Avian Gamers Network

Forum
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 10:30 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2011 11:53 am 
Site Admin

This weeks Friday update brought us the Trooper Progression Video. It seem to be much longer than the previous progression videos, and it shows many new abilities. I can’t wait to see the Darth Hater video dissection.

Cool new anti stealth ability see, and cool looking heal ability seen, and many more.

If we end up playing Republic the trooper is my class of choice.

So tell us what you think?

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2011 11:55 am 
Site Admin

Wow, the dissection is already here.

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2011 2:06 pm 
Spammer

Hell yeah, badass who doesn't need any hokey religion to kick ass and take names.

If anyone remembers Mantison's time as a commando, you all KNOW this is the class I will be playing if I play...

I like the look of the class. Still not sure on the game as a whole, but the class looks like a party.

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 3:54 am 
Site Admin

One of the cool things I think I am seeing in TOR is that you can have a group consisting 100% of one single class, yet that group still be viable. It seems that Troopers can be specked to Tank, Heal, and DPS. Likewise with Bounty Hunters, Jedi Consolers, Sith Inquisitors.

Smugglers, Imperial Agents, can’t officially tank, and Jedi Knights and Sith Warriors cannot officially heal. But the general theme is for most classes to be able to spec to fill multiple roles.

I can easily see a static group consisting 100% of troopers being totally viable. Furthermore I can see them RPing themselves by with official sounding group names such as the 449th lightning brigade or Task Force Rancor, etc.

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 3:23 pm 
Spammer

Cyrus Rex wrote:
One of the cool things I think I am seeing in TOR is that you can have a group consisting 100% of one single class, yet that group still be viable. It seems that Troopers can be specked to Tank, Heal, and DPS. Likewise with Bounty Hunters, Jedi Consolers, Sith Inquisitors.

Smugglers, Imperial Agents, can’t officially tank, and Jedi Knights and Sith Warriors cannot officially heal. But the general theme is for most classes to be able to spec to fill multiple roles.

I can easily see a static group consisting 100% of troopers being totally viable. Furthermore I can see them RPing themselves by with official sounding group names such as the 449th lightning brigade or Task Force Rancor, etc.

I see this as a very notable aspect of the grouping gameplay. It allows people to play the clas they want and not necessarily be cast into certain roles or spam LF healer/tank in LFG chat. Could be a very nice thing indeed if Avian numbers in-game remain low (sidenote - I still hope to be part of a guild with large numbers, Avian+relations, or Avian members joining up with another large and well respected guild).

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 10:13 pm 
Spammer

Angelus wrote:
Cyrus Rex wrote:

I see this as a very notable aspect of the grouping gameplay. It allows people to play the clas they want and not necessarily be cast into certain roles or spam LF healer/tank in LFG chat. Could be a very nice thing indeed if Avian numbers in-game remain low (sidenote - I still hope to be part of a guild with large numbers, Avian+relations, or Avian members joining up with another large and well respected guild).

This utility of classes seems to becoming a bit of a trend, (RIFT featured similar flexibility in role, Guild Wars has always had it, and LOTRO introduced it a bit with the Runekeeper class) and I am definitely a fan.

Darth Hater really does a nice job illustrating the key points.

Former Head of Department of the Treasury
-------
Ask not what your PA can do for you, but what you can do for your PA
"Gone Section Five"

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 1:57 pm 
n00b 4 3v3r

Dragon Fire wrote:
This utility of classes seems to becoming a bit of a trend, (RIFT featured similar flexibility in role, Guild Wars has always had it, and LOTRO introduced it a bit with the Runekeeper class) and I am definitely a fan.
I think MMOs in general are drifting to a classless system. In ToR, it seems that all the class does is define the story you follow. Classes are useful in the FPS style co-op games in that they define the role you take in the party. As MMOs are getting more and more away from being combat-based games towards alter-ego-based games people want to be able to retain the character that they play but vary the play style based on their mood at the time.

Plus having pigeon-holing class definition doesn't make much sense anyway!

Pathfinder Kingmaker Campaign:
Gednan Malithanar - Wizard (1)
Dukin Thunderstrike - Ranger (1)

Star Citizen: - https://www.robertsspaceindustries.com/
AntanKarmola on their forums

Star Wars: The Old Republic: - Not really playing
Antare Karmola - Jedi Guardian (32)
Antan Karmola - Jedi Shadow (21)
Arianae Karmola - Gunslinger (20)

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2011 7:01 am 
Site Admin

I like the gun effect details, the way the gun barrel heats up and glows red at ~1:26 into the video.

I also want to know what is up with the folding knife he uses to take out the Sith Inquisitor at ~2:11. If you freeze frame the video it looks like the knife comes out of the gun hilt or his gauntlet and the blade clearly unfolds as he prepares to strike.
Attachment:
Trooper Knife.jpg
Trooper Knife.jpg [ 28.6 KiB | Viewed 1007 times ]