Avian Gamers Network

Forum
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:53 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 7:22 pm 

After posting the last two console topics some of you guys asked me my take on the 360. I also thought it would be somewhat appropriate to explain why I came to my earlier conclusions. Understand that I love the three horse race that we have in the console market today. When there is more competition it’s always the consumer that wins in the end. I fully intend to purchase all three eventually, but for now I’m happy with the purchase of my 360. This is a big step for me, as I fully expected to have console envy last Nov. 17th and 19th.

I am certainly no fanboy of Microsoft, but as of right now I do think that with all things considered the 360 is the best system for the money. My opinion may change once the PS3 hits it's stride, but for now there are multiple reasons that I'm not in PS3/Wii envy, and I'll list them below.

Oooh, pretty!
Graphically, the 360 is on par with the PS3, and obviously dominates the Wii. Due to the control innovations, the Wii graphics factor is non-issue to me, but the PS3 is a shocker. I fully expected to be blown away by the PS3 and I wasn't. Don't get me wrong, the titles look good, (I finally saw the ATV racing title up close at my local EB) but they don’t look like theE3 Killzone 2 Trailermade me think they were going to look; and for $200 more and all the hype, I expected to be blown away. I understand that these titles are launch titles and that there is always a graphical learning curve that the console programmers must adapt to for each new console. I agree that it's unfair to compare the PS3's launch titles against 1 year titles like Gears of War. But GRAW, Oblivion and COD2 at the 360's launch looked as good as the material I've seen from the PS3’s launch, and that was a year ago. I have yet to see a cross platform title side-by-side comparison between the 360 and PS3, so I will withhold my personal judgment until then. But for now, it doesn't look like the difference is going to justify the extra price and year long delay.

Bringin’ the “A” game baby!
We all know that it’s the titles that will make or break a system. This section will vary tremendously from person to person, but I personally am more excited about the 360 exclusives than the PS3 exclusives. I think the console you owned during the last generation will have a large impact on the titles (and their sequels) you will be drawn to. (For example, I never played Devil May Cry so I'm not all that psyched about the 4th installment.) During the last generation I had both the xbox and a ps2, (I also borrowed Cordalis’s Gamecube to play Windwaker, Super Smash Bros, Metroid Prime, and Resident Evil 4) so I like to think that my experience was the best of both worlds.
There are some great PS3 exclusive sequels that I'm excited about, such as Metal Gear Solid 4, God of War 3, and FF XIII. Heavenly Sword also looks like it will be a strong new exclusive property. My wish list for the PS3 has 4 games on it, not bad; But when you compare that to the list of 360 exclusives that I'm excited about: Mass Effect, BioShock, Halo 3, Gears of War, Alan Wake, Overlord, Fable 2, KOTOR 3, and Lost Planet, the PS3 line up pales a bit.
As for cross platform titles, like Assassin's Creed and Army of Two it will be a toss up. If the PS3 hits it's stride and starts blowing the graphical doors off of the 360 I will naturally prefer to play the PS3 versions of cross-platform titles. (As I preferred the xbox titles during the last gen). But as of right now the difference I see is next to nothing. Also there is the realization that the game models will not generally be remade with more polys from the 360 for the PS3, so the realistic difference will be a texture, draw distance, or particle upgrade if any at all.

Hold me…
Microsoft finally got the controller just right, after the original xbox controller size and button layout debacle I think that they just decided “if you cant beat em, copy em!” The new 360 controller is modeled after the Microsoft s-type controller, which was in turn modeled after the ps2 controller. The trigger and button layout are excellent and the weight is perfect. Now that I’ve gone wireless, I’ll never go back. The PS3 controller basically the same as the PS2 (Why change a good thing?), but slightly less ergonomic than the new 360 controller. The big innovation for the PS3 is the new six axis sensitivity. I’m a bit skeptical of this, as I feel it was tacked on at the last minute after Sony saw the public reaction to Nintendo’s Wiimote control scheme. We will have to see how it is implemented. I think the concept could be fantastic, even with the sacrifice of rumble functionality, but much depends on the implementation of motion sensing in the games and sensitivity of the controller. It seems to me that though the addition of the motion sensitivity is nice, if you want real motion sensitivity you should go buy a Wii.

Hello, you there?
Without any hands on experience with the PS3 I can’t say how their online strategy will factor in to the overall experience. I have heard that it will be free, and that is a welcome change to the $60 a year Microsoft charges for their full featured Live service. Unfortunately there are just too many questions about Sony’s system that need to be answered. Microsoft does have a slight advantage in the fact that it has been managing a highly populated online console service for over 3 years now. While Sony, though it has managed multiple online pc titles via SOE to varying levels of success, is new to the online console market.
All I can speak of from first hand experience is the 360’s online system. Though there is a cost, Xbox Live is relatively cheap. $5 a month includes the ability to download HD movies and TV shows for a nominal fee each, while trailers, demos, and online gaming are all included. The most interesting aspect about the live accounts is the gamer score. It is basically a point total that is attached to your account. You receive gamer score points by completing various objectives in games. Every game has a total of 1000 points to add to your gamer score. When I first heard about this feature I thought it was superfluous, but I have to say that in practice it is highly addictive. As Angelus can attest to, the addition of gamer score points to a game dramatically increase it’s replay value. I have heard that the PS3 will update it’s system to follow suit, a wise move on their part. Both consoles have implemented an in game voice chat, and since I always had problems with Teamspeak and other computer communication programs, this is a welcome addition.

Below is a really interesting article that explains some of the pros and cons between the processor tech in the two systems. Topics such as ease of programming and memory and processor allocation are discussed. You computer science guys will get a ton out of it. Very informative. http://dpad.gotfrag.com/portal/story/35372/?spage=1

Anyways, those are my thoughts, I hope this can generate some interesting conversations. I look forward to hearing some of your opinions and comments, especially if any of you have had some hands on time with a PS3.

Edit: I forgot the best part about getting a 360, you have people like Angelus, BigYak and I to game with!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 10:19 am 

Madson wrote:
Edit: I forgot the best part about getting a 360, you have people like Angelus, BigYak and I to game with!

:shock:

Thanks for the post, mate. I would have to say there is a small chance of me getting any console but it for sure would be a 360 after this. You rock.

I, too, am not a big fan of MS, but they seem to recognize thier errors better than some companies, like Sony.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 10:35 am 
Site Admin

Great post!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 11:41 am 
Spammer

Great post Mads. I can easily second all of your comments.

I am not one of the people whose sole goal is to rack up as many achievement points as possible, but it is kinda interesting to see what games your buddies have played and how your achievements stack up against them.

I personally cannot wait for Mass Effect to launch, hopefully around March/April 2007. My hometown Bioware boys know how to make a good action RPG, and they will not disappoint here.

Oh and BigYak, accept my friend request! Don't you love me?

Post subject: Clarification
PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2006 9:17 am 

I wasn't trying to imply that Angelus is an achievement whore, or that he's all about looking good on his gamerscore. We all know he's not appearances. It's just that he's the only other person I have discussed the achievement point system with.

To be honest, I'm much worse than he is. I have this "thing" (As most of you are nerds as well, I think you will understand) in games where I'm not really happy untill I beat an entire game. The older I get the worse I get. It's stupid really. I want to rescue ALL of the hostages, get ALL of the secondary objectives, etc... I've been this way since long before goldeneye on the N64, but that's the first example that game to mind. Sadly, the gamerscore just perpetuates my illness.

Post subject: Re: Clarification
PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2006 11:57 am 

Madson wrote:
To be honest, I'm much worse than he is. I have this "thing" (As most of you are nerds as well, I think you will understand) in games where I'm not really happy untill I beat an entire game. The older I get the worse I get. It's stupid really. I want to rescue ALL of the hostages, get ALL of the secondary objectives, etc...

And speaking from personal experience...it's occasionally annoying to play with someone *cough cough* who likes to hit every single objective, when you just really want to make it through quick and safe.

I don't see myself picking up any of the new systems anytime soon, as far as family budget decisions go, the systems apparently don't fit into my 'responsible' budget :cry: Oh well, we'll see.... I did just get a decent bonus in my bankroll, but i'm being prodded with 'responsible' usage of that money. And you don't want to anger your bedmate. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2006 9:47 pm 
Site Admin

Was so close to buying a 360 today at bestbuy. Had to get out of the store before I snapped.

...though I think I'll be back!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2006 10:19 pm 
Spammer

Dudes, if you can find a way to sweet-talk your way into a 360, it is definitely money well spent.

Heck, I am even thinking of getting my GF "Viva Pinata" as part of her Christmas presents this year. Part Sims, part ANimal Crossing. Only downside to that is she would cut into my 360 time... but I guess then I could always hop into WoW hehe.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 8:21 am 

That is halarious, I was thinking of getting Jen either Viva Pinata or a DS. While we were up in Panama City over Thanksgiving, she was playing my cousin's DS (Trauma Center and Brain Age) and she was really getting in to it. I have to admit that I was impressed as well, the stylus is a really interesting tweak to the gameplay. My relatives thought I was crazy cause on one of the warioware games you have to blow on a mic (located right above the screen). So I'm sitting on the couch making all of this noise blowing my brains out when I look up and everyone is staring at me. Awkward.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 12:28 pm 
Spammer

Madson, thanks for this thread. Honestly, it's threads like these that keep me coming back to Avian.

On a side note, I played Call of Duty 3 over the Thanksgiving holiday and I am completely set on buying a 360 as soon as I can. Great game.

"Perhaps the sentiments contained in the following pages, are not yet sufficiently fashionable to procure them general favor; a long habit of not thinking a thing wrong, gives it a superficial appearance of being right, and raises at first a formidable outcry in defence of custom. But the tumult soon subsides." - Thomas Paine, Common Sense

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 1:05 pm 
Spammer

Talon1977 wrote:
Madson, thanks for this thread. Honestly, it's threads like these that keep me coming back to Avian.

On a side note, I played Call of Duty 3 over the Thanksgiving holiday and I am completely set on buying a 360 as soon as I can. Great game.

Also pick up Call of Duty 2. Can get it dirt cheap these days and from what I read (haven't played CoD3 yet) CoD2 is the better of the two. Sure you can't play as Canadian soldiers, but for the money right now CoD2 kicks butt. Got my copy for $10. Now to get going and finish it on hard difficulty.

Post subject: Re: Clarification
PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 3:15 pm 

Cordalis wrote:
And speaking from personal experience...it's occasionally annoying to play with someone *cough cough* who likes to hit every single objective, when you just really want to make it through quick and safe.

Just think, if you get a 360 I can annoy you long distance just the way I used to in college! Besides, I lengthen the overall gaming experience by dieing over and over again, longer fun is better fun, right?

Cordalis wrote:
I don't see myself picking up any of the new systems anytime soon, as far as family budget decisions go, the systems apparently don't fit into my 'responsible' budget :cry: Oh well, we'll see.... I did just get a decent bonus in my bankroll, but i'm being prodded with 'responsible' usage of that money. And you don't want to anger your bedmate. :)

Correction: You don't want to anger your bedmate. I can anger her all I want. I say that bonus should go towards a 360. If you buy one, I'll get you GoW for xmas.

Besides, what is more responsible than protecting your mental health and sanity. You had to move all the way out to isolation in the tourist hole that is Kissimmee / St. Cloud, at least through the 360 we can hang out, drink beer and play video games like we used to in college without the annoying 50min drive. Not to mention the 50 min drunk drive back.

You should come over this weekend to check it out. I might have a Wii by then as well.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 3:28 pm 

Talon1977 wrote:

Thanks, I'm glad that someone got somthng out of it. I feel a little disconnected now that I've been WoW clean about 4 months or so. I guess I'm more into the consoles since it's the turning of a generation and since my machine could barely run wow. The fact that all of the cool PC games that are out now are way out of my computer's league keeps me away from the PC.

Talon1977 wrote:

I read the reviews that Angelus was referring to about COD2 > COD3, but I think that's just the repetition talking. I think that the reviewers were looking for more innovation in the single player campaign. I agree that COD2 for $10 is a steal though, and it will keep you busy untill the price on COD3 drops, especially on vetran mode... Sometimes those auto saves are a bitch!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 4:31 pm 
Spammer

Quote:
I guess I'm more into the consoles since it's the turning of a generation and since my machine could barely run wow. The fact that all of the cool PC games that are out now are way out of my computer's league keeps me away from the PC.

Welcome to the club. :P

"Perhaps the sentiments contained in the following pages, are not yet sufficiently fashionable to procure them general favor; a long habit of not thinking a thing wrong, gives it a superficial appearance of being right, and raises at first a formidable outcry in defence of custom. But the tumult soon subsides." - Thomas Paine, Common Sense

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 5:39 pm 

Finally! Somone did a side by side comparison between the PS3 and the 360. An interesting turn out.

Check it out:

http://www.gamespot.com/features/6162742/index.html