Avian Gamers Network

Forum
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:59 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 8:30 am 
n00b 4 3v3r

I felt the need to document some of my experiences, so I thought I'd start this thread.

Character Creation
I'm not that impressed with the range of hair and beard options (I've only done a male human so far). Most of the options for facial hair look utterly ridiculous as do most options with a ponytail (why do the ponytails stick straight out?!). I ended up going with a Qui-Gon hairdo with a full beard. Most of the scarring options looked too severe for my liking as well but I suppose if they weren't they'd be hard to see. I decided not to go with a scar as a result.

Exploring Tython
I tend to like exploring. I'm a bit of a completist in that regard. Consequently, I spent a lot of my time jumping up rock formations to see if there was anything at the top, only to discover that I could get half-way up and no further. I still don't know if there is anything higher up, and I'm tempted to return and try again when I can jump higher, but if not, I think I'd just prefer an invisible wall rather than wasting lots of time discovering that I can't get to those places. On a related note, I've also found myself getting stuck in the scenery because I've been jumping to places that the designers probably didn't intend for me to go!

In a lot of locations, there are instances just for one or other of the two Tython starting classes. Consequently, I think the most complete experience of the planet would be for a Jedi Knight and Consular to group and do the planet together (Or roll an alt, but grouping's more fun).

Other Randoms
I've discovered that between the levels of 7 and 10 ish, the Consular is a very poor tank as I seem to be dying lots. Alternatively, I could be doing it wrong, which is not unlikely!

There's a Chamber of Speech (or something) which is a Heroic 2+, anyone still on Tython and fancy grouping for it? I probably need to ask that when actually in game as I doubt I play at the same time as most people.

Same question for whatever the first flashpoint is, when I finally get there.

More to follow, when I think of it,

Pathfinder Kingmaker Campaign:
Gednan Malithanar - Wizard (1)
Dukin Thunderstrike - Ranger (1)

Star Citizen: - https://www.robertsspaceindustries.com/
AntanKarmola on their forums

Star Wars: The Old Republic: - Not really playing
Antare Karmola - Jedi Guardian (32)
Antan Karmola - Jedi Shadow (21)
Arianae Karmola - Gunslinger (20)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 11:03 am 

-I felt mostly the same way with character creation. The only MMO's that have ever satisfied me for that though were SWG and City of Heroes.

-The world design is more console than MMO. Using terrain to limit exploration is exactly what WoW did in the beginning too. It's nice that the worlds you're on feel/look large, but I kind of hate knowing they are very, very small.

-I'd help with the heroic stuff but we're going to be in CA until Monday night.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 6:24 pm 
n00b 4 3v3r

X2-PB wrote:
Exploring Tython
I tend to like exploring. I'm a bit of a completist in that regard. Consequently, I spent a lot of my time jumping up rock formations to see if there was anything at the top, only to discover that I could get half-way up and no further. I still don't know if there is anything higher up, and I'm tempted to return and try again when I can jump higher, but if not, I think I'd just prefer an invisible wall rather than wasting lots of time discovering that I can't get to those places. On a related note, I've also found myself getting stuck in the scenery because I've been jumping to places that the designers probably didn't intend for me to go!
I also discovered that Exploring Codex triggers tend to be on the standard paths so, if you enter an area by a different route, these don't trigger until you wonder back along the path. Same applies to missions: I've found, on a couple of occasions, items for missions that I can't access yet as I managed to bypass the mission trigger.

X2-PB wrote:
Other Randoms
I've discovered that between the levels of 7 and 10 ish, the Consular is a very poor tank as I seem to be dying lots. Alternatively, I could be doing it wrong, which is not unlikely!

There's a Chamber of Speech (or something) which is a Heroic 2+, anyone still on Tython and fancy grouping for it? I probably need to ask that when actually in game as I doubt I play at the same time as most people.
I've now done a bit of playing with Qyzen in the tank role. This works much better as I can just throw rocks from a distance. I also managed to tackle the Chamber of Speech in this way, although I crashed to desktop half-way through, which was unhelpful!

Would still like to group with someone for the first flashpoint though. I'm busy for the next few days and then I'm back to work on Monday so it probably won't be until next weekend.

Datacrons
I found two datacrons on Tython so far. When I say found, I mean I found the first and couldn't work out how to get to it and so I googled it and the rest! They don't actually require any skills or fancy jumping to get to (although it can apparently be done that way), just a bit of exploring. It's also kind of cool the extra information you get from them (although, yes, that can be found by googling too. Although there is also a permanent stat increase to reward finding it in the game).

Armour
I reported in game yesterday that I had acquired a purple skirt. I figured, at the time, the fact that it was purple was probably a bug. Sure enough, when I logged in today (post patch), it looked like a proper robe/skirt thing (must try and remember the proper names for these things). I also used my Tython commendations to get the Tythonian chest piece (ditto!) which gave a huge boost to my armour stats. Looks reasonably funky too.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 7:49 pm 
n00b 4 3v3r

Story
I've completed my story on Tython and have headed off world. The forging of your lightsaber is really cool. I've met Satele Shan; also very cool!

Codex
I appear to have missed some of the missions on Tython as I'm still missing codex entries. I may go back sometime later and see if I can collect them all, even though fighting anything on the world would be ridiculously simple.

On the subject of fighting things...
There's one really horrible robot in the grounds after the Waterfall Caves that was impossible to beat at level 10-12. I made several attempts, even with Qyzen, and managed to knock just a third of the hitpoints off, at most. Probably requires a full group at that level. Again, I may go back and tackle it later.

Advanced Class
Once at the fleet, I picked my advanced class. I picked Jedi Shadow because it has a double-bladed lightsaber, very cool, and has a tanking tree, which I wanted. I was wandering around the station for quite some time before eventually finding out (through talking to Mant on guild chat) how to get a double-bladed lightsaber. (Answer: they give you one in the pack you get when you train your advanced class :roll: ). I also found out (again from Mant) how to dismiss my companion (right-click their portrait and click dismiss!).

Esseles/Esselles/Eccles (However you spell it)
I plan to do this flashpoint either tomorrow (Friday) or Saturday as I can sleep in the following mornings. I have a headset with mic somewhere and so I'll try and fish that out and join you on Vent (assuming I can work out how to use it!). I'd like to take a full party in; anyone interested? I am currently having some issues with SWTOR crashing (sometimes to the BSOD!). It tends to do it at the most inconvenient of times so probably happen in the middle of the flashpoint! We'll see how that goes. Can always do it a second time! It may have been due to me installing half a backlog of Windows updates, which I've now completed so hopefully at least the BSOD problem will go away.

Crafting
I'm thinking about starting to sell stuff. I have a spreadsheet ready and everything! More on that some other time.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 3:02 pm 
n00b 4 3v3r

A SHIP!!!! I HAVE A SHIP!!!! FINALLY!!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 4:10 pm 

X2-PB wrote:
A SHIP!!!! I HAVE A SHIP!!!! FINALLY!!

Congrats! You now have your own personal love pad; no more tying up a corner in the cantina :)

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 6:12 pm 
n00b 4 3v3r

nasiobo wrote:
Congrats! You now have your own personal love pad; no more tying up a corner in the cantina :)
Nas, there was a tone set here ... and you've lowered it!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 7:28 pm 
n00b 4 3v3r

Story
So as you may have guessed from my rather unsubtle post above, I have now completed the Prologue of the class story (does that mean, at level 16, I've only just started the game?!). I mentioned to others in the Guild chat earlier that my enjoyment of the game and Coruscant in general was being tempered by my burning desire to get my ship. I've found it annoying that things like getting your lightsaber, ship and, later on (I'm assuming), the Legacy stuff is tied to the class story progression rather than level progression. This is because people like me who like to take every quest and explore everywhere take far longer to get these things than those who just like to race through everything. Granted, the items are tied into the storyline and so it makes sense to do it that way, but still annoying.

As a result, I decided to race through Coruscant and only do the class missions so that I could get my ship as quick as possible. Now that I have done so, I will probably go through it again, slow-time, doing the explorey thing.

The boss fight at the end of the story arc was hard. I died several times before finally getting it. I do need to work up a better strategy for doing fights. For the moment, I tend to mostly button-mash. It's slightly organised button-mashing, but button-mashing all the same. I also find it hard to pay attention to what's going on as I tend to watch the cool-downs (or the keyboard to work out which keys I'm actually pressing!). This can result in me being stunned or held in a force grip and not knowing about it (and this is not helpful as I actually have a skill for regaining mobility!). Any tips, I'd be most grateful.

Alts
I've made a female smuggler alt. Going back to the lowering the tone thing, I decided to pick the features in character creation that best meet my idea of cute (as far as you can with the range of options). This is for two reasons: everyone has to play a sassy smuggler at some point and if you're going to be looking at your character's arse for several hours a day, you may as well make it a nice arse to look at!

As a smuggler, I keep expecting to be able to use Captain Mal, Fireflian quips all over the place. I'm somewhat disappointed to find that most of my character's responses have been along the more serious lines and the only options that seem interesting are more aggressive than cheeky. The classic example being asking for better payment; it's a serious demand for more money or I'm not doing the job, than a I'll do it anyway but I'm gonna be cheeky here and ask for more.

Crashes
I'm crashing lots. Sometimes to desktop, sometimes to BSOD. This seems to be a vaguely common issue as the Customer Service forum on the SWTOR website has two request for information stickies, one for each type of crash. The BSOD ones seem to mostly stem from some incompatibility between SWTOR and the nvidia drivers and so should be fixed once they've worked out what's causing it. The problem with BSODs though it that you have to hard reboot, which I don't like doing as it doesn't do the hardware any good (and given the money I've spent on this machine, I'd rather like it to last a while!). Don't know if Win7 is fairing any better as half the responses in the thread were Win7. This hard reset issue is one of the reasons I wanted to get it running from within Linux in that OS a software crash is very unlikely to crash the whole PC. My virtualisation attempts failed to work, although I understand that it does run through VMWare but with very poor frame rates (10-15fps on low graphics, don't know what the PC spec was though). Apparently, the beta client, up until one of the November updates, actually worked well in Wine. There are a number of people looking into why it no longer works and how to fix it but I have some hope there.

Anyone else experiencing crashes?

Legacy
One thing I wanted to ask for those for you that have got this far. Are the Legacy perks any more than just a Surname at the moment?

Special Vendors
Talking of perks. There are a number of vendors on Carrick Station that are just for people who pre-order or got the CE or have a security key, and there's also a VIP section of the cantina. Do these have anything of actual interest or are they just gimmicks? (i.e. is it worth me spending money on a security key and/or the deluxe upgrade pack in order to access these things!)

Social
I noticed, with some glee, when I got my ship that it was possible to sit on the chairs in the cockpit. Up until this point (and, indeed, I still feel this to be the case) I felt the ability to sit in chairs clearly lacking. SWG did this, and other social aspects, very well: almost any chair you could find, you could sit on. There is a conference room on my ship with a table surrounded by chairs, none of which can be sat on. This would be an ideal location where you could gather a group of friends and sit down and have an in-game chat. The same applies to most cantinas.

I'd also like the ability, at some point, to be able to decorated my ship. At the moment, everything is just stored in the cargo hold but I'd like to be able to put some of it on display, like old, lower level, sets of armour, for instance. Again, this is something SWG did well and I would like to see repeated.

I was also very disappointed by the lack of things to do in the ship. There's a very nicely decorated Captain's bedroom, for instance, but you can't interact with anything. You can't even lie on the bed! I had at least expected a mail terminal, but there isn't. You can't interact with anything in the engine room. etc. etc. These things would be nice and you'd have thought, given the place has been lovingly crafted, that there would be a few things to interact with. Still, it's early days and these things aren't exactly high priority.

Crafting
And then there's the crafting! I'm doing quite well. I've sold, so far, everything that I've made for sale. I'm making a ridiculous profit on them. Which is handy as it covers my expenditure elsewhere. I can certainly see myself ramping up production in the future. Plus, I'm keeping a set of accounts (being the sad person that I am) and I'm sure, at the end of the month, some people would be interested in seeing the summaries.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 7:31 pm 
n00b 4 3v3r

Out of interest, are people actually reading these updates. And are they at all interesting to you?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 9:31 pm 
Spammer

Yes

DDO - Cannith - AlistairItor - Rogue/Ranger (5/3) - Main
DDO - Cannith - Guijanitor - Paladin/Rogue (4/1)
DDO - Cannith - RicochetItor - Rogue (5)

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 12:02 am 
Spammer

Legacy - just surname

Special Vendors - get a authentication key (iphone, android phone, physical key). No reason not to have one these days. As far as perks...nothing special.

These seem to be accurate IIRC
http://www.askajedi.com/2011/12/15/secu ... -revealed/
http://swtor.gamingfeeds.com/2011/12/21 ... -republic/

Former Head of Department of the Treasury
-------
Ask not what your PA can do for you, but what you can do for your PA
"Gone Section Five"

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 12:59 am 
Spammer

X2-PB wrote:
Out of interest, are people actually reading these updates. And are they at all interesting to you?

Yes. I read them all. I'm enjoying them, especially since you're across the pond and don't get to group much with me, so it makes me feel like we're still participating.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 1:02 am 
Spammer

I'm running an nVidia card with the latest official drivers, and I don't ever crash. I'm also running Windows 7. I do get a lot of strange graphical glitches, though. They are specific, occur in certain locations only (usually with a fancy sparkling streetlight) and generally involve rays tracing a line down to some arbitrary point on the ground. There is also a specific spot on Tatooine that goes all weird and green for a while, and after moving the camera around and around, it'll eventually fix itself.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 1:59 am 
Site Admin

X2, I like reading this thread.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 10:08 am 
Spammer

Cetera wrote:
I'm running an nVidia card with the latest official drivers, and I don't ever crash. I'm also running Windows 7. I do get a lot of strange graphical glitches, though. They are specific, occur in certain locations only (usually with a fancy sparkling streetlight) and generally involve rays tracing a line down to some arbitrary point on the ground. There is also a specific spot on Tatooine that goes all weird and green for a while, and after moving the camera around and around, it'll eventually fix itself.

This...

No crashes though.

Former Head of Department of the Treasury
-------
Ask not what your PA can do for you, but what you can do for your PA
"Gone Section Five"

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 11:09 am 
Spammer

Never crashed since release, running crossfired vid cards, Win 7.

The green laser beam show is a game glitch, tons of folks report this one. They are "working" on it.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 1:19 pm 
n00b 4 3v3r

So glad people read this! In that case, I shall continue doing updates for as long as I can find things to say.

It looks like the crashes may be more an XP thing then. I may see if I can acquire a copy of Win7 and try that out.

Anyone get the graphical glitch where people look purple (a sort of psychedelic purple) or is that just me too?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 1:21 pm 
Spammer

I've seen that purple glitch on another's machine, but haven't gotten it yet.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 6:59 pm 
n00b 4 3v3r

Crafting
I got my first purple schematic today, an Advanced Fortitude Enhancement 3. I've made two, which I shall try to sell starting at 10k each. I don't expect anyone to be stupid enough to actually buy them for that but you never know! From there, I shall drop the price each time they expire and see what I actually manage to sell them for.

I then need to just work on making and selling until I've made some reasonable funds back. Then I might go back to exploring!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 5:52 pm 
n00b 4 3v3r

X2-PB wrote:
Crafting
I got my first purple schematic today, an Advanced Fortitude Enhancement 3. I've made two, which I shall try to sell starting at 10k each. I don't expect anyone to be stupid enough to actually buy them for that but you never know!
It appears that TOR does have its share of stupid people. That was the easiest 20k I've ever made!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 6:02 pm 
Spammer

Just out of curiosity, is there any reason this thread is in the private forums? I'm always trying to make as much stuff as possible in the public forums to generate activity and recruit people. If we aren't talking about stuff that needs to be behind closed doors (guild strategy, names, private info, etc) I'd like to keep as much possible in the public forums.

I'll try and make a post about this and get the gov't involved. Antan, do you have any objection to moving this to the public forums?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 6:09 pm 
n00b 4 3v3r

Cetera wrote:
Just out of curiosity, is there any reason this thread is in the private forums? I'm always trying to make as much stuff as possible in the public forums to generate activity and recruit people. If we aren't talking about stuff that needs to be behind closed doors (guild strategy, names, private info, etc) I'd like to keep as much possible in the public forums.

I'll try and make a post about this and get the gov't involved. Antan, do you have any objection to moving this to the public forums?
I don't suppose there's any reason not to move this to the public forums. I tend to start something like this in the private forum just in case my ramblings get a bit personal. But I'm not convinced I've written anything here that I don't object to the whole world knowing!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 6:29 pm 
Spammer

Can you move it? I think I have rights to, but I'd hate to screw it up and lose all your wonderful prose! I haven't messed with the forum software at all.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 6:56 pm 
n00b 4 3v3r

Cetera wrote:
Can you move it? I think I have rights to, but I'd hate to screw it up and lose all your wonderful prose! I haven't messed with the forum software at all.
Done!!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 6:59 pm 
Spammer

Completely off topic - do we have a cheat sheet or set of instructions on how to do things in the forum software?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 7:27 pm 
n00b 4 3v3r

Cetera wrote:
Completely off topic - do we have a cheat sheet or set of instructions on how to do things in the forum software?
Yes that is off topic :P (ask Cyrus).

On topic:
Crashes
I've changed my graphics settings in game to run the game Fullscreen rather than Fullscreen (Windowed), which was what I had. I had had a thought that the fact that it was Windowed may have been causing some "interference" between game graphics and the desktop. I'll leave it like that for my next few sessions and see if it seems to have an impact.

Additionally, in the patch notes for 1.1, which came out today, it suggested they'd solved a crash problem during transitions (which was definitely a regular problem I was having). That may help too.

Crafting
Given that I managed to sell my two artifact items for stupid prices, I think I'm going to do the same thing for my blue items, to a lesser extent, for a bit and see how many people take the bait. Certainly makes it easier to make money from crafting if they do!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 11:19 am 
n00b 4 3v3r

Crafting
I thought it about time I told you all about my crafting spreadsheet. Some of you will, no doubt, find this dull but I'm sure those of you that deal with accounts and accounting on a daily basis may find it quite interesting.

My spreadsheet has three sheets. The first lists expenses and resource gathering, and its purpose is purely for working out resource cost plus any additional expenses. Any schematic training, failed missions and the like count as these additional expenses and are listed as overheads on the Trading Accounts. Any resources that I gather in-world I also list but put them down as costing nothing. This way they offset the cost of running missions. Same applies to resources gained from Reverse Engineering. I have now collected so many Rubat Crystals in-world that their effective cost to me in production is less than one credit per crystal!

Quantity of resources gained and costs involved in doing so are summed up and one is divided by the other giving, on sheet two, the unit cost per resource. A new set of sheets are done each month so this value is the average for the month.

Sheet three (I'll come back to sheet two in a minute) is a list of sales and hence calculates income. For Trading Accounts I really only need total sales but I've decided to split it down by item anyway as this may provide me with useful information for some other purpose.

Sheet two is the inventory sheet. For each schematic I can make, I list: cost of production per unit, opening inventory (i.e. the closing inventory of the previous month), the number produced, total cost of production for that item, number sold, number destroyed (i.e. Reverse Engineered), remainder (closing inventory), value of remaining stock, sales, profit. This, in tabular form, is essentially the Trading Accounts.

From there, writing up accounts for the month is pretty easy. There are no capital assets to speak of. Unlike EVE, the schematics are learnt rather than being a commodity that can be bought or sold and so have no inherent value once obtained. They are, therefore, simple expenses rather than assets. There are no shares either. So the Balance Sheet becomes a case of income, expenses, stock and cash.

At the end of each month, I intend to put together a formal accounts summary and may put it up on a website somewhere. I would actually be better off using a database for this stuff and then I could have the website generate the report automatically. But so much work is required to do the interface for it that I really can't be bothered at the moment. If my interest into this spans many months (as it well should do), I'll consider putting in the effort later on.

Scenery
One thing that has occurred to me while wandering around both Tython and Ord Mantell, is that both really need viewpoints. Now I'm not sure if this is a strictly British (or European) idea, but we have locations, usually on hilltops, where there are parking and seating areas specifically placed for enjoyment of the scenic view. Tython and Ord Mantell (and no doubt some of the other planets as well; I've only visited three) have some wonderfully crafted scenery. The world artists have really done themselves proud. But there are very few locations where you can get up high enough and just enjoy the view. I took a moment on Ord Mantell where I found a nice high point where I could stand and look out over the bay at the island I was just about to invade. It was a wonderful moment that I doubt many would take the time to appreciate (it was off the beaten track). So I stood there for a moment and took a screenshot. What these places need more of are locations just like that.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 3:23 pm 
n00b 4 3v3r

Datacrons
I'm still collecting datacrons. So far, they seem to actually be quite easy to get to. In most cases, it's a case of just going to a part of the map that you wouldn't normally go to, go up that extra ramp or rock outcrop. I should note that I am actually looking up where to find them, which I'm sure some would say is cheating. I don't really think so though. There's been a couple on Coruscant that have required a bit of skilful jumping but, to be honest, if I can manage it, so can most people as my jumping skills are rudimentary at best! In fact, it was only through jumping crates to get to a datacron that I actually discovered you can jump higher if you do a running jump than a standing jump. I had always assumed this to be the case but this was the first time I'd managed to categorically prove it.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 6:50 am 
n00b 4 3v3r

Coruscant
I am now done with Coruscant, more or less. I've still got a couple of Heroic 4 quests that I haven't done and there's an epic Dark Jedi in the Jedi Temple, guarding the datacron, that I would like to vanquish at some point. Based purely on my Tython and Coruscant experiences, it seems Bioware have dumped an epic hostile at the end of each planet with something like 14k hitpoints. I'm sure it would be possible to take them down with a group or come back at a much higher level. But they seem to be put there more as a sort of tease!

I handed in the final quests back at the Senate Tower and just dinged Level 20 as I did so. I am now a whole planet overleveled and that is just as I want it!

Datacrons
I've collected all the datacrons on Coruscant. Some of them involved cheating! The one in Black Sun Territory I discovered I had got half-way there without help; there were some crates that looked as if they were meant for jumping but I hadn't worked out how to jump properly by that point and so had got a little way up and then gave up. The one in The Works I knew only that it related to pipes; other than that, I worked it out myself. I may try finding the ones on Taris on my own before looking them up.

Crafting
Further fuel on the fire of the outrageousness of crafting. I managed to sell blue Fortitude Enhancement 5s for 3k each. These cost me, of the order of, 170 credits to make. That's an astounding mark-up and I'm amazed people buy them at that. At this rate, making money is not going to be an issue! I do need to work on my crafting a bit more though as I'm behind my level in terms of what I can make.

Legacy
The legacy name is obtained at the end of chapter 1. Those of you who have achieved this, when is the end of chapter 1 (in terms of planets)?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 4:18 pm 
n00b 4 3v3r

Story
So I have begun my time on Taris. As you'd expect (well you should, even if you don't!), a lot of the story here relates to the story from KotOR. I still remember playing that and so I find the links back to it kind of cool. I remember helping the guy who came up with the Rakghoul serum that I'm now being tasked to find. I remember fighting the Rakghouls in the lower levels of Taris where you originally found Mission (the cute* little Twi'lek) and her Wookiee protector. Mission herself reminds me of Imoen from Baldur's Gate. The two characters seem rather alike (from what I remember). This also reminds me: I read somewhere that HK-47 is the best character that Bioware have ever written. I beg to differ! That title surely has to go to Minsc!

Anyway, on Taris. First thing I did was to take a serious look at equipment. I had been upgrading mine as I went but Qyzen's seemed to be underlevelled by about 5 levels. So I bought some more to up it a bit and burned through quite a few credits in the process. Part way through a class quest I made the mistake of jumping into a fire pit, which was quite funny!

Datacrons
I found my first datacron, more or less by accident. I worked out half the route to get to it and ended up jumping around for the best part of half an hour trying to find the start of the run. In a fit of frustration, I gave up and looked it up online! Still I get a half point for finding that one!

Combat
I've come to the conclusion that I'm doing it all wrong. I repeatedly find myself in situations where I've run out of Force to fight. And the reason is this: I'm playing the wrong class. I'm playing the Consular as a melee tank. It wasn't really designed as a melee tank. Healer? Yes. Force-powered DPS? Yes. Melee tank? No. There is just one sabre strike (ignoring the default attack) at level 20 ish and it's a single target attack. Really, I should have gone for Jedi Knight but I wanted a double-bladed lightsaber so I'm stuck with this counterproductive situation! Consular does apparently get an area sabre strike later on but I haven't got there yet. The silly thing is that the double-bladed sabre is ridiculously cool and they really could have made an effort to get a lot more funky animations in there. I'm also finding myself in silly situations where I'm surrounded by half a dozen easy targets and I'm forced to take them out one by one. Of course, I could use Force Wave but that throws them all away at the same time and I don't really want that when I'm trying to melee!

Social
This game is a lot more enjoyable when there are others on to chat with, even if it's just in guild chat. It makes a lot of difference to how much I enjoy a play session. I do want to group up more though. It's hard to do that when you're leveling unless you all level at roughly the same pace and stick around the same locations. I think there needs to be stuff done to improve the social aspects of the game.

* and in this context cute is defined as the adorable cute rather than the sexy cute. Given that Mission is effectively a teenager, the latter definition is somewhat wrong. The adorable cute itself has two definitions: the child form - "Ahh, that baby is soo cute!"; and the adult form. The perversion of this word from its original meaning to the "sexy cute" definition is a sort of bone of contention of mine (and here follows a mini rant). The original meaning (according to the Oxford English Dictionary (and what self-respecting, aspiring novelist does not own a copy of that?!)) of the word is "endearingly pretty" and it is incredibly useful in just that definition, particularly when used in the adult form. The description "pretty" sounds too childish or immature and "beautiful" is far too extravagant a word. "Cute" provides the perfect description for what it is. Not a word used as a synonym for "sexy" or "hot", but rather: "that is precisely the sort of girl I would happily marry". Of course, in the child form, it's simply a synonym for "adorable".

Random, but there you go!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 6:22 pm 
Spammer

X2-PB wrote:
Story
* and in this context cute is defined as the adorable cute rather than the sexy cute. Given that Mission is effectively a teenager, the latter definition is somewhat wrong. The adorable cute itself has two definitions: the child form - "Ahh, that baby is soo cute!"; and the adult form. The perversion of this word from its original meaning to the "sexy cute" definition is a sort of bone of contention of mine (and here follows a mini rant). The original meaning (according to the Oxford English Dictionary (and what self-respecting, aspiring novelist does not own a copy of that?!)) of the word is "endearingly pretty" and it is incredibly useful in just that definition, particularly when used in the adult form. The description "pretty" sounds too childish or immature and "beautiful" is far too extravagant a word. "Cute" provides the perfect description for what it is. Not a word used as a synonym for "sexy" or "hot", but rather: "that is precisely the sort of girl I would happily marry". Of course, in the child form, it's simply a synonym for "adorable".

+10,000!

Also, yes, I agree about the social stuff. It is harder to match up with people. However, one really cool thing when you do group is this:

Send one person back to turn in quests. Join their conversation by holocam, and complete the quest with them. Have them pick up new quests. While this is going on, you head to the next area where you do have quests already, and start killing things. The quest turner-inner (quest mule?) comes and joins you, and shares the new quests. You get XP, they get XP. They get credit for your group kills too. You cut your downtime by a lot sharing the running load this way. It is almost cheating, and totally worth it.

I've really started to get the hang of my Scoundrel class. I can heal so much, so fast now. I have an instant heal that doesn't take any energy, but it doesn't heal a ton either, and requires a status that will only stack twice. I've got it to where I can pretty much pop that thing continuously now and have it heal a decent amount, all while also doing a heal-over-time heal that just works on its own, interspersed with my big heals. I haven't tried it against even leveled elites, but against guys that are not too much below my level, it works great. I don't cause much damage, but I can keep Corso up to do it for me.

I still have problems getting gear, but I have four modable orange pieces now that I'm able to craft armor and mod parts for, so I can basically level up my own gear as I go. It isn't as pretty, but it is functional for now. I'll find some attractive moddable gear later.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2012 9:36 am 
n00b 4 3v3r

Crafting
My last set of sales, I decided to increase the price of my goods. I'm curious to see exactly how high I can raise my prices before people stop buying. To that end, I increased the price of my blue Fortitude Enhancement 3s from 500 credits to 1k, and my blue Fortitude Enhancement 5s from 3k to 4k. I sold 8 of the former and 2 of the latter and they all sold within a day (I put them up for a 2-Day period). Consider that these cost me 70 and 170 credits to make, respectively, that's a HUGE profit! I reckon I could raise the prices further still, until others get clued up and start to undercut me.

Alts
I've created a new alt called Antare (thanks Cet!) as a Jedi Knight (I'm actually starting to prefer Cet's pronunciation of the name (an-TAR-ay) than mine (an-TARE)). I was initially not really looking forward to replaying Tython but I have to say, I'm really impressed. Despite the fact that you are essentially doing the same things, the stories of the Consular and Knight are very different. They could have easily have been on different planets. And that was refreshing. I'm enjoying replaying Tython in a way that I didn't expect.

The Jedi Knight also plays differently, whereas with the Consular and Smuggler (granted, I'm only level 6 on the Smuggler) I've felt quite vulnerable in combat, with the Jedi Knight I can just wade in and fight my way out. Furthermore, it feels right. As I've said before, I've been trying to play the Consular as a melee tank and it doesn't really work because the class is designed more as a healer or closed-ranged mage type role (and I may respec it to one of those roles once I've completed the story). I've had to overlevel in order to feel like I'm on par with the challenge. As I said, I picked it for the double-bladed lightsaber. It was a very unpractical choice! The Jedi Knight, on the other hand, is a melee tank, through and through. There are plenty of sabre attacks at the earliest levels and none of them are useless as they either build focus or use focus. The Consular's basic attack is pretty much useless until you run out of Force and need something to do damage whilst you're waiting for it to regenerate.

In short, the Jedi Knight class suits me, and my play style, perfectly. The only downside is that I can't use the double-bladed lightsaber. I preferred the situation in KotOR, where you could wield a greater variety of weapons but I understand that, in an MMO, you have to better define the roles that the classes play.

Oh, and the only jarring thing about the story is that I've created an old character that looks at least 60-something and the story refers to him as a "young padawan"!!

Legacy
Legacy-wise, I'm starting to build a nice little family tree. Antare is the father with Antan as the son and Arianae, Antan's little sister. When they implement the family tree part of the Legacy system, that's going to be pretty cool!

Curious Thoughts
There's always this thing about relationships being forbidden for a Jedi. It seems to be a rule that is flaunted on a regular basis! But given that Force Sensitivity tends to run in families, how do you expect to maintain a Jedi Order if there are no relationships between Jedi?!

Anyone else see the irony of an Order that promotes Peace, Harmony and Meditation but that slaughters things in the hundreds or thousands when it suits the story?! Granted there's some cinematic licence here and a game (and movie) would be pretty dull otherwise, but still!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 1:16 am 
Spammer

X2-PB wrote:
Curious Thoughts
There's always this thing about relationships being forbidden for a Jedi. It seems to be a rule that is flaunted on a regular basis! But given that Force Sensitivity tends to run in families, how do you expect to maintain a Jedi Order if there are no relationships between Jedi?!

Relationships ≠ procreation/sex/'relations'/continuation of the Force-sensitive-types/whatever you want to call it

On the surface my statement seems very cold, shallow and probably the dream position of many people in the world today (but that's a different conversation altogether! :)). However, in our little fictional Star Wars universe, what better way for a Jedi to prove their complete control of themselves, complete knowledge of themselves, their own capacity to navigate any emotionally-fraught path without emotion than by playing their very own very vital part in the creation of new life without the formation of a relationship?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 1:21 pm 
Spammer

X2-PB wrote:
Legacy
The legacy name is obtained at the end of chapter 1. Those of you who have achieved this, when is the end of chapter 1 (in terms of planets)?

I got mine this weekend. I was level 33, and after completing a class quest chain on Alderaan, I had multiple follow-up class quest steps taking me back to Tatooine and Nar Shaddaa. Once the whole chain was complete, I had unlocked my Legacy, and my next class quest would take me to Balmora. So it is a ways into the game.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 7:02 pm 
n00b 4 3v3r

Rocklar wrote:
Relationships ≠ procreation/sex/'relations'/continuation of the Force-sensitive-types/whatever you want to call it

On the surface my statement seems very cold, shallow and probably the dream position of many people in the world today (but that's a different conversation altogether! :)). However, in our little fictional Star Wars universe, what better way for a Jedi to prove their complete control of themselves, complete knowledge of themselves, their own capacity to navigate any emotionally-fraught path without emotion than by playing their very own very vital part in the creation of new life without the formation of a relationship?
Interesting thought although every instance I'm aware of within the universe is of the emotional attachment kind.

Cetera wrote:
X2-PB wrote:
Legacy
I got mine this weekend. I was level 33, and after completing a class quest chain on Alderaan, I had multiple follow-up class quest steps taking me back to Tatooine and Nar Shaddaa. Once the whole chain was complete, I had unlocked my Legacy, and my next class quest would take me to Balmora. So it is a ways into the game.
Yeah, I've had a number of people confirm this now. It's going to take me a while to get there, although I could probably get through the planets at a rate of about one per week.

Story
Over the weekend, I completed Tython with Antare and I'm now working through Coruscant. I think that I'll carry on with Antare now and use him to get to the Legacy point. I'll use Antan's crafting to raise any funds required.

Voice Chat
I joined in on voice chat with Cetera, Dolent and some of Cet's work colleagues on Saturday. First time I've ever done that. For me, psychologically, it's quite a big leap from having typed conversations to voice. It's not really, but it feels like it. I'm going to have to do it a fair bit before I become comfortable with it. It was quite funny listening in to the conversations as there was lots of talk about pushing, and being pushed, off ledges! It was also amusing that they were referring to each other by their real names but calling me Antan (which, of course, is not my real name) and as I don't really know names other than forum identities (and as, to me, you all sounded similar) it was rather hard to tell who was whom!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 7:34 pm 
Spammer

X2-PB wrote:
Rocklar wrote:

Interesting thought although every instance I'm aware of within the universe is of the emotional attachment kind.

Those that immediately come to mind are Anakin and Padme; and Han and Leia. I know that there must be more but I've forgotten so much of the SW lore I've read in the past. What others are you thinking of?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 11:35 pm 
Spammer

X2-PB wrote:
Voice Chat
I joined in on voice chat with Cetera, Dolent and some of Cet's work colleagues on Saturday. First time I've ever done that. For me, psychologically, it's quite a big leap from having typed conversations to voice. It's not really, but it feels like it. I'm going to have to do it a fair bit before I become comfortable with it. It was quite funny listening in to the conversations as there was lots of talk about pushing, and being pushed, off ledges! It was also amusing that they were referring to each other by their real names but calling me Antan (which, of course, is not my real name) and as I don't really know names other than forum identities (and as, to me, you all sounded similar) it was rather hard to tell who was whom!

Yes, this was a great deal of fun!

I don't know that I know, or possibly don't remember, your real name. Since we all know each other, it is easy to just refer to each other normally. It was evergamer who was with us, by the way. They were force pushing elite mobs off of ledges in a flashpoint which we were running, making things a lot easier.

I am sure you got a kick out of me referring to my brother by the wrong name like 20 times. We definitely need to have more people in Vent. It really was great talking to you.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am 

<--Alarac = Ron.

:D

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 12:08 pm 
n00b 4 3v3r

Rocklar wrote:
Those that immediately come to mind are Anakin and Padme; and Han and Leia. I know that there must be more but I've forgotten so much of the SW lore I've read in the past. What others are you thinking of?
What!? You expect me to validate my assertions with actual examples?!! :P

Come to think of it, I can't think of many examples of relationships directly described (and I'm thinking mainly in the books here). I do vaguely recall cases where someone is described as a descendant of another (eg Satele and Bastila Shan) but, of course, there the nature of the original relationship is not known.

Also, I haven't read any of the books in years.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2012 1:30 pm 
Spammer

See? Jedi = the original free-love hippy!