Avian Gamers Network

Forum
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 1:23 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Early Game Access?
PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 2:30 am 
Site Admin

Does anyone know how early game access will work?
Will we be able to download the game before everyone else?
Will the physical game ship earlier?
How early is early; day, week?

Post subject: Re: Early Game Access?
PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 12:25 pm 
Spammer

I don't know that they've released info on all of this. I'm guessing we'll have to be able to download the game pre-release, unless they intend for only those who pre-ordered the digital download to be able to get in early.

I'm guessing that we won't get in more than a week early. They'll want to balance the initial server load, and their login servers and low level areas will be getting hammered early in launch. If they can get a bit of that out of the way and spread some population out, it'll help a lot. I'm guessing they aren't going to give very much time away, however. If they could launch the game earlier for us, they'd launch it earlier for everyone else too, and start pulling in money as quickly as possible. Their development and marketing costs have to be substantial.

City of Heroes had an early access plan at launch for pre-orders. I think we got in 3 days early for that. I'm guessing this will be something similar.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 9:29 pm 
Spammer

I am guessing the Friday before regular launch: Dec 16th.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 10:53 pm 

http://www.swtor.com/preorder/faq#q209656 states that:

How will I be able to gain access to the Game in time for Early Game Access?
Customers who have redeemed their Pre-Order Code for Star Wars: The Old Republic will be notified via email prior to the beginning of Early Game Access that the Game client is ready for download. Another email will be sent at the beginning of Early Game Access to inform players that they can now access Star Wars: The Old Republic.

When does Early Game Access begin?
Early Game Access will begin prior to the official release of Star Wars: The Old Republic. Precise dates will be revealed at a later time.

Now, what else I have come across somewhere...IIRC, what I remember seeing/reading/hearing that early access would not be "just a weekend", but I also seem to remember someone saying not to expect 2 weeks.

Also, the earlier you ordered the game, the earlier you'd be able to sign in for early access.

Finally, we will be given access to download the client, and that's how we will be able to access the game come "Early Access" time.

Thank you!
Xijitok

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2011 1:05 am 
Site Admin

Thanks for the info!

I wonder how big the Download will be. I am looking to buy my own wireless internet service because the internet in my apartment has gone to crap. A new group of contractors moved in and they are completely destroying our bandwidth. This part of the world doesn’t have good infrastructure, so everything seems to be a wireless shot. Our IT guys are recommending a couple wireless ISPs. The problem is that most ISPs have caps, a big download could max me out for the month.

Maybe I can talk our IT into looking the other way as I DL the game from our office connection.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2011 10:06 am 
Spammer

IT guys are generally pretty forgiving if it is for something they like too. See if any of them have pre-ordered. If bandwidth for their uses is at a premium, they may say no, but if not, then talk them into it. Bring snacks, and maybe a woman or two as well. :wink:

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2011 11:59 am 

Cetera wrote:
IT guys are generally pretty forgiving if it is for something they like too. See if any of them have pre-ordered. If bandwidth for their uses is at a premium, they may say no, but if not, then talk them into it. Bring snacks, and maybe a woman or two as well. :wink:

We are pretty forgiving... but it depends on whether or not we are in a good mood.
Try and butter them up a bit, with some soft drinks they like, cakes, trade games, or even a buddy invite for the game.

And don't tell anyone, but first week in the month were I work, I usually get such a request... Most recently Starshatter: The Gathering Storm through an ftp-connection. (He had the reciept and serial, but the copy he brought with him was busted).

Early in the month is the best period, if the bandwith is at a premium or volume taxated...

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2011 6:57 pm 

Cyrus Rex wrote:
Thanks for the info!

I wonder how big the Download will be. I am looking to buy my own wireless internet service because the internet in my apartment has gone to crap. A new group of contractors moved in and they are completely destroying our bandwidth. This part of the world doesn’t have good infrastructure, so everything seems to be a wireless shot. Our IT guys are recommending a couple wireless ISPs. The problem is that most ISPs have caps, a big download could max me out for the month.

Maybe I can talk our IT into looking the other way as I DL the game from our office connection.

I dont have any quotes but I believe I read somewhere it is about a 30 gig client. But I honestly dont know for sure.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2011 7:13 pm 
Spammer

Yup it's around 30GB

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2011 10:27 am 
Site Admin

http://www.swtor.com/news/news-article/20111104-0

Quote:
Early Game Access Details Revealed
One of the benefits to pre-ordering Star Wars™: The Old Republic™ is that you will gain Early Game Access before launch on December 20th. This is a chance to start your epic Star Wars saga early, as you’ll be able to create and play your character ahead of the official live game launch.

Many of you have been wondering how long Early Game Access will last, and we are now happy to announce that depending on when you redeem your Pre-Order Code, you will gain Early Game Access up to five days before the official game launch date.

Early Game Access is staggered over five days to ensure a quality experience for players at launch. Staggering access aids server stability and a gradual increase in player population through the game. Early Game Access will be granted according to when your Pre-Order Code is redeemed at the Code Redemption Center. If you have not yet pre-ordered Star Wars: The Old Republic, there’s still time! Visit our Pre-Order page for more information and watch the Collector’s Edition Unboxing video for a peek inside this highly coveted edition of the game.

Keep up to date with the latest official news on Star Wars: The Old Republic, including any updates on Early Game Access by visiting www.StarWarsTheOldRepublic.com, or by liking us on Facebook and following us on Twitter.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 6:17 pm 

Here is hoping I pre-ordered for the full 5 day lead in!!! Hopefully they let us know before too long... I wouldn't mind taking Friday the 16th off for some quite SWTOR time!

Rift/Gnarlwood: Nostro - Mage (Pyro/Necro/Chrolo - mancer) lvl 29
Rift/Gnarlwood: Stilgar - Cleric lvl 8

WoW days - Aegnor/Stilgar

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 10:47 pm 
Spammer

I ordered from gamestop in October (got the CE), but apparently they ran out of early access codes in September. I called them and they gave me the bird...also submitted a ticket with Bioware, but haven't heard back.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2011 12:46 am 
Spammer

Got an email today allowing DL of the final client. Here's hoping for the full early access!