Avian Gamers Network

Forum
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:58 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 7:06 am 
Site Admin

I came across another crew skill article today at Curse.com. It has a good bit of information that all the other TOR sites are not reporting. He lists several more specific crew skills, what items some of crafting crew skills can create, modification slots on items, ect. I don't know if this guy is full of crap, or if he really does have info no other sites are reporting. I formated the info that was news to me in Red

Curse.com wrote:
Hands-On With Star Wars: The Old Republic's Crew Skills And Crafting
Posted Apr 29, 2011 by Kody

Kaas City, found on Dromund Kaas - the second planet Empire players will visit - is where you're first introduced to Crew Skills and crafting. After toying around with multiplayer content in the game, I decided to dig in and find out as much about the two as I could.

While BioWare has revealed details on both already, no one has really had a chance to test out the systems in-game outside of the studio's internal testers. But after visiting Kaas City and seeing all the trainers readily available, I couldn't resist checking it out.

Crew Skills are utilized in conjunction with the companion system. You'll be able to learn three skills in total, with a maximum of one crafting skill. Any non-crafting crew skills have missions associated with them. The gathering missions allow you to send companions out - for a nominal credit cost - to carry out the mission, and if successful they will return with crafting materials.

The crew skills implemented at the time of our immersion day (late April) were:

• Missions
    • Treasure Hunting
    • Underworld Trading
    • Diplomacy
    • investigation
  • Gathering
    • Slicing
    • Bioanalysis
    • Scavenging
  • Crafting
    • Biochem
    • Cybertech
    • Armstech
    • Synthweaving [Cy: wasn’t this call Armortech]
    • Artifice

Of the crew skills I found, only a few of them are actually crafting. The majority are mission-based in which you send out your companion, and after a pre-determined duration - starting at five minutes - they return with the results. Each companion has a 'specialty,' based on attributes, and so choosing the proper companion to send on a given mission will positively or negatively impact the potential results of the mission.

For crafting, I was able to put together a rudimentary list of what each skill can create. Many items in Star Wars: The Old Republic have modification slots, and so a number of the crafting skills can create modifications for said slots. Modifications provide additional attributes, and there are a wide variety ensuring each class can find something that fits their needs.

• Cybertech - This skill specializes in Droid upgrades, but can also craft earpieces. They also make modifications for certain items: Harnesses, Overlays, Underlays, Circuitry, Gadgets and Generators.

• Armstech - This skill specializes in creating weapons like the Assault Cannon, Blaster Pistol, Blaster Rifle and Sniper Rifle. It also allows a player to craft weapon modifications: Barrels, Scopes and Triggers.

• Synthweaving - This skill specializes in creating armor, allowing a player to craft light, medium and heavy variations. There were no other item categories listed, so you can probably assume that the skill will not be able to craft modifications, instead leaving that to other skills like Cybertech.

• Artifice - This skill specializes in creating modifications for items, including lightsabers - something Jedi will covet during their journies. The item categories the Artifice skill can craft are: Circuitry, Emitter Matrix, Focus Crystal, Focus Lens, Gadget, Harness, Overlay, Underlay and Resonance Crystal.

• Biochem - Allows the creation of performance-enhancing serums and various implants. You can consider this the 'potion maker' of The Old Republic.

Noticing items tagged 'L50 BiS' (commonly known as 'best-in-slot' in other MMOs), I had to ask what exactly that meant for crafting. According to Lead Writer, Daniel Erickson, crafters will be able to create some items that are considered best-in-slot initially. Higher tier items will obviously be introduced that are stronger than crafted pieces, over time.

Crafting an item is done by your crew, with the duration it takes depending on the item you're attempting to craft. For Synthweaving, as an example, the initial items you can create - meant for low-level players - take about a minute-and-a-half to create. However, according to Mr. Erickson, some items can take hours - even days - to create. These will be the best-of-the-best items that crafters can put together, and so it will take time for your crew to complete them.

Gathering can be carried out by both you as well as your crew. Resource 'nodes' are scattered throughout the planets in the game, so while you run around the map locating resources and gathering them yourself, you can send your crew on gathering missions to help supplement your resource gathering. These missions do not take place in the game world itself, so you'll never run into competition between yourself and another player's companions.

While the duration it takes to craft items may initially cause a 'whoa' moment, it's important to remember that you can do this from anywhere in the world, and it's your crew that actually spends the time crafting the item. You can continue merrily on whatever activity you were working on. Or you can log off and do something else, if you so choose; your crew will continue working on whatever you've assigned them while you're offline.

What I saw was by no means innovative, but it is a nice evolution of the typical MMO crafting, offering a solid blend of EVE Online skill training with traditional resource collection. As a person who is a fan of crafting in MMOs, it will be fun to watch these systems further evolve during the remaining months of The Old Republic's development.