Avian Gamers Network

Forum
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 12:59 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2011 10:32 pm 
Site Admin

James Ohlen wrote:
And plus the fact that you can get “critical hits” on crafting items so you can actually craft an item that is as good as you can get in a raid.

SWTORCrafter has an article about crafting called Crew Skills and Crafting “crits” in Star Wars The Old Republic MMO. In the article there is a lot of crafting speculation. There is also the above quote form James Ohlen about criting to make items as good as raid items.

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2011 5:42 pm 
Spammer

I think the idea of crafting crits really flys in the face of a swg like system. It rewards luck over skill and material prep. I especially dislike it, if it is the only way to compete with raid items. Combatants are every crafters main customer, if your gear is only likely to be suitable a percentage of the time that is crap, it is a an easy way out of balancing the economy.

Former Head of Department of the Treasury
-------
Ask not what your PA can do for you, but what you can do for your PA
"Gone Section Five"

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2011 1:38 am 
Site Admin

I wonder if a serious crafter could do something to increase his chance to crit, bit by bit; eventually getting their crit rate to 100%. The journey to max this stat could be the crafting game. Could it be the phased completion of a large crafter quest arc granting % crit increase to crew skills per segment completed? Perhaps the acquisition of crafter loot for your crew with stats like crafting crit +10%. Bioware hinted that the mission system may be a great combo choice for crafters, perhaps there is an artifact out there that is an extra crit + 10% component required to make an ordinary blaster extraordinary. And we already know perfectly managing companion relations helps them craft faster, what if it also increase their chance to crit %.

A combination of all of the above would be more involved, have many more hurtles, and much more time invested in order to separate the crafting men form the boys. Devs have stated that there will be something in the system to make serious crafters stand out. That is if you feel comfortable and believe Bioware’s promises.

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2011 2:47 am 
Spammer

Dragon Fire wrote:
I think the idea of crafting crits really flys in the face of a swg like system. It rewards luck over skill and material prep. I especially dislike it, if it is the only way to compete with raid items. Combatants are every crafters main customer, if your gear is only likely to be suitable a percentage of the time that is crap, it is a an easy way out of balancing the economy.

How does it fly in the face of a SWG like system? I could swear Crits were in that system too.

DDO - Cannith - AlistairItor - Rogue/Ranger (5/3) - Main
DDO - Cannith - Guijanitor - Paladin/Rogue (4/1)
DDO - Cannith - RicochetItor - Rogue (5)

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2011 8:36 am 
Spammer

Master Gui-Jan wrote:
Dragon Fire wrote:

How does it fly in the face of a SWG like system? I could swear Crits were in that system too.

If they were, it was fairly meaningless at least in armor.

Cyrus - that idea is very similar to how experimenting tissues worked in swg. I was not a huge fan but avians suit treated me very well and it was affordable as we could share it. It does insert a serious credit sink which redirects in game credit from crafters to pve'rs which is a good thing. The downside is that it makes crafting much more difficult to break in to for newcomers (not casual friendly).

I like options that invovle some tangible way to either max that percentage either by resource quality, quests, or stat modifiers instead of relying on chance.

-------
"Gone Section Five"

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2011 5:26 pm 
n00b 4 3v3r

Master Gui-Jan wrote:
Dragon Fire wrote:

I seem to recall that SWG had critical fails, but I don't think it had critical successes.

Pathfinder Kingmaker Campaign:
Gednan Malithanar - Wizard (1)
Dukin Thunderstrike - Ranger (1)

Star Citizen: - https://www.robertsspaceindustries.com/
AntanKarmola on their forums

Star Wars: The Old Republic: - Not really playing
Antare Karmola - Jedi Guardian (32)
Antan Karmola - Jedi Shadow (21)
Arianae Karmola - Gunslinger (20)

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2011 7:05 pm 
Spammer

I think the other difference is that a single crit or crit fail resulted in a schematic that was either good or useless. If it was good you have 1000 item run you could produce, if it was bad you trashed it losing 1 item worth of resources.

In either case the net result of chance was very minor.

Most of the emphasis was on resource collection and quality, and experiment point allocation.

-------
"Gone Section Five"