Avian Gamers Network

Forum
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:47 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 11:07 am 
Site Admin

http://www.swtor.com/news/news-article/20101217

The above link takes you to an good SWTOR article about creating Coruscant. Following the article the developers answered the following questions form the community.

Quote:
Community Q & A
The Old Republic community has a lot of questions and we want to answer as many as we can! Each month we are going to start a new thread on the forums focused on gathering questions from the community. Please post your questions in the Community Q & A Thread #2. We’ll be reviewing them as they come in, and answer some in our next Studio Insider.

We ask that you please keep your questions courteous and professional, and avoid duplicating questions that have already been asked in the current thread. Keep in mind, as well, there are some questions that we’re not able to answer right now, so not all of the questions will be answered.

This month Dallas Dickinson, Director of Production for BioWare Austin, takes on your questions. Please note that some of the questions have been edited for clarity. Enjoy!

Will a player be able to level up just playing PvP? (asked by metaspy)
Yes you will. We’re big fans of multiple gameplay paths – we don’t want to force you to do one thing to advance. That means you’ll level up whether you’re playing PvE or PvP.

Will there be subtitles in the dialogues? (asked by DarthDrakes)
While by default we don’t show subtitles for dialogue scenes, you are able to toggle subtitles on and off as an option. And of course, we will show subtitles for NPCs who speak an alien language. We don't expect our players to run out and learn conversational Shyriiwook just to play the game.

Are testers still being picked? (asked by screally)
Absolutely! The selection of testers is an ongoing process, and will continue as long as we need testers.

Will there be different server types, as in PvE servers and PvP servers? (asked by Fruskov)
There will be several different types of server, including PvP servers and PvE servers.

Will we have a lot of customization options for making our characters? (asked by Galivos)
Because you will see your character's face so frequently during conversations in the game, it's absolutely critical that you can look awesome and unique. We have plenty of face/head/body customization options just in character creation, not to mention all of the amazing-looking equipment and gear you will find in the world.

What is The Old Republic focused on the entire journey from the first level to last level - being a complete experience, or is it a rush to the end level to do all the 'good' stuff? (asked by Destrucshot)
The Old Republic is an end-to-end high-quality BioWare RPG experience. We don't want players to feel a lull, to feel a grind, or to think "gosh, if only I could get to max level where the real fun begins." We want to support all types of gameplay, but these are two good (and often cited) examples to elaborate on. Some players only care about the ‘end game’; for them, we are making sure to have Raids, Warzones, repeatable Flashpoints and all of the endgame features one expects from an MMORPG. Along the way, though, we want even the power-gamer to really enjoy the end-to-end journey and story. We also know that some players will want to experience every class story, and a core element of the game’s design is focused on making sure that the end-to-end experience for every class is amazing.

Will the battlegrounds be story driven to the same extent as questing and character progression in PvE will be? (asked by Svarteryttaren)
Not quite as much. We want Warzones both to make sense and to be repeatable, which means that they can't be as deep as the class and world missions in the PvE game. That said, they each tell their own exciting Star Wars story. We want them to feel like movie moments, like the best battle sequences of the movies - and to do that, you have to have compelling story.

What if I don’t want to kill the Captain, but my groupmate decides to kill him? Do I have to suffer the consequences of his choice? (asked by monorico)
As our own Daniel Erickson told the folks at PAX in Seattle earlier this year, Light Side and Dark Side are about intention. If you really *wanted* (and chose) to save the Captain, and the Sith Warrior in your party cut his throat, the universe knows what you wanted to do. You'll still get your Light Side points. Bottom line is that we don't want other players to grief your progression or the fantasy of who your character is.

I’m a massive roleplayer and my tiny question is: Will there be beautiful areas where I can sit and watch the world go by, like watching the birds and listening to the in-game music? (asked by Raimun)
There already are. All of our planets have iconic musical themes as well as beautiful environmental art and effects, and even if a dirty cantina on Hutta isn't beautiful, it sure feels like Star Wars to sit in one, listening to music and watching a creepy Rodian hit on a Twi'lek dancer.

Are we going to hear about the direction of endgame before launch? (asked by Crazy_Person)
Definitely - I can give you the high-level direction already, but the details will have to wait a little longer. For those who want to continue to play their main character, we’ll have Raids, Warzones and other PvP choices, as well as heroic Flashpoints. For those who enjoyed the journey to maximum level, we have one of the most compelling class replayability in the history of MMORPGs.