Avian Gamers Network

Forum
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 7:14 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2011 1:05 pm 

http://darthhater.com/2011/10/20/republ ... dia-event/

Lots of reviews to read... man, I am read for this game, bring it!

Rift/Gnarlwood: Nostro - Mage (Pyro/Necro/Chrolo - mancer) lvl 29
Rift/Gnarlwood: Stilgar - Cleric lvl 8

WoW days - Aegnor/Stilgar

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2011 1:10 pm 
Site Admin

Sweet! I'll start digging into all the info. Thanks for the post!!!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2011 1:26 pm 
Site Admin

Work is blocking the IGN articles. Can someone repost them?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2011 2:06 pm 
Spammer

The Old Republic: Companions and Crafting
It's nice to have talented friends.
October 20, 2011

Crafting in BioWare's upcoming MMO Star Wars: The Old Republic is an interesting process. It takes elements of standard MMO harvesting and crafting, adds in a few random elements, and allows you to perform it wherever, whenever. But before we get down to the nitty-gritty of the crafting in The Old Republic, I have to talk about the Companions, as they're intimately connected.

Companions are a core element of The Old Republic. They're not simply pets that obey your bidding the way a Warlock's Imp would in World of Warcraft, and they're not just a body to spout dialogue during conversations or while you're slaying crime lords in the city-world of Coruscant to spice things up. The companions are a Swiss Army knife of sorts, capable of both of those things and much, much more.

In combat they come equipped with a handful of skills that can drastically change each encounter for better or worse. As a Jedi Knight, I obtained an R2D2-style droid equipped with a long-ranged taunting ability that would grab an enemy's attention, and a grappling-hook ability that would pull an enemy towards him. Because I was playing a melee-fighter who would eventually become a tough-as-nails tank, the droid's taunt came in handy at early levels. It would keep heavy-hitters busy for a few precious seconds as I wiped out weaker enemies.

Jedi Knights get a potent little droid early on..
Jedi Knights get a potent little droid early on.

The long-range grab, however, became an annoyance which I soon switched off. One of the Jedi Knight's core skills is the Force Leap. It's skill that throws me straight at a foe, dealing a little damage and generating some Focus, a resource which is used for the Jedi Knight's more potent skills. Every time I would use this skill to initiate a fight, my droid would grab an enemy and yank him back to where I leapt from, putting me completely out of reach for my follow-up skills. Luckily, I could toggle this skill off, meaning my companion wouldn't use it whenever he wished. Instead I could activate it manually.

Companions aren't exactly a push-over, either. Each one has base stats approaching those of your own main character, and each can be equipped with about as many items and modifications as you can. The only main difference is the more limited pool of abilities, though even the abilities tend to provide some utility that you may not be able to find elsewhere.

In conversation they are less active and more reactive. Depending on which dialogue choices you make during a conversation sequence, your companion may gain or lose "Affection." Affection signifies how much a companion likes you, and changes based on your conversation choices. It seems as though how your companion reacts to your choices is somewhat dependent on their personality. A padawan companion will be happy as a space-pig in space-mud if you act as though helping a local business owner is the most exciting thing you have ever thought of. The occasional sarcastic remark, on the other hand, will get you nothing but subtractions from your companion's Affection score.

And you'll want to keep your companions happy because they're also your crafters. While you are the one who learns the recipes, and while you're able to harvest a lot of resources haphazardly scattered through the local gang-infested marketplace, you will never touch two items together to make a new one. Instead, you have to send companions away with your ingredient for a little while, and when they return, you'll have a sparkling new Lightsaber gem, or a sweet set of bracers that will help you dish out damage.

You can also send your companions away to collect precious resources for your crafting skills. This incurs a cost of both credits and time that grows as the resources become more valuable. While your companions are off exploring ruins for crystals or digging through some distant desert for a lockbox they can't be involved in conversations. Nor can they fight for you. This is especially important considering that at early levels you may only have a single companion to fight alongside you, and their power can make the difference between killing that valuable rare-spawn creature and dying beneath its feet as another player swoops in for the kill (and the loot).

Consulars get this green dude.
Consulars get this green dude.

Once you have a crafting skill, items that you can theoretically craft -- say, lightsabers and bracers for Force users as an Artificer -- can be "Reverse Engineered." By clicking a button in the inventory menu, eligible items are highlighted. Then it's just a matter of clicking the items you want to break down one at a time. The items will vanish from existence and you'll get a small fraction of their original resource cost in return.

This is significant because you can break down items you create, and each self-created item you Reverse Engineer has a chance to teach you a recipe to create a better version of that item. You may, for example, create a shield-generator with some strength and endurance. Then you break it down, and you learn a recipe that is identical, except it also increases your defense, or maybe it increases your damage-absorption rate. It makes item-crafting somewhat of a slot machine, and gives you a reason to craft the same item a dozen times that isn't strictly for skill-ups, sell back to vendors or put on the Auction House

That random element of chance also applies to item creation. Occasionally when your companion comes back from a crafting outing, you'll get a message saying something along the lines of "They did an exceptional job!" Check your inventory, and you'll find that your usual crafted item is actually a little unusual. You may find that it now has an enhancement slot, meaning you can attach an upgrade to your item, increasing its stats and effectiveness. For items that can't get enhancements, an exceptional crafting session may produce more of the item than normal. In my case, I got two Lightsaber for the same resource cost of one.

These small, luck-based events add a great deal of enjoyment to what is otherwise a simplistic crafting system. And it's addictive. Sitting at my desk, I found myself regularly queuing up jobs for my companions to do while I stood there completely inactive. Add to it the fact that you can send your companions off anywhere and at any time -- I was sending them away in the middle of dungeons, PvP and while I was just browsing through vendor merchandise -- and it's a system you can have running in the background constantly, giving you regular rewards regardless of your activity.

Overall, it's a system that I think I will be using regularly, perhaps even compulsively. I can see every spare credit going towards advancing my crafting skills, and every item I create being broken down in the hopes of learning a more potent version.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2011 2:07 pm 
Spammer

The Old Republic's Trooper is a Monster
Tearing through enemies as the Republic's heavy weapons expert.
October 20, 2011

I wasn't sure what to expect with the Trooper class. He doesn't get a light saber, he can't channel the Force, and he isn't especially mobile during a fight. For the first few levels I was staving off a mild sense of disappointment. Sure he had heavy armor and carried a big gun, but how can I possibly feel like a powerful character when right beside me Jedi Knights are running around with glowing kill sticks and ForceLeaping their way to victory?

At level 18, I feel silly for doubting the Trooper. After a large number of his abilities were unlocked, it became obvious this class was seriously dangerous. He can wear all armor types, though is best dressed in heavy gear to deflect as much damage as possible while he sprays blaster fire across battle zones. Initially his abilities aren't especially exciting. He gets a Hammer Shot, his core attack, that fires off a volley without consuming his ammunition -- his class-specific resource. Most of his abilities do consume ammo, which slowly regenerates as he fights, and can also be swiftly replenished with a recharge ability that's limited by a cooldown.

Though he gets a few single-target damage bursts, like a channeled Full Auto ability that lets you unload rapid fire energy bolts for a short while, gradually it becomes apparent that one of the Trooper's biggest strengths is delivering devastating area of effect damage. His Mortar Volley, which lobs out a succession of explosive rounds, does heavy damage and knocks over whole clusters of weaker enemies in the process. In practice this means you can approach a group of three of four trash mobs, flatten them to the ground with the mortar volleys and kill them before they have a chance to even get up. I don't know how much this ability might be tweaked before the game officially launches, but right now it's incredibly effective, and saves a lot of time while clearing hostile zones on the way to a primary quest objective.

The Trooper gets a lot of other cool abilities as well. His Sticky Grenade is acquired early on, and though it only attaches to a single target, it will detonate soon after, knocking over lesser enemies in the area as well as dealing damage. If you lob the grenade at weak foes, it has the bonus effects of causing them to flail around like they're trying to swat away bees. And by bees, I mean the explosive stuck to their chest. Aside from serving as a nice touch of detail, the affected enemy also won't attack while flailing around, letting you take a few free shots before the fireworks start.

That's not the only explosive in the Trooper's ability list. The Cryo Grenade affects only one target, but has the advantage of freezing them in place for a short duration. Combine this with a few of the other skills, and it doesn't take long to realize how deadly the Trooper can be. Open a fight against a group of weak mobs with a Cryo Grenade to freeze one, follow up with a Sticky Grenade to cause another to panic, then trigger a Mortar Volley to knock them all over and inflict severe punishment. Then when they're all floundering around under the mortars, the Sticky Grenade will explode, piling on the damage.

The Trooper may not use the Force, but is still deadly.

Depending on which advanced class you pick, more options are opened up. At level 10 you can branch your class one of two ways. The Trooper can become a defensive-minded Vanguard, or a damage-dealing Commando. I went Commando, mostly because it meant I could then use the obscenely oversized assault cannons, which when stood on end are about three quarters the size of my character model.

Surprise surprise, I was rewarded with yet more area of effect attack options. The Hail of Bolts ability can blankets an area with blaster fire for a sustained period of time. Used directly after the Mortar Volley, it was incredibly effective at knocking out weak enemies. A Plasma Grenade was eventually made available, that detonates and spreads fire to additional targets to burn them over time for even more damage. By the time I stopped playing the beta, I felt confident going into any encounters, and was impressed with how much more powerful I felt at level 18 than I did even at level 10.

An unexpected side effect of choosing the Commando advanced class was receiving a few healing abilities. I have two at level 18, both of which are pretty effective at keeping me (and party members) alive during standard fights. I can combine them with a Reactive Shield ability that temporarily limits incoming damage, as well as No Retreat, which restores health over time and has a long cool down (essentially the Trooper's panic button), to prove especially hard to kill. In fact one third of the Commando's skill tree (which works just like World of Warcraft's talent tree) is dedicated to healing buffs and abilities. I'm really curious to see how heavily armored, heavily armed Troopers will fare in the live game with a healing specialization, especially in PvP. It seems like the class gets a little bit of everything. Despite not having a light saber or Force powers, I by the end of my time with the beta I didn't feel like I was missing out.

As if that wasn't enough, the Trooper can swap between different firing modes. Called 'Cells', only one of these modes can be active at a time to give the Trooper added bonuses to all blaster shots. I favored the Plasma Cell over the Armor Piercing Cell, because it added a percent chance to ignite targets for a short while, inflicting damage over time. It also lets me use High Impact Bolt, a single high damage shot only usable against targets taking damage over time or who were incapacitated.

The Commando advanced class in action.

If you're a seasoned MMO player, you'll know a lot of these behaviors don't exactly work as well in tougher encounters. Against bosses and in Flashpoints, The Old Republic's version of dungeons, spamming area of effect attacks was a great way to kill the whole party by inadvertently pulling in all kinds of additional enemies. A lot of the knockdown and stun effects also don't work on stronger enemy types, meaning the grenade skills and Mortar Volley aren't quite as advantageous. Even so, damage dealing is the Commando's specialty, and I was still able to output quite a bit of punishment with my single target attacks.

Companions factor into the combat to a far greater degree than I expected as well. Every class in The Old Republic gets unique companion characters, AI-controlled fighters who can be fully equipped with gear and level up alongside you. They come with all kind of skills, and can be extremely helpful during a fight, adding additional damage or providing much needed healing. If you don't really care what they do, you can basically just set them on auto-pilot and the computer will take care of their ability use. If you'd rather have more control over how they behave, you can pull their skill bar onto your primary skill pane, then trigger and trigger the commands manually, essentially letting you play two characters at once. Or, if that sounds like too much work, you can specify which companion abilities you'd like the companion to use or ignore, then hand control back over to the computer. As a nice bonus, they can also be deployed while grouped up in a Flashpoint if one of your party members randomly decides to bail out or take an extended bathroom break.

I've focused mostly on gameplay so far and haven't touched the story, and honestly I'm probably not doing you much of a service by explaining exactly what happens. It should be enough to say the Trooper's storyline is full of double-crosses and opportunities to severely irritate NPCs. Your companion will chime in throughout the course of the adventure, and will agree or disagree with some of the decisions you make, affecting their affection rating. I'll expand on the story angle in another story, but for now I'll say the emphasis on character interaction and providing context and motivation for your quests has a big impact on the experience. I felt like my Trooper had a greater purpose than simply killing 4 droids in a particular area for a quest reward. Many quest goals are still pretty standard for the genre, but at the same time the narrative wrapped around each quest is so well presented with voice-acting, detailed character animations and dialogue choices that it's easy to get swept up in the fiction and forget about the menial kill and collect quest goals.

When the game goes live in December I plan on rolling a Sith Inquisitor and picking up the Sorcerer advanced class so I can specialize in healing, but I'm glad I gave the Trooper a shot. It's a surprisingly powerful class that's a lot of fun to use, and now I'm more excited for The Old Republic's launch than ever.

Also, I know this is a minor point, but I love the armor and weapon designs in the game so far. My Trooper looks like he walked off the set of a Star Wars movie, and there's a hilarious 1970s vibe to a lot of the environments of the game and the clothing and hair styles. For instance, I customized the appearance of my Aric Jorgan companion – an intensely serious warrior – with cartoonishly large sideburns. Hopefully the weapon and armor designs further along the leveling path continue to impress, because for me that's a big part of what keeps me hooked on item-driven MMOs like The Old Republic.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2011 2:08 pm 
Spammer

The Old Republic: PvP and Warzones
In space, no one can hear you gank.
October 20, 2011

Since the dawn of videogames, man (and sometimes even woman!) has used the electronic medium to scratch a primordial itch. That itch? Murder. Pong might look like a simplification of tennis, but if you mentally replace those paddles with human beings, you have two dudes hurling a ball of pure death at each other at increasingly rapid speeds. You may also need to mentally replace the ball with a ball of pure death to complete the illusion.

BioWare's upcoming massively-multiplayer online role-playing game Star Wars: The Old Republic will let players scratch that itch in a number of ways. For open-world PvP fans on PvP servers there will be contested planets in neutral territory where the Empire and the Republic can go at it between quests. Then there are three instanced and scenario-based warzones planned for launch: The Voidstar, Alderaan and Huttball. BioWare has also done their best to make every class feel effective in some way, especially tanks. In most MMOs, a tank's purpose is strictly flag-carrier, but in The Old Republic they are capable of redirecting damage to themselves in a variety of ways, saving the squishier characters from death-by-Force-lightning.

In the beta, we couldn't choose which Warzone we wanted to play, but we'll talk about Alderaan and Huttball here.

Two massive ships hover over a snowy valley. Between them, in a parallel line on the ground, are three turret installations. A counter ticks down, and when it reaches zero, two teams of players board speeder bikes and fly through the map, quickly passing each turret before landing on the ground. The teams divide up and surge towards the turrets, where a battle ensues.

The goal of the Alderaan Warzone is to hold a majority of the turrets for a majority of the time. Capturing a turret is easy -- it's just a matter of clicking on the turret's controls and letting a counter tick down for a few seconds. Unfortunately, it's even easier to interrupt a turret capture. Any damage dealt to a player while they capture interrupts the capturing process, forcing them to start again.

So far, the standard Alderaan Warfront match plays out with each faction grabbing a side turret quickly, and the center turret remains under contention until one team overpowers the other. Taking back an enemy turret is no simple task -- when a team owns a turret, a speeder bike appears in that team's spawn-point that will take them almost directly to the turret controls, making it easy to return to defend from death. However, getting between points while alive is more difficult. The center turret is blocked on almost all sides by a wall. Players in the center can easily jump over the wall to defend a side turret, but the side turrets have a longer and more vulnerable path. An underground path that travels beneath the center turret connects the two side turrets, but there is still a large distance to travel.

Although the paths between turrets are interesting and there are elements of rough and tactically-exploitable terrain in the open spaces on either sides, the areas around the control panels -- where everyone rushes to fight -- are generally wide open and don't allow for much in the way of clever positioning or sneak-attacks. The similarities between all the turrets also mean that each turret can be assaulted in a really similar fashion. As far as capture-point maps go, it's very simplistic. This puts more emphasis on the combat more than the tactics. I'm not very good at PvP combat, so Alderaan didn't appeal to me very strongly. That said, I recognize that this Warzone could become very competitive.

Huttball, to me, was much more enjoyable than Alderaan. It's an entirely new game type. Sure, it shares elements with traditional capture-the-flag game modes, but the differences are all-important. You see, in Huttball, two teams face off in a rectangular and multi-tiered arena. In the center is the game's namesake -- the Huttball -- and it is up to both teams to carry the ball across a highlighted goal line near the enemy team's spawn-point.

Killing a ball-carrier sends the ball immediately to the player who killed them, while whoever is carrying the ball gets a slowing debuff. But the carrier can also throw the ball. They can, in fact, throw it to an area on the ground -- not just to an allied player. This means that really solid Huttball teams can organize themselves way in advance and just throw the ball to one another to get it across the goal line. On the other hand, it also means that really good Huttball teams can plan ahead and kill off potential catchers, breaking the chain, and then doubling back to finish off the carrier.

Getting the ball across the line isn't just a simple matter of running from one end to the other, thanks to a series of obstacles along the way. In the ball's spawn area in the center, pools of acid funnel players to the sides or force them to be heavily slowed and take moderate damage. There's no way to single-handedly get the Huttball to the goal line from the ground level, either. The line is on a raised section of the map only accessible by the metal scaffolding that span the upper levels of the map.

But even these are fraught with danger. Plumes of fire shoot out of specific parts of the scaffold at regular intervals, causing extremely high and prolonged damage to anyone who gets caught in its area of effect. These plumes give the enemy team plenty of time to catch up to a carrier, and the fact that the scaffold is high above the ground and only accessible from a few locations means skills that knock players back are extremely potent.

This map is hugely entertaining and puts an immense emphasis on crowd-control and the protective abilities of tanks and healers. More than Alderaan, Huttball makes every single class feel valuable. It also never feels like a stalemate, which is something other capture-the-flag modes almost always boil down to. Huttball is a mode that, come launch, I will be playing a lot.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2011 4:48 am 
Site Admin

I have read several reviews from different sources; they all seem to say that the smuggler story is awesome.