for all their crafted items, or for particularly special pieces of equipment. It’s worth noting that players will definitely need to be directly involved in the process when learning rare schematics, and that Lightsabers aren’t acquired or assembled via the Crew Skills system. We’ll have more details on this later.

Armstech
The Old Republic offers a wide variety of crafting skills, and we’ve already revealed three of the six. Today, I’d like to show you a bit about a fourth: Armstech. Armstech is the ability to work with hard metals, alloys, and synthetic materials to craft blasters.

When we designed the Armstech crafting skill, we envisioned what materials make sense in The Old Republic. We spent hours reading online, referencing books and novels, talking with colleagues, and utilizing all the Star Wars™ resources we could find to help define the perfect materials for Armstech. Once we laid out the materials, the rest of the system fell comfortably into place.

Players who choose Armstech as their crafting skill will be able to create a wide range of blaster pistols, blaster rifles, sniper rifles, and assault cannons. To create these powerful weapons, you’ll need to get your hands on the right materials. Scavenging, a gathering skill, supplies the metals, alloys, and other materials you’ll need for Armstech.

Entry-level Armstech schematics require only a gathered resource, allowing crafters to enjoy the game system immediately. As schematic complexity and item quality increases, the crafter will need other ingredients, like vendor-purchased materials and even rare resources. The higher the item quality, the more work you’ll need to put into crafting.

There are three quality levels for crafted blasters:

Quality Crafting Requirements
Premium Gathered resources and common items sold on vendors
Prototype Rare gathered resources and other valuable items
Artifact Rare resources (gathered or otherwise) and other valuable items – possibly acquired from other players

Premium quality blasters are relatively easy for an Armstech to make. They generally require only scavenged materials and vendor-purchased fluxes. At lower levels, Premium quality blasters require relatively inexpensive materials and take only minutes to construct. They’re on par with (and sometimes slightly better than) items commonly acquired from completing quests and defeating enemies. We expect that casual crafters will pursue crafting blasters of this quality, and that they’ll get excellent use out of them.

Discovering and mastering Prototype and Artifact quality blasters takes considerably longer and requires much more player dedication. In The Old Republic, we want the crafting of such items – especially at the end game levels – to be a significant accomplishment. Our goal is for players to want to seek out renowned crafters who have learned the rarest schematics. Prototype and Artifact quality blasters will be exceptional, and their appearance and effectiveness will speak to their rarity and power.

Players progressing through The Old Republic will always desire better quality items, and crafters certainly want to provide those items to make a profit. We’ve worked hard to ensure that crafted items have an important place in The Old Republic’s economy, and that crafters will be well-rewarded for the effort they put into the Crew Skills system. In future updates, we’ll go further into detail about how we plan to address crafted items in the economy!

Closing
Thanks for taking the time to read this blog. We’re all very excited about Crew Skills, and I’m happy to share these details about our goals and design ideals with you. Keep in mind that we’re always reviewing and testing our systems to ensure their quality and fun. And, of course, we always appreciate you taking the time to provide us with feedback, so keep it coming!

May the Force be with you!

Patrick Malott
Systems Designer

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2010 3:08 pm 
Spammer

Yeah, that just made me feel alot better about their direction. I was getting the impression that a lot of the stuff would only be doable by your companions based on what they previously stated about gathering, but now that they clarified that you can personally gather as well, I'm definitely not as concerned.

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 1:05 pm 
Site Admin

Its interesting that back in December I posted a quote from Patrick Malott where he talks about Armstech

Quote:
[...]
Armstech
The Old Republic offers a wide variety of crafting skills, and we’ve already revealed three of the six. Today, I’d like to show you a bit about a fourth: Armstech. Armstech is the ability to work with hard metals, alloys, and synthetic materials to craft blasters. [...]

However here we are in mid may, the crew skills page still says nothing of Armstech. Below is an image linked to the crew skills page.

I wonder what is going on.

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 10:29 am 
Site Admin

Also in this pic from the user interface blog we see Cybertech crafting for the first time.

So there is more going on in crafting than the crew skills page is talking about.