Avian Gamers Network

Forum
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:06 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: New Patch Incoming...
PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 10:30 am 

http://forums.riftgame.com/showthread.p ... -Available!

Mages are getting some love... looks like some warriors are getting the nerf bat.

Rift/Gnarlwood: Nostro - Mage (Pyro/Necro/Chrolo - mancer) lvl 29
Rift/Gnarlwood: Stilgar - Cleric lvl 8

WoW days - Aegnor/Stilgar

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 1:58 pm 
Spammer

Looking forward to the warrior nerve. Hopefully our guild warriors are ok with the change (don't think they pvp much anyway).

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 4:24 pm 

Yeah, reading the main forums... there is rage from the warriors...

I am pretty happy, a blanket DPS upgrade for the Mages, blanket upgrade to all cloth armor... and changes to line of sight... I may be able to PvP more effectively!!!

Right now all it takes for me to die is a Warrior or Rogue deciding it is my time...

Rift/Gnarlwood: Nostro - Mage (Pyro/Necro/Chrolo - mancer) lvl 29
Rift/Gnarlwood: Stilgar - Cleric lvl 8

WoW days - Aegnor/Stilgar

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 7:20 pm 
Spammer

Fuck that nerf bs. If you change a class enough you need to offer a soul reset your doing it wrong.
Honestly makes me miss Guild Wars when they started having PVP versions of skills and the regular PVE.

The only reason the War's AOE works so well in PVP (warfronts - not world pvp) is because of the ridiculous bunching going on so often.

any case reaver just got hit hard. - at least they left our DOT threat gen alone - this will at least not cripple our tanking ability in groups

I don't know if Reaver was necessary op overall compared to other classes and builds - it was a hell of a self-sustaining tank which was fairly unique and decent solo as well as grouped. The downtime solo is not insignificant either, I find my self popping heals between fights otherwise I sit around waiting to heal back up from the bottom 1/4 health.

[rant]

* Soul Sickness, Flesh Rot, Necrotic Wounds, Blood Fever: The damage on additional targets when using Plague Bringer has been lowered. The Threat generation has been increased to keep overall threat gain of the abilities the same. This effectively nerfs the healing ability of a reaver as it is based on damage output - under lvl 30 this is crippling, perhaps it will be better later but as an example I can deal about 150dmg over 15s with soul sickness - not exactly game breaking
* Grisly Works: Moves up two tiers, now unlocked at 26 points. Now increases the healing of Soul Feast by 30-90% for 15 seconds after killing a target the Reaver has engaged. This tries to make up for the nerf to soul devour - and does make this skill actually worth getting perhaps. previously it just returned 3% of health on enemies death
* Soul Devour: Now increases the damage of Soul Feast by 50%, instead of 150%. -Only a 50% increase and 3 tiers higher up in the chair for the buff- not worth it and its not the damage it increases - its the healing percentage of damage dealt.
* Power from the Masses: Changed to give a stack per nearby party/raid member rather than per nearby enemy. This is just silly - the purpose of a reaver build is crowd control - the buff should be based on the crowd your controlling...
* Infestation: Cooldown increased to 1 minute, and damage increased based on the new cooldown. This just plain sucks - its a single target ability that holds for 8 seconds and then does some burst damage based on the number of dots applied. A 30 second cooldown was fine..

Flamespear may have been OP at lower levels but by all accounts it evens out later on and becomes much less useful. As far as a paladin - balance of power got cut in half. Reverent protection use to effect all nearby allies - now only 5? " Now only affects up to 5 targets" and is targets the people doing the damage or the people taking it - and who's picking the five? way to random for my like. Burning blood change is fairly harmless and may end up being about the same if not better at higher levels.
[/rant]

Former Head of Department of the Treasury
-------
Ask not what your PA can do for you, but what you can do for your PA
"Gone Section Five"

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 1:32 am 
Spammer

I did some more reading about the nerfs after I logged tonight. It does seem like the Warrior nerfs are too much. Very much similar to the Saboteur nerfs. Seems like Trion is taking the approach like Blizzard to nerf things to the ground and then maybe gradually bring them back up.

I do not know the details of what was making Warriors so tough to kill. I just know that they seemed to do crazy dps and absorb a lot of damage. Surely ratcheting back just a couple things would make their dps and healing back in line. What DF lists seems extreme.

The Sabo nerf is also somewhat warranted, but only to change the way crits were calculated (separate calcs for each charge vs. 1 calc for all charges) in order to prevent the proverbial 1-shot in WFs. The decrease in range and complete butchering of a core skill (Charge Booster) are crap changes. This is going to really gimp damage.

Nerfs and rebalancing are naturally going to happen but I was hoping Trion would not follow Blizzard's approach. So sad really.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 10:15 am 
Spammer

Angelus wrote:
Seems like Trion is taking the approach like Blizzard to nerf things to the ground and then maybe gradually bring them back up.

It's not really a Blizzard approach, so much as an industry approach.

You generally want to start conservative and ratchet items up, but sometimes you completely underestimate the power of an item and have to nerf it. When you nerf you want to nerf it down to the lowest level you think you can drop it to without making it useless, and then crank it up slowly as you fine tune. Very rarely to you have an exception where you try to limit your nerfing.

The bigger issue here is perception. As a player using these abilities you see them as cool, and/or integral and any nerf is then unfair, however the nerf is happening MORE to help you that to make the people not playing your class happy. It's more about long-term playability. Personally, I am expecting some major Nerfs to Rogues soon. May just be because I completely own enemies that are multiple levels above me, and I tend to do the most damage during Rifts compared to other combatants, but I am assuming it's not balanced even though it may have more to do with the fact that I'm a min-max player who calculates the most damage over the shortest period of time with the combos I use, and I notice others are not doing that.

DDO - Cannith - AlistairItor - Rogue/Ranger (5/3) - Main
DDO - Cannith - Guijanitor - Paladin/Rogue (4/1)
DDO - Cannith - RicochetItor - Rogue (5)

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2011 10:07 pm 
Spammer

So this is set to drop Wednesday or Thursday (pretty sure it's Thurs).

But, it looks like they pushed some of the smaller changes out in the last update. Wondering if they are going to keep doing that up until Thurs, and just drop the Event and a few leftovers Thurs morning.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 12:58 pm 
Spammer

So, is it patch day (I read some talk of Tuesday patch)? Did my rogue, and others' warriors get beat by the nerf bat?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 1:00 pm 
Spammer

It is Patch Day, however it hasn't been pushed out yet, as far as I know.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 2:18 pm 
Spammer

So, what are everyone's impressions post patch? I updated last night and saw my rogue's pts were refunded but I didn't get to play at all.